PDA

View Full Version : Letting my handicap lapse... and other options

henno
24th May 2011, 04:35 PM
It's becoming pretty clear that my club membership for 2011/2012 is not going to be renewed as of the end of June. What are the consequences and/or options for me at this time? Should I just let it lapse and pick it up again once I have the funds to join a club again? Should I join some club in the middle of buttf*&k nowhere for as cheap as possible and have them look after it for me?

I'm not exactly playing a lot of golf anyway, so I'm happy to let the handicap go until I get my life back on the rails.

What say you, ozgolf?

sms316
24th May 2011, 04:37 PM
Join Howlong like Eag's did. Handicaps don't lapse on the basis of lack of rounds anymore.

PeteyD
24th May 2011, 04:37 PM
I am interested in this as well, although I have until the end of september. How much is country at Woodford? We could roadtrip there once a month to play :D

Moe Norman
24th May 2011, 04:45 PM
just get one somewhere, as not having one will cost you more in the long run due to increased green fees for social vs open comp play etc

Peter
24th May 2011, 04:51 PM
Option (c) - get a job, renew the membership.

CobraSS
24th May 2011, 04:52 PM
I am interested in this as well, although I have until the end of september. How much is country at Woodford? We could roadtrip there once a month to play :D

We don't have country (long distance) memberships at this stage.

markTHEblake
24th May 2011, 04:57 PM
cut back on brain cell destruction, then you will have plenty if time and money for golf.

we know you. No golf will make for a dull henno.

henno
24th May 2011, 04:57 PM
Option (c) - get a job, renew the membership.

Even if I get a job this afternoon, I have far more important debts to repay before the club membership gets to the top of the list.

Hawkers2008
24th May 2011, 04:58 PM
Search around you shouldn't have to pay much more than $100 to keep a handicap ticking over. There are several clubs around that are happy to just get the margin left after affiliation fees and insurance.

Peter
24th May 2011, 05:00 PM
Sorry to hear that mate.

With all the 'help' you've received in the other thread I thought that would have been sorted by now!

Daves
24th May 2011, 05:10 PM
Some clubs offer a leave of absence option, can't hurt to ask.

Jarro
24th May 2011, 05:18 PM
Go the Howlong option ..... you'll be wanting to play comp golf in the near future for sure 8)

sms316
24th May 2011, 05:23 PM
SMS is right, as usual

:wink:

Nuffie
24th May 2011, 05:46 PM
Go the country membership option Henno. I know where your coming from with the cost factor, as I'm not far off going into my first home.

I'm in a similar stuation and have just discontinued my full membership at a club.

At least you can still play comp maybe once a month.

Social green fees are getting dearer and the courses are not as good as private tracks.

BrisVegas
24th May 2011, 05:59 PM
if it's any consolation henno, you're not alone in considering letting club membership lapse.

Moe Norman
24th May 2011, 06:51 PM
i've been a 'limited' member for 2 years now, which entitles me to 7 games a year at my club, and I haven't reached 7 in either year - so it was a pretty good decision!

oncewasagolfer
24th May 2011, 07:59 PM
I have been a country member at midlands for nearly 3 years and it has been good value. We started with 5 of us car pooling and sharing the travel cost but now are down to 2 and was thinking of pulling the pin. It is so much better than my local course and with the way they treated me they can get stuffed and I will just renew at midlands again. Anyway what I am trying to say is that a country membership is a good option if money is tight, and if there is a few mates you can travel with all the better.

Ferrins
24th May 2011, 08:18 PM
Howlong GC is cheaper than Buttf*&k GC.

PeteyD
24th May 2011, 08:19 PM
but is it as much fun (for henno and yoss?)

sms316
24th May 2011, 08:23 PM
Howlong GC is cheaper than Buttf*&k GC.

but is it as much fun (for henno and yoss?)

In the fair dinkum department, henno is only going to play open comps anyway. Not travel to Bum**** (well, not with anyone other than 19yo's).

Ferrins
24th May 2011, 08:25 PM
Go live in my house in Tassie for 6 months, shag some single mums just out of high school, hit balls off the cliffs into the deep blue and clear your head.

Hux
24th May 2011, 08:25 PM
Henno

If you still want to be a member at the goat track in the future I would suggest you speak with the Sec-Man to see what arrangements can be made.
As per http://www.pacificgolf.com.au/membership-nominations.html they are bringing back a $500 nom fee.

