PDA

View Full Version : Gridiron Queensland Charity Bowl 2011

PeteyD
27th June 2011, 03:30 PM
Gridiron QLD Charity Bowl (http://www.charitybowl.com.au)

Guys, for those that are interested, Gridiron Queensland is raising money for charity on the 6th August. Money is being raised for Disaster Relief and Spinal Research (details on the page above).

Games will be at Spencer Park, Newmarket, starting with a juniors game at 12:00.

At 2:00 there is an over 35s game, celebrating 25 years since the first season of Gridiron in QLD in kit (1985 saw a season played with no pads or helmets). To the best of our knowledge this is the first formal over 35s game in Australia.

At 4:30 there is a game with the Bayside Ravens playing the Gold Coast Stingrays.

Entry is by gold coin donation. There are good facilities at the club.

I will be putting on gear for a cameo in the old farts game, along with a number of other crippled types. However there are quite a number of willing and fit players, so the game is going to be better than I first thought it might be. There are a number of players from the inaugural no pads season in 1985 making an appearance. I also have the honour of being the Head Coach of one of the teams.

Henwah is playing for the Ravens this year, and this game will be his first one against a QLD team (I believe the Ravens are playing a trial against a touring US side prior to the charity bowl).

So if you are interested please come on down. The game is the week before the regular season kicks off in SE Qld.

henno
27th June 2011, 04:00 PM
Come and watch me get smashed. It's easily worth the gold coin entry.

3oneday
27th June 2011, 04:04 PM
Aren't you wearing 10kgs of padding ? Or are you talking about beer and spirits ?

henno
27th June 2011, 04:16 PM
Aren't you wearing 10kgs of padding ? Or are you talking about beer and spirits ?

You take a 110kg ball of muscle running flat out and ramming their helmet/pads into your bare ribs and get back to me with your thoughts.

PeteyD
27th June 2011, 04:18 PM
That only happens if you annoy the QB and he throws over your head.

henno
27th June 2011, 04:22 PM
That only happens if you annoy the QB and he throws over your head.

I probably ran a bit too shallow in my slant, and maybe a bit fast. Had to slow down and reach up. Ouchy. At least they're not broken, like Michael's are (that guy that came down to the bruins for a bit).

In other related news, my body is starting to look like that of a battered child: all black and blue. I get some funny looks from the women folk.

PeteyD
27th June 2011, 04:23 PM
Damn. Boxy's gotta teach Mitch to put the ball a bit lower. How long is Michael out for?

3oneday
27th June 2011, 04:24 PM
You take a 110kg ball of muscle running flat out and ramming their helmet/pads into your bare ribs and get back to me with your thoughts.

Really ? All of them are 110kg balls of muscle ? Surely you jest.

PeteyD
27th June 2011, 04:25 PM
Nah some are 120 or more.

Sydney Hacker
27th June 2011, 04:34 PM
I dare say even 150 odd kg's of flab would also hurt...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShST8Nv8kF--lg2_rEXgwMUirq96Ifd8QmKgmrBsn7FG9J09J5

3oneday
27th June 2011, 04:34 PM
Sorry, I have a picture in my mind of a guy called the Fridge or something like that. Big boy, but by no means a ball of muscle.

Thanks SH, that's what i was getting at :lol:

Jarro
27th June 2011, 04:36 PM
Luckily for henno he's quick and nimble, otherwise he'd be toast out there :mrgreen:

Dcanto
27th June 2011, 04:38 PM
In other related news, my body is starting to look like that of a battered child: all black and blue. I get some funny looks from the women folk.

I thought you operated on the theory that chicks dig bruises and scars. :wink:

Courty
27th June 2011, 04:44 PM
Come and watch me get smashed.

Someone please go & get some pics/ vids! :mrgreen:

henno
27th June 2011, 04:54 PM
Sorry, I have a picture in my mind of a guy called the Fridge or something like that. Big boy, but by no means a ball of muscle.

Thanks SH, that's what i was getting at :lol:

There are some fat dudes, of course. In fact, there are a couple of guys in my team that are 6'5"-ish and 150kg+, but they are slow and don't go anywhere near me anyway. It's the 110kg balls of muscle (and yes there are more than a few of them) that do the damage. I can outrun most of them, but all it takes is a lolly of a throw or me not seeing them barrelling towards me for me to get cleaned up.

Jarro
27th June 2011, 04:55 PM
henno, one question .....

.... why ??

henno
27th June 2011, 04:55 PM
Damn. Boxy's gotta teach Mitch to put the ball a bit lower.

It actually wasn't Mitch's. They have two QBs.

How long is Michael out for?

No idea, but he's been wearing a red "don't hit me" shirt at training since the first night I was there.

henno
27th June 2011, 04:57 PM

.... why ??

