PDA

View Full Version : OMG - Matrix Ozik TP HD Experiment!!!

TourFit
28th June 2011, 12:35 PM
Can't remember if I posted this story or not...?

A young Asian customer of mine came in to ask for some advice whethet I can build the 'best driver ever made'...I kid you not, they were his exact words!

He brought in one of his current drivers, which had the Matrix Ozik Altus LT shaft in it. His thoughts were to get a new R11 and put in it the Matrix Ozik TP HD5 (the retail $1000 shaft!). When I asked why (actually, it was WTFF), he stated that he liked the Altus and the TP HD is more expensive and it must be better, right?

SIGH.

Anyway, he came in yesterday with a brand new R11 with stock Blur, an R11 tip, a White Iomic Sticky 2.0 grip... and a shiny new white Matrix Ozik TP HD5 (which he paid full retail for...$1000). His first question was, can you check and see if this driver is fake....

BWAHAHAHAH....

Luckily it wasn't (or didn't seem to be!). He paid $399 for it.

He brought it to me but I wasn't able to do it there and then while he waited...so I said to leave it with me and that I'd put the R11 tip onto the shaft, but leave it uncut and we would cut to length and grip it at pick-up. NO WAY! He HAD to be there while I did it. (I don't know whether to feel insulted or not?)

Apparently he is coming in today...but I said that depending on when he just 'rocks up', I may not be available to do it right there on the spot while he waits. Also, the fact that he has bought EVERYTHING (R11 tip, grip etc) means that I can only charge him installation and labour time...and I'm not sure whether I should hammer him for it or not, such as $75 or something?

Anyway, in reality his prime motivation was NOT to get the best driver at all...he said he hits the other one (with the Altus) great, but feels that the extra $$$ spent will give him a better one. My point was, that for $1000+ I'd want to hit a shaft like that first!!! He seemed more excited about the fact that it would be an ALL WHITE driver...head, shaft & grip.

WHAT A WANKER.

(He should join OzGolf!)

3oneday
28th June 2011, 12:37 PM
Does he play off 15 or less ?

Captain Nemo
28th June 2011, 12:37 PM
TF, mind i ask what he plays off (to determine if he is a true (WAnker)!

MegaWatty
28th June 2011, 12:38 PM
I hope he doesn't read Ozgolf!

TourFit
28th June 2011, 12:38 PM
I believe he is off about 15 or so...

...he IS a wanker!!!

Steve57
28th June 2011, 12:40 PM
He already is a WAnker isn't he!!:lol::lol:

Yossarian
28th June 2011, 12:41 PM
You are such a customer friendly guy fit.

Steve57
28th June 2011, 12:43 PM
Remember the customer is always right!!

Captain Nemo
Love it, nice TF!

just
If he bought a $1000 shaft why didn't he just buy the R11 retail? Or if he did why did he think it was fake?

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2011, 01:24 PM
Was there a dent on the crown of the R11?

Jarro
28th June 2011, 01:45 PM
Is he taller than you 'Fit ?

rubin
28th June 2011, 02:39 PM
That would happen quite a bit wouldn't it 'Fit?

Was there a dent on the crown of the R11?

doubt it - but im not asian, and mine didn't cost anywhere near $1000.

Nice try though.

chappy1970
28th June 2011, 02:41 PM
TF,
I think the install charges you are stewing over may well be a non-issue for someone who just dropped $1000+ on a shaft alone.

He appears to be a club HO in it's truest form and as such probably represents a reasonable repeat business prospect. Having said that if I was doing the install I'd charge accordingly, it appears that $$ is not major factor in his decision making process.

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2011, 03:02 PM
That would happen quite a bit wouldn't it 'Fit?

doubt it - but im not asian, and mine didn't cost anywhere near $1000.

Nice try though.

If you were, we'd call you Lubin, but then people might confuse you with Yoss.

