7th June 2011, 03:38 PM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/518045.html

Hmm

sms316
7th June 2011, 03:43 PM
Nick Maddinson is a bit stiff.

Jarro
7th June 2011, 03:46 PM
I'm happy for Katich to go, he's had his day ... Khawaja is a great prospect to fill his boots.

Mike Hussey can consider himself pretty lucky too

Nuffie
7th June 2011, 04:09 PM
I had a feeling it was gonna be curtains for Katich, once he got injured in the Ashes.

He has had a good career, but will be good to get a younger and quicker run scorer slotted in to open.

Pieface
7th June 2011, 05:27 PM
Not sure I agree with the sentiment Nuff although I'm not surprised either.

With our bowling stocks we need blokes at the top of the order who can hang around and build an innings. flash in the pan for 30-40 runs isn't good enough when we are struggling to take 20 wickets.

When is the next serious test series?

Yossarian
7th June 2011, 07:10 PM
I do not know the extent of Katichs injury. I would have sort of liked him to stay.

The one that really annoys me is Hilditch annoucing it.

Jarro
7th June 2011, 07:47 PM
No need to fear, D.Hussey is still there

Yossarian
7th June 2011, 07:48 PM
Yes he is the future.

Jarro
7th June 2011, 07:49 PM
He's the rock !!

Yossarian
7th June 2011, 07:51 PM
I see. How the **** does Brett Lee and the X man get a gig?

Jarro
7th June 2011, 07:52 PM
'cos Hilditch says so, and he's the Boss

sms316
7th June 2011, 08:29 PM
I see. How the **** does Brett Lee and the X man get a gig?

Because B Lee is the best bowler we have.

X man has me ****ed though. Maybe they need to have a born and bred dual head in there since Ricky has moved to the mainland.

Yossarian
7th June 2011, 08:35 PM
He really isn't. I have to go out now. I will revisit this.

sms316
7th June 2011, 08:38 PM
He really isn't. I have to go out now. I will revisit this.

In the meantime you work out who is a better bowler. Please do not come back saying "Mitch".

Yossarian
7th June 2011, 08:41 PM
Has lee taken a 10 fa?

sms316
7th June 2011, 08:44 PM
Has lee taken a 10 fa?

We could play this game for hours.

When was the last time Lee missed the pitch?

My point is that with Lee you know what you get, and it is usually pretty good. Mitch is a match winner 10% of the time and for the remainder bowls rice.

Yossarian
7th June 2011, 08:46 PM
When was the last time Lee failed to dislodge a lower order. As a strike bowler. And we could play it for hours.

Lee is also the wrong side of 30 by a fair way.

A list when I get back from indoor!

sms316
7th June 2011, 08:55 PM
When was the last time Lee failed to dislodge a lower order. As a strike bowler. And we could play it for hours.

Lee is also the wrong side of 30 by a fair way.

A list when I get back from indoor!

Lee doesn't play tests, so I suspect quite a while back.

So is Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey. The CA list, for the better part isn't like blooding new talent. It is about putting those who are likely to play international cricket on a retainer.

I'll be in bed by the time you return.

Moe Norman
7th June 2011, 08:58 PM
Lee is worse than Siddle, Johnson, Bollinger, Copeland, McKay, Harris the list goes on.

Or are you talking about pretend cricket?

sms316
7th June 2011, 09:04 PM
Lee is worse than Siddle, Johnson, Bollinger, Copeland, McKay, Harris the list goes on.

Or are you talking about pretend cricket?

Given that Lee doesn't play Tests, well, you figure it out.

That list above is very amusing though. Why don't you throw in Andrew McDonald as well?

Moe Norman
7th June 2011, 10:05 PM
Lee doesn't play tests, because he's not good enough.

He was just smart enough to 'retire' when he knew he'd never get picked ever again

Yossarian
8th June 2011, 12:20 AM
I'd rather McDonald with a ball in his hand.

3oneday
8th June 2011, 07:14 AM
I assume Katich got dropped because he's limited to one form of the game only. I can't see any other reason when you see the two Hussey boys still there.

LarryLong
8th June 2011, 01:55 PM
Andrew Hilditch is a buffoon.

Bruce
8th June 2011, 02:14 PM
I assume Katich got dropped because he's limited to one form of the game only. I can't see any other reason when you see the two Hussey boys still there.

Brett Lee has the same limitation and is still on the list.

Yossarian
8th June 2011, 04:03 PM
SMS the bowlers Moe named. And what Bruce said. And Lee is old.

sms316
8th June 2011, 04:31 PM
SMS the bowlers Moe named. And what Bruce said. And Lee is old.
Clint McKay is the biggest spud chucker to have worn the baggy green since Scott Muller.

Yossarian
8th June 2011, 04:34 PM
I'd have him in the one day side ahead of Lee.

Lee is a good bowler but his time is done. Well it isn't but it should be.

Jarro
8th June 2011, 04:37 PM
Clint McKay is the biggest spud chucker to have worn the baggy green since Scott Muller.

Agreed

I'd have him in the one day side ahead of Lee.

That's just silly talk

Sydney Hacker
8th June 2011, 04:41 PM
Hasn't Lee retired from One day cricket as well as is now only available for the 20/20 rubbish?

If that is the case why would you give him a contract for 10 maybe 15 days of cricket ?

Yossarian
8th June 2011, 04:41 PM
I am aware I am being a little silly. At least Mckay may have some upside.

I don't see how you can be ok with katich being dumped when he is a great test bat anywhere, a great fielder and really good brain. He could play one dayers if we wanted him to.

But keeping Lee who play one dayers and isn't earth shattering in any way shape or form is a good move?

EDIT

He has retired from one dayers??

Jarro
8th June 2011, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure he's only retired from the test matches

Sydney Hacker
8th June 2011, 04:44 PM
I may be mixing him up with that other custard chucker from SA.

If he is available for 2 forms of the game then fair enough giving him a contract, he has been a pretty good one day bowler for most of his career.