Perhaps merely paying a $5 social membership is enough to hold you on the books as a club member and negate any future nom fee, I would say you would be mad not to ensure that you are not going to lock yourself out of rejoining in the future if they put up the costs.

PeteyD
24th May 2011, 08:26 PM
How much to rent your place in tassie for a couple of years ferret?

sms316
24th May 2011, 08:27 PM
Go live in my house in Tassie for 6 months, shag some single mums just out of high school, hit balls off the cliffs into the deep blue and clear your head.

They never go outside the gene pool mate.

Ferrins
24th May 2011, 08:28 PM
It is and has been sitting empty for 2 years.

Lagerlover
24th May 2011, 08:32 PM
logan village golf $99 aimed solely at retaining agu handicap

markTHEblake
24th May 2011, 08:40 PM
It is and has been sitting empty for 2 years.

so you would take anything for rent then?

sms316
24th May 2011, 08:42 PM
so you would take anything for rent then?

You would want to be paid to live in Tasmania.

PeteyD
24th May 2011, 08:45 PM
The distance from you is certainly appealing :D

sms316
24th May 2011, 08:48 PM
Off you go then.

oncewasagolfer
24th May 2011, 08:54 PM
Never been to tassie:)

henno
24th May 2011, 08:55 PM
Henno

If you still want to be a member at the goat track in the future I would suggest you speak with the Sec-Man to see what arrangements can be made.
As per http://www.pacificgolf.com.au/membership-nominations.html they are bringing back a $500 nom fee.

Perhaps merely paying a $5 social membership is enough to hold you on the books as a club member and negate any future nom fee, I would say you would be mad not to ensure that you are not going to lock yourself out of rejoining in the future if they put up the costs.

I know what you're saying, Hux, but spending $500 on the off chance that I might be avoiding a $1000 nomination (that hasn't existed as long as I've been there) just doesn't make sense. Especially since I don't have $500.

kingslayer33
24th May 2011, 08:55 PM
They never go outside the gene pool mate.

Did you strike out down here Shorn?

Ferrins
24th May 2011, 09:00 PM
I like Tassie, great spot.

Daves
24th May 2011, 09:04 PM
You would want to be paid to live in Tasmania.

We are thinking of passing around the plate, how much are you asking?

Oh and you have to wear that T Shirt at the next Ozgolf event!

golfbound
24th May 2011, 09:11 PM
Think i can get you a membership for $100 just to keep your agu will also give you discounted golf.

TheTrueReview
24th May 2011, 09:47 PM
Join Howlong like Eag's did. Handicaps don't lapse on the basis of lack of rounds anymore.

Go the Howlong option ..... you'll be wanting to play comp golf in the near future for sure 8)

Slightly off topic but does Nudgee GC recognise Howlong country memberships for entry to its comps? I know Nudgee GC doesn't recognise the Robina Mega Memberships.

CobraSS
24th May 2011, 09:57 PM
Slightly off topic but does Nudgee GC recognise Howlong country memberships for entry to its comps? I know Nudgee GC doesn't recognise the Robina Mega Memberships.

My guess is that they do, for the moment, that is, until they start to see a pattern, ie: an influx of Howlong GC country members playing in there comps, and they investigate further, which is, what I, guess happened when they acted the way they did re Robina mega members.

goughy
24th May 2011, 10:12 PM
You'll get to play off 18 at the champs!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

henno
24th May 2011, 10:13 PM
You'll get to play off 18 at the champs!

Which is my current (exact) handicap anyway, and I can't see it moving (in) anywhere before the champs either.

PeteyD
25th May 2011, 10:24 AM
Investigating country memberships, and most clubs require you to be a full paying member elsewhere. I guess this is to stop what is going on.

Jarro
25th May 2011, 10:27 AM

I'm pretty sure they do

Eag's
25th May 2011, 11:10 AM

henno, go with the above suggestions, cheap as shit and you still get to play open comps anywhere all for $97.50 (18 months membership) :) http://www.howlonggolf.com.au/default.htm

Yossarian
25th May 2011, 11:22 AM
Join somewhere cheap interstate that has sweet recips?

markTHEblake
25th May 2011, 12:52 PM

likely Nudgee amd many others only provide concessions to Full Members of other clubs (and that is how it should be)

The fact that Robina is singled out is likely because it is a popular one.