Scifisicko
28th June 2011, 03:03 PM
$1000 for a 50g shaft....<sigh>, wonder if i could stick two of them in a head to make it twice as good as the best driver ever. Great story.

dc68
28th June 2011, 03:08 PM
Did Alo move west? ;)

rubin
28th June 2011, 03:12 PM
If you were, we'd call you Lubin, but then people might confuse you with Yoss.

Wouldn't t it be mistaaaar Wubeen?

simmsy
28th June 2011, 03:22 PM
'Fit if you charge this Muppet less than $150 for the install i will be disappointed in your business skills. this guy does not care about price and just wants it done. if he comes in (hopefully no actual customers in at the time) say "you are just finishing off something or would you like it done right away?" of course he will say "do it now prease." if you were thinking of $75 you've got rocks in your head you won't miss $75 and he's got more money than he knows what to do with. Charge like a young bull mate, who else can do it in Perth? i can only think of one bloke and it's not Sean from harty.

3oneday
28th June 2011, 03:25 PM
Does he want to watch you glue the tip on ?

Kinky.

IanO
28th June 2011, 03:56 PM
So ... he hasn't even asked how much to fit it?

What you should do is paint a set of your forged irons white and tell him that these would be perfect to go with his new driver :mrgreen:

Captain Nemo
28th June 2011, 04:00 PM
Get him on Ozgolf!
Once he deosnt like the shaft, imagine the cheapie we'll all get!!!!

3oneday
28th June 2011, 04:18 PM
Or the bollocking he'll get when he lists the club for $1200 :lol:

Golfnut
28th June 2011, 04:20 PM
'Fit if you charge this Muppet less than $150 for the install i will be disappointed in your business skills. this guy does not care about price and just wants it done. if he comes in (hopefully no actual customers in at the time) say "you are just finishing off something or would you like it done right away?" of course he will say "do it now prease." if you were thinking of $75 you've got rocks in your head you won't miss $75 and he's got more money than he knows what to do with. Charge like a young bull mate, who else can do it in Perth? i can only think of one bloke and it's not Sean from harty.

I was thinking more like $300 'Fit.....seriously!.....I've seen these kind of guys in the past when I used to mod cars, money is no barrier.

rubin
28th June 2011, 04:31 PM
Actually based on this guys logic, if u charge him 500 to fit it, he'll think it's even better, and that u used special glue etc.

Golfnut
28th June 2011, 04:34 PM
Titanium grit in the glue.

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2011, 04:43 PM
I just hope fit uses enough glue, right Simmsy?

Nuffie
28th June 2011, 05:07 PM
What is wrong with this guy? Gee, some ppl just dont get it ay, more money than sense it seems? I reckon slug him 'Fit.

Reminds me of this Asian dude I saw once driving in the Sydney CBD. He had about a $5K sound system (with subs, disco ball and a lazer light show going full blast - in a Datsun lucky to be worth $500).

It breaks down in the middle of George Street on a Sat night at 7.15pm, whilst he's going round a corner 8).

Every other car in the city is honking their horn and screaming abuse, BUT he's just sitting there - dancing away in his car seat completely oblivious to what has just happened :mrgreen:.

I wonder if these guys are related?

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2011, 05:22 PM
Let me guess Nuff. It was during your disco biscuit era and you were dancing along as well?

Nuffie
28th June 2011, 05:27 PM
Let me guess Nuff. It was during your disco biscuit era and you were dancing along as well?

Nah not this time. I was pointing and laughing with the rest of the CBD bystanders, outside QVB.

But I was walking on the way to... well u were on the right track.

SUBLIME for some Nick Fish and Amber Savage beats (doof)! :)

tommyg
28th June 2011, 05:30 PM
Fit... if you wanna make some money explain to him that the best driver ever will no way have an r11 head... and the if he wants the best he needs an expert like you to source him the finest tour issued japanese driver head of all time and take him to the cleaners with your mark-up and fee. Of course, it'd be unethical to put together something that you dont beleive to be the best.... so see it as a challenge, enjoy it, and make some dosh in the meantime. This sounds like a lonely clubmaking nerds dream....