Yossarian
8th June 2011, 04:45 PM
Tait is only 20/20. Tait should be thrown in the ocean with an anchor attached.

Jarro
8th June 2011, 04:47 PM
Tait is ordinary ... but i reckon Lee can still offer something in the one-day scenario.

Yossarian
8th June 2011, 04:48 PM
As could Cummins or that Starc kid. Combined with siddle, bollinger johnson, harris, copeland.

Sydney Hacker
8th June 2011, 04:50 PM
I would rather Cummins, Starc & Copeland played first class cricket to get ready for test cricket, not the short form rubbish.

Same goes for Siddle, with his injury record he should never put on the coloured clothing.

Jarro
8th June 2011, 04:51 PM
I would rather Cummins, Starc & Copeland played first class cricket to get ready for test cricket, not the short form rubbish.

Same goes for Siddle, with his injury record he should never put on the coloured clothing.

... maybe that's why Lee was offered a contract ?

He can be our one-day mule

Yossarian
8th June 2011, 04:58 PM

A fairish point. A mix of both is ideal IMO tests them a bit against the top class.

Yossarian
10th June 2011, 10:24 PM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/518574.html

Well said kato.

Yossarian
1st August 2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-01/whateley-its-time-to-take-the-australian-cricket-team-back/2818246

Werd.

TheNuclearOne
1st August 2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-01/whateley-its-time-to-take-the-australian-cricket-team-back/2818246

Werd.

Superb article.

LarryLong
1st August 2011, 11:01 PM

Werd.

My mate posted that on his facebook page. I agreed wholeheartedly.

Is there a single serious cricket fan in the country who thinks that Hilditch should keep his job?

AndyP
1st August 2011, 11:43 PM
Give him time. It will all make sense soon.

Yossarian
1st August 2011, 11:44 PM
Ian Bell out but not out, spirit of cricket invoked. Funny stuff.

TheNuclearOne
2nd August 2011, 12:09 AM
Ian Bell out but not out, spirit of cricket invoked. Funny stuff.

Imagine the bitterness for the rest of the series if common sense hadn't prevailed.

Yossarian
2nd August 2011, 12:14 AM
If Bell had half a brain it wouldn't have been an issue!

TheNuclearOne
2nd August 2011, 12:24 AM
True enough, but in the circumstances i can see how it evolved. I remember the W.I. running out Dean Jones when the massive noise of the locals crowd drowned out the umpires call of no ball, which he got out on. As he tucked the bat under arm and walked off they run him out. An umpire told me years later they changed the rule after that decision. I assume he was correct.

Sydney Hacker
2nd August 2011, 08:25 AM
The Dean Jones one was a very different scenario. The no-ball rule states you can only be out run out when attempting a run. Jones wasn't and even Border (who was batting with him from memory) and the umpire at the time admitted they did not know the rule.

Bell's was just a brain fart and personally I don't think Dhoni should of changed his mind. I don't see how it is common sense for Dhoni to submit to a request from the England coach & captain, when it was Bell's fault that the problem arose.

Pieface
2nd August 2011, 10:06 AM
I like the article with the "fresh" perspective England has after they did over Grant Elliot in a similar "spirit of the game" decision in 2008.

Maybe all the subcontinentals can start banging on about arrogant England and give our blokes a rest :lol:

A good decision from the Indians IMO. England were on top at that point but India were still in the match if they had had bowled well from there and not collapsed in their innings.

TheNuclearOne
2nd August 2011, 12:04 PM
The Dean Jones one was a very different scenario. The no-ball rule states you can only be out run out when attempting a run. Jones wasn't and even Border (who was batting with him from memory) and the umpire at the time admitted they did not know the rule.

Bell's was just a brain fart and personally I don't think Dhoni should of changed his mind. I don't see how it is common sense for Dhoni to submit to a request from the England coach & captain, when it was Bell's fault that the problem arose.

Slightly different scenario for sure. Thankfully sometimes the spirit and integrity of the game is upheld. 100% of the Indian team agree it was common sense because that was the result of their vote whether to bring him back, with them saying "We knew it was not in the spirit of the game."

The no-ball rule states you can only be out run out when attempting a run. Incorrect, so it seems.

Law 38 (Run out)
1. Out Run out
(a) Either batsman is out Run out, except as in 2 below, if at any time while the ball is in play
(i) he is out of his ground
and (ii) his wicket is fairly put down by the opposing side.
(b) (a) above shall apply even though No ball has been called and whether or not a run is being attempted, except in the circumstances of Law 39.3(b) (Not out Stumped).

Law 39 (Stumped)
(b) The striker shall not be out Run out if he is out of his ground, not attempting a run, and his wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another member of the fielding side, if No ball has been called.

I have to admit i was in your camp, but closer scrutiny seems to show the Jones dismissal was legal. It was not the wicket keeper that took the stump out. A very interesting one.

jimandr
2nd August 2011, 10:49 PM
I didn't see the Ian Bell thing, but I've watched parts of the game. Whenever I was watching, England seemed to be well on top.

It hurts a bit to say this, but the Poms are probably the best team in the world right now, and certainly have the best all-round bowling attack.

Yossarian
2nd August 2011, 10:58 PM
And are carrying Eion Morgan through a pretty rough trot!

TheNuclearOne
2nd August 2011, 11:24 PM
When do the poms play the Saffa's? That would be for the crown for sure.

Sydney Hacker
3rd August 2011, 08:29 AM
Slightly different scenario for sure. Thankfully sometimes the spirit and integrity of the game is upheld. 100% of the Indian team agree it was common sense because that was the result of their vote whether to bring him back, with them saying "We knew it was not in the spirit of the game."

Incorrect, so it seems.

Law 38 (Run out)
1. Out Run out
(a) Either batsman is out Run out, except as in 2 below, if at any time while the ball is in play
and (ii) his wicket is fairly put down by the opposing side.
(b) (a) above shall apply even though No ball has been called and whether or not a run is being attempted, except in the circumstances of Law 39.3(b) (Not out Stumped).

