PDA

View Full Version : How much do Tour caddies make?

TheTrueReview
4th May 2011, 05:55 PM
Article here (http://au.pfinance.yahoo.com/moneyandyourlife/money-tips/article/-/9311434/people-you-wont-believe-are-millionaires).

"Steve Williams, Tiger Wood's Caddy

http://l.yimg.com/ea/im_siggqE26lrqwfFrhtSwizgjtzg---x240-q80/img/-/110504/williams_16s1a05-16s1a08.jpg

You would likely recognize the face - if not the name - of Steve Williams, who since 1999 has been the regular caddy of Tiger Woods.

According to the Professional Caddies Association (PCA), professional caddies of high-performing golfers earn a greater stake of the returns.

On top of a base salary around US$1,000 per week, top-notch caddies make 5% of the tournament purse, 7% of a top 10 and 10% for a victory.

In 2006, the year when Woods won both the Open Championship and the PGA Championship, Williams brought home US$1.27 million."

markTHEblake
4th May 2011, 06:06 PM
I heard that many of the golfers are no longer hiring caddies on the traditional 5/10%, but contracting them out for fixed incomes (perhaps with bonuses).
The caddies used to always have to cover their own transport and accomadation costs as well, which they would often pool together, but I guess many now get to travel first class in their bosses jet.

MegaWatty
4th May 2011, 06:07 PM
Current exchange rate, Stevie made $3.43. ;)

LowTee
5th May 2011, 07:44 AM
Mark, i have often wondered if thats the case especially with the top players where it would seem to make more sense to have the caddies on salary plus expenses and a bonus

Veefore
5th May 2011, 08:52 AM
I know that SW hasn't been on the % for a long time. It has been widely reported in the past that Tiger has a different arrangement, though not exactly what it is.

kpac
5th May 2011, 09:18 AM
I know that SW hasn't been on the % for a long time. It has been widely reported in the past that Tiger has a different arrangement, though not exactly what it is.

Tiger was paying him double to keep a lid on the women issues..... Now that's out, i guess he's taken a pay cut.

aimnhit
5th May 2011, 12:07 PM
I pay mine $1500 a week 10% of a win and 8% for anything else.. He pays all his expenses apart from international flights..
I pay him on the high end for the percentages 10 7 5 is about normal
But once you start going into the super stars it's anyones guess what they get.. Most are just on a yearly salary

Captain Nemo
5th May 2011, 12:25 PM
Next Tourney in Sydney, ill come do it for free!

PeteyD
5th May 2011, 12:28 PM
What do you expect from your Caddie? Besides cleaning clubs and raking bunkers?

aimnhit
5th May 2011, 12:43 PM
What do you expect from your Caddie? Besides cleaning clubs and raking bunkers?

It's really a hard question and i get that asked alot.. I think the question really is what makes a good caddy?? Apart from the usual stuff, in my opinion a good caddy is someone who completely understands the game and it's elements.. Wind strength, humidity, altitude, heat or lack of, spin on the ball create from the lie and green reading with grain and speed. All these are very important but I think the most important is reading a person.. You have to be able to read your players demeanor at that time.. Weather to talk or just shut up.. Everything that a caddy says and the way it is delivered is the most important part I think

PeteyD
5th May 2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks! I guess everyone thinks of the obvious stuff without thinking about the rest of what you have there.

sms316
5th May 2011, 12:51 PM
All these are very important but I think the most important is reading a person.. You have to be able to read your players demeanor at that time.. Weather to talk or just shut up..
Going on the one whole week that I have done it, this nails it on the head. Being able to stop a brain fart before it happens and not looking like you are starting an argument is very important. Probably a lot easier when you have a partnership going for more than four days!

Captain Nemo
5th May 2011, 01:05 PM
It's really a hard question and i get that asked alot.. I think the question really is what makes a good caddy?? Apart from the usual stuff, in my opinion a good caddy is someone who completely understands the game and it's elements.. Wind strength, humidity, altitude, heat or lack of, spin on the ball create from the lie and green reading with grain and speed. All these are very important but I think the most important is reading a person.. You have to be able to read your players demeanor at that time.. Weather to talk or just shut up.. Everything that a caddy says and the way it is delivered is the most important part I think

So do i get a start!

u8ergolfer
5th May 2011, 01:24 PM
Tell you one thing, very few Caddies will tell you openly.. It was many, many moons ago I recall, that Fluff Cowan let out the dollar figure amount of his wage from Tiger in a golf mag, and though probably not the sole reason for his dismissal, letting it out was one of the contributing factors..some things in the player caddy-relationship stay fairly private, in many cases this is one of them. Aimnhit has been very generous telling us his situation. He is on the "more than" generous side with that wage as well..

markTHEblake
5th May 2011, 05:38 PM
I pay mine $1500 a week 10% of a win and 8% for anything else..

I'll take it. Do I get annual leave, sick leave, paternity leave, stress leave, Superannuation, training, christmas parties, career path, introductions to the groupies you dont like, get away with pinching loads and loads of logo towels from clubrooms, and get to hang shit on you when you hit a crap shot?

Goldy
5th May 2011, 10:30 PM
Come down to Melbourne and caddy for me Blakey - everyone else I play with hangs shit on me from go to whoa - don't see why you should be the exception.