PDA

View Full Version : Not happy at Oxley GC

gazgolf1
5th June 2004, 03:01 PM
Anybody that has had a round of golf with me lately will have heard me have a winge about Oxley GC. :?
Pretty sure I'm going to join somewhere else in the next few months and Nudgee GC looks like the leading contender.

Here is my list of greivances;

1.The sheet night fiasco;

This is where on the last friday of every month if your foursome wants a time on Sat morning for the month ahead you rock up at the club at 6.30pm,get given a number and hope it gets drawn out chook raffle style.Then you get to put your groups name down on the sheet at the time you want to play for the next 4 weeks.For the last 2 months our numbers have taken so long to be drawn out that we have missed out on a time and been relegated to the back of the sheet,after sitting there for an hour mind you.
Being on the back of the sheet means you'll probably still get a game because people drop out and cancel but you wont be playing with your mates that month.

2.The greens;

I may be overreacting here but the greens at Oxley are never good for too long,they always seem to be coming good or turning to crap.
The greenskeeper does'nt seem to have any other options than to core em and he does it pretty frequently.What about a light scarify and a bit of Fertilizer.
I'm no expert but other clubs don't seem to core as frequently.

3.The fees;

$1000 a year,nuff said there are better deals around.
Nudgee is around $650 and they've got 2 18's. :shock:

4.Irrigation;

Oxley has just in the last week or so lost a major hunk of irrigation from Inala treatment works and will be only watering greens and tee boxes starting soon.Fees possibly going up.

I probably sound like a winer but I don't think I'm getting value for money and all I want is a game on Saturday mornings with my mates. :?

Jarro
5th June 2004, 03:19 PM
Come on over Gaz :)

i don't mind Oxley for a hit now and then, but i'm not a member so i can't really comment on whether you're getting value for money or not :?

All i can tell you about Nudgee is that the North Course is in great nick, and the South Course redevelopment is almost finished ... which will mean that a lot of the comps will be shifted from North to South ... giving the North a bit of a break and possibly a chance for the greenkeepers to do some work on it 8)

I don't normally get a chance to have a hit in the Saturday comps, so i can't tell you what to expect .. i'd say that it's a pretty popular day though :?

Come on over mate, be good to have you on board :D

gazgolf1
5th June 2004, 03:36 PM
Gaz

I used to know a few blokes that were members at Nudgee and they always complained about the fiasco of getting names on timesheets for Saturday comps. Not sure if much has changed.

If your up oxley was I'd consider Gailes. Never have any problems when I play there as a visitor, and I occasionally see them advertise membership deals vaiving Entrance Fee.

I give the Gailes track the nod over oxley too.

Don't want to offend the guys from Gailes but I'm not a huge fan of the course,I like to play there ocassionally but I'd get sick of it pretty quick.
Still think Oxley is a far better layout than Gailes.

goughy
5th June 2004, 04:24 PM
Man, that draw system bites it big time. Basically, at city the sheets come out each friday at 6pm for the weekend 2 weeks away. You get there early and line up. Fair system, ifyou put the effort in you get the time you want.

I can't believe they use a lot system and you get a whole months of times based on that.

Did I mention that that system bites.

Onewood
5th June 2004, 04:24 PM
I probably sound like a winer but I don't think I'm getting value for money and all I want is a game on Saturday mornings with my mates. :?

Come over to logan Pal we take all winer's :wink: :D

terryand
5th June 2004, 05:12 PM
Don't worry Gaz your not on your own in looking for a new home :smt010

I'm seriously thinking of a change after getting my yearly subs yesterday :smt011

Its reached a point where,nuff is a nuff :smt093

So Gaz,I'll let you know what I can find out around the traps too.

But Jarro is right Nudgee is looking good :-k

Terry.

BrisVegas
5th June 2004, 10:10 PM
Gaz,

What do you think of Macleod golf course? They've had some good deals on there lately. I thought I read $550 p.a. but can't be certain. That's a lot cheaper than Gailes and the layout is pretty decent. Much more chance of getting a start in there Pennants team too.

Anyone on here a member, or know what the drill for a Saturday comp is like?

P.S. I think Nudgee is a great deal. I was a member there for a while when I lived on the north side, but its too much of a haul from Ippy.

AndyP
5th June 2004, 10:19 PM
Gaz,

What do you think of Macleod golf course? They've had some good deals on there lately. I thought I read $550 p.a. but can't be certain. That's a lot cheaper than Gailes and the layout is pretty decent. Much more chance of getting a start in there Pennants team too.

Don't look at me, I just hold their cup. :wink:

One of these days, I will probably be looking for a Brissie club to become a member at. But not yet.

gazgolf1
6th June 2004, 06:24 AM
Gaz,

Don't look at me, I just hold their cup. :wink:

One of these days, I will probably be looking for a Brissie club to become a member at. But not yet.

