PDA

View Full Version : Chipping & Pitching tips. Inside 75m

Leon Phelps
28th June 2011, 12:01 PM
Inside 75m seems to be my biggest issue at present.
Any tips you guys have which can help.
Thanks.

AndyP
28th June 2011, 12:13 PM
Layup to 75m or more?

Leon Phelps
28th June 2011, 12:17 PM
I try to, but when it doesn't always work out that way....

Ferrins
28th June 2011, 12:25 PM
Hit it close, below the hole:)

AndyP
28th June 2011, 12:26 PM
Then do the opposite. Keep putting yourself in that situation and you'll get better at it. They are feel shots, that you only get good at through practice.

Daves
28th June 2011, 12:29 PM
Depends on the shot options. If a bump and run is on, then I use PW to 8i depending on where I want to land the ball, and how much green I have to work with. If I need to fly it, will use a wedge; 56 or 52 currently, sometimes carry 54/60 depending on the course.

You have to hit down, I watch the spot just in front of the ball to ensure I hit the ball first with a descending blow..

Steve57
28th June 2011, 12:31 PM
Weight on left foot (for right handers), ball in middle of stance, hands well in front of clubhead.
Distance is determined by length of swing: ie. half way back, three quarter way back or all way back.
Get out on practice fairway and work out distances each club goes at half, three quarter and full swing.
Practice, practice, practice!!!

razaar
28th June 2011, 12:58 PM
Learn to swing shut-faced with all your short shots. This means keeping the clubface looking at the ball for as long as possible. In chipping, the right arm stays relaxed & extended with the right elbow barely moving. The power is from the shoulders rocking. The same thing with pitching only the power is from a shoulder turn. The hands get behind the right elbow in pitching with the elbow leading the hands on the downswing. Everything in the golf swing is controlled by the leading forearm and hand.

Captain Nemo
28th June 2011, 01:08 PM
I try to, but when it doesn't always work out that way....

Get a Sonnocaddie and that way you CAN lay up to fav distance, JAT!

markTHEblake
28th June 2011, 01:41 PM
three x 3
3 wedges
3 grips
3 swings

go out and hit 5 balls with one option and measure the average. then another, and another. you wont need need to measure every option as the pattern in you matrix will emerge and you can fill in the blanks. The end result is that you should have every distance covered in 5 m gaps from about 40 to 90.

it might not be as accurate as a pro needs but if you are losing shots in this range then you can only improve.

you will find that when you start hitting more greens your confidence will increase.

gazgolf1
28th June 2011, 03:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1k0sMCWucM

ask Phil.

TheNuclearOne
28th June 2011, 04:53 PM
For your standard 1/2 to 3/4 pitches you want an early wrist set on the backswing to ensure you are coming down on the ball enough and not sweeping too much. Hit down to make the ball go up pitching and don't flip at it. Get the set right with no flip and it's a really crisp feel and you can nip it well off tighter lies.

Daggs
28th June 2011, 07:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1k0sMCWucM

ask Phil.

Leftys about the only one you would trust with that !!!!

Lagerlover
28th June 2011, 08:25 PM
Thankyou for this thread.
I am either shanking or, if I concentrate on weight to the front leg I block the ball 20m to the left.... it's like the yips but with more margin for error.

virge666
28th June 2011, 09:15 PM
Phils DVD.

You just cannot go wrong with his method.

IanO
30th June 2011, 09:08 AM
Phils DVD.

What Virge said! I got his book and improved my chipping by a huge extent (I really do not agree with his putting tips though)

Leon Phelps
30th June 2011, 09:53 AM
Phils DVD.

Just got it on fleabay...

David Williams
30th June 2011, 11:03 AM
I did this a few years ago now... it just explains the differences of chipping and pitching but a little instructional content too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWytvPOlp_A

Talart
30th June 2011, 11:18 AM
Practise Practise Practise, no other way to improve the shots.

gilagolf
30th June 2011, 11:42 AM
Pitching I can't help you, but I'll bump and run any time, as long as the fairway fronting the green is clear. Some courses here have short bermuda grass that even allow us to putt 20m from the green.

Chipping, weight on the left, knees bent like hitting from bunker and minimal wrist movement, down on the ball, not scooping up.