Membership cards always state class of membership, so if you are asked to show it, then you will probably get nicked.

henno
25th May 2011, 01:02 PM
likely Nudgee amd many others only provide concessions to Full Members of other clubs (and that is how it should be)

The fact that Robina is singled out is likely because it is a popular one.

Membership cards always state class of membership, so if you are asked to show it, then you will probably get nicked.

So then get a full membership at a cheapo club. If they start refusing open comp entry from certain clubs, they'd be opening a whole can of worms.

poidda
I'm a member of Howlong as well. Great deal.

It's great to have an AGU and be able to play as much as you like at different course in their open comps. (and that is how it should be)

dc68
Henno

If you still want to be a member at the goat track

:-s

henno
25th May 2011, 01:05 PM
:-s

Hux used to be a member many moons ago, and makes no apologies for rating it as an over-subscribed goat track. I can easily take the criticism, especially considering the amount of shit I sling at clubs around the place.

Bruce
25th May 2011, 01:29 PM

My golflink card shows no membership type and I've never had any other kind of card from my club.

markTHEblake
25th May 2011, 01:38 PM
golf link cards are not membership cards so do not show memberships status.

some clubs issue membership cards only on request, obviously there is a cost associated with that.

squishy
30th May 2011, 12:42 PM
hey henno, im a 1 marker and im in the same boat as you, just cant afford club membership any more ive looked at howlong and many more but when it comes down to it its just a handicap its not really that important.. memberships fee's are starting to get out of control this days

Hawkers2008
30th May 2011, 02:39 PM
hey henno, im a 1 marker and im in the same boat as you, just cant afford club membership any more ive looked at howlong and many more but when it comes down to it its just a handicap its not really that important.. memberships fee's are starting to get out of control this days

But having a handicap somewhere lets you play open comps at a large number of clubs.

BrisVegas
8th June 2011, 01:20 PM
I'm letting my membership go at the end of the month. Now I just have to decide if it's worth paying ($400) to take a leave of absence or just quit altogether. Finding the $400 will be a challenge as it is!

I'll prob join Howlong for the sake of keeping a handicap.

Moe Norman
8th June 2011, 01:31 PM
what, the $400 doesn't allow you to keep your hcp?!

BrisVegas
8th June 2011, 01:42 PM
not sure, waiting on a reply email. I asked that very question yesterday.

Moe Norman
8th June 2011, 01:45 PM
it should at the very least I imagine

MAZA68
8th June 2011, 05:53 PM
I'm letting my membership go at the end of the month. Now I just have to decide if it's worth paying ($400) to take a leave of absence or just quit altogether. Finding the $400 will be a challenge as it is!

I'll prob join Howlong for the sake of keeping a handicap.

Heard at the weekend, Windaroo will hold your handicap for $99. Might be worth a call.

rodders
8th June 2011, 05:54 PM
How much is membership in Qld?

I have to pay $3400 as a restricted member and struggle to get a game this time of year. I always wondered why most subs due July in Melb given the weather.

henno
8th June 2011, 05:55 PM

I have to pay $3400 as a restricted member and struggle to get a game this time of year. I always wondered why most subs due July in Melb given the weather.

Noms and waiting lists aside, you pretty much have the pick of the lot at that price.

BrisVegas
8th June 2011, 07:17 PM

Where are you paying $3400 at?

In Brisbane, I think $700 p.a. is about the bottom tier. Plenty between that and $1300. Brisbane GC is around $2k I think. Indooroopilly is $2600 pa, Brookwater and RQ are both around the $2900 mark. Only those last 4 have significant joining fees.

You can spend more on the Gold Coast, if you wanted...

timah!
8th June 2011, 07:22 PM
$795 at Windaroo with no noms.
I still think they're offering that with 12 midweek rounds at Palmy.

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

rodders
8th June 2011, 07:37 PM
Where are you paying $3400 at?

In Brisbane, I think $700 p.a. is about the bottom tier. Plenty between that and $1300. Brisbane GC is around $2k I think. Indooroopilly is $2600 pa, Brookwater and RQ are both around the $2900 mark. Only those last 4 have significant joining fees.

