PDA

View Full Version : Club Memberships (Melbourne)

Puji
2nd May 2011, 01:51 PM
Hi all,

It’s GolfLink access renewal time and it got me thinking;

Would I be better off putting that $100 towards a club membership. The GA system is good that it allows me to maintain an official handicap however I struggle to find and enter competitions.

My official GL handicap is 9.2. I don’t have trouble playing close to this, most occasions I score between 33 and 37 points in stableford competition.

I am also a member of TeeOff Australia so I usually play at quality courses in Melbourne/sandbelt/peninsula.

I live in docklands and also work 9-5 in the CBD, so I am looking for a 6 or 7 day membership for the next year.

So far I have looked into sunshine and medway golf clubs. In summer I want to have the option of playing 9 holes after work.

Sunshine has 7 day memberships for $960 for 24 year olds. No joining fee

Medway appears to be about $1700. Not sure on joining fees.

Anyone have any insight/opinions/reccomendations/advice?

I have played sunshine and think that it is an acceptable course. Don’t love or hate it. I haven’t played medway yet.

Please recommend me a club to investigate if you have any ideas.

Thanks all!

Bruce
2nd May 2011, 04:04 PM
Sunshine is having some management difficulties.

Medway is not a great course.

Personally I have a cheap county membership and take advantage of the extraordinary quality of pay for play courses we have here in Melbourne for most of my rounds. Although it can be tough to find open comp rounds to play in.

Puji
2nd May 2011, 04:38 PM
I have heard whispers of these management difficulties. But what I want to know is how that might effect me and my golf. I want to join a club to enter competitions and develop my competitive golf.

I just called sunshine and they have told me that I can pay $317 for the full 7 day internediate membership until the end of august.

I might just go with that - seems a good way to trial the arrangements. And if I get on at least twice every week that's value for money!

Does anyone know of any existing sunshine members?

LarryLong
2nd May 2011, 04:56 PM
I think Hawkers2008 might be a Sunshine member off the top of my head.

Puji
2nd May 2011, 06:40 PM
Cheers, might send him a PM!

Sydney Hacker
2nd May 2011, 06:53 PM
For $317 you haven't got anything to lose really.

It would be the clubs in financial strife still charging big joining fees I would think twice about.

Puji
2nd May 2011, 07:13 PM
Cheers! I'm weighing my options up and I think I will go with that! Hope I can meet some friendly and competitive members!

Hawkers2008
2nd May 2011, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't discourage anyone from joining Sunshine (or for that matter Kooringal).

Here is what I had to say at the other place not that long ago, hope it helps

I wouldn’t say that Sunshine has turned the corner yet, but they might be on their way. I used to be a member but still stay in touch with things.

With no joining fee your risk is pretty low. Kooringal is a stronger club financially (membershoip is actually cheaper but $1500 to join). Kooringal has a course that is less interesting but better groomed. There is no way I would join Medway. As an aside (sadly) all 3 courses feature Phil Ryan signature mounding.

My thoughts on Sunshine are

Whats good

current gm is fantatstic and has done great things
the newer blood on the board
reasonable membership fees and no joining fee
food – bar food is good, bistro fare is really good
mostly a good layout, a few really good holes
playing surfaces – good fairways and greens
practice facilities – good range, okay putting green which you are allowed to chip to
members – friendly folks, long term members deserve much better than they have (mostly) gotten from past managers and boards
Whats not so good

high level of public access – but makes money/subsidises fees (can’t have it both ways)
bunkers – to be fair is being addressed, club has done strategic review and bunkers are being removed or progressively fixed
roughs – but you shouldn’t hit your ball there so no sympathy from me
course layout – couple of weak holes, a lot of sameness in hole orienation (esp par 3s and 5s), very few interesting green complexes
course ambiance – industrial setting, freeway views & noise, occasional smells from water recycling plant
management history – apalling record of inept management and financial waste before current gm got on top of things
finances could/should be stronger
communication with members – seems to be getting better
practice facilities – chipping facilities could be better, no practice bunkers and nowhere for pitching
drainage works are needed – club has made some improvements but much more work to do

Puji
2nd May 2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks for that mate. Really helps!