Why anything? Why do you drink beer even though it can also be bad for your health?

Jarro
27th June 2011, 04:59 PM
Why anything? Why do you drink beer even though it can also be bad for your health?

Yeah good point.

I'm just glad i don't have to get smashed by any 150kg beer cans that jump me from the fridge :roll:

henno
27th June 2011, 05:02 PM
I'm just glad i don't have to get smashed by any 150kg beer cans that jump me from the fridge :roll:

:lol:

PeteyD
27th June 2011, 08:34 PM
I heard that it happened once, if you get feral beer.

markTHEblake
27th June 2011, 10:52 PM
Come and watch me get smashed. It's easily worth the gold coin entry.

You will probably trip over a water bottle before the game starts.

.... why ??

cos its a bloody brilliant game that actually requires the players to think.

henno
8th July 2011, 09:51 PM
It's been nice knowing you guys. I'm getting pummelled by a touring US team tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3djSvk44xA

Courty
8th July 2011, 10:00 PM
A lot of forward passes in that clip. ;)

henno
8th July 2011, 10:11 PM
There's also a lot of hand ball, personal fouls, offside, obstruction, travel, running too far.... and a myriad of other penalties from completely different sports. :razz:

I just hope I don't get a competitive eating type penalty; otherwise known as a "reversal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competitive_eating#Vomiting)". :-P

PeteyD
8th July 2011, 10:13 PM
Been nice knowing you towel boy.

Peter
12th July 2011, 10:12 AM
Did we win?

PeteyD
12th July 2011, 10:17 AM
Henno's team won on the weekend, and he has discovered how much fun the sport is to play.

On a side note, the Australian Outback (National Team) is competing in the World Cup in Austria at the moment. We were rolled by the Yanks and the Mexicans, as expected. We play Germany tonight.

PeteyD
5th August 2011, 09:08 AM
This is on tomorrow. Looking like it is going to be a big day. If you are not doing much come down for a look.

AndyP
5th August 2011, 09:35 AM
I had this event pencilled in to come down to, if I didn't have anything on. I'm booked out for the whole weekend now, so I won't get to see it. Have a good day.

Johnny Canuck
5th August 2011, 09:36 AM

I remember this very well from when I played safety. I had a running back lined up to drill with a big hit. I made the tackle as he bowled me over backwards and I was lucky enough to grab one of his feet and trip him as my back hit the turf. The pads do sfa.

henno
5th August 2011, 09:51 AM
For anyone turning up, I'm number 80 in green and red. I'm a bit injured at the moment, so the normal henno quickness will be somewhat diminished. So this means I'm probably easier to catch and more likely to get smashed, too. Definitely worth the gold coin entry fee.

Turn up at 2pm to watch Poid and the old farts, and stay on to watch me and the seniors at 4:30. Send me a message if you're there and I'll pop over and say hi either before or after my game.

Beeeeeeee theeeeeerrrreeeee!!

kingslayer33
5th August 2011, 02:50 PM
I take it you are a WR with the number 80 and the talk of getting smashed by safeties above - a bit like Jerry Rice then Henno?

henno
5th August 2011, 09:21 PM
I take it you are a WR with the number 80 and the talk of getting smashed by safeties above - a bit like Jerry Rice then Henno?

How'd you know ;)

PeteyD
9th August 2011, 03:11 PM
Not sure if any of you made it down, but it was a great day. The auction raised over $5000, and I don't know how much the merchandise, raffle and donation entry raised. I had a ball, playing every offensive down even with the no contact singlet on. There are a bunch of photos on facebook, or go to Ghosts Game (http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonleonard/6016897840/in/set-72157627368263018/lightbox/) for a bunch of photos, and the special uniforms that were made.

We did have one broken leg, but nothing else, suprising given the age of some of the guys playing.

PeteyD
25th July 2012, 10:54 PM
For anyone interested this is on again this Saturday at Easts Leagues - Langlands PArk at Coorparoo. Oldfarts kick off at 1:00. Bayside Ravens vs gold Coast Stingrays at 4:00. Gold coin entry. $5 buds. Money goes to a couple of charities. I am playing in the first game, Henno plays for the Ravens in the second. More info - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=415025721881960&set=a.415024851882047.129259.193221074062427&type=1&theater

For some more info, the season officially kicks of on August 11.

This year is the first year for the Female Gridiron League. On Friday August 24, at Logan Metro Sports, Browns Plains rd Creastmead, at 7:00 the first ever Female Full kit game in Australia will kick off between the Gold Coast Seas Wolves and the Kenmore Panthers.

CanuckDownUnder
26th July 2012, 06:46 AM
I'm looking to play for the Stingrays if they are still lookin for players here on the coast. But college is the last time I played. Actually it was Sydney Uni training camp.