Law 39 (Stumped)
(b) The striker shall not be out Run out if he is out of his ground, not attempting a run, and his wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another member of the fielding side, if No ball has been called.

I have to admit i was in your camp, but closer scrutiny seems to show the Jones dismissal was legal. It was not the wicket keeper that took the stump out. A very interesting one.

I have been out of the game for a fair while now and am not sure of the rule has been changed over the years or not, but closer scrutiny of the rule leaves me with a bit of doubt. The whole rule reads -

1. Out Run out
(a) Either batsman is out Run out, except as in 2 below, if, at any time while the ball is in play,
and (ii) his wicket is fairly put down by the action of a fielder.
(b) (a) above shall apply even though No ball has been called and whether or not a run is being attempted, except in the circumstances of 2(e) below.
2. Batsman not Run out
Notwithstanding 1 above, a batman is not out Run out if
(a) he has been within his ground and has subsequently left it to avoid injury, when the wicket is put down.
Note also the provisions of Law 29.1(b) (When out of his ground) (http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-29-batsman-out-of-his-ground,55,AR.html)
(b) the ball has not subsequently been touched by a fielder, after the bowler has entered his delivery stride, before the wicket is put down.
(c) the ball, having been played by the striker, or having come off his person, directly strikes a protective helmet worn by a fielder and without further contact with him or any other fielder rebounds directly on to the wicket. However, the ball remains in play and either batsman may be Run out in the circumstances of 1 above if a wicket is subsequently put down.
(d) he is out Stumped. See Law 39.1(b) (Out Stumped) (http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-39-stumped,65,AR.html).
(e) No ball has been called
and (i) he is out of his ground not attempting a run
and (ii) the wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another fielder.
3. Which batsman is out
The batsman out in the circumstances of 1 above is the one whose ground is at the end where the wicket is put down. See Laws 2.8 (Transgression of the Laws by a batsman who has a runner) (http://www.lords.org/) and 29.2 (Which is a batsman’s ground).

2.(e) which is in bold seems to suggest to me that he is not out if not attempting a run.

TheNuclearOne
3rd August 2011, 10:10 AM
The rule has apparently stayed the same.

2.(e) is only valid if the wicketkeeper removes the bails/breaks the wicket. You've only highlighted half of your rule. The half not highlighted is

and (i) he is out of his ground not attempting a run
and (ii) the wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another fielder.

The wicket keeper in Jones case did not even touch the ball.

To me Jones bad luck in all this was getting bowled. The way i read it is that if he( say) knicked it to the keeper off a no ball. walked off and the keeper removed the bails he's not out.

If Jones is caught at cover, then walks off while cover throws to the keeper who removes the bails he's out by my interpretation as another fielder has had "intervention".

Let me know if you find out different off anyone, it's a corker of a rule.

Personally i can't see why you should be out walking off regardless of whether the keeper gets the ball initially or not. I mean what happens if the keeper catches you, you walk off and he (keeper) then quickly throws it to short leg who throws it back to him (or short leg simply removes the bails) and he removes the bails? lmao

I might even mail this one.

Sydney Hacker
3rd August 2011, 10:30 AM
Doesn't section 2 of the rule relate to when the batsmen is "not run out"?

The way I read it is - The batsmen is not run out if no ball has been called and he is out of his ground not attempting a run.

Section ii of that rule when read in conjunction with the header of the rule - Batsmen not run out, when no ball is called and the wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another fielder still leads me to think he is not out.

TheNuclearOne
3rd August 2011, 10:41 AM
I'll email it away in the next few days. There is an "and" in between the 2 sections you are talking about.

and (i) he is out of his ground not attempting a run and (ii) the wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another fielder.

It reads to me like both have to be applicable which leads me back to out if a stanard fielder performs the action.

goonie
4th August 2011, 11:01 PM

Werd.

Superb article.

My mate posted that on his facebook page. I agreed wholeheartedly.

Is there a single serious cricket fan in the country who thinks that Hilditch should keep his job?

Article was pretty much on the money, the selectors have been terrible for a long time and seem to be getting worse, with the pinnacle of there stupidity being the appointment of new captain.
With the current team and captain I don't see the Aussie's doing to well anytime soon.

Yossarian
5th August 2011, 12:39 AM
Who would you pick as captain?

I think Clarke will do a good job.

AndyP
5th August 2011, 07:13 AM
Dougie Bollinger.

KristianJ
6th August 2011, 09:37 AM
Anyone playing this coming summer? I've almost got my cricket ho-ing out of the way leading up to the start of my comp in about 5 weeks. New bat, pads and bag ready to go.

LarryLong
6th August 2011, 10:04 PM
I'm feeling the yearly pull back to cricket. Pre-season starting tomorrow. I'm an unlikely starter though, because I'm too old and bowling hurts. Considering the occasional hit and giggle in the thirds and fourths though.

goonie
7th August 2011, 12:34 AM

I think Clarke will do a good job.

Anyone

Sydney Hacker
7th August 2011, 06:32 AM
I considered playing this year because my son wanted me too, plus he will start playing thus year. But after one hit in the netsmy knees were telling me I was too fat and slow to do it!

Yossarian
7th August 2011, 05:45 PM
Anyone

So Clarke meets your criteria then. Sweet

goonie
7th August 2011, 11:53 PM
So Clarke meets your criteria then. Sweet

Sorry, anyone but that loser (Clarke), is that better.

Ned
9th August 2011, 10:37 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/pakistan-born-australian-batsman-usman-khawaja-is-currently-being-refused-a-visa-into-india/story-fn2mcu3x-1226111920206

TheNuclearOne
13th August 2011, 10:11 PM
Extremely happy to see the poms utterly killing the Indians after their thrashing of Australia out here. Immediate form post that Test series win was pointing toward them not being as good as it seemed but they've more than blown that out of the water. Makes me feel a bit better that we were beaten by a real quality team. A strange part of me is happy to see them have their days in the sun. It's been a long time between drinks. For me they ain't number one until they match up vs S.A.

