PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wanna buy a golf course???

goughy
5th July 2005, 04:45 PM
Probably a stupid question to ask a group of golf fanatics.

Karana Downs is on the market. It's privately owned and zoned special interest so it can't be subdivided.

Apparantly asking about 3.5mil for it. Also comes with a porsche. The owner is also selling the tennis courts and the 35 golf buggies.

Anyone wanna go halves :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Maybe then I could get back those 9 golf balls I lost on the front nine the one time I've played it. :oops:

McMw
5th July 2005, 04:52 PM
out of sheer curiousity, isit well patronised???

Jarro
5th July 2005, 05:05 PM
looked like a right dump on the news :x

i like the layout though, some really nice little par 4's that can eat you alive if you spray the driver.

Goughy, you know Nudgee is the only guy with that much moola that he could think about buying the course :wink:

Fishman Dan
5th July 2005, 05:07 PM
I'd need to see the serial number before I seriously considered it. :wink:

Surely that's been scratched off... I heard there are all sorts of crooks up in SE QLD :?

Surely we can all get together.... "OzGolf Downs" has a ring to it :idea:

Anyone got the lat/long co-ordinates? I'll check it out on Google Earth :wink:

goughy
5th July 2005, 05:35 PM
out of sheer curiousity, isit well patronised???

About 600 members. They 'say' it's returning 10% a year.

markTHEblake
5th July 2005, 09:54 PM
$3.5m seems a bit rich for a plot of dirt that doesnt have potential for any development.   Tell him he's dreaming.

then again about 4 or so years ago Colonial, Robina woods, Glades were all sold for between $4-7M each,  which is way below replacement cost.

Has that resort joint down near newcastle being sold yet - if so how much?

peter_rs
6th July 2005, 07:14 AM
Ok here is the good part. I know he has done alot of work on the course and tripled membership but.

Is the now failed redbank included.

The owner purcahsed both course at the same time in a auction for $1.2M two years ago because the last owner went belly up.

Good luck to him if he can get the money for it.

I agree that the course has some very nice holes that can eat you.

AndyP
6th July 2005, 07:40 AM
Is the now failed redbank included.
The Redbank Plains course doesn't exist anymore.
It's being turned into a housing estate.

goughy
6th July 2005, 06:59 PM
So he's made his money fromt he redbank course, and hasn't had any luck getting karana downs rezoned.

Keza_G
7th July 2005, 06:04 AM
Doesn't the son own Mt Gravatt Showground Driving range ???

I don't think that it is worth 3 mil.... with only 10% turnover it's a belly up production waiting for someone to go broke buying it. Having said that I shall mention it to a rather wealthy mate and see what he says.... mind you, he got wealthy staying away from these sort of things... :wink:

Cheers

Keza

Keza_G
7th July 2005, 06:27 AM
OK, Have spoken with a friend and he now wants info....

can anyone give me any details or where I might find details re the sale of this course ..... :D :D

This is a possibly serious buyer in the US looking for investment opportunities...... !!!!

Cheers

Keza

goughy
7th July 2005, 06:49 AM
I only saw it on the news. I spose if you rang the club someone could help you. Would this mean an ozgolf discount??? :wink:

markTHEblake
7th July 2005, 09:02 PM
definietely a spotters fee for you goughy if you arrange the contact, but looks like Keza has cut your lunch there...

too slow mate

AndyP
3rd October 2005, 08:27 AM
I played at Karana Downs yesterday.

A guy from Sydney ended up buying the course. Looks like he might be making a couple of changes.
The 195m par 3 1st now has a dam on the right, at the bottom of the hill before the green (I found it on the par 4 17th, and the 1st). Didn't really take too much notice of anything else, although there seemed to be a few GUR markings around.

Google Earth:
27°32'32.03" S
152°49'48.49" E

BrisVegas
3rd October 2005, 08:49 AM
There was a golf course for sale at the Bribie Island/Beachmere exit off the Bruce Highway a few years ago. Anyone know if that was ever sold? how much etc? Much better location, IMO.

Jarro
3rd October 2005, 08:54 AM
that wasn't the Big Fish complex was it Vegas :?:

it had a cart track on the grounds as well.

BrisVegas
3rd October 2005, 08:58 AM
that wasn't the Big Fish complex was it Vegas  :?:

it had a cart track on the grounds as well.

No mate. Although there was a little course at the big fish, which i played once or twice. Very bad though!

the one I'm thinking of was on the Beachmere Road, maybe a km or so off the main road, on the right side. It was fairly swampy looking, but would have been a sandy base. The potential of the location is the thing that struck me. Not too many courses that close to a motorway you can get to.... (I don't count North Lakes as it's a nightmare to get through the housing). I'd love to own a golf course.... One day perhaps.... :)

AndyP
4th April 2013, 01:00 PM
I posted this back in 2010, after playing the course.

A developer has bought the land, but have had a couple of applications knocked back. It's only a matter of time before operations are shutdown.
The course did shutdown, but the developers could never get their applications through despite a few trips to court. It went back on the market at the end of last year and was purchased by the owner of Sandy Gallop, who is getting the golf course going again. They have a combined membership deal with Sandy Gallop at the moment, that I saw on the ISG course reviews page.

http://www.qt.com.au/news/golfers-will-return-to-karana-downs-greens/1778434/

Maybe OZgolf can buy it next time around.

BrettM
4th April 2013, 05:51 PM
Opens May 1, greens are being overseeded next week so the surfaces should be OK

Lucasto23
4th April 2013, 08:02 PM
Good old Brett, he'll sort it out just like last time

AndyP
4th April 2013, 10:36 PM
What was the story last time?

Hawkers2008
6th April 2013, 09:15 PM
A few for sale down here

Pay for play courses Kingston Links, Eagle Ridge and Eynesburyare all on the block atm.

@nd tier private club Kingswood looks likely to be sold as a housing site with members going to Pensinula. Talks apparently also underway to sell Rossdale with members joining Keysborough.

golfnutz
16th April 2013, 02:58 PM
i wish