PeteyD
26th July 2012, 09:01 AM
We need players if you feel like a trip to Browns Plains on Monday and Wednesday nights. The Rays have plenty ;)

jaybam
26th July 2012, 09:48 AM
We need players if you feel like a trip to Browns Plains on Monday and Wednesday nights. The Rays have plenty ;) Is adam campbell or kris harrison still down at browns plains ?

PeteyD
26th July 2012, 02:02 PM
adam campbell is excommunicated from gridiron qld, currently serving a 1 year ban.

dc68
26th July 2012, 02:30 PM
This year is the first year for the Female Gridiron League. On Friday August 24, at Logan Metro Sports, Browns Plains rd Creastmead, at 7:00 the first ever Female Full kit game in Australia will kick off between the Gold Coast Seas Wolves and the Kenmore Panthers. Have you checked if liesl jones is interested?

PeteyD
26th July 2012, 02:54 PM
mate you might be surprised at just who is interested and how they look. Womens rugby it is not.

jaybam
26th July 2012, 03:47 PM
adam campbell is excommunicated from gridiron qld, currently serving a 1 year ban. Really? Been a naughty boy has he lol

CanuckDownUnder
26th July 2012, 05:47 PM
We need players if you feel like a trip to Browns Plains on Monday and Wednesday nights. The Rays have plenty ;)Where is browns plains?

timah!
26th July 2012, 05:57 PM
Where is browns plains?

About 15mins from the FF where I picked up the titleist bag from you :)

PeteyD
26th July 2012, 06:45 PM
10 mins along the logan motorway from the interchange with the GC highway.

CanuckDownUnder
26th July 2012, 07:13 PM
That's bloody in another state!

Haha. No idea where you are mate!

dc68
26th July 2012, 07:13 PM
mate you might be surprised at just who is interested and how they look. Womens rugby it is not. It's not LFL though right? No beefy Samoan mamas in the line?

PeteyD
26th July 2012, 07:17 PM
Not LFL. Full kit etc.

https://www.facebook.com/FGLQLD

PeteyD
16th August 2012, 05:19 PM
OK lads, a bit of SPAM time. Next friday (24th August) the FGLQ holds the first ever Full Contact Womens Gridiron game in the country. (not Lingerie rubbish but real foozball). There will be plenty of food etc. The Panthers take on the Sea Wolves. Starts at 7:00 pm. Logan Metro Sports, Browns Plains Rd Creastmead.

some links:

FGLQ site
(https://www.facebook.com/FGLQLD)Season Opener (https://www.facebook.com/events/165939330207030/)
Gold Coast Sea Wolves (https://www.facebook.com/GoldCoastSeaWolves?ref=stream)
Kenmore Panthers (https://www.facebook.com/panthersgridiron?ref=ts)
Logan City Jets (https://www.facebook.com/JetsFGC)

henno
17th August 2012, 09:33 PM
I'm looking to play for the Stingrays if they are still lookin for players here on the coast. But college is the last time I played. Actually it was Sydney Uni training camp.

I look forward to smacking helmets with you. I already have a nice streak of baby blue on one side of my helmet, not to mention a little bit of Damo blood on my jersey from game 1. :D

PeteyD
17th August 2012, 09:46 PM
fluffy blood? There gonna be a lot of that spilt tomorrow.

henno
17th August 2012, 09:56 PM
fluffy blood? There gonna be a lot of that spilt tomorrow.

He pretty much is the entire 'rays team at the moment. QB/KR/PR/CB the whole shebangabang.

Tell your DE not to bite too hard on him at QB. I was talking with him after the game and we fell for it a few times and it was (apparently) totally planned by him: wait for the rush and then rollout and around for yards (or a TD in our case). What I initially thought was Steggers-like opportunistic running of the ball was actually pre-meditated because our DEs (and fellow state reps) were so keen to lay him out.

He's a crafty little sumbitch at times. Gave me a decent haematoma on my bicep and damage to the nerve in my arm that game, too.

PeteyD
17th August 2012, 09:58 PM
Damo I know. I also know they are one man team. Unlike the bears. We won't stop him but need to restrict his damage. If my guys hold onto the pill we might give them a good fright. Can't see their defense stopping us.

henno
17th August 2012, 10:01 PM
Their defence was kinda junk; although some of that might be first game jitters. Your lads should be able to steam roll their D, or at least wear them out. Controlling their O might be another thing, but it'd be good to see you give them a scare. You can bet your ass they'll be giving you absolutely no respect out there so there's probably a few egos to dint in the process.

PeteyD
17th August 2012, 10:07 PM
Oh yea. there defense was junk last week too. Cougars just got red zone jitters.