PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with golf clubs

Veefore
5th May 2011, 09:25 AM
I just found out that I can probably take my clubs to Bali for little or no extra cost and was wondering whether it was worth it.
What are others experiences with taking clubs on holidays in regards to packing them safely, dragging them around through airports etc.?

I am only going for 10 days and am staying at a resort that has a pitch & putt course that I might take advantage of a few times. I was also thinking about going and having a game at the Nirwana Golf Club as well.

So is it worth it for probably 1 full game of golf or would I be better off just renting supposedly premium clubs for $33?

dc68
5th May 2011, 09:30 AM
Its a pain in the arse and if you are only playing 1 game rent a set.

dean0820
5th May 2011, 09:39 AM
agree with dc68.

3oneday
5th May 2011, 09:44 AM
I can just imagine what "premium" means :)

Courty
5th May 2011, 09:54 AM
I stayed & played at Le Meridian Nirwana in 2003 (awesome course). Back then the hire sets were Callaway & Taylormade, and were certainly what I would call 'Premium' for hire sets. I can't speak for what they are like now though.

http://i.imgur.com/uJRWN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5TcAm.jpg

kingslayer33
5th May 2011, 12:31 PM
Is that a FCB shirt courty? My guess is this was before the orange phase where you would have to get a Dutch national kit.

Courty
5th May 2011, 12:32 PM
Is that a FCB shirt courty? My guess is this was before the orange phase where you would have to get a Dutch national kit.

:lol: Yeah. In my defence, I wasn't planning on golfing so I didn't pack anything more suitable.

TourFit
5th May 2011, 12:43 PM
What...no polo shirts going cheap in Bali???

Veefore
5th May 2011, 02:59 PM
My sister brought me back a "Greg Norman" brand (probably a knock off) that had..

GREG (logo) GOLF

..on the breast. Needless to say I can't wear it out in public without constantly explaining......

Jarro
5th May 2011, 03:06 PM
I'll take some pics at work tomorrow to show you why you should hire a set while you're there

markTHEblake
5th May 2011, 05:12 PM
i have taken my clubs overseas a few times in a $20 nylon carry bag with no protection and had no dramas. that was quite a few years ago though, and having no graphite shafts meant you cared less.

BrisVegas
5th May 2011, 07:20 PM
I'll take some pics at work tomorrow to show you why you should hire a set while you're there

:lol:

rodders
5th May 2011, 08:21 PM
Took my clubs to Nirwana last year - no drama at all. Just had the usual travel bag and all was good. Just double check the dodgy distance readings from the caddies.

Courty
5th May 2011, 08:28 PM
Just double check the dodgy distance readings from the caddies.

Yeah, took me 9 holes to work out they were telling me yards, not metres. No wonder I kept hitting over the back. :roll:

Outcast
5th May 2011, 09:55 PM
Veefore,

I travel with my clubs alot; whilst usually domestic they have still done plenty of miles and never a broken shaft... I make sure I put iron covers on just to stop them clanging around as they get loaded, unloaded, dropped or whatever and I usually put my umbrella in the bag alongside my driver and three wood just to firm it up a little.

I prefer taking my own clubs, even if only for one game as I know what they are like and are to my spec and liking... I use a Titleist standbag and allup weight with a dozen balls, umbrella and wet weather gear is around 12 kg.. My bag is suffering a little though, the mechanism and wire frame for the legs is a little twisted and doesn't work quite so well but, as I said, its done a few miles in the air

TourFit
5th May 2011, 10:47 PM
You should take them with you when your at work...set up a mat in front of the Typhoon...hit some 7 irons and then get the EOD into action.

Clay Pigeon style :mrgreen:

(don't use ProV1's though)

Outcast
6th May 2011, 09:57 AM
I do take them generally, play at Marrarra when I can; suspect Oc Health & Safety might be all over that clay pigeon idea

TourFit
6th May 2011, 10:56 AM
Maybe...the world has gone mad.

Your boys would be the best shots in the Navy though, wouldn't they. And you'd end up hitting a better 7 iron in the long run!