I'm looking at kooringal as we speak. Looks like a nice course. In a better location than the noisy/smelly/industrial sunshine. You pay for it though with an entrance fee.

Puji
10th May 2011, 12:18 AM
I've continued to look into golf memberships.

My search has taken a new direction. Recently I played rounds at both Southern Golf Club and Keysborough Golf Club.

Was very impressed with the courses, the clubhouse and practice facilities. I have enquired with southern golf club re: membership. There is a discounted entry fee of $825 and a $1500 annual fee for intermediate 7 day playing rights. It is more than I wanted to spend but I beleive Southern to be a top quality course. THe bunkering throughout the course is amazing!

I am playing again this Sunday to intorduce the course to a friend to gather her thoughts.

The other option is Keysborough. THe website seems pretty subtle, however notes that annual subs are $1300 and doesnt mention entrace fees.

I cant choose between the clubs - Southern has superior Bunkers/ course layout/ Pro shop deals/. However the condition of Keysbourough seems to handle weather extremeities.

chappy1970
10th May 2011, 09:32 AM
Puji,
I have been a member of Southern for 14 years and yes it is a great setup (everyone has their own opinion).

Regarding your view on Southern's ability to cope with extreme weather, don't let that be a factor in your decision making. 10 years ago it was one of teh first courses to close after heavy rain and now it is one of the last. They have spent a lot of money on drainage and now the course is in great condition all year round.

r.e the numbers you have stated for joining fee and subs, I can only assume that you are in your late teens or early 20's, as if you are of the age where full subs apply those numbers are significantly higher. And if you do choose Southern, then get in as an intermediate, you will save big $ on the joining fee.

June/July will be an interesting time for Southern and its members as the fallout from recent fee increases, levy's and mandatory comp fess hits home. I have heard rumors of unrest amongst the member base in response to these increase, but at this stage they are only rumors.

As a long time member I can recommend Southern as a club to join.

If you have any queries fee free to PM me.

Chappy

Moe Norman
10th May 2011, 01:59 PM
Puji,

Are you under 40? Suggest you go an checkout Peninsula and Woodlands. No offence to Southern and their members, but it is a vertiable goat track compared to the decent clubs, and some of them are doing good deals for under 40's.

Puji
10th May 2011, 02:43 PM
Chappy: thanks for the info! It's really appreciated! I'm looking to join quite soon, but have been advised to wait until EOFY to see how clubs respond.

I found southern to be a really interesting course and given the fees at the moment I think it's reasonable. I am turning 24 tomorrow as a matter of fact. Unfortunately the entrance fee is the same regardless of age; normally joining is $1100 but if you pay lump sum up front you receive a 25% discount I'm told.

Moe Norman: as above, 24 as of tomorrow. I will I've a look at Woodlands but I would think fees for those courses would be significantly higher than southern/keysborough. I think for my level of golf (9 handicap) these courses will be plenty good to challenge and teach me about the game.

Thanks for the recommendation I will look into woodlands.

Smithy
10th May 2011, 02:56 PM
With the coin you are talking about Peninsula is in your price bracket. The under 30's rates are great. Little bit further to travel than the others but the facilities are superb.

Bruce
10th May 2011, 02:58 PM
Peninsula is probably the pick of the clubs mentioned so far in this thread. 2 really good tracks on offer for the members there.

Puji
10th May 2011, 03:03 PM
Peninsula definitely looks great from the website but it's too far from me. I live in Docklands and that is a 50+km trip one way. I want to join the club with the hope of playing rounds after work and would rather not spend an hour in the car each way.

Wish it was closer.

Bruce
10th May 2011, 03:09 PM
Docklands eh.

Have you considered going out the other side to Sanctuary Lakes. I think you can get a lease membership for about $250/month at the moment.
Probably about 20 mins once you get on the bridge.
Albert Park?

Moe Norman
10th May 2011, 04:16 PM
Try Woodlands then, not sure on their prices but most clubs are reasonable for 24 year olds.

Southern is really bad. Then again, you've been there and liked it - so thats all that matters

chappy1970
10th May 2011, 05:19 PM
Puji,
People have there opinions on Southern, I personally enjoy being a member and the track. Having said that if I had the coin I would certianly look elsewhere.

If those numbers you have been quoted as teh joining fee then that is quite