PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for a beginner!

hhmmkk
11th May 2011, 04:14 PM
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new here, been lurking around reading posts.

I am 18 years of age. Been playing for around 3 months, try to get out once or twice a week.

I've had some lessons a few months back, they helped a bit but as of late i have become more consistent with my slicing/pushing the ball to the right.

My scores have been fluctuating a lot, between 100 and 130.

So I was wondering if anyone had some advice for a beginner such as myself just on the game in general, what are some tools to help me get rid of m slice? How to choose what the right club to use is? etc..

Side Note: Will be heading back to get some more lessons within a few weeks.

Thanks for any replies guys.

henno
11th May 2011, 04:15 PM
The "side note" will probably help you heaps.

kpac
11th May 2011, 05:30 PM
Lessons are a good idea alright, but don't burn all your cash on lessons, hitting the ball can be practiced on the cheap and will make those lessons of far more value.

Ie: the pro will be able to advise you what you're doing wrong with your swing. But the ability to hit the ball consistently out of (somewhere near) the middle of the club is just as important. a) it's a great start b) it's assist you in being able to put your lessons into practice.

Just a thought.

also:
Plenty of Youtube videos about on "swing basics", some good - some ordinary, but gives you something to think about in-between the lessons and practice.

rubin
11th May 2011, 05:36 PM
Best Advice someone gave me (not that its working too well) - Dont get lessons first. Hit the ball and find your own rythm, swing and style.

Then go to a pro for lessons.

hhmmkk
11th May 2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys for your replies.

@ rubin1909 - I think I have figured this out over the past few months, and that's why I think it's time to go to see a pro. To tell me the things I am doing wrong that I cannot see. (At the moment).

@ kpac - I have membership at the local club, which was pretty cheap for the year compared to other clubs so once again I have the resources to be able to practice the techniques without forking out $30 to play a round or $15 to go to the range every time I want to practice. With the youtube videos, i've watched plenty it's just i am not sure which ones are good and which aren't. There are so many different techniques that people use, different grips, different stances etc.

Yossarian
11th May 2011, 06:42 PM
I think a lesson focusing on correct grip, setup, a little on alignment and how to make good impact is the best place. then go chop it up. Then get more lessons.

Or buy shiny blades and focus on hitting as little club as possible :)

Hux
11th May 2011, 09:44 PM
The pro should give you drills to do. Practice them. No need to hit full shots just get the feel and rythmn.

You can get playing lessons where the pro will play a round with you and give you coaching on course management. Course management is really the key to the game. My Dad would always say when I was somewhere in the Boonda looking for a Mickelson recovery shots - "take your licking" In other words - take the safe option, you need to know the percentage shots. Low percentage is fine in a practice round but pointless in a stroke round.
The other thing in a practice round - always play the bad ball. Practice recovering from the bad lie, the embedded bunker shot etc. It is how you learn to recover.
There is some great stuff on UTube and on video that once you have the basics and can understand what they say you can practice but essentially other than someone telling you what you are doing wrong its going to be up to you and your commitment to practice.

Ferrins
11th May 2011, 09:51 PM
Hit down on your irons and sweep everything else.

hhmmkk
11th May 2011, 10:46 PM
So, been looking at some youtube videos came across this guy: CenterOfGravityGolf.

Watched some of his videos and thought that he had some really good tips.

Thought this was probably most useful: Won't know until I go out for a practice though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnopJFvTa3Q

markTHEblake
11th May 2011, 11:05 PM
Sorry to seem harsh but If your scores are getting up to 130 that suggests you are lacking in the basics. Beginner classes in groups are a cost effective way of getting some basics fundamentals sorted.

From there you will have something to build on. Doesnt really matter how you go from there, you got to find what works for you, taking into account, time, money, aptitude and so on.

Yossarian
12th May 2011, 12:35 PM
Well put blakey.

Stutts
13th May 2011, 02:22 PM
My wife and I are both beginners and I'm getting my lessons on the cheap.
She has 10 free weekly 2hr. lessons with Wayne Thomas (?) along with a small group of other ladies (It's a Govt. funded thingy). When she comes home she teaches me what she learned. Not ideal, but it's cheap.

First lesson was "grip, stance, address routine and to ignore any advice you read online" :-)

Pieface
13th May 2011, 03:43 PM
She has 10 free weekly 2hr. lessons with Wayne Thomas (?) along with a small group of other ladies (It's a Govt. funded thingy). When she comes home she teaches me what she learned. Not ideal, but it's cheap.

First lesson was "grip, stance, address routine and to ignore any advice you read online" :-)

PM Golfnut Stutts. he always does what his wife tells him too :p

Stutts
13th May 2011, 06:43 PM
Only when it's pleasurable !

rubin
13th May 2011, 09:28 PM
PM Golfnut Stutts. he always does what his wife tells him too :p

Only when it's pleasurable !

nope GolfNut does it regardless, pleasure or no pleasure.

Golfnut
13th May 2011, 10:09 PM
Oi! My wife told me to tell you two louts to keep it on topic.....so DO IT already!

TourFit
13th May 2011, 10:49 PM
Sorry to seem harsh but If your scores are getting up to 130 that suggests you are... only slightly worse than Golfnut

Fixed...

Yossarian
13th May 2011, 10:51 PM
Ouch. Gn the new don bradman.

Golfnut
13th May 2011, 10:52 PM
Fixed...

You mother ducker....

3oneday
13th May 2011, 10:55 PM
i have become more consistent with my slicing/pushing the ball to the right.

My scores have been fluctuating a lot, between 100 and 130.

don't hit driver again until you break 100 consistently

dc68
14th May 2011, 05:52 AM
Buy flash clubs... If that doesn't work keep buying until it does.

Well that's what I do.

Dotty
14th May 2011, 06:55 AM
If that doesn't work, buy ex-tour clubs. (These are the ones that the manufacturers don't want you to know about.) :)

hhmmkk, the 'Bump and Gouge' strategy worked well for me - keep knocking a 5 iron down the fairway, when you get within range, knock it close to the hole and one putt. (Knocking it close to the hole is easier, as your swing/mind isn't polluted by how to swing a driver/fairway wood.)

As you improve, move up to a 3 iron or fairway wood.

Stutts
14th May 2011, 04:39 PM
She has 10 free weekly 2hr. lessons with Wayne Thomas (?) along with a small group of other ladies

Anyone know anything about this Wayne Thomas bloke (http://waynethomas.com.au/html/s01_home/home.asp?dsb%3D90) ?

MegaWatty
14th May 2011, 10:13 PM
Are you in China, Stutts?