PDA

View Full Version : What is the Worst Golf Course You Played in?

gilagolf
1st June 2011, 08:22 PM
If anyone is interested in coming by Malaysia, do let me know, I can probably provide a few tips if required.

I've been reviewing more than 50 plus courses on my site, and still have about 250 to go! There's quite a fair bit of golf courses for a country so small, but it generally shows how crazy we are about it.

Recently just played on (by far) the worst every golf course I have experienced. It's called TUDM Kuantan and the experience was excruciating. Fairways were at places completely bare, just sand, instead of grass. Rough had rocks underneath the soil and completely dented my 60 degree wedge, greens were awful and the aesthetic was terrible. We were playing in an open space next to the military airfield and every 15 minutes or so, you'll have a plane fly right over you as you are teeing off.

Experienced anything like this in OZ?

sms316
1st June 2011, 08:23 PM
Sounds like Rum Corps!

markTHEblake
1st June 2011, 08:25 PM
I have never played a bad golf course.

Hawkers2008
1st June 2011, 08:33 PM
Fairbairn

Goldy
1st June 2011, 09:05 PM
Bundoora

WBennett
1st June 2011, 09:28 PM
I've played both of those!

Goolabri Park is worse.

virge666
1st June 2011, 09:29 PM
Avalon golf club

oncewasagolfer
1st June 2011, 09:38 PM
Lexton is just a paddock with flags even comes with complimentary sheep if that sort of thing floats your boat;)

petethepilot
1st June 2011, 09:45 PM
You are a bit tough on Fairbairn. It has a great set of Par3's and 1 or 2 good par 4's!

Pete

Hawkers2008
1st June 2011, 09:55 PM
I dunno i nearly plumped for Laverton its a close call

Haystacks
1st June 2011, 09:56 PM
If anyone is interested in coming by Malaysia, do let me know, I can probably provide a few tips if required.

I've been reviewing more than 50 plus courses on my site, and still have about 250 to go! There's quite a fair bit of golf courses for a country so small, but it generally shows how crazy we are about it.

Recently just played on (by far) the worst every golf course I have experienced. It's called TUDM Kuantan and the experience was excruciating. Fairways were at places completely bare, just sand, instead of grass. Rough had rocks underneath the soil and completely dented my 60 degree wedge, greens were awful and the aesthetic was terrible. We were playing in an open space next to the military airfield and every 15 minutes or so, you'll have a plane fly right over you as you are teeing off.

Experienced anything like this in OZ?

Hey Gila...I've played that course in Kuantan. Must have been about 9 or 10 years ago.
I agree that it wasn't great, but I wouldn't call it excruciating.

There was a country club type course about 30-40 minutes out of Kuantan that I also played. It was a good track with lots of water and lots of jungle.
Astana? or something like that.

Gomer
1st June 2011, 10:08 PM
Russellvale. Not the worst but not a fan of short courses.

gilagolf
2nd June 2011, 12:26 AM
@Haystacks: It must have went down the drain since the last time you played....it was in a very sorry state. You can check my site for some pictures, at some fairways, it was completely bare! Also, my 60 degree was thrashed as well :(. Yes, Astana, I heard of it, but haven't played there. There are some really good courses in Malaysia actually, just one or two bad apples....

BrisVegas
2nd June 2011, 08:28 AM
The Big Fish up past Caboolture had a course at one point, not sure if it still does? It was probably the worst I've played. I learned to play at Oakey Golf Club (in Jondaryan). It was pretty rough, but at least it was a proper length course.

timah!
2nd June 2011, 09:49 AM
Pine Rivers FTW!!!

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

Minor_Threat
2nd June 2011, 10:10 AM
There was a thread on this a while back, my answer still hasn't changed - Oberon.

markTHEblake
2nd June 2011, 12:51 PM
It is a little unfair to disparage a golf course for what it is. If it is a local carved out of a goat paddock then it does not pretend to be something better.

I would like to hear about courses that are considered awful relative to their class. My old mate who played the asian tour for a while said that most of the new big name courses are terrible, particular the one that has two par 6 holes. No strategy he says.

AndyP
2nd June 2011, 12:54 PM
There was a thread on this a while back, my answer still hasn't changed - Oberon.
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/20438-Worst-Three-Courses-You-Have-Ever-Played

Minor_Threat
2nd June 2011, 01:16 PM
It is a little unfair to disparage a golf course for what it is. If it is a local carved out of a goat paddock then it does not pretend to be something better.
Of course it is what is, that still doesn't change the fact it is the worst golf course someone / whoever has played!

