PDA

View Full Version : Living the Dream..??

oscar
15th May 2011, 08:57 AM
Ok...So wifey says we need a bigger house. One potential abode we have short listed just happens to back onto a golf course.
Anyone live OOB? Wondering about the pro's and con's?
Pro's:
Get to jump the fence and play a couple of holes whenever you feel like it.
Couple of extra refreshments after play and walk home.

Con's:
Occasional ball in the back yard.
Kids learn to swear like golfers.
Wifey sacks me due to spending all my time at the golf course.

Can any one confirm if living over the fence is all it's cracked up to be?

markTHEblake
15th May 2011, 09:23 AM
pros. you can have more than two beers after golf.

cons. blokes you have not seen for 10 years just randomly walk in from the golf course side.

golfers screaming out abuse from the fairways just after you got married 'stop shagging your missus and get out and play golf'

kpac
15th May 2011, 10:20 AM
Lived nearby a course a few years ago, and it didn't actually get me playing much more than usual :( was good in theory, but unless it's your home course and you're at the right location to get to the pro shop etc. it LOOKS better than its practicality. Still, if i had the choice, i'd take golf course over canal front, but it's just personal preference.

BrisVegas
15th May 2011, 04:13 PM
I enjoyed the outlook for the past 6 years or so. I think City views or Ocean views are more spectacular, but a golf course, especially one with a bit of privacy (ie. not Windaroo etc) is very peaceful.

There are stats somewhere or other that show the capital growth rates are faster on golf frontage property than in normal areas. Don't know if it's BS or not...

Jarro
16th May 2011, 04:22 PM
My mate used to live on the 13th @ Northlakes and said he had nothing but dramas with errant tee shots bombarding his patio area.

His missus was actually hit by one in the middle of the back while she was hanging out their washing one sunday arvo !!

sms316
16th May 2011, 04:27 PM
My mate used to live on the 13th @ Northlakes and said he had nothing but dramas with errant tee shots bombarding his patio area.

His missus was actually hit by one in the middle of the back while she was hanging out their washing one sunday arvo !!

If your mate is a golfer, then wouldn't that just be poor research? If he's not a golfer, then he is just naive.

rubin
16th May 2011, 04:28 PM
My uncle used to live near a course overlooking the second tee. Reckosn the worst thing in the world to wake up hearing the sounds of a driver at 6 - 6.30 am. and then the yells that followed.

Jarro
16th May 2011, 04:32 PM
If your mate is a golfer, then wouldn't that just be poor research? If he's not a golfer, then he is just naive.

My mate was a golfer yes, but do you know the 13th hole ?

You'd have to hit it sideways to hit his property !!

To the golf clubs credit, they agreed to erect a huge net along the back of his place to stop the wayward shots .... but he declined as it would interfere with the beautiful view he had.

PeteyD
16th May 2011, 04:37 PM
Places to the West of the 1st at Windaroo are apparently going cheap :D

MAZA68
16th May 2011, 04:43 PM
Places to the West of the 1st at Windaroo are apparently going cheap :D

Is this got something to do with Timah! joining there?

TheTrueReview
16th May 2011, 04:49 PM
Sounds good in theory but in practice I'd rule out any position overlooking the tee box (for the early morning noise & swear factor) or a house behind the green. A fellow who I played with at Robina Woods recently, knifed one out of a greenside bunker that almost sconed a guy who was sitting on his patio having a cuppa. The ball missed his head by inches & flew into his lounge room.

LarryLong
16th May 2011, 04:52 PM
Kids learn to swear like golfers.

I remember having a conversation to this effect while playing 13th Beach with mates a while back. Imagine how many times you would hear the word **** in a day if you lived beside a fairway with a water hazard?

Twilight putting practice would be pretty awesome though.

timah!
16th May 2011, 04:58 PM
Is this got something to do with Timah! joining there?

Wise-ass. I haven't hit a house on the first for ages!

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

paulyboy
16th May 2011, 05:05 PM
I live on course. I don't have absolute frontage but have about 35 or 40 metres of park between me and the 16th green, 17th tee.
Clubhouse is about 700 metres or so away so a cruisy walk.
The 2nd 18 is quite a few blocks away in the other direction.
It's a fallacy being able to practice putt on course though, at least where I am, they're really tough on that.

Courty
16th May 2011, 05:17 PM
I have only played Windaroo once, but I can clearly remember bouncing my tee shot off not one, but two rooves. :lol:

I love my golf, but I reckon course living is over-rated.

rubin
16th May 2011, 05:22 PM
Sounds good in theory but in practice I'd rule out any position overlooking the tee box (for the early morning noise & swear factor) or a house behind the green. A fellow who I played with at Robina Woods recently, knifed one out of a greenside bunker that almost sconed a guy who was sitting on his patio having a cuppa. The ball missed his head by inches & flew into his lounge room.

play it as it lies? ;)

timah!
16th May 2011, 05:46 PM
I have only played Windaroo once, but I can clearly remember bouncing my tee shot off not one, but two rooves. :lol:

I love my golf, but I reckon course living is over-rated.

18 is better, there are colorbond fences and sheds! Haha

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

MAZA68
16th May 2011, 06:10 PM
18 is better, there are colorbond fences and sheds! Haha

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

Windaroo is good/bad example as a lot of the houses are unprotected from the course, I've seen tee shots and fairway shots rifle into houses there.

Eldrick
16th May 2011, 06:16 PM
my in-laws back onto a suburban course
not to many negatives apart from the odd broken tile or window on the shed which the club has always covered damages
but they have some big trees and a 40 foot wire mesh fence which i guess helps a lot

have stayed at their place for a few months before and often went out for a chip and putt
another bonus is there is always a bag of balls for me when we visit

BrisVegas
16th May 2011, 06:33 PM
The only people I've heard of that cop golf balls in their yards are those that are in pretty stupid spots.

sms316
16th May 2011, 08:00 PM
There used to be a stunner who lived in a house next to the 14th tee at Gold Creek in Canberra, who was well known for nude vacuuming every Saturday morning.