View Full Version : The big WET

Onewood
30th June 2005, 08:03 AM
OK the weekend golf is not looking good in south east QLD :cry:

Logan is under water, I'll see if I can get some pics during the day :roll:

What other courses are out of play :?:

BrisVegas
30th June 2005, 09:09 AM
I picked up a couple of tonnes of free topsoil last night from my up-hill neighbour... :roll:

oh, and rubbish, weeds, rocks, nails, foreign grass species... :evil:

Spent a couple of hours last night with a stiff broom spreading the soil around so my new turf doesn't get suffocated. Had to dig a couple of drainage trenches in a hurry to stop the water from pouring into my garage! What a crappy night.... :(

Flowergirl
30th June 2005, 09:18 AM
Blue skies and sunny down my way :D ( we won't talk about the min. temp. of 4 degrees though)
Keep dry you guys. :D

Fishman Dan
30th June 2005, 09:29 AM
This happened last year - i joined a Sydney club, and downpours closed the course on about the 3rd weekend i joined.

On a serious note, this transcends golf. I've spoken to some of the sales staff in North and Western NSW and they are getting good rain. Places like Mudgee aren't getting a Gold Coast deluge but enough to soak the ground. He said that everyone has breathed the biggest collective sigh of relief.

Lismore is going under, and is expected to be in real trouble by midday. It's amazing to see the river in Lismore, you'd wonder how the place floods because the banks are so high, but with heavy rain she goes under every time! Ocean Shores is also under water. The Gold Coast looks like trouble with warnings NOT TO GO TO WORK!

It's fan-bloody-tastic.

cazandpaul
30th June 2005, 09:52 AM
The road outside our house is now impassable and I've emptied the pool 3 times :shock:

Keza_G
30th June 2005, 09:53 AM
Just called Riverlakes..... They are closed and the course is under water..

anyone know an inside non wet non windy extremely dry driving range..?

I think courses like Bribie and Coolangatta tweed would still be OK but who wants to play in this rain....?

I'll try and get some pics of Riverlakes...

Cheers

Keza

Fishman Dan
30th June 2005, 09:54 AM
The road outside our house is now impassable and I've emptied the pool 3 times :shock:

"and" or "because"?? :lol:

cazandpaul
30th June 2005, 09:57 AM
and :shock:

markTHEblake
30th June 2005, 10:23 AM
this weather should clear by this afternoon the guy on the radio said, and definitely all gone by tomorrow.
he talked about this particular kind of Low happens in the qld winter once every few years or longer. Its the same one that caused the cherry venture wreck.

Emerald Lakes is under water, as well as some of the surrounding road's, however that is a feature by design - a golf course built on a floodplain must remain a flood plain according to the council approvals. Colonial golf club should be a goner as well.

markTHEblake
30th June 2005, 10:29 AM
Just heard on the radio, Carrara (emerald lakes) has had 510mm,, the same amount of rain as the '74 floods.

macleod
30th June 2005, 10:36 AM
40-50ml only at gailes GC, in great nick according to ian, rain bypassed them again...

frank foley on sunday, hcap limit of 18, plenty of times availabel off the 10th after 11.00AM

Fishman Dan
30th June 2005, 11:06 AM
Just heard on the radio,   Carrara (emerald lakes) has had 510mm,,  the same amount of rain as the '74 floods.

You couldn't hear Gretel (thankfully) last night on BB due to the rain on the roof of the shed they film in. It's been constant down here for days with only proper 'rain' today, but it sounds like the golf coast is being hit the hardest.

oz
30th June 2005, 12:49 PM
I hope everybody in the affected regions stays (relatively) dry.

We've had good rain down here over the last 2 weeks, but today, Fri, and the weekend look like just drizzle, mostly.  Certainly not enough to keep this chopper off the course....

miro
30th June 2005, 12:58 PM
It has been chucking it down in Sydney as well. It is also blowing an absolute gale -very unfriendly.

I am in the city and our office building sits at the intersection of two "wind tunnels" -there would be at least 50 blown out umbrellas in the garbage bins outside the office. :shock: People are now walking in the rain with their umbrellas still rolled up. :lol:

Fishman Dan
30th June 2005, 01:23 PM
It has been chucking it down in Sydney as well. It is also blowing an absolute gale -very unfriendly.

I am in the city and our office building sits at the intersection of two "wind tunnels" -there would be at least 50 blown out umbrellas in the garbage bins outside the office. :shock:  People are now walking in the rain with their umbrellas still rolled up. :lol:

Miro - my wife works at Chifley Square (in the QANTAS building) - it's always a wind tunnel there, and you can get blown off your feet on a windy day!

miro
30th June 2005, 01:29 PM
FD,

I am just accross the road at Governor Phillip Tower

Fishman Dan
30th June 2005, 01:35 PM
FD,

I am just accross the road at Governor Phillip Tower

Really? You should say g'day to her - she's the one with the black suit on! :P

[...and the inverted umbrella :lol:]

Fishman Dan
30th June 2005, 02:13 PM
http://www.bom.gov.au/hydro/flood/nsw/

Jarro
30th June 2005, 02:25 PM
Nudgee south is under water as well :(

Onewood
30th June 2005, 06:52 PM

I'd better come down and test the water for ya mate :D

super chlorinate :wink: get rid of anything being washed in...
get your calcium level and cyanuric acid levels checked "rain dilutes both"
to get the water back into balance
PH 7.2 - 7.6
Calcium hardness 200 to 300
Total alkalinity 80 to 120

Back on track :D

Onewood
30th June 2005, 08:28 PM
Kev,
You're such a pool ho.

I like to think of it more as a POOL GURU :D

Eag's
1st July 2005, 07:17 PM
Yep well no golf at Lake Wantima either :(
They had just started on a new tee area for the practise fairway and it was washed away :cry:

Might have to head down the pub instead :wink: :smt030

AndyP
1st July 2005, 09:44 PM
Today's little downpour can't have helped the courses in their recovery.

markTHEblake
1st July 2005, 11:08 PM
and to think i travelled from gold coast to sydney on thursday.....
now i know why there were umbrellas all over the place last night.

btw i walked past all those sydney buildings you lot mentioned today - next time I'll say hello!

Andrew
2nd July 2005, 11:17 AM
How are the worst effected courses recovering?

Onewood
2nd July 2005, 05:29 PM
How are the worst effected courses recovering?

At Logan we had 12 holes out of 27 open today........but by the end of a sunny day, I recon you could have played all :roll: Just a few more hours of sun and we could have been playing a full 18 today :D

Jarro
2nd July 2005, 05:32 PM
Windaroo wasn't too bad today, although ALL the bunkers were GUR :roll: