PDA

View Full Version : I'm bored.. and i've got all of this bandwidth...

Fishman Dan
1st July 2005, 10:32 AM
Download Google Earth and go and check out your neighbourhood.

http://desktop.google.com/download/earth/index.html

Freaking amazing.

3oneday
1st July 2005, 10:42 AM
Dan, maybe you should say how large said download might be ???

Mines currently over 4mb and rising.....

Pete

3oneday
1st July 2005, 10:45 AM
10mb :D

Fishman Dan
1st July 2005, 11:07 AM
Sorry Pete, you're correct - 10mb.

I was too busy trying to identify my car parked in my street at home ;)

Jarro
1st July 2005, 11:08 AM
thanks but no thanks

Fishman Dan
1st July 2005, 11:13 AM
thanks but no thanks

Jarro - go grab it, this is the reason you got ISDN. :P

Jarro
1st July 2005, 11:15 AM
i'm stil recovering from my last major download :shock:

Fishman Dan
1st July 2005, 11:33 AM
Gordon GC

33* 45' 55.94" SOUTH
151* 08' 42.08" EAST

I'm at 4000 feet, and it looks bloody awesome :shock:

Just zooming to 1500 feet...

Jarro
1st July 2005, 11:37 AM
i don't think my poor old system can handle it Fish :(

Fishman Dan
1st July 2005, 11:41 AM
Aw man, you can measure distances in metres too! Now to see if the scorcard is lying or not :lol:

3oneday
1st July 2005, 11:58 AM
Dan, how do you get in closer ?? I am thousands of feet in the air, can't see a damn thing.

Pete

Fishman Dan
1st July 2005, 12:12 PM
There are brown'ish areas, and there are green'ish areas. If it's brown, flush it down... no no... :P

The brown areas you can get in to about 2000-3000 feet with some clarity. In navigation bar down the bottom (to the left of the 4-directional arrows), the is a +/- slider. If you zoom in you need to allow for it to catch up and re-render the image.

You get your altitude reading the right-side of the info - "Eye alt".

Gordon GC was just in the well defined area, but most of Sydney's North Shore is not. Most of southern Sydney is done though. Just read the Google website, images could have been taken some time in the last 3 years, but they are constantly updating and adding to the current database of images around the world.

One of the best things is to add a Placemark at a particular location, restart the program and double-click your mark in the 'Places' toolbar. It rotates the globe while zooming in... wicked stuff 8)

3oneday
1st July 2005, 12:13 PM
OK, sorted it out, the pic is at least 9 months old :shock: :shock:

Clearly shows the road works long completed in our area, and the trees we knocked down last year are still in our yard.

Pete

BrisVegas
1st July 2005, 12:24 PM
The pics of my neighbourhood are 1.5 - 2 years old. The Brookwater clubhouse isn't built and there are no houses in my street yet. Still, there are some great pics of the golf course!

Fishman Dan
1st July 2005, 12:27 PM
Yeah some of the pics look dated, but views of Golf Courses are sensational. Can work out your own yardages ;)

Anyone want the GPS co-ordinates to Uncle Stan's house, near Palm Meadows? :lol:

Jarro
1st July 2005, 01:44 PM
bugger, thought i'd try it anyway ... but now it says they are not accepting any downloads at this current point in time :roll:

McMw
1st July 2005, 01:49 PM
my download was pretty quick....less than 5 mins to get it...

it's pretty cool, but not much more...

guess it was a little bit too much to expect "enemy of the state" type shots.... :lol:

Courty
1st July 2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks for your interest in Google Earth, but we're sorry we can't offer you a download right now.

Anyone care to host the installer file somewhere so the rest of us can check it out? Fishy???

Fishman Dan
1st July 2005, 05:54 PM
Is the download really stuffed from Google?

I'll check it out tomorrow and post a link.

;)

Onewood
1st July 2005, 06:12 PM
I think you overloaded it Fish :D

Google Earth downloads temporarily delayed

Thanks for your interest in Google Earth, but we're sorry we can't offer you a download right now. As you know, Google Earth is in beta, and we're still building out our ability to take on new users. We're making good progress, and expect to be able to accept new downloads shortly, so we recommend you check back daily at earth.google.com. We hope to be able to welcome you and other new planet surfers soon.

We appreciate your patience,

The Google Earth Team

Jarro
1st July 2005, 06:53 PM
way to go Fish ... ya tosser :P

Fishman Dan
2nd July 2005, 12:17 AM
As the crow flies, I live 738 km's from my sister in law in New Farm on the Brisbane River.

What's this about download delays? Whatever... 8)

I live 52 metres from a work colleague as the crow flies

To walk to Sharon's in the next street, it's 370 metres up the road, down the lane and around the corner...

The par 4 9th at Gordon measures 375m down the middle....

Davemason
13th July 2005, 06:08 PM
Just got ripped, downloaded the program went to install and it came up with "system doesn't support ....install cancelled"

Any one out there got a bootleg copy of XP

990B Luva
13th July 2005, 06:35 PM
Just got ripped, downloaded the program went to install and it came up with  "system doesn't support ....install cancelled"

Any one out there got a bootleg copy of XP

:x ive been caught :x