You can spend more on the Gold Coast, if you wanted...

Spring Valley.

Great course and good bunch of people but hopeless trying to get a hit on weekend. There are a couple of members on here who know how pissed I've been lately.

As a restricted player (although you pay same fees as full member) you dont get access to time sheet for Sat until 3 days after full members get it. By then it is full or only times are the ones that see you finish in the dark (not kidding!)

rodders
8th June 2011, 07:40 PM
I should add that it is winter times that make it worst with limited daylight hours.

Moe Norman
8th June 2011, 08:32 PM
Spring Valley.

Great course and good bunch of people but hopeless trying to get a hit on weekend. There are a couple of members on here who know how pissed I've been lately.

As a restricted player (although you pay same fees as full member) you dont get access to time sheet for Sat until 3 days after full members get it. By then it is full or only times are the ones that see you finish in the dark (not kidding!)

what a rort, how can they justify you paying full fees for a lesser service?

rodders
8th June 2011, 08:50 PM
Basically not much choice unless you get opportunity to join one of the Sandbelt courses Moe.

Never really cared before as I always got to play. Been there 2 years but looking as if another 2 at least before full membership. Unless there is a significant reduction by way of natural attrition, no idea how they can fit them all in. To make matters worst they actively market for more members in my category and offer them significant discounts to join. Feel i'm just keeping the old boys fees down at the moment.

markTHEblake
8th June 2011, 09:13 PM
Those old boys paid for the course though :-)

unfortunately whilst blokes keep paying for the restricted membership, the clubs pricing model is justified.

rodders
8th June 2011, 10:29 PM
Not quite that simple Mark. Let me explain it a little.

The club was sold to me on the instant 7 day access. I was told 2-3 years for full membership - all good.

As I said, up until about 3 months ago, I always had to take the slim pickings for a game which could be 6.30am or 1.30pm. I just wanted to play and compete as I love that part the most so again I didn't mind.

Unfortunately that is no longer the case. The time sheet has been full for weekends now and by the time I get access, you basically go on a waiting list and hope for the best.

To make matters worst is the active campaigning by the club for more members. It is spruiked exactly the same as it was to me. Instant 7 day access.

I recently had a round with a board member and took the opportunity to ask some questions. I told him that 2 of my last 3 rounds had to be abandoned because there was no chance of finishing before dark. One round was with an ex captain and he cracked the shits with our 2h 40 min front nine after our 12.43 spot hit off at 1.25pm because of delays.

I asked the board member whether I could find out what number I am on the way to full membership. He rambled and didn't answer. Response was he couldn't tell me when I would get full membership. I said that was not my question as that could not be determined until people left or fell of the twig. I just wanted to know if I was restricted member 20 or 100. He said to phone the club gm but "they dont like to give that info out at t his time of the year". I think he regretted telling me that but it came out. This is after he told me how all the other clubs are struggling in the area and we are getting more enquiries.

This made me ask a few more questions around the place and take a close look at the "system" for booking each week. No surprise, same blokes, same group every week at the same time.This is not meant to happen but I have been told how it can happen which I wont go into.

End result is that I now compete with many more members in my category for a slot. I'm also somewhat tainted by what full membership will actually offer once achieved in a year or two given the amazing pattern booking that occurs each week.

Its a bit of a whinge I appreciate but the last few months have bought it to light. I've invested a lot in the club but just don't feel the same warm glow for the above reasons. As I say, the course, the good blokes and mostly excellent staff make it a difficult choice.

sms316
9th June 2011, 07:13 AM
This made me ask a few more questions around the place and take a close look at the "system" for booking each week. No surprise, same blokes, same group every week at the same time.This is not meant to happen but I have been told how it can happen which I wont go into.

End result is that I now compete with many more members in my category for a slot. I'm also somewhat tainted by what full membership will actually offer once achieved in a year or two given the amazing pattern booking that occurs each week.

Don't have a drama with permanent bookings while someone is a Board member. If they are former Board members or have no real reason other than being mates with the right people, then well, that's bullshit.

BrisVegas
9th June 2011, 08:57 AM
that sucks balls rodders. I'd be looking at other options as it sounds like your club is way oversubscribed and will stay that way for a long time yet....

