PDA

View Full Version : Most popular betting format?

gilagolf
13th June 2011, 03:38 AM
Just wondering what are the popular betting formats for a casual round of golf?

Over here in Malaysia, one of the most popular betting format is called, "3-1-1", which basically means 3 'balls' for game, 1 for dormie and 1 for the buy. Each "ball" is allocated a dollar amount. A normal amount would be $5. 3-1-1 is played over 9 holes. So when we have a four ball, we play a partnership, and play matchplay format, and we count at the end of the each nine the winner. So the total one can lose would be 10 balls (5 from each nine, i.e losing the game, dormie and buy, otherwise known as Fullhouse)

Most of the time, though, we use the same format and play 'Sixers', where we change partnership every 6 holes and play the 3-1-1 game in each partnership matchplay. In this case, the most I can lose would be 15 balls (5 balls from each matchplay game, over six holes). This is a lot more fun because games are shorter, and we get to swap partners and ride on the hot ones. There was once I shot 85 or something while the second best score was 94 or 95, and I lost the most $$$.

of course, we play fringes here as well, i.e bonuses where we get extra 1 ball for: escalation par, parring or better the par 3s and par 5s, birdies, sandy par, or whatever ad hoc rules we feel like putting, like closest to pin, longest drive etc.

Probably the other parts of the world you have another name for this kind of game.

Ferrins
13th June 2011, 07:53 AM
5,5 & 10. $5 on the front, $5 on the back & $10 on the match. If I won a friendly in Malaysia, I would like sensation as well.

Courty
13th June 2011, 08:10 AM
Most of the groups at my club play a variation of what I think is called a 'Nassau'. It's basically a 4BBB matchplay, with a 'unit' awarded for a win. Other units are available as agreed before the round commences (NTPs, ferrets, sand saves, birdies etc.). Prizes (whatever is agreed, but most often 6, 6, 8 or 5, 5, 10) are allocated for the leader of front nine, back nine and overall. Most groups use the winnings to buy a round of drinks and then use the balance to buy squares on the 100 board.

PeteyD
13th June 2011, 08:11 AM
There is no gambling at Bushwood.

markTHEblake
13th June 2011, 09:43 AM
of all the clubs i have been a member of the most popular form of punting is fourball matchplay for a lotto ticket.

There are numerous variations to the above some already mentioned.

The snake is fairly common also,, the last one to three putt on each 9 has to buy a round. I hate winning that one.

gilagolf
13th June 2011, 08:49 PM
I never really grasped the concept of Nassau and 'Pressing' the bet....and it seems only in this region we play the Sixers + Game-Dormie-Buy format. The reason it's popular is that every hole counts. Even if you've lost the game, you could still win the Dormie and Buy to soften your loss. And you can play really LOUSY and still walk away a winner if you partnered the right person.

Another game we usually play is where everyone is playing each other in what we term as "All Play", or "massacre" or "Rambo" or "Gangbang"...the terms gets progressively worse as our golf humor degenerates further. Format could be skins, strokeplay, gross/net score, or even the Game-Dormie-Buy which is Insane, because like the other day, I ended up playing 3 main 'games', 3 dormie and 3 buy games per nine, totalling up a maximum of 18 concurrent games to keep track of!!

SeptemberSquall
13th June 2011, 10:42 PM
$10 Nassau with a press at 2 down. Can come up worth a bit over a pineapple if you have an "on" day. Always something to play for with a late press to stem the bleeding if all else is lost.

All this other bingo bango play-the-banjo complex stuff does my head in. K.I.S.S.

SeptemberSquall
13th June 2011, 10:53 PM
I never really grasped the concept of Nassau and 'Pressing' the bet....

it's easy, a press is basically a new bet, either for the remainder of that nine, or the remainder of the match overall - your call. It runs concurrently with the existing bet.

So if you're 2 down after 6 holes, you can press the bet (start a new bet, to run concurrently with the original bet) which starts from the 7th hole.

If you finish 1 down overall, you have lost the original bet but won the press by being 1 up over the remaining 11 holes, which may square off the bet, depending on how much you pressed for. Some games you might press for half the original bet, other games double.

Make sense?

MegaWatty
13th June 2011, 10:56 PM
Holy crap! Confusing but sounds fun. I think. :)

SeptemberSquall
13th June 2011, 11:08 PM
I don't understand how this is confusing; I must not be explaining it well, but it makes sense to me???

Maybe ask questions about the bits which are confusing?

MegaWatty
13th June 2011, 11:26 PM
I get it. I can see how it's confusing though.

Johnny Canuck
13th June 2011, 11:31 PM
Holy crap! Confusing but sounds fun. I think. :)

I never knew what pressing meant until that explanation.

I love skins.