Golfnut
28th June 2011, 06:13 PM
......This sounds like a lonely clubmaking nerds dream....

As long as 'Fit has his voice, he'll never be lonely, even if it's the first sign of madness.

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2011, 06:32 PM
Hey Nut, I've got sir walter that really suffered in the heat this summer. I have been left with some very small bare patches.

Is there something that I can put on it in the wet season that will help facilitate growth? What would you recommend?

Golfnut
28th June 2011, 06:50 PM
Nice thread-jack!

Not a lot you can do JC, most Buffalo varieties go fairly dormant this time of the year unless they have been fertilized at the right time before the cold sets in.....best thing to do is add a thin layer of top soil to the patches.
Bailey's have a good, bagged lawn dressing (can't remember the name) you can use for this.......it's much easier to handle in bags. Also a good idea to seasol and powerfeed around those areas to push the runners along to cover the new top soil.....results will be slow.

EDIT. It's called Baileys Lawn Reviver.

Ferrins
28th June 2011, 06:53 PM
Can you build me a better driver?

live4golf
28th June 2011, 06:58 PM
surely it would be a Srixon driver???

Pieface
28th June 2011, 07:00 PM
Hey Nut, I've got sir walter that really suffered in the heat this summer. I have been left with some very small bare patches.

Is there something that I can put on it in the wet season that will help facilitate growth? What would you recommend?

Bag-o-shit. Come last at a 'nut sponsored Ozgolf event to receive.

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2011, 07:04 PM
Cheers nut.

Back to our scheduled programming.

Golfnut
28th June 2011, 07:11 PM
Bag-o-shit. Come last at a 'nut sponsored Ozgolf event to receive.

Yeah that went down well.

MegaWatty
28th June 2011, 08:36 PM
Canuck, get out and aerate it whilst its raining!

markTHEblake
28th June 2011, 08:40 PM
TF, surely you have a standard pricing model for such a job. I cant imagine why you would want to consider charging him more (or why some people would suggest you do) two tier pricing is unethical, leave that to for the gold coast.

FWIW if I get someone to make my clubs, I want to watch him doing it. It also helps me understand why he is doing certain things and why it will work, and certainly gives me a better appreciation of the value of the work.

MegaWatty
28th June 2011, 08:43 PM
What about the fact that he is dealing with a more expensive shaft, Blakey? The cost to him should something happen is a lot higher.

To protect himself rather than rip someone off is a fair reason.

simmsy
28th June 2011, 08:46 PM
If someone is asking you to do it sooner rather than later you have every right to charge more. Fit has a line up of work and if this guy is wanting to have it done ASAP he has to pay a premium price. This of course doesn't relate back to me when I call in on him asking him to do a shaft change.

markTHEblake
28th June 2011, 08:48 PM
Interesting fact, but I dont know what TF could be held liable for.

virge666
28th June 2011, 09:25 PM
Fit,

If you want this bloke to come back - and I reckon you probably do as he may be worth a bit of cash to you... get him involved.

Take him out back and show him the kind of work you do - show him all your toys, the attention to detail and the accuracy you can provide. Let him sit and watch and absorb the quality of a true clubfitter.

Next time he goes to an OEM who have a swing weight scale and a ruler - he will see what he has been missing.

Bring home the whale !

markTHEblake
28th June 2011, 10:35 PM
get him involved.

sounds like thats what he wanted !

