PDA

View Full Version : The next best thing for Putters:"The Sniper"

markTHEblake
29th June 2005, 09:00 PM
The next best thing in putters might be called the 'Sniper' - a variable face angle being the main feature.

Thats the working title name at the moment, but it probably wont end up being called be called that.  Becuase of all the wars and terrorism, its probably not going to be a good name.   Maybe a name like "Eye" something.  

The putter will have a variable face angle, which will allow the face to be changed from open to square to closed.

Why is this important?

Well human beings have two eyes, and one is dominant, and that creates an optical displacement called "Parallax error".  It means when you stand behind a putt and line it up, then address a ball, this error needs to be compensated for.

The Two Ball putter is one invention that is based on coping with this problem.

When using one of these putters, the golfer will get tested according to some system (whatever) to determine his or her parallax error, and the putter will be adjusted accordingly, by removing the sole plate and basically turning a dial.

markTHEblake
29th June 2005, 09:03 PM
Here is soome clarification of the parallax error from http://www.doctorgolf.homestead.com/links.html

Eye dominance, covered in part one, plays a great role in taking proper aim. Looking from behind the ball to the target is a true sight. The line from ball to target changes when standing aside the ball. This is called parallax vision-the displacement of an object due to an observer's position. You can verify this by lying a club with butt pointing outward in front of a ball. The shaft simulates intended ball flight line. Stand behind and select a distant target you feel the stick is pointing at. A tree or house will do. Now, casually stand aside the shaft and take a look. If you are like most, perception will be that the stick had moved and is now pointing elsewhere.
The "take dead aim" statement of Harvey Penick means overcome parallax vision by focusing your dominant eye for action. Jimmy DeMaret brought this to the attention of me and my father about the same time he probably told it to Penick, for it seemed a revelation. I was a whippersnapper at the time (1947); the year Demaret won the Masters, but Dad never let me forget.

Overcome the phenomenon in this manner. Begin each shot-planning routine, even putt, from behind the ball. Select a reference point immediately in front of the ball (spot aiming) and set-up accordingly. Verify shoulder alignment aside the ball-they determine the path of the arms-by SLOWLY swiveling trailing ear toward ground as you track (never look toward the selected target) the ball-flight path with a closed weak eye (Of course, this is why it is widely recommended that the eyes be above the ball flight line). Once you become accustomed to the practice, both eyes may be open.

AndyP
29th June 2005, 09:09 PM
What's wrong with drawing a line on the ball, pointing it towards your target from behind, then lining the ball line up with the line on the putter?

kwantfm
29th June 2005, 09:12 PM
MTB,

Great post. I suffer quite badly from this... I tend to aim all of my putts to the left.

Cheers,
T

Pinglauncher
29th June 2005, 09:39 PM
MTB,

Great post.  I suffer quite badly from this... I tend to aim all of my putts to the left.

Cheers,
T

I am the opposite. My misses are generally to the right. My perception is out by about 4" when I am over the ball.

I am right eye dominant but the nerve in my right eye is slowly dying due to a fall when I was young. Not a good combination so I resort to a line on the ball and putters like a 2 ball or the Macgregor BG.

Knowing this and committing to a line your eyes do not trust is sometimes very hard to do.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

markTHEblake
29th June 2005, 10:12 PM
thats why Jack Nicklaus putted with an open stance, he is also right eye dominant.

goughy
30th June 2005, 07:13 AM
I play golf right handed, am actually left handed, and am right eye dominant. And I putt like shite. Am I screwed??

kwantfm
30th June 2005, 08:47 AM
Goughy,

Sounds like you should try putting left handed!

T

BrisVegas
30th June 2005, 09:03 AM
Geez, there might be something to this. I guess I've always noticed that a spot that is on line when viewed from behind the ball, always looks too far left when standing over the ball. I must be right eye dominant? For shooting and archery etc. I use my right eye only...

kwantfm
30th June 2005, 09:21 AM
Bris,

Given that you use your right eye for archery would bet that you are right eye dominant.

T

macleod
30th June 2005, 09:56 AM
and yet with the shotty or 30.08 i use either both or my left...but with a 22 or 22 long rifle right eye...must be the scopes ;) or just scared of the kick of the larger bore guns :D

.....but feel right eye dominant mainly as it's my stronger eye in terms of my myopia. left eye is de weak one.....changing glasses has reduced my peripheral vision even more last year so i tend to line up too right of the line i need...so mentally try to adjust and banish the 'illusion' in my head i am aligned too far left when i putt now...

would like to experiment with a lefty putter again as i always felt i could put better than way...was a fluxing lefty when a kid and just became fullbore righty.........but being a tightarse atm need a bullseye so i can use both left and right handed! :lol:

my pre-shot routine i have resurrected in the last week is the target assessment from behind, pick point in front and then lift shaft up using dominant eye along it's length towards the target spot to help tune in th direction if i have selected it ok then settle into address.

of course even though i still use the spot in front when lining up at address i have issues due to peripheral vision....nothing's helkping the awing but i am at least trying my old routine again which counts for somethiing right?....right? cmon...throw me a frickin' bone here....

markTHEblake
30th June 2005, 10:35 AM
It was interesting that me recent putting success (just ask Macleod and Iain how good that was at Jimboomba) is attributed to a new thing i implemented into my routine, which is exactly what was described in the reference I made above about dealing with the parallax error. Except that i didnt do it with one eye.

Verify shoulder alignment aside the ball-they determine the path of the arms-by SLOWLY swiveling trailing ear toward ground as you track (never look toward the selected target) the ball-flight path

BrisVegas
30th June 2005, 10:57 AM
I usually "dress" to the right. Does this effect my putting aim ? Surely must have something to do with it with all the weight displacement to the right. 8)

That could explain your funky swing path...

Pinglauncher
30th June 2005, 11:08 AM
I play golf right handed, am actually left handed, and am right eye dominant.  And I putt like s#$%.  Am I screwed??

Goughy, you are not alone. I write left handed and single handed sports are left handed as well. Sports requiring 2 hands are all right handed ie. golf, cricket etc. Right eye dominance is good but my right eye is the one that is fu!!??ed so not a good combo. My putting sure does suck the big one which a few of you boys can attest to. :lol:

Ah what a great game it is. I wonder if putting left handed with an eye patch or a blindfold would help.

:idea: :idea:

macleod
30th June 2005, 09:39 PM
It was interesting that me recent putting success (just ask Macleod and Iain how good that was at Jimboomba) is attributed to a new thing i implemented into my routine, which is exactly what was described in the reference I made above about dealing with the parallax error. Except that i didnt do it with one eye.

it was scary to watch.....like a pro but with more cursing and facial hair....