TheNuclearOne
14th August 2011, 03:20 AM
The Poms by an innings and 242, incredible.

Pencil
14th August 2011, 07:32 PM
Extremely happy to see the poms utterly killing the Indians after their thrashing of Australia out here. Immediate form post that Test series win was pointing toward them not being as good as it seemed but they've more than blown that out of the water. Makes me feel a bit better that we were beaten by a real quality team. A strange part of me is happy to see them have their days in the sun. It's been a long time between drinks. For me they ain't number one until they match up vs S.A.

That doesn't happy until July/Aug 2012 then they head back to India a few months later.

TheNuclearOne
14th August 2011, 11:02 PM
That doesn't happy until July/Aug 2012 then they head back to India a few months later.

Ok, a year away.

Great effort by the Aussies tonight to restrict the Lankans.

Yossarian
15th August 2011, 12:12 AM
Is it on TV?

TheNuclearOne
15th August 2011, 12:33 AM
No.

TheNuclearOne
15th August 2011, 01:56 AM
Top innings by Ponting and a great win.

Jarro
15th August 2011, 05:59 AM
Top innings by Ponting and a great win.

Nice contribution from Clarke as well

Yossarian
15th August 2011, 08:28 AM
Two wins from two games now I think?

What a shit captain.

Jarro
15th August 2011, 08:29 AM
Early days yet ............

3oneday
15th August 2011, 08:29 AM
Really, one dayers are important ? I thought one day cricket was dead ?

Yossarian
15th August 2011, 08:32 AM
They aren't. Xavier Doherty would be a better skipper.

Sydney Hacker
15th August 2011, 08:33 AM

What a shit captain.

Hopefully Clarke works out to be a great skipper, I just wish he would stop *ucking whistling at his players, what are they, Kelpies?

TheNuclearOne
15th August 2011, 09:27 AM
Really, one dayers are important ? I thought one day cricket was dead ?

They are extremely important because we've actually been winning our share for a while as opposed to other forms of cricket :D

Yossarian
16th August 2011, 10:03 PM
Zigs man is on fire.

goonie
16th August 2011, 10:46 PM

What a shit captain.

Wow we beat Sri Lanka, were back, Clarke's a genius.

Yossarian
16th August 2011, 11:04 PM
Agreed. The world cup grand finalists are rubbish!

AndyP
17th August 2011, 08:36 AM
Agreed. The world cup grand finalists are rubbish!

Ha!

Do we play a test soon or what? Maybe playing all this T20/ODI BS is meant to build anticipation for the real stuff.

just
17th August 2011, 08:38 AM
Zigs man is on fire.
Is he fit enough to last a whole test? I doubt it.

Yossarian
17th August 2011, 02:53 PM
How bad are sri lanka!

Bruce
17th August 2011, 03:05 PM
Sri Lanka are pretty good at full strength. They were a little unlucky to lose the first test in England and played in the World Cup final.

Yossarian
17th August 2011, 03:08 PM
Should I have put a smilie in my post....

They pumped us pretty well last night.

Bruce
17th August 2011, 04:40 PM
The ins for the Shrees were pretty handy.

TheNuclearOne
17th August 2011, 06:14 PM
Should I have put a smilie in my post....

They pumped us pretty well last night.

You shouldn't, no :D

Yeah we got smashed. Still sitting good tho.

goonie
17th August 2011, 11:09 PM
Normal programming under Clarke returned hey?

Yossarian
17th August 2011, 11:16 PM
Yep, he is so crap. Worst captain ever. Get goonie in there to skipper!

goonie
18th August 2011, 02:02 PM
Yep, he is so crap. Worst captain ever. Get goonie in there to skipper!

I would but I'm still injuried :D

OK OK he is better than me at cricket, but he still sucks.

Time will tell how he goes as Captain, but my prediction (hope) is he won't last long.

Yossarian
18th August 2011, 02:41 PM
Wait.

You think he is a shit cricketer

and

a shit captain?

The captain issues is certainly up for debate.

He is a very very good cricketer.

Bruce
18th August 2011, 03:29 PM
But if he plays another flat footed waft outside off stump during the test matches, I will LOSE MY SHIT!

Yossarian
18th August 2011, 03:36 PM
:lol:

He got rid of it a few seasons ago.

Then it came back. It is ugly. And the reason I would not call him an excellent cricketer. Although I have a lot of man love for him.

Jarro
19th August 2011, 02:51 PM
Chappell and Hilditch .... gawwwwn !!!!!!!

3oneday
19th August 2011, 02:59 PM
Thank ****

Jarro
19th August 2011, 03:12 PM
Nielsen has to re-apply for the coaching role too :shock:

They're really having a major shakeup 8)

3oneday
19th August 2011, 03:44 PM
Can't say he's been great, they should consider having a coach for every form.

Just as the Captains may not be suited to one form of cricket, who's to say the coach has the right strategies for each form as well ?

goonie
19th August 2011, 04:23 PM

What about Clarke? He should have to re-apply too.

goonie
19th August 2011, 04:25 PM
Can't say he's been great, they should consider having a coach for every form.

Just as the Captains may not be suited to one form of cricket, who's to say the coach has the right strategies for each form as well ?

+1

Clarke shouldn't even be playing the short version of the game.

TheNuclearOne
19th August 2011, 05:01 PM

Bout f****** time!

Pieface
19th August 2011, 06:32 PM

We asked for proof...

There is a God!!!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

TR66
19th August 2011, 06:49 PM

Two Ashes series too late, good ridddance!

markTHEblake
19th August 2011, 09:22 PM
So which pair of tools are we all going to blame next?

Jarro
20th August 2011, 06:21 AM
The hunt is on ..... who will it be ........

markTHEblake
20th August 2011, 10:25 AM
How good is England going? They used their no. 11 as the night watchman!

TheNuclearOne
20th August 2011, 09:58 PM
The Lankans 7-130 with the series on the line, come on Aussie! Doherty going well and Lee continues his superb one day form.

