PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable head drivers

BrisVegas
25th May 2011, 04:19 PM
I'm new to these wrench-adjustable drivers, so was just wondering what settings other people are using. Do they make a noticeable difference?

I played a couple of rounds with my 910D3 on 'A1', which is basically square/neutral. I was thining about trying it on 'B2' this weekend, as it's monthly medal and I need a draw on almost all the tee shots.

I presume you can't change the settings once you start the round....

timah!
25th May 2011, 04:24 PM
Because i'm supremely awesome, I can miss the fairway on either side set on A1!
:lol:

Captain Nemo
25th May 2011, 04:27 PM
I'm new to these wrench-adjustable drivers, so was just wondering what settings other people are using. Do they make a noticeable difference?

I played a couple of rounds with my 910D3 on 'A1', which is basically square/neutral. I was thining about trying it on 'B2' this weekend, as it's monthly medal and I need a draw on almost all the tee shots.

I presume you can't change the settings once you start the round....

That is correct.

Leon Phelps
25th May 2011, 04:39 PM
Because i'm supremely awesome, I can miss the fairway on either side set on A1!
:lol:

I share this elite quality you speak of....

BroKar
25th May 2011, 04:47 PM
whatever setting you play on make sure you have a hit with it first, I have been opening mine up and have a bigger draw since I lowered the loft and opened it compared to what I did when it was closed.

Beno
25th May 2011, 04:58 PM
Most important thing to take out of that is

NO - you can't adjust it mid round - if you play by the rules lol

Not to say i have seen my face fair share of blokes take their R11 to the toilet with them at halfway

Daves
25th May 2011, 05:46 PM
I really haven't bothered other than playing with the loft adjustment. I tried 9.75* for a while but noticed little difference, and with the Nunchuk 10.5* seems ideal. I am going to try 11.25* at some stage, the Nunchuk should eat it up. Not overly keen on opening and closing the face, I like the standard 0.5* open position too much. The real advantage to me is the ability to change, try and compare shafts.

3oneday
25th May 2011, 06:01 PM
They are designed to screw with your head.

This thread shows it's working nicely.

BrisVegas
25th May 2011, 06:13 PM
I've not tried anything other than Std yet, so I don't know if the settings actually do anything. I've hit everything from draws, straight and fades so far. I certainly don't want any more loft, I hit the 8.5 high enough. My miss with it is a high cut, when I don't stay with it and release properly. Not a big cut, but enough to miss the fairway. Every now and then I try and hit a slider, eg the 15th at Brooky and it rarely works. It just becomes a slice. My best drives are the flat ones that go dead straight or slightly draw. Hopefully closing the face a smidge will help that become my more regular shape. We'll see!

goonie
25th May 2011, 09:00 PM
I really haven't bothered other than playing with the loft adjustment. I tried 9.75* for a while but noticed little difference, and with the Nunchuk 10.5* seems ideal. I am going to try 11.25* at some stage, the Nunchuk should eat it up. Not overly keen on opening and closing the face, I like the standard 0.5* open position too much. The real advantage to me is the ability to change, try and compare shafts.

Daves you are already opening or closing the face when you change the loft.

Daves
25th May 2011, 09:04 PM

Don't start that argument again! my head still aches from the last one.

goonie
25th May 2011, 09:04 PM
I've not tried anything other than Std yet, so I don't know if the settings actually do anything. I've hit everything from draws, straight and fades so far. I certainly don't want any more loft, I hit the 8.5 high enough. My miss with it is a high cut, when I don't stay with it and release properly. Not a big cut, but enough to miss the fairway. Every now and then I try and hit a slider, eg the 15th at Brooky and it rarely works. It just becomes a slice. My best drives are the flat ones that go dead straight or slightly draw. Hopefully closing the face a smidge will help that become my more regular shape. We'll see!

BV you could try making the lie more upright (A2 or B2) which will not change the loft or face angle but could take a little of the right side away.

goonie
25th May 2011, 09:06 PM
Don't start that argument again! my head still aches from the last one.

I don't need to argue it's a fact, I even provided the Titleist fitting chart that proved it.

davepuppies
26th May 2011, 09:56 PM
my fitting chart in the book says to me that the loft is independant of the lie? thats why there is 2 ferrules?

virge666
26th May 2011, 10:03 PM
They are designed to screw with your head.

This thread shows it's working nicely.

Agree with you completely Pete

BroKar
26th May 2011, 10:11 PM

Have you actually tested this, based on Titleist website the lie does not change with loft, check out the matrix here Titleist Matrix (http://www.titleist.com.au/golf-clubs/910-performance-matrix.aspx)

If I am missing something please let me know.

goonie
26th May 2011, 10:29 PM
my fitting chart in the book says to me that the loft is independant of the lie? thats why there is 2 ferrules?

