PDA

View Full Version : Grips

Peter
3rd May 2011, 09:43 PM
I realize that this comes up from time to time, but the answers do change.

What grips have taken your fancy lately? Not worried about cost or looking cool, just want something tacky that won't tear up my soft office hands.

Daves
3rd May 2011, 09:47 PM
I realize that this comes up from time to time, but the answers do change.

What grips have taken your fancy lately? Not worried about cost or looking cool, just want something tacky that won't tear up my soft office hands.

For me Pure Grips are leading the pack. Currently also trying GP Tour Wraps which are somewhat similar. Tacki Mac also make a similar grip.

backintheswing
3rd May 2011, 09:58 PM
I have just started to use the Iomic Diarrow 2.3 cord grips. They are like a ndmc but not as rough. Got them off The Golf Source on US ebay for about $12 each. They come in 4 colours.

henno
3rd May 2011, 10:08 PM
For me Pure Grips are leading the pack.

Me too; love the pure grips.

Yossarian
3rd May 2011, 10:09 PM
Gripmaster leather. Get some real cow on your stick.

paulyboy
3rd May 2011, 10:11 PM
What are those New Decade coloured ones like?

simmsy
3rd May 2011, 11:32 PM
Gripmaster leathers. Don't even need a glove for ur office bound hands. Tacky as.

Daves
4th May 2011, 08:06 AM

Ogilivy's are made from Kanga hide I gather.

Gripmaster leathers. Don't even need a glove for ur office bound hands. Tacky as.

They are on my list to try, but they are very exy. How do they last?

timah!
4th May 2011, 08:29 AM
Daves, there is a site in the UK that sells em pretty cheap. Gamolagolf or something.

They are on my to try list too.

Daves
4th May 2011, 08:33 AM

Daves, there is a site in the UK that sells em pretty cheap. Gamolagolf or something.

They are on my to try list too.

Yep, they are on my watch list. The AUD is starting to make them look affordable.

PeteyD
4th May 2011, 08:52 AM
Pure Grips.

Peter
4th May 2011, 09:21 AM
Sounds like it's Pure or Gripmaster then. Is the installation gun supplied by Pure any good or just a gimmick?

Daves
4th May 2011, 09:29 AM

Sounds like it's Pure or Gripmaster then. Is the installation gun supplied by Pure any good or just a gimmick?

The Pure Gun works fine. Just remember to put a shield over the grip to prevent injury if you pop a grip. A bit of poly tube or similar.

henno
4th May 2011, 09:35 AM
The tool is bloody good, actually.

IanO
4th May 2011, 09:40 AM
I gave my pure grips gun its 1st try last night and removed 9 grips in about 10 min (with my $4 piece of tube over the top)

Going to put on a set of Pure Grips to try.

simmsy
4th May 2011, 09:52 AM
Don't use them in the wet.

Peter
4th May 2011, 10:02 AM
Really dumb question - how do I figure out if I want a .580 core or .600?

Peter
4th May 2011, 10:13 AM
£35 per gripmaster grip for Kangaroo (less VAT plus delivery)? I guess I did say that I wasn't worried about cost...

henno
4th May 2011, 10:21 AM

Why not? Last weekend was my first dry game this year and I've never had trouble with the pure grips in the wet. :?

PeteyD
4th May 2011, 10:30 AM
Pure grips are great in the wet.

Daves
4th May 2011, 10:37 AM
£35 per gripmaster grip for Kangaroo (less VAT plus delivery)? I guess I did say that I wasn't worried about cost...

Gamolas in the UK are the place to get them apparently, about $10 each landed. Not the Kangas, but real leather nevertheless. Either via their Ebay store;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200459676584&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Or their online shop;

http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Gripmaster_Leather_Golf_Grips.html

Daves
4th May 2011, 10:42 AM
Why not? Last weekend was my first dry game this year and I've never had trouble with the pure grips in the wet. :?

Have to agree. Match them with some Footjoy Rain Grip gloves and they are the total Shiz. The thing I like most about them is that they are so easy to maintain. I just give them a light wipe with a damp cloth every now and then and then towel dry them. A light rub with a sanding block once in a while and they will last and work for ages.

timah!
4th May 2011, 11:16 AM
Might have to give the pure's a go then. $99 US with the gun and 13 grips...

henno
4th May 2011, 11:20 AM

I think you can get them a damn sight cheaper than that. We paid about US$2.50 a grip in the group buy.

Daves
4th May 2011, 11:21 AM

I am pretty sure Rockbottom have them for half that price, plus postage of course.

Again, I have plenty but they are all midsize.

timah!
4th May 2011, 11:23 AM
Daves, having tried both, what's your thoughts on these VS the GP tour wrap 2g's?

Daves
4th May 2011, 11:27 AM
Daves, having tried both, what's your thoughts on these VS the GP tour wrap 2g's?