TheNuclearOne
20th August 2011, 10:03 PM
Make that 8-132 Doherty 4-28.

TheNuclearOne
20th August 2011, 10:09 PM
Goodness, all out 132 LOL Brett Lee 4-15.

TheNuclearOne
20th August 2011, 10:10 PM
Lee and Doherty 4 wickets for 4 runs to finish the innings.

TheNuclearOne
21st August 2011, 12:46 AM
Not that it matters but we have gone from 2-123 to 5-123 lmao. 3 wickets for zero freckin runs. Mike Hussey a golden duck and his bro a second ball duck. Three wickets in four balls for zero runs.

TheNuclearOne
21st August 2011, 12:55 AM
So we roll the extremely talented Sri Lankan one day side. Superb result considering they were at home.

timah!
21st August 2011, 01:24 AM
Come on Aussie C'mon, c'mon...

Jarro
31st August 2011, 02:42 PM
First Test about to start .... after the drizzle disappears :roll:

What do we all make of the Aussie side ? I think Sean Marsh is a tad unlucky to not be opening with Watson.

Australia XI for Galle: 1 Shane Watson, 2 Phil Hughes, 3 Ricky Ponting, 4 Michael Clarke (capt), 5 Michael Hussey, 6 Usman Khawaja, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Trent Copeland, 10 Ryan Harris, 11 Nathan Lyon. (12th man - Michael Beer)

Bruce
31st August 2011, 02:49 PM
Gunna rain all week in Galle.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/43495.html

Yossarian
31st August 2011, 03:15 PM
Khawaja is the right choice IMO. Marsh is always been just off being a test bat and is now getting oldish.

Jarro
31st August 2011, 03:20 PM
So Hughes is a better option than Marsh ?

Yossarian
31st August 2011, 03:22 PM
Yep. Hughes had a better domestic season IIRC, and can clearly cut it at test level. You don't score back to back tons without some skills. Hughes is also part of the future Marsh is not.

Jarro
31st August 2011, 03:24 PM
You're probably right, as i can't really recall either players stats .... and Hughes is definitely younger than Marsh.

I just always thought Marsh would be a shoe-in to get a test gig ..... he just seems to have it all, wheras Hughes seems a little erratic to me :-s

Yossarian
31st August 2011, 03:27 PM
I think Marsh has suffered greatly from timing, he was in good form when we didn't need him and options were plentiful. Now his form has deserted him a little, he has torn that hammy a few times and the team is in more of rebuild mode.

AndyP
31st August 2011, 03:29 PM
There's no need to comment on the bowlers, as we know that the lineup is top notch. Not that it matters; we have Michael Clarke as captain, that is enough.

Jarro
31st August 2011, 03:33 PM
The stats certainly favour Hughes ... with 5008 runs @ 51.62 in 103 innings.

Marsh has 3658 @ 37.71 in 112 innings.

Play has started anyway .. .Aussies batting first 8)

** first class averages**

TR66
31st August 2011, 04:29 PM
Watto gone already, why do they keep perservering with this bloke.

AndyP
31st August 2011, 04:31 PM
Are you trolling?

Jarro
31st August 2011, 04:49 PM
Watto gone already, why do they keep perservering with this bloke.

'cos he's probably our best batsman

kpac
31st August 2011, 05:09 PM
'cos he's probably our best sook

Well it's true.

TheNuclearOne
31st August 2011, 05:15 PM
Hughes shits me, he has loads of talent but has been underachieving since his bumper start.

TR66
31st August 2011, 05:16 PM
Are you trolling?

Yep!

Jarro
31st August 2011, 05:16 PM
Hughes shits me, he has loads of talent but has been underachieving since his bumper start.

Yep, i still reckon we should've gone with Marsh :roll:

TheNuclearOne
31st August 2011, 05:19 PM
Marsh is more reliable, Hughes i guess more promising and potentially in the future of the team tho he'd better buck up sooner or later..

Tongueboy
31st August 2011, 05:20 PM
hughes got a good ball! done well to touch it

TR66
31st August 2011, 05:22 PM
2/76 at lunch, only 90 minurtes of play, good fightback by Ponting and Clarke. In saying that we will probably lose a quick wicket or two after lunch.

TheNuclearOne
31st August 2011, 06:06 PM
2/76 at lunch, only 90 minurtes of play, good fightback by Ponting and Clarke. In saying that we will probably lose a quick wicket or two after lunch.

Welllll lol

Jarro
31st August 2011, 06:24 PM
Sack Clarke ... he's a dud !!!

simmsy
31st August 2011, 06:49 PM

that's a troll right there!

the bloke is a crab!! has not got one text book shot in his arsenal and continually gets out searching or forcing shots.

F*&^ i hate the fact they got rid of Katich.

TheNuclearOne
31st August 2011, 10:15 PM
Thank god they didn't get rid of Hussey. He's been a revelation since almost getting dropped.

3oneday
31st August 2011, 10:17 PM
You're banned.

Yossarian
31st August 2011, 10:22 PM
273 will be an ok score on this deck I reckon.

BrisWesty
31st August 2011, 10:30 PM
Bring back Katich! His spinners would be interesting on the SL tracks too.

TheNuclearOne
31st August 2011, 10:41 PM
Hussey is averaging about 66 thru the Pommie series and so far this one. Hate to see what the other specialist bats are doing.

TR66
1st September 2011, 11:00 AM
Shame for Huss but Lyon must be pissing his pant's with anticipation, couldn't ask for a better wicket to play your first test, probably could have gone in with another hoop.

Speaking of which, I have long suspected Beer's selection was due to a misunderstanding at a selection meeting attended by Merv Hughes and David Boon. "How about Beer?", asked Andrew Hilditch. Boon and Hughes "Great idea, mate"

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 12:10 PM
Did you lift that from cricinfo or have you only just heard it?

3oneday
1st September 2011, 12:24 PM
Shame for Huss but Lyon must be pissing his pant's with anticipation, couldn't ask for a better wicket to play your first test

I think the selectors hope you are right, because in this test apart from Clarke we've got very few bowling options when the going get's tough.

