PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Staff Irons

matt22
13th June 2011, 05:40 PM
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone here uses Wilson Staff Irons, Di11 or the Ci9?

I'm looking for a new set of clubs and considering one of these two sets. From what I've read they appear to rate highly. If you have used them could you let me know what u thought of them?

Cheers

Matt

Reslo
13th June 2011, 05:59 PM
I'll be very interested in the replies here as I too am looking for a new set of clubs.

I was thinking of getting a complete new set with bag, like the Wilson X31's or Trident or an Adams set from Drummond. However after looking through the net for the past few weeks and visiting the various golf shops I'm now thinking of spending a few hundred dollars more and getting a decent set of irons, then adding driver, 3wood, 4/5hybrid and bag to suit.

My choices are the Wilson Di9's or some Taylor Made Burners which are on sale around the place with discounts if trading in old clubs.

I'll most likely make a call in the next two weeks hoping the end of financial year brings good sale prices or a better haggling position for me.

From what I can tell the Ci irons are more for control where the Di's are for distance and hence are a little more forgiving, so the Di's are for me.

Depending on what deal I can get in the stores I may look more seriously at buying from the US given the great exchange rate currently, so rockbottomgolf.com gets a viewing each day.

popper81
13th June 2011, 08:19 PM
Hey Guys,
I bought some shoes from a place in the states called clubs and sticks last month.... Good to deal with.. I am on their mailing list now and received a email from them last week.. They are selling the Ci9 for half price.. The coupon code is "Ci9Sale'.. The price is $249 after the half price code.. If you want me to forward the email on to you I can forward it on Just Pm me your email address.. the code runs out om 17/6.. No idea if this interest you or not but just tossing it out there

Andy

BroKar
13th June 2011, 08:21 PM
dont buy anything from drummond ever

www.3balls.com
www.rockbottomgolf.com
www.globalgolf.com
www.golfsmith.com

timinsa
13th June 2011, 08:31 PM
Hey Guys,
I bought some shoes from a place in the states called clubs and sticks last month.... Good to deal with.. I am on their mailing list now and received a email from them last week.. They are selling the Ci9 for half price.. The coupon code is "Ci9Sale'.. The price is $249 after the half price code.. If you want me to forward the email on to you I can forward it on Just Pm me your email address.. the code runs out om 17/6.. No idea if this interest you or not but just tossing it out there

Andy

Bargain! I love forums for this reason.

matt22
13th June 2011, 09:01 PM
dont buy anything from drummond ever

www.3balls.com
www.rockbottomgolf.com
www.globalgolf.com
www.golfsmith.com

To threadjack my own thread, wheres some good places online to buy from mate?

dean0820
13th June 2011, 10:24 PM
i won a set of fitted wilson staff irons from drummond a while back.
after hitting the fgs, cis, etc. i went with the di-11s.
drummond were good to me and for that reason i'll continue to shop with them.
i'm happy with mine but still adjusting to different lofts.
lofts;
from 4I= 22*, 25,29,32,36,39,PW=43, GW=46, SW=55
cons; different shafts to what you may be used to means you need to try before you buy.
pros; really nice ball flight, very forgiving, decent looking, still quite workable.
please let me know if i can be of any more help.
a great thread on the di11s here;
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?17444-Wilson-Staff-Di11-Irons-Review-Thread

matt22
14th June 2011, 12:32 AM
lofts;
cons; different shafts to what you may be used to means you need to try before you buy.
pros; really nice ball flight, very forgiving, decent looking, still quite workable.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?17444-Wilson-Staff-Di11-Irons-Review-Thread

Thanks for all the replys so far!

Dean, have these clubs helped your game and do you think they would be suitable for a newbie to the golf scene? From what I've read so far they seem to have glowing reveiws! I'm off to the local this week to try these out and see how they feel.

Have been reading the thread that you posted, have only made it upto page 12 so far, but full of info in relation to the Di11's.

Thanks again

timah!
14th June 2011, 08:22 AM
To threadjack my own thread, wheres some good places online to buy from mate?