Yes the loft adjustment is independent of the lie for the 910 (not R9/R11), never said it wasn't, but loft and face angle aren't independent, in post #13 I even suggested to BV to change his lie because it won't affect the loft,

goonie
26th May 2011, 10:36 PM
Have you actually tested this, based on Titleist website the lie does not change with loft, check out the matrix here Titleist Matrix (http://www.titleist.com.au/golf-clubs/910-performance-matrix.aspx)

If I am missing something please let me know.

Again I never said lie angle changes affect loft with the 910, but loft changes will change the face angle (open/closed face)

Check out the pic below from the Titleist fitting charts or check out this thread - http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/23275-Titleist-surefit-hosel-settings?highlight=910,
I even included a video that shows a Titleist approved fitter using the chart with face angle settings

Daves
27th May 2011, 06:55 AM
I don't need to argue it's a fact, I even provided the Titleist fitting chart that proved it.

Then why do you keeping using an argumentative approach? I did not say you were wrong, but at least explain it (for others benefit) rather than argue it. It doesn't really help referring to an old matrix that Titleist withdrew because, not surprisingly, it confused the punters. With the heel/hosel fixed, then changing loft has to change face angle. If I keep the face open to the same degree in my set up then I potentially remove the face angle change, though I also counter the loft change as well. Loft and face angle at impact are what really counts though.

Ferrins
27th May 2011, 07:11 AM
If I keep the face open to the same degree in my set up then I potentially remove the face angle change, though I also counter the loft change as well.

I can do all that by adjusting the pressure of my left pinky:)

BrisVegas
27th May 2011, 08:25 AM
errmmm, ok thanks! I'll give B2 a go tomorrow, for shits and giggles.

goonie
27th May 2011, 09:51 AM
Then why do you keeping using an argumentative approach? I did not say you were wrong, but at least explain it (for others benefit) rather than argue it. It doesn't really help referring to an old matrix that Titleist withdrew because, not surprisingly, it confused the punters. With the heel/hosel fixed, then changing loft has to change face angle. If I keep the face open to the same degree in my set up then I potentially remove the face angle change, though I also counter the loft change as well. Loft and face angle at impact are what really counts though.

I'm not being augumentative, it just keeps getting rehashed in different threads, and i'm pretty sure you've posted in some of the others, I put a link to the thread I started on the surefit hosel above that explains how the loft/ face angle changes work.

As for the chart/matrix, titleist didn't pull it, it is the one that is used in the Titleist fitting manual to explain to fitters how it works, i would guess it was never intended to be shown to punters, (I would guess the Reddy Bay Titleist fitting cart has manual that has the chart in it) it appears that Titleist don't want to advertise the fact that the loft is changed by there adjustable hosel.

The only way to change loft with out affecting face angle is to buy a club with more or less physical loft, if you use the angle of the shaft entering the club to change loft (surefit/FCT/bending) it must also change the face angle, it doesn't mean you can see it or it will affect your flight, that all depends on how the club sits, your swing and/or grip. This is why you will see a lot of pro's with higher than expected lofts, like 10.5, because when they open the face (bending or adjustable) to help prevent a hook the loft of the physical club doesn't change but the effective loft, club measured with square face angle, does decrease.

Captain Nemo
27th May 2011, 01:20 PM
:smt102

timah!
27th May 2011, 01:33 PM
I'm with titleist!

Captain Nemo
27th May 2011, 01:40 PM
Well tomorrow, im taking the old faithful 07 Burner TP for a run while i clear my head, again!:smt017

3oneday
27th May 2011, 02:14 PM
Are you blokes really good enough to tell the difference ? Ie, if someone changed the settings and didn't tell you, handed it to you and you hit it, what would happen ?

BrisVegas
27th May 2011, 02:24 PM
Are you blokes really good enough to tell the difference ? Ie, if someone changed the settings and didn't tell you, handed it to you and you hit it, what would happen ?

Of course! :wink:

Captain Nemo
27th May 2011, 02:24 PM
Yep, 3 i would be able to tell without a doubt.
Just been out to the shed to set up my Boomerang putting thingo and b4 that i watched the Titleist Fitting Vid on UTUBE.
I changed to ALL setting combinations (yes it took a while) and stood at address on my Truestrike mat, with my iphone to get pics (this was just for my reference) then found one that fit my eye, irrelevant to what setup im after and thats what im going with tomorrow!!

3oneday
27th May 2011, 02:29 PM
Yep, 3 i would be able to tell without a doubt.
I haven't seen one yet, but you are saying that all of these changes to the hosel are visible at address ? I play two different shafts in my R9(NV75 and NV85), one 1 open and one square. I have found no discernable difference in flight or performance.

I think these are great tools for shaft tinkerers but I think the up down and all around stuff is a wank for the non repeatables amongst us.

morgy
27th May 2011, 02:32 PM
worked well for me last night when I put the shaft graphics upside down...... i'm now forced to play my R9 Neutral Upright for the shaft graphics to be in the right spot