Funny how the two oldest players top scored, but if we lose this series can we still blame Hilditch ???

Jarro
1st September 2011, 12:25 PM
Shame for Huss but Lyon must be pissing his pant's with anticipation, couldn't ask for a better wicket to play your first test, probably could have gone in with another hoop.

Speaking of which, I have long suspected Beer's selection was due to a misunderstanding at a selection meeting attended by Merv Hughes and David Boon. "How about Beer?", asked Andrew Hilditch. Boon and Hughes "Great idea, mate"

Doesn't Boonie drink scotch now ??

TR66
1st September 2011, 12:36 PM
Did you lift that from cricinfo or have you only just heard it?

Unashamedly lifted from Cricinfo.

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 12:43 PM
Unashamedly lifted from Cricinfo.

Haha, no worries.

As I said earlier I don't think we have done too badly.

Watto got a ripper, Hughes got a fairly good ball as well.

Clarke sounded like he got a decent ball but I didn't see it. He still seems a little out of sorts. Haddin blazed like he does. Stupid.

Lot of pressure on Lyon to get it right though!

TR66
1st September 2011, 01:09 PM
Haha, no worries.

As I said earlier I don't think we have done too badly.

Watto got a ripper, Hughes got a fairly good ball as well.

Clarke sounded like he got a decent ball but I didn't see it. He still seems a little out of sorts. Haddin blazed like he does. Stupid.

Lot of pressure on Lyon to get it right though!

Spot on Yoss, what are your thought's on Haddin? Me I can't stand the bloke, flat track bully at best, ordinary keeper, jeez who is he shagging. Not fit enough to hold Gilly's jockstrap IMHO.
If the ACB are serious about looking at blooding youth Paine should have been in a year ago.

AndyP
1st September 2011, 01:43 PM
Funny how the two oldest players top scored, but if we lose this series can we still blame Hilditch ???Aren't they still his selections for this test series?

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 01:56 PM
Spot on Yoss, what are your thought's on Haddin? Me I can't stand the bloke, flat track bully at best, ordinary keeper, jeez who is he shagging. Not fit enough to hold Gilly's jockstrap IMHO.
If the ACB are serious about looking at blooding youth Paine should have been in a year ago.

The ACB don't know what they are serious about. I think Haddin deserves his spot for the most part. His keeping is ok. Paine isn't a great deal better in that regard.
He is more than a flat track bully. He just seems to have serious mental issues when it comes to batting. It is all very well to counterattack but he needs to pull his head in at times. I thought he had finally twigged to this in the Ashes series just gone.

kpac
1st September 2011, 02:13 PM
Haddin is a first class knob. Paine would be and apt keeper given the options. I'm going to do my stack if Smith get's another dip at test cricket. I'm sick of seeing players (hughes included) get the opportunity because they've got 'something different', get a straight bat or a decent line and length and then knock on the door!

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 02:27 PM
A knob that scores runs.

Jarro
1st September 2011, 03:49 PM
Paine is miles ahead of Haddin keeping-wise ... and if the ACB were fair dinkum they'd arsehole Haddin and get Paine in NOW !!!

TR66
1st September 2011, 03:55 PM
Here here!

Haddinds had his (too many) days in the sun.

Jarro
1st September 2011, 03:58 PM
Paine is a future leader too, and has been earmarked for the captaincy one day.

Get him in there now so he can get his sea-legs.

Moe Norman
1st September 2011, 04:52 PM
I'm going to do my stack if Smith get's another dip at test cricket. I'm sick of seeing players (hughes included) get the opportunity because they've got 'something different',

Hughes got an opportunity because he scored a truckload of runs, sp many he couldn't be ignored and the flat track bully had to retire.

He then scored heaps of runs against the best attack in the world and was dropped after 2 bad tests. Never been the same since, which suggests he is mentally weak.

However, any suggestion he got a game for any reason other than form is quite retarded.

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 05:30 PM
Paine is miles ahead of Haddin keeping-wise ... and if the ACB were fair dinkum they'd arsehole Haddin and get Paine in NOW !!!

Don't really agree.

TheNuclearOne
1st September 2011, 05:30 PM
Haddin's averaging 40 with the bat in test cricket, with 3 tons and 8 fitties. He has scored loads of runs when they've been needed and kept ok. I'd hate to see him go personally, based on results.

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:03 PM
What really troubles me is our opening bat is close to our best bowler.

TheNuclearOne
1st September 2011, 06:11 PM
Which would probably make him our best cricketer lol

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:11 PM
Shit captaincy from Clarke to bring him on to bowl.

TheNuclearOne
1st September 2011, 06:12 PM
Goodness me lol!!! C'mon Aussie!

Sydney Hacker
1st September 2011, 06:13 PM
Paine has another broken finger at the moment so he is no chance.

I do think he is a marginally better keeper though.

TheNuclearOne
1st September 2011, 06:18 PM
Little doubt Paine is the better keeper.

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:20 PM
He isn't that much better IMO. Haddin is a better bat.

TheNuclearOne
1st September 2011, 06:21 PM
Haddin's a better bat for sure. You can hardly drop him given his results. He could alllllllmost play as a number 6 bat.

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:22 PM
Jason: "Australia have searched their country far and wide to find a spinner exactly like Nathan Hauritz."

From cricinfo.

AndyP
Are you watching the cricket, Yoss? I thought you didn't have payTV?

TheNuclearOne
Classic stuff from cricinfo

"Australia have searched their country far and wide to find a spinner exactly like Nathan Hauritz."

:D

Jarro
1st September 2011, 06:26 PM
He isn't that much better IMO. Haddin is a better bat.

Haddin's a better bat for sure. You can hardly drop him given his results. He could alllllllmost play as a number 6 bat.

Paine is no slouch with the willow either.

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:26 PM
Are you watching the cricket, Yoss? I thought you didn't have payTV?

Streaming baby yeah!

Paine is no slouch with the willow either.

Haddin is better.