Pitching wise, I'm in the same doghouse as you..likely worse.

David Williams
30th June 2011, 12:08 PM
Practise Practise Practise, no other way to improve the shots.
Practice doesn't improve you if your technique wont allow you to hit the ball properly!!

PRACTICE MAKES PERMANENT!! Get the right advice and then make it permanent through repeating the process with care.

idgolfguy
30th June 2011, 02:54 PM
1+

solarman
30th June 2011, 03:42 PM
Putt it....get a run up and smash it.

idgolfguy
30th June 2011, 05:51 PM
TGM basic motion with about 20 balls chipping and pitching to different distances.

Baudwalker
30th June 2011, 07:31 PM
Practice doesn't improve you if your technique wont allow you to hit the ball properly!!

PRACTICE MAKES PERMANENT!! Get the right advice and then make it permanent through repeating the process with care.

HEAR! HEAR!

Practice makes PERMANENT ... PERFECT PRACTICE can and does help

Stats say 70% of the game is played inside 70 meters from the pin .... what percentage of YOUR PRACTICE is done with devices normally used in this area?

idgolfguy
30th June 2011, 10:19 PM
TGM basic motion with about 20 balls chipping and pitching to different distances.
20 balls so that you have to hit them back. You'll soon learn to group them close.

Progolfgear
2nd July 2011, 02:14 PM
The most common fault I come accross with the range you are talking about (<75m) is that the body just doesn't do enough. Most people try to control the club with the hands which forces the shoulders to stay quite static, from the top, the shoulders naturally want to unwind (as they do with all shots), but they were never wound up, so you end up opening the shoulders up miles to much and either pull it, shank it, or leave the face open and hit it short right.

Try hitting a few pitch shots really focussing on leading the takeaway with the shoulders and see what happens.

David Williams
3rd July 2011, 08:26 AM
Progolfgear...

I teach chipping and then pitching with no body rotation to begin with... You can do either... one is arm thrust the other is pivot thrust... they just produce different ball flights. The key is to help the golfer get on plane and make a descending blow on the ball.

It doesn't matter how it's done though as long as it happens.

TheTrueReview
4th July 2011, 07:42 AM
Progolfgear...

I teach chipping and then pitching with no body rotation to begin with... ..... The key is to help the golfer get on plane and make a descending blow on the ball.

But doesn't promoting shoulder rotation keep the arms & hands quieter thus resulting in a more consistent outcome?

Or to put it another way, isn't it ⇒ less shoulder rotation = more moving parts coming into play (arms, elbows & hands) = potential for less consistent outcome?

razaar
4th July 2011, 08:54 AM
I agree with you Brad. Any action that requires the hands /arms to break the inertia of the club at the start, including putts, will result in a sharp contact which makes it difficult to control the ball. When the arms and wrists are an extension of the shaft in the short game with the power being generated from else where, the contact will be more of a push and more easily controlled.

TheTrueReview
4th July 2011, 01:45 PM
I agree with you ... Any action that requires the hands /arms to break the inertia of the club at the start, including putts, will result in a sharp contact which makes it difficult to control the ball. When the arms and wrists are an extension of the shaft in the short game with the power being generated from else where, the contact will be more of a push and more easily controlled.

Thanks Razaar. I won't take the credit for that. I've been getting lessons from Tony Meyer at Virginia. Amongst the things being tweaked is consistent shoulder rotation to take the arms & hands out of it. :)

David Williams
4th July 2011, 06:31 PM
There are many ways to hit a ball... They will promote different ball flights. Shoulder rotation ie pivot thrust will typically produce a high softer ball flight than arm thrust. Neither are wrong... just different.

A right arm thrust with the right arm bending and straightening while keeping the body still will have the least amount of moving parts than all your body centre points moving around their axis.

David Williams
4th July 2011, 08:24 PM
But doesn't promoting shoulder rotation keep the arms & hands quieter thus resulting in a more consistent outcome?

Or to put it another way, isn't it ⇒ less shoulder rotation = more moving parts coming into play (arms, elbows & hands) = potential for less consistent outcome?
A bending and straightening right elbow is less moving parts than a shoulder and body rotation.