PDA

View Full Version : Back to the basics

Ned
4th June 2011, 12:43 PM
So NKJ is starting to show some self interest in playing golf again.

He had been asking about playing this weekend so off we go for a hit this morning, difference being no golf cart (as its a slow rebuild of the suspension and put back together) and as we still only have one push cart, I actually carried the crubs today.

Added to this, no GPS, Laser or even mobile telephone.

Cant say that the shoulder was real happy about putting up with playing as well as lugging the bag, but well didn't score any worse then I have been lately.

Do we have TOO much convenience in golf ?

or should convenience be balanced against improvements / efficiencies in improving speed of play to retain / increase participation ?

Had to laugh, was actually making progress on putting the cart back together last night and NKJ was doing his best to assist, with a regular question being "If we get this finished tonight, can we use it for golf tomorrow".:lol:

mike
4th June 2011, 01:13 PM
Yes.

Good to hear you're walking. Don't let Jack get into the buggy habit.

Daves
4th June 2011, 01:40 PM
Another tick for walking. I am getting to really loathe carting, especially in the wet.

Around my home track, I use GPS/Rangy much less than other places. The thing is though, most comps I play in seem to be relatively slow, so toys do help to pass the time and dim the the temper. I also tend to take a lot of sand buckets to keep me occupied whilst we wait and wait and wait!

Moe Norman
4th June 2011, 06:48 PM
carts shouldn't be allowed unless you have a medical certificate.

AndyP
4th June 2011, 06:51 PM
Or you need an esky.

Ned
4th June 2011, 06:51 PM
carts shouldn't be allowed unless you have a medical certificate.

These days you only need to know a Pharmacist and they are easy to come buy.

Ned
4th June 2011, 06:52 PM
Or you need an esky.

Ive actually got a bracket made up that slots on the back of my cart, it will hold an extra two sets of Clubs or a 30 litre esky easily!

Ned
4th June 2011, 07:02 PM
Yes.

Good to hear you're walking. Don't let Jack get into the buggy habit.

I actually prefer to walk, I just hate lugging he crubs around (either carrying or on a push cart), Ill walk if NKJ/NKJ2 are with us as they can drive the cart, but if the other two players in the group are in a cart also that doesn't work out.

Another tick for walking. I am getting to really loathe carting, especially in the wet.

Around my home track, I use GPS/Rangy much less than other places. The thing is though, most comps I play in seem to be relatively slow, so toys do help to pass the time and dim the the temper. I also tend to take a lot of sand buckets to keep me occupied whilst we wait and wait and wait!

Carts should be not allowed when the course is wet (not a passing shower stuff but significant down pour), if you have cart paths and the rule is to stick to them when wet, it makes for a really long game, if you don't have cart paths and have a high cart playing field then that equals lots of damage that either never comes back as good or takes ages to recover.

As for the gadgets, yes they help pass the time given a lot of players still work on not keeping up with the group in front.

Courty
5th June 2011, 08:30 AM
I actually prefer to walk, I just hate lugging he crubs around (either carrying or on a push cart), Ill walk if NKJ/NKJ2 are with us as they can drive the cart, but if the other two players in the group are in a cart also that doesn't work out.

Easily fixed, just employee a full-time caddy. ;)

oncewasagolfer
5th June 2011, 02:31 PM
Easily fixed, just employ a full-time caddy. ;)
;)

markTHEblake
5th June 2011, 07:46 PM

I first learnt to play golf without any distance markers at all, this was fine when playing your home course as you can judge distance by feel, but when playing a new course was very difficult, and home course advantage was significant. I understand that this should teach a golfer to learn how to judge distances over terrain, which is fine. But not all shots are straight up or down, there can be deceptive undulations in between that nobody would be able to figure out and you just lost strokes plain and simple.

Some people will say that the golfers of old didnt have any trouble playing links courses, but likely these guys had caddies, we don't. The modern concept of the distance markers and sprinkler heads, and now DMD's makes it easier to enjoy our golf on new courses.