Jarro
1st September 2011, 06:28 PM
Paine is the future

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:30 PM
As SH pointed out his finger is broken. Until haddin stops making runs or hits about 35 he is all good IMO.

I guess you want Harris out of the side then and thought dumping Katich was the right move?

Jarro
1st September 2011, 06:32 PM
Harris is good, he can stay.

Katich had to go, his technique was all wrong

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:34 PM
Harris is good, he can stay.

Katich had to go, his technique was all wrong

Harris has a knee that is likely to go and is on the wrong side of 30 for a fast bowler.

His technique worked. You are on drugs if you think they should have killed him off.

Go Lyon!

270 was a good score!

Jarro
1st September 2011, 06:35 PM
Katich was too old anyway ... time to move on

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:36 PM
Katich was too old anyway ... time to move on

So haddin has a couple more years then?

Jarro
1st September 2011, 06:37 PM
So haddin has a couple more years then?

If he's lucky.

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:39 PM
Right, nice cohesive argument there jarro.

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:40 PM
http://www.thecricket-tv.info/2011/08/live-cricket-streaming.html

Good stream.

Jarro
1st September 2011, 06:43 PM
He'll stay because he's the incumbent .. .and really, i can't really argue with that.

He needs to score plenty of runs though IMO, as his keeping is really not up to international standard.

He's only there because he's seen as another Gilchrist type slogger.

If the new regime are serious about taking Australia back to the top of the heap, then i think they need to ditch Haddin and get Paine in ASAP ... particularly while Ponting is still there.

Jarro
1st September 2011, 06:44 PM
Nice Michelle for Lyon :)

Jarro
1st September 2011, 06:45 PM
Right, nice cohesive argument there jarro.

yeah right, like it's never stopped you before :lol:

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:48 PM
He'll stay because he's the incumbent .. .and really, i can't really argue with that.

Ok.

He needs to score plenty of runs though IMO, as his keeping is really not up to international standard.

He does score runs. And Paine isn't that much better with the gloves. Haddin does make some ugly errors. You pick the best gloveman or the best bat. Paine isn't either IMO. We have had this argument before.

He's only there because he's seen as another Gilchrist type slogger.

I disagree. He hits it hard but he isn't a real "slogger".

If the new regime are serious about taking Australia back to the top of the heap, then i think they need to ditch Haddin and get Paine in ASAP ... particularly while Ponting is still there.

Why can't they get back to no 1 in the next two years with him as keeper?

yeah right, like it's never stopped you before :lol:

I don't usually contradict myself within two posts.

EDIT

You didn't actually really do this lazy reading on my part.

270 was a good score!

TR66
1st September 2011, 06:51 PM

I bet Lyon's gone and soiled his pants again, different fluid though.

AndyP
1st September 2011, 06:52 PM
If Clarke was a better captain, Sri Lanka would have to follow on.

Jarro
1st September 2011, 06:53 PM
Your man-crush on Haddin is admirable Yoss ...

... but isn't Paine much prettier ?

Haddin won't be around for the re-emergance of Australian cricket ... he'll be slurping mushed prunes at the old peoples home instead.

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 06:56 PM
If Clarke was a better captain, Sri Lanka would have to follow on.

Indeed. Sri Lanka deserve to win this.

Your man-crush on Haddin is admirable Yoss ...

... but isn't Paine much prettier ?

Clearly you like the pretty ones then. They are both 5 11 which would suit you I guess.

Haddin won't be around for the re-emergance of Australian cricket ... he'll be slurping mushed prunes at the old peoples home instead.

When are we going to re-emerge?

AndyP
1st September 2011, 06:58 PM
Hauritz would have got 6 and Bollinger 7. This is shit!

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 07:21 PM
Shit captaincy from Clarke bowling Watto, rattled his focus.

WBennett
1st September 2011, 07:36 PM
Haddin should be the keeper. Waited ten years for his chance, makes runs. Glovework is passable, no worse than Gilchrists. Paine should come into the ODI team to gain the required international experience.

Pieface
1st September 2011, 09:10 PM
Gilchrist's glovework trailed off in his later years but he was better than Haddin early in his career.

Australia look in a pretty handy position despite Pup just losing his wicket. I guess you shouldn't judge until both side have had a bat. I thought we were in big trouble coming into today.

EDIT
Hussey gone next ball doh!

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 09:15 PM
Is Gilchrist in line for test selection again?

Pieface
1st September 2011, 09:20 PM
nice collapse underway

WBennett
1st September 2011, 09:23 PM
Nice landmine of a pitch. 16 wickets down today...

Daves
1st September 2011, 09:24 PM
Nice landmine of a pitch. 16 wickets down today...

Yeah, looks like it is made of Talcum powder!, the ball literally explodes off the surface.

Pieface
1st September 2011, 09:38 PM
Stumps...that sucks. Yoss' feed was working well and I was just starting to contemplate needing the got my drunk on thread a bit later on!

Yossarian
1st September 2011, 09:43 PM
Go Haddin!

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 05:22 PM
Harris and Khawaja are taking SL out of this game very rapidly. 32 off 48 balls current partnership. Invaluable.

Jarro
2nd September 2011, 05:55 PM
Harris is looking pretty good with the bat actually 8)

He's rapidly running out of partners though

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 05:57 PM
He just got out this second lol, but a top lil dig on a track batsmen are struggling to get anything on.

Jarro
2nd September 2011, 05:58 PM
oops :(

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 05:58 PM
One more run for a 3fitty lead.

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 05:59 PM
oops :(

lmao!!!! We're 349 ahead mate, don't stress :D

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 06:00 PM
Make that 353 :D

Jarro
2nd September 2011, 06:01 PM

:lol: no stressing here ... i was just admiring how good a job he was doing with the bat.

Timing is everything so they say ;)

KristianJ
2nd September 2011, 06:01 PM

+1...they just had a graphic on screen saying that the highest successful chase at Galle is 96. Surely this one's sewn up.

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 06:04 PM
+1...they just had a graphic on screen saying that the highest successful chase at Galle is 96. Surely this one's sewn up.