Early days yet in my testing. The GPs feel a bit slipperier, but I can't work out if that is just the gloss finish or reality. They don't actually slip, they just feel like they will. Hoping they wear in. The Tacki Mac versions aren't as glossy, but have yet to install any.

henno
4th May 2011, 11:27 AM
I am pretty sure Rockbottom have them for half that price, plus postage of course.

49 bucks (http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/pure-grips-pro-grip-kit.html)

timah!
4th May 2011, 11:29 AM

Yeah, just looked. Cheers. Looks a good buy.

Daves
4th May 2011, 11:31 AM

There is also now an Australian Distributor for Pure, the guys from Golf National. They indicated they would be competitive, not sure if anyone has tried them yet though?

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/22564-PURE-Grips-Golf-National?highlight=pure+grips

davepuppies
4th May 2011, 12:45 PM
Personally i dont rate the pure grips...... i have used virges a few times and despise them!!!

I love my golf pride tour wrap cord grips, i even rough them up with a serrated steak knife!

Ultimate grip for a fast swing!!!!!

CobraSS
4th May 2011, 01:34 PM

Agreed, in the wet with no glove on, they are slippery as hell, I have taken them off my clubs for this reason.

PeteyD
4th May 2011, 01:37 PM
Weird. Peoples sweat must mix differently into the things or something.

I had some UST grips that I sold to Lucas cos I found them slippery, he loves them.

puregrips
6th May 2011, 12:23 AM
Timah, call Simon or Trevor at Golf National in Australia. He is our Distriutor of PURE Grips in Australia....thanks for all good comments about our product guys..Hope you are all doing well.

markTHEblake
6th May 2011, 09:47 AM
£35 per gripmaster grip for Kangaroo (less VAT plus delivery)? I guess I did say that I wasn't worried about cost...<br />
<br />
when you buy Gripmaster grips from Gamolagolf.co.uk, they also sell them for about $6.50 each landed here. These are the ones branded Caldwell golf, but they are still gripmaster. Possibly the 35pound ones are later models, but I am not sure that they are any better, unless you really like the perforated ones.

another disadvantage of the black Caldwell ones is that the dye appears to come out, so your hands turn black.

just
6th May 2011, 09:52 AM
I've used Pure grips in the wet a fair bit and I don't wear gloves and they have been great.

Yossarian
6th May 2011, 10:05 AM
I used them once in the wet and almost killed a man with a flying club! Maybe my wanker hands are too weak. :(

excelboy
6th May 2011, 10:28 AM
Picked up the midsize Caldwell grips from gamola for 50 pounds + post for 13, having them fitted up as we speak.

Picked them up on the promise of good wet weather play, felt one on the 8i, feels nice - tacky & soft to touch (which may not be to everyone's taste).

moree golfer
6th May 2011, 03:43 PM
I have Pure grips on recently assembled set of irons and I don't use a glove. They are great with sweat and rain (for me).

Pieface
6th May 2011, 06:17 PM
Hasn't the pure grips recipe changed though? Any difference between the first edition that go white and powdery and the lastest iteration?

henno
6th May 2011, 06:30 PM
Hasn't the pure grips recipe changed though? Any difference between the first edition that go white and powdery and the lastest iteration?

I'd be interested in this. Mine are the ones that go powdery, for the record.

Peter
7th May 2011, 10:06 PM
Have decided to give the Gripmaster a try. Now just need to find some of the oversize Kangaroo ones (if they've been released).

Will probably also grab some pure grips for the backup set.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Deziner
8th May 2011, 12:19 PM
Well Geoff says that they will last you longer than your clubs!

Deziner
8th May 2011, 12:21 PM
The Caldwell Grips were made by The Grip Master more than 4 years ago. Caldwell was a little golf company that went bust

Peter
8th May 2011, 12:36 PM
Was wondering why there was a version with a Caldwell logo on them.

Do you use them Deziner?

Daves
21st May 2011, 03:11 PM
Early days yet in my testing. The GPs feel a bit slipperier, but I can't work out if that is just the gloss finish or reality. They don't actually slip, they just feel like they will. Hoping they wear in. The Tacki Mac versions aren't as glossy, but have yet to install any.

Just an update on the GP Tour wraps. These grips are very glossy when new and don't look at all like they will grip well and they feel slippery. But once you sweat them up they go very tacky and the grip quality is very good.

timah!
21st May 2011, 10:06 PM
I'll add them to my wish list as well as some multi compounds.

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

Puji
21st May 2011, 11:40 PM
x2 on the tour wrap 2g.

Great grip. they are very glossy but dont let that fool you. these grips are tacky. Liked them so much after buying some cheap irons with them all, my entire bag is now re-fitted with the tour wrap 2G's. local pro shop did them installed for $7 per grip.