Andy,
I think you're holding your own cup :wink:

Briz,
Yeah mate,not that fussed on Macleod either :? I'd rather pay $100 more and get 2 courses.Handy for you though.
The thought of women running a golf club scares me a bit. :x

terryand
6th June 2004, 08:45 AM
A mate of mine joined McLeod and after a year he went back to Wolly park.Reckoned they were nice as pie till you signed up then didn't want to Know you.

Terry.

BrisVegas
6th June 2004, 08:53 AM
A mate of mine joined McLeod and after a year he went back to Wolly park.Reckoned they were nice as pie till you signed up then didn't want to Know you.

Terry.

Ouch! That really sucks. I'll probably stay a gypsie for a bit longer then. I was half-tempted to join MacLeod just because it is cheap.

I was also tempted to join Gailes as it is so close, but I just don't reckon it's worth it. I can play there on a Sunday for $8 anyway and I'd never make a pennants side. I wish I still lived over at Nundah some days... I used to love going to Nudgee after work and hitting pills on the range.

terryand
6th June 2004, 09:04 AM
I also think Gailes will have so problems with the new Goodna bypass road.

I lead to believe it will take out the 1st green and 2nd tee along with a huge chunk of Wollt park.

Terry.

gazgolf1
6th June 2004, 09:09 AM
Where do you live Gaz ?

How about Ipswich ?

Moorooka,
but probably moving a bit closer to town in the next 12 months.

CobraSS
6th June 2004, 09:16 AM
Woodford's not that much further than Nudgee and supercheap. Getting the timesheet for Saturday comp is just a ring the pro shop and get them to write your name down affair. Timesheet out 2 weeks in advance, only the morning field fills up quickly. Usually have 170-190 in the field on Saturday's.

Course is in great nick, we will probably have fairway irrigation sometime in the next year or two (with council treatment water) so the course will be mint year round. The greens are some of the best you will find.

Fees $325/year
Nomination $175 or $75 in DEC,JAN, FEB when our annual membership drive is on.

We have a bunch of members from brisbane, I have even played with someone who drives all the way from Logan to be a member here.

AndyP
6th June 2004, 03:47 PM
Gaz, grab a copy of the latest issue of "The Golfer". They had a few of the Brissie clubs listed in there, with membership deals.
Although it sounds like your mind is made up on Nudgee. 8)

gazgolf1
6th June 2004, 04:19 PM
Gaz, grab a copy of the latest issue of "The Golfer". They had a few of the Brissie clubs listed in there, with membership deals.
Although it sounds like your mind is made up on Nudgee. 8)

thanks Andy, 8) I'll do that this week.

990B Luva
7th June 2004, 11:59 AM
[quote="BrisVegas"]Gaz,

[quote]
yeah sheets come out sat mornings, just put your name down

990B Luva
7th June 2004, 12:02 PM
Gaz,

yeah sheets come out sat mornings, just put your name down

Ferrins
2nd September 2011, 02:03 PM
36 bills to play the comp there today and our tee times were screwed up and we nearly didn't play at all. Brown eyes all round from our group today.

Jarro
2nd September 2011, 02:12 PM
That sux !!

Iain
2nd September 2011, 02:13 PM
Even says on the website it's $25...

BrisVegas
2nd September 2011, 02:15 PM
Isn't there an Oxley committee member on here somewhere? Worth passing on the feedback.

Ferrins
2nd September 2011, 02:18 PM
I enjoyed running to the 1st tee and getting a double.

Daves
2nd September 2011, 04:54 PM
Doesn't surprise me, I was sceptical when Ian_Golf posted this thread;

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/24081-Big-changes-at-Oxley-Golf-Club-Brisbane?highlight=

Progolfgear
2nd September 2011, 05:22 PM
*shrugs*

Move to NW Tasmania, join a properly good 18 hole championship golf course for $600 per year, rock up saturday at 10:00am (or whenever you want) and get a spot on the tee within 15 minutes, everytime, without fail.

just
2nd September 2011, 05:28 PM
The only drawback to that plan is the lack of employment in NW Tasmania, or anywhere in Tasmania for that matter.

Ferrins
2nd September 2011, 05:34 PM
Salmon farming at $17.60 an hour.

sms316
3rd September 2011, 07:46 AM
The only drawback to that plan is the lack of employment in NW Tasmania, or anywhere in Tasmania for that matter.

And the fact that the locals are usually grazing on the fairways.

Progolfgear
3rd September 2011, 03:19 PM
And the fact that the locals are usually grazing on the fairways.

Yup, your right, here is a pic of the Ratho golf club at Bothwell