You'd sure hope so. One of the cricinfo commentators said just before he thinks SL can get anything under 340-350 LOL! Said we were lucky in all three dismissals of their top bats. I'm calling BS at this stage.

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 06:05 PM
:lol: no stressing here ... i was just admiring how good a job he was doing with the bat.

Timing is everything so they say ;)

True enuff :D

VERY handy mini innings.

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 06:05 PM
Last wicket partnership 20 and counting :D

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 06:09 PM
Number 11 Copeland 22 off 20 balls.

Current partnership 28 runs, 3.2 overs, RR: 8.40 (Lyon 10, Copeland 18

Jarro
2nd September 2011, 06:09 PM
Pitch seems to be playing the best it has all game today

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 06:13 PM
Jeez don't say that hahahahha

Jarro
2nd September 2011, 06:16 PM
All out for 210.

Big chase for the 'Lankans ..... :)

TheNuclearOne
2nd September 2011, 06:18 PM
All out for 210.

Big chase for the 'Lankans ..... :)

80 quick runs for the last 3 wickets on a difficult batting track. Love it.

AndyP
2nd September 2011, 11:01 PM
Ponting had a bowl. WTF?

TheNuclearOne
3rd September 2011, 12:01 AM
Trying to stretch out the overs due to bad light. He actually had a big LBW shout on Jayawardene.

Yossarian
3rd September 2011, 12:54 AM
Ponting had a bowl. WTF?

Heated shapes!

Grunt
8th September 2011, 02:58 PM
Good Start in the 2nd test

Sri Lanka are 2/13 after 6 overs

kingslayer33
8th September 2011, 03:09 PM
There goes another one ...

Jarro
8th September 2011, 03:10 PM
Great catch by Hussey 8)

Copeland seems to be a good prospect too

sms316
8th September 2011, 03:14 PM
Copeland seems to be a good prospect too

He does come from the right bloodline. ;)

I see Dave Warner is on his way over as cover. NSW really do churn out test cricketer after test cricketer. 8)

Steve57
8th September 2011, 03:19 PM
3/24 now after 11

TheNuclearOne
8th September 2011, 05:13 PM
5-76, Aussies going great guns again.

Yossarian
8th September 2011, 05:49 PM
Shit drop for Watson! Awful captaincy to put him there.

Yossarian
8th September 2011, 06:40 PM
Nice captaincy to bring hussey on for a roll!

AndyP
8th September 2011, 06:52 PM
So Hussey and Ponting have had a bowl this series after years of not doing so. I've been wanting them to have a bowl for ages, just for a change up.

Great captaincy!

Jarro
8th September 2011, 06:54 PM
I'll bet Haddin doesn't get a bowl [-(

Yossarian
8th September 2011, 06:55 PM
I'd say you'd probably be right Jarro.

Jarro
8th September 2011, 07:10 PM
He doesn't need to anyway, Harris is doing the job for us ATM :)

TR66
9th September 2011, 02:27 PM
So Hussey and Ponting have had a bowl this series after years of not doing so. I've been wanting them to have a bowl for ages, just for a change up.

Great captaincy!

I reckon they would all bowl a little better than a average standard, growing up and batting against Marto from the age of 11 to 16 used to scare the shit out of me, actually keeping when he was batting used to give me the shits too.

Jarro
9th September 2011, 02:29 PM
Terrible leave by Watson #-o

What the hell was he doing !!

Pieface
9th September 2011, 02:31 PM
Terrible leavePerfect Dilshan by Watson #-o

What the hell was he doing !!

Looks like that has got the Sri lankan's pepped up a bit. Can't believe I just got burned with a Back to the future analogy on cricinfo. FML.

LarryLong
9th September 2011, 02:44 PM
Looks like that has got the Sri lankan's pepped up a bit. Can't believe I just got burned with a Back to the future analogy on cricinfo. FML.

Morgan? That was funny. Geeks are always so literal. :)

I'm torn between wanting to see a big score and hoping Hughes doesn't cement his place at the top of the order.

Sydney Hacker
9th September 2011, 02:47 PM
I would like to see Marsh get a big score here, just to keep everyone on their toes.

Some argue he shouldn't of been picked, but he does make for a nice batsman to watch while at the crease.

Jarro
9th September 2011, 02:53 PM
I would like to see Marsh get a big score here, just to keep everyone on their toes.

Some argue he shouldn't of been picked, but he does make for a nice batsman to watch while at the crease.

Agreed ... great talent 8)

Shadesy
9th September 2011, 03:52 PM
Agreed ... great talent 8)

It has and always has been in SOS's head when batting. He has matured greatly in 18 months and his scores at shield level have reflected it.

Great bat, this will be a great test of his mental fortitude!

Jarro
9th September 2011, 03:55 PM
Clarke gone, caught at slip :roll:

116/3

Pieface
9th September 2011, 04:04 PM
Looks like it is up to the WA boys to get the jerb done!

Go Huss, Go Marshy!...well after the rain delay...

Sri lanka are right back in this I reckon. 3 wickets by lunch is a good mornings work.

Jarro
9th September 2011, 04:07 PM
They've bowled well

TheNuclearOne
9th September 2011, 05:32 PM
The ship is now steadied.

Jarro
9th September 2011, 06:30 PM
The ship is now steadied.

Well and truly ... :)

Marsh is looking in good touch (58) with Hussey his usual solid self

Pieface
9th September 2011, 06:51 PM
two quality WAnkers right there :D

Jarro
9th September 2011, 07:06 PM
two quality WAnkers right there :D

Probably the picks of the litter you might say ;)

Yossarian
9th September 2011, 11:53 PM
But if he plays another flat footed waft outside off stump during the test matches, I will LOSE MY SHIT!

hmm

Jarro
10th September 2011, 06:27 AM
So who are they gonna drop to keep Marsh in ?

Pressure must be on Khwaja surely

Bruce
10th September 2011, 07:56 AM
hmm
I haven't seen it yet.