Actually I probably increase my labour costs with my clubmaker, with constant "whats that" "whats this for" "why did you do that", and worst of all "ooops"

dave1
28th June 2011, 11:59 PM
Ok guys just think outside the box a smidgen

why do people need sports cars with a sun roof or a roof folds back when a normal car goes A to B the same.....?

why do people spend shit loads on car stereos yet spend 10 minutes a day driving?

why do people spend $500 on Italian shoes that mostly sit under a desk in an office?

why do people fly first class?

why do some people buy new phones every 3 months....?

well because they can....and its kind of a hobby i suppose...if that ticks a box in his life and they are happy who are we to criticise.....?

seems to me...and only seems when people make judgements about others who have a money they make negative statements like what a tosser are in some ways just showing a hint of jealousy.

And sure seems odd he wants the most expsensive...but if you lok at the other examples I gave then in some small way all of us are probably tossers in some way if we go by that criteria.....all of us pobably buy thinsg we really dont need.

Do I need foxtell not really...but its nice...do i need smartphone android thingy....not really but hey...

does this guy need maxtrix HD shaft.....probably not but hey who is he hurting by doing so.

if he can afford and hes happy good on him.....

rubin
29th June 2011, 01:00 AM
I don't think we are calling the guy a tool/ wanker etc for spending $1000 on a shaft- plenty of guys do on here and they don't cop shit for it.

the point is that the guy, goes to a professional for advice and a solution, and then disregards fits advice (I'm sure there would had been some/alot) and then goes and spends a grand on a shaft that sounds as though he has never gamed or hit before.

He's going on the principal of, it costs more, so it's better, which isn't true. That's why he's copping it. If u want to spend the money - great. But at least make sure that ur spending it on something that will improve your game.

3oneday
29th June 2011, 08:00 AM

why
why
why
why
why

Why does your shift key only work every now and then?

BroKar
29th June 2011, 09:24 AM

why do people need sports cars with a sun roof or a roof folds back when a normal car goes A to B the same.....?

why do people spend shit loads on car stereos yet spend 10 minutes a day driving?

why do people spend $500 on Italian shoes that mostly sit under a desk in an office?

why do people fly first class?

why do some people buy new phones every 3 months....?

well because they can....and its kind of a hobby i suppose...if that ticks a box in his life and they are happy who are we to criticise.....?

seems to me...and only seems when people make judgements about others who have a money they make negative statements like what a tosser are in some ways just showing a hint of jealousy.

And sure seems odd he wants the most expsensive...but if you lok at the other examples I gave then in some small way all of us are probably tossers in some way if we go by that criteria.....all of us pobably buy thinsg we really dont need.

Do I need foxtell not really...but its nice...do i need smartphone android thingy....not really but hey...

does this guy need maxtrix HD shaft.....probably not but hey who is he hurting by doing so.

if he can afford and hes happy good on him.....

Is the man in question a relation Dave?

just
29th June 2011, 09:28 AM
dave1
Have you ever worked in a sports store?

PeteyD
29th June 2011, 09:37 AM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q217/brownsbabe/South%20Park/cartman.jpg

IanO
29th June 2011, 09:43 AM
Fit,

If you want this bloke to come back - and I reckon you probably do as he may be worth a bit of cash to you... get him involved.

Take him out back and show him the kind of work you do - show him all your toys, the attention to detail and the accuracy you can provide. Let him sit and watch and absorb the quality of a true clubfitter.

Next time he goes to an OEM who have a swing weight scale and a ruler - he will see what he has been missing.

Bring home the whale !

Virge has it right ... no need to jack up your prices, just provide him with your usual service and he will be back with wallet in hand.

Jarro
29th June 2011, 09:44 AM
Virge has it right ... no need to jack up your prices, just provide him with your usual service and he will be back with wallet in hand.

^^^^ this

TourFit
29th June 2011, 04:43 PM
I was thinking more like $300 'Fit.....seriously!.....I've seen these kind of guys in the past when I used to mod cars, money is no barrier.

Vi sono Napoletana?

Fit... This sounds like a lonely clubmaking nerds dream....

Watch who you call a clubmaker, mate!!!

As long as 'Fit has his voice, he'll never be lonely, even if it's the first sign of madness.

But I seem to know the answers to my own questions, even before I ask them! :-s

Can you build me a better driver?

No...I've heard you're crap. :mrgreen:

TF, surely you have a standard pricing model for such a job. I cant imagine why you would want to consider charging him more (or why some people would suggest you do) two tier pricing is unethical, leave that to for the gold coast...

I do have a kind of standard price...just wanted to know some people's thoughts!

If someone is asking you to do it sooner rather than later you have every right to charge more. Fit has a line up of work and if this guy is wanting to have it done ASAP he has to pay a premium price. This of course doesn't relate back to me when I call in on him asking him to do a shaft change.

TRUE DAT! :roll:

Fit, if you want this bloke to come back - and I reckon you probably do as he may be worth a bit of cash to you... get him involved.

Bring home the whale !

Spot on!

To answer the question, I charged him my standard rate + some more for the few extras he had me do (and the extra care I took doing it) + some more for the extra time he spent asking me questions.

He was happy, I was reasonably happy, his girlfriend (who is also a ho...club ho that is!) was happy.

He hit it and LOVED IT! Now his girlfriend is thinking of getting one for herself (in a R flex!). :roll:

He came back in today for another small adjustment for length and grip thickness, so I charged him some more for doing that small job too...

And on a side note...when I first flex tested it and flo'ed it in the freq machine, I heard a small cracking sound MIDWAY down the shaft (sounded like it had a lengthways crack or fracture...). I asked him if he had heard that and he said he had. It happened again when I tested it AFTER the head was on and cut to length...it happened again today when I shortened it and freq tested it at the shorter length to see how much it stiffened up.

He told me that he spoke to Matrix in the USA about it and they said it would have been paint movement at the point of tip prepping...NO, it was midway up! They also said to play with it for two weeks and if he wasn't happy to send it back and they would replace it. It was sent in the normal plastic type shaft bag but was also contained in a sealed plastic tube with foam bungs at each end (see what the $1000 gets you!).

chappy1970
29th June 2011, 04:57 PM
Gee Fit, if i had heard the crack it would have been brown undie time.

Ned
29th June 2011, 05:02 PM

He most probably has a pair of Adidas grundies in AndyP's fav colour anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!

MegaWatty
29th June 2011, 05:04 PM
What about the fact that he is dealing with a more expensive shaft, Blakey? The cost to him should something happen is a lot higher.

To protect himself rather than rip someone off is a fair reason.

Did I jinx this?

Pieface
29th June 2011, 05:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyDJl9lO89A&feature=related

He doesn't wear them for no reason!

MegaWatty
29th June 2011, 06:09 PM
Then he would have had PUMA pants on.

TourFit
29th June 2011, 06:18 PM
Nah...all good. Knew it wasn't me.

I had just taken it off him and put straight into the feq machine to flo and to show him that the spine was very small & insubstantial in that particular shaft, which it was by the way. Any orientation and with very little elliptical movement...almost perfect!

I was also very careful with the clamp pressure on the butt (especially as it's a 50 something gram shaft)...my initial thought, and still the most likely result, is that it was the clamp pressure was not enough and there was initial movement there when I put the shaft under load!

To paraphrase hocko...the brown undies would have still had 3 Stripe skid marks though!!!

Eldrick
29th June 2011, 09:20 PM
you have 3 assholes?

MegaWatty
29th June 2011, 09:23 PM
Looks like it.

Johnny Canuck
29th June 2011, 09:36 PM
You didn't let Hocko touch the shaft first, did you Fit?

MegaWatty
29th June 2011, 09:39 PM
Nope. Hocko had to buy him a drink before touching it.

Golfnut
29th June 2011, 10:04 PM
Nope. Hocko had to buy him a drink before touching it.

You didn't let Hocko touch the shaft first, did you Fit?

No homo?

Johnny Canuck
29th June 2011, 10:06 PM
Both homos.

Captain Nemo
24th March 2015, 01:45 PM
This cowboy still using this driver?