Hawkers2008
2nd June 2011, 01:23 PM

I would like to hear about courses that are considered awful relative to their class. My old mate who played the asian tour for a while said that most of the new big name courses are terrible, particular the one that has two par 6 holes. No strategy he says.

On that basis I would say that Yowani between 2000 and 2005 was one the worst courses in the country. At that time it was allegedly a top 50 course but apart from periods where the weather was in the greenkeeper's favor it was consistently presented well below that standard. Thankfully things have lifted since.

markTHEblake
2nd June 2011, 03:18 PM
Of course it is what is, that still doesn't change the fact it is the worst golf course someone / whoever has played!

it was a general comment not directed at anyone in particular and looking back retrospecively, not to you at all.

dc68
2nd June 2011, 03:40 PM
Portsea is the only place I have played that I would not play again.

dc68
2nd June 2011, 03:41 PM
Apart from North Lakes... Can't forget NL.

timah!
2nd June 2011, 03:44 PM
Apart from North Lakes... Can't forget NL.

I was waiting for it!

dc68
2nd June 2011, 03:58 PM
Broken record... :)

sol381
2nd June 2011, 04:33 PM
cant be worse than ashgrove

u8ergolfer
2nd June 2011, 09:43 PM
Tree Valley Golf Course, Between Liverpool and Ingleburn...One consolation though, its it has a Driving range (of Sorts), so after the looooooooooong drive up the Hume, its ok for the driver reviver stop, a cup of tea, and a bucket of balls,..otherwise an absolute category A shit heap..

Eag's
2nd June 2011, 09:57 PM
I have never played a bad golf course.

You obviously have never played Macarthur Grange?

mike
2nd June 2011, 10:42 PM
Russellvale. Not the worst but not a fan of short courses.Never played there but drove past the venue a zillion times when it was the dump.

razaar
3rd June 2011, 09:20 AM
Mary Kathleen Golf and Country Club in the early 1980's. There was no guarantee that a ball hit to the middle of the faiway would stay in bounds. Not that anybody cared, not sure anybody I knew played it sober.

dc68
3rd June 2011, 02:53 PM
Mary Kathleen Golf and Country Club in the early 1980's. There was no guarantee that a ball hit to the middle of the faiway would stay in bounds. Not that anybody cared, not sure anybody I knew played it sober.

Did this become North Lakes?

razaar
3rd June 2011, 05:00 PM
Come on Dave, the way you hit the ball Northlakes should be a breeze. The only issue with NL is the bounce factor on the edges of the fairways and off the built up greens. I bet other courses wish they had similar drainage design features. That is why it is called Northlakes, the drainage runs into a series of lakes.:)

Lucasto23
3rd June 2011, 06:04 PM
Mogill country club, enough said ;)

AndyP
3rd June 2011, 06:18 PM
I played there once. I can't remember too much about it, except anthills on a couple of greens. It doesn't exist anymore though.

dc68
3rd June 2011, 09:57 PM
Come on Dave, the way you hit the ball Northlakes should be a breeze. The only issue with NL is the bounce factor on the edges of the fairways and off the built up greens. I bet other courses wish they had similar drainage design features. That is why it is called Northlakes, the drainage runs into a series of lakes.:)

Negatory. NL is a shithole.

BGH
6th June 2011, 08:44 AM
Eustondale (http://www.iseekgolf.com/courses/1701-eustondale-golf)

Scifisicko
6th June 2011, 09:42 PM
Westgate hands down. 9 grubby holes including a dog leg par 3 where you can't see the green from the tee.

damoocow
6th June 2011, 09:49 PM
Mogill country club, enough said ;)

Good call, played there once and I remember a par 3 called Elm Street - from memory it was about 170m over a deep gully and a 90 degree sloping fairway near the green - which was about 20 square metres in size. Either you hit the green and stopped dead or your ball was gone.The rest of the course not much better

Bruce
7th June 2011, 09:11 AM
Westgate hands down. 9 grubby holes including a dog leg par 3 where you can't see the green from the tee.

Are you in Melbourne Scifi?

Craig_Syd
8th June 2011, 01:43 PM
Definitely agree Avalon, but also played a course up the Blue Mountains a looong time ago. Think it was Lawson golf club? Shite!

Chilled
10th June 2011, 07:26 AM
Without a doubt it would be Yankalilla Golf Course, which is scrapes in foot high fairway grass. Was an absolute joke.