Moe Norman
9th June 2011, 09:28 AM
should have joined Woodlands

rodders
9th June 2011, 07:54 PM
should have joined Woodlands

Thought the same thing but I enjoyed the Valley more. Woodlands is a quality course and got a great clubhouse now that's for sure.

rodders
9th June 2011, 07:55 PM
Don't have a drama with permanent bookings while someone is a Board member. If they are former Board members or have no real reason other than being mates with the right people, then well, that's bullshit.

It's a lot more than board members SMS.

BrisVegas
14th June 2011, 08:44 PM
what, the $400 doesn't allow you to keep your hcp?!

you were right. $400p.a. retains the handicap and 'home club' etc.. Can go inactive for 2 years.

henno
15th June 2011, 12:29 AM
you were right. $400p.a. retains the handicap and 'home club' etc.. Can go inactive for 2 years.

I wonder if Pacific has something similar. Either way, I can't see myself playing much golf until 2012; I'll either be playing football or injured due to playing football.

Sydney Hacker
15th June 2011, 05:33 AM
What football are you playing Henno?

3oneday
15th June 2011, 07:38 AM
Not sure I would bother paying $3k+ to not be guaranteed a game.

markTHEblake
15th June 2011, 08:08 AM
i think henno plays mixed touch, as the netball was too rough.

henno
15th June 2011, 10:50 AM
What football are you playing Henno?

American Football (aka gridirion).

dc68
15th June 2011, 01:03 PM
I am pretty sure you an take leave of absence mate. Just see Jo and explain your job situation and I am sure she
can get something done for you.

rodders
18th July 2011, 06:34 PM
Well I seem to have solved my woes with Spring Valley.

I resigned and told them my reasons.

Took a lease for the remainder of the financial year with The National. My wife's family live down that way and saw the 3 courses for the first time on the weekend. Looks amazing and should have no issue getting a hit as they always have a Members only course on offer. All this and $1000 less than the valley!

Bruce
18th July 2011, 07:19 PM
I think you are in for a treat there Rodders. I consider the drive no chore at all to play there.

Yossarian
18th July 2011, 09:32 PM

Took a lease for the remainder of the financial year with The National. My wife's family live down that way and saw the 3 courses for the first time on the weekend. Looks amazing and should have no issue getting a hit as they always have a Members only course on offer. All this and $1000 less than the valley!

After seeing some photos of that course sounds like a good option course looks like heaps of fun!

Courty
18th July 2011, 09:36 PM

I am soooo jealous. I had the opportunity to play a round at the Old course last year. What an amazing piece of land! The drive in is jaw-dropping, and the views are spectacular!

Hawkers2008
18th July 2011, 10:04 PM
as nice as spring valley is given the step up in quality to the national its hard to believe that it costs so much less

IanO
19th July 2011, 02:16 PM
I have managed 3 or 4 rounds at the National and it is a great course. A bloody long way from Williamstown though :mrgreen:

Bruce
19th July 2011, 07:29 PM
I have managed 3 or 4 rounds at the National and it is a great course. A bloody long way from Williamstown though :mrgreen:

80 minutes from my place and totally worth it, once you're on the bridge you can autopilot your way down to the Boneo Rd roundabout.

Firey
26th July 2011, 10:30 AM

You'll blow the extra $1K on fuel over the year.

:)

It's a pity that SV taking the time to talk to you and promptly addressing your biggest issue wasn't enough to keep you there.

Always happy to host you there as a guest though Rodders.

Just for the record (and to declare my position to others). I joined SV last December in the full knowledge of the restricted bookings in that category. Yes it annoys me at times and I have had the odd sook about it. However, I have never missed a game on a day when I wanted one (due to the automated waiting list). I have to wait a few more days to get my name on the sheet for a Saturday but that it is part of being a restricted full member and I will be glad of that restriction on others if I make it to unrestricted.

The main issue this time of the year is the compressed field sizes due to shorter winter days making it a little harder to get a hit. However, I throw my name down on a Sunday as soon as that sheet opens (which no doubt shits the 6-day members) so that I have a definite game locked in for the weekend anyway and then I put myself on the Saturday waitlist ASAP within a desired time range. I have had a game on both Saturday and Sunday for the past 8-9 weeks. I am also happy to play in every board event that I can which guarantees me a game on prime weekend days.