OzGolf!
Could also do a lot worse than buying a set if Maltby components from golfworks.com

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

timinsa
14th June 2011, 08:46 AM
lofts;

There should be a law on this ever diminishing loft issue. A 43* PW. Seriously!?! It's PT Barnum stuff. I have some irons with 52* PW.
Next thing we will be seeing a gap-gap wedge to fill the loft space between the gappie & the SW.

timah!
14th June 2011, 08:54 AM
43* = 9wedge!

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

TheTrueReview
14th June 2011, 09:08 AM
There should be a law on this ever diminishing loft issue. A 43* PW. Seriously!?! It's PT Barnum stuff. I have some irons with 52* PW.
Next thing we will be seeing a gap-gap wedge to fill the loft space between the gappie & the SW.

The very reason why I got rid of my WilsonStaff Ci7 irons a few years ago. The strong lofts, particularly the loft of the pitching wedge, were ridiculous. I note that with the players irons (FG irons) Wilson Staff doesn't pull the loft 'smoke & mirrors' trick.

dean0820
14th June 2011, 09:30 AM
the loft thing doesn't worry me actually. i still have all the same lofts at my disposal, they just have a different name stamped on the bottom.
being a flexible kind of person is probably an advantage with this.
if you firmly believe PW must equal 105 metres for example, then you might struggle.
i admit it was weird at first to realize i was carrying 4 wedges though!

matt22, i do think these would be good to get started with.
they're forgiving but there is plenty of feedback as to how well you've hit the ball also.
one thing i've noticed is that they reward a solid, easy swing, which is a great habit to get into.
this seemed true with all the shafts i tried.
i went with the uniflex shaft after trying them all on the tracking machines.
the thread i posted mentions the grips but i'm happy with the grips that were on mine.

MegaWatty
14th June 2011, 09:47 AM
OzGolf!
Could also do a lot worse than buying a set if Maltby components from golfworks.com

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

Which ones do you have? MCC's?

timah!
14th June 2011, 11:07 AM
Which ones do you have? MCC's?

Maltby chopper wedge.
Plus, if they're good enough for MTB...

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

matt22
14th June 2011, 11:48 AM
the loft thing doesn't worry me actually. i still have all the same lofts at my disposal, they just have a different name stamped on the bottom.
being a flexible kind of person is probably an advantage with this.
if you firmly believe PW must equal 105 metres for example, then you might struggle.
i admit it was weird at first to realize i was carrying 4 wedges though!

matt22, i do think these would be good to get started with.
they're forgiving but there is plenty of feedback as to how well you've hit the ball also.
one thing i've noticed is that they reward a solid, easy swing, which is a great habit to get into.
this seemed true with all the shafts i tried.
i went with the uniflex shaft after trying them all on the tracking machines.
the thread i posted mentions the grips but i'm happy with the grips that were on mine.

Can't wait to give these a try now, I wasn't sure what would be better for me, the Ci9 or Di11, but sounds as if the Di11 is the go for me. You mentioned the feedback on how well you hit the ball, i think this would benifit me heaps, esspecially when new to the game.

whats your avg swing speed Dean?

Pieface
14th June 2011, 12:07 PM
Dean can't tell you because we didn't let him use the equipment.

I've been eying up the blemished KE4 tour heads at golfworks for a while.

dean0820
14th June 2011, 02:11 PM
Can't wait to give these a try now, I wasn't sure what would be better for me, the Ci9 or Di11, but sounds as if the Di11 is the go for me. You mentioned the feedback on how well you hit the ball, i think this would benifit me heaps, esspecially when new to the game.

whats your avg swing speed Dean?

just to clarify, i'm not saying the feedback is BETTER than other clubs, just that it is still there.
my swing speed is 50 metres per second for driver.
for irons, i seem to remember at drummond being told mid 80s, but i don't know what the unit of measurement was :)

Bjay
14th June 2011, 04:42 PM
Thought I would throw my 2c worth in here, been a reader of these forums for a while just nothing significant to contribute.

I currently game Ci9 Irons.

I bought them back in Feb this year and have loved every minute of using them, when looking i was in need of some clubs to get me out of the high 20's handicap down to below 15, now I’m not there yet but I’m currently on 17 and i attribute dropping 14 strokes on my handicap to these irons and a hell of a lot of practice work. If you don't believe me golflink 5110301464

I needed something i could get a lot more control over, i was gaming a set of PGF Inceptors horrible set clubs, the Ci9’s have given me the ability to shape the ball and play the shots I want, their soft enough to give some great feedback but don’t kill you when you screw it up and I do that a fair amount, their top line at address isn’t that thick, they do have odd lofts with a 44* PW, which is kind of crap which means I have to play a 6* gap between wedges.

I have a mate at the club here in SA that just bought Di11’s, he’s an older golfer but they seem to really sing for him. It really depends what you’re after though, control and something that’s going to take you lower one day, or distance and ability to get in the air and forgiveness early on.

If I were you id ask for a demo set stick it in the bag and have a crack or a few demo clubs from each set go out and have a round see what you like. Only really way to know but both Di and Ci are great clubs in my opinion.

Xamilo
14th June 2011, 07:03 PM
I play Ci7s.

I have to say they have been one of the nicest surprises ever in my short golf "career". They are wonderful irons; performance wise there is nothing I would complain about them. Price vs performance is a joke ($300 for them new? You can't get a Titleist or TM Pitching Wedge for that!). The Ci9s are just great irons as well. They have a softer feel than the Ci7s. Don't expect Mizuno-Like feel, but surely are very well in between the top of the line with any other high-end brand name iron. Distance wise they are superb, but take into account there is something like a 2º difference in loft with "traditional" irons, which means the set will end up somewhere around the 45-46º instead of 48º, so take that into account if you have a 52-56º set up. The FST- Step-less shaft in the Ci9s is a wonderful addition. I really don't know why FST hasn't got a bigger name. They make side-by-side an equal if not superior shaft than any DG.

All in all, you can't go wrong with Wilson Staff Irons. They surely are a good comparison to old Wilson Staff which won more Mayors than any other company...

Oldplayer
14th June 2011, 07:49 PM
I play Ci7s.

I have to say they have been one of the nicest surprises ever in my short golf "career". They are wonderful irons; performance wise there is nothing I would complain about them. Price vs performance is a joke ($300 for them new? You can't get a Titleist or TM Pitching Wedge for that!). The Ci9s are just great irons as well. They have a softer feel than the Ci7s. Don't expect Mizuno-Like feel, but surely are very well in between the top of the line with any other high-end brand name iron. Distance wise they are superb, but take into account there is something like a 2º difference in loft with "traditional" irons, which means the set will end up somewhere around the 45-46º instead of 48º, so take that into account if you have a 52-56º set up. The FST- Step-less shaft in the Ci9s is a wonderful addition. I really don't know why FST hasn't got a bigger name. They make side-by-side an equal if not superior shaft than any DG.

All in all, you can't go wrong with Wilson Staff Irons. They surely are a good comparison to old Wilson Staff which won more Mayors than any other company...

No disrespect but it's a bit of a stretch comparing a Chinese casting to the many classic USA forged Staff irons that were used to win all those majors. The two types of heads could not be anymore different. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Wilson. I have played Fi5's as well as Ci7's and also own FG 17's, FG 51's, FG59's as well as some mid 70's fluid feel. The Ci9's would have more in common with Callaway SGI irons than the classic forged blades I have the good fortune to own.

Ned
14th June 2011, 07:52 PM

Council Mayors, Horse Mayors ?????????????

matt22
28th July 2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all the info on these irons. Went to the local pro shop and got fitted for these irons last night, now to play the waiting game until they arrive!

dean0820
29th July 2011, 01:18 PM
good to hear matt22, enjoy!

Reslo
4th August 2011, 11:50 PM
Bit the bullet yesterday and bought my first decent set of clubs - the Di9's. Now to go hit the suckers.

MegaWatty
4th August 2011, 11:51 PM
Congrats! :)

matt22
5th August 2011, 01:05 AM
My new irons have arrived @ the shop but my damn tax cheque hasn't cleared yet, so there still sitting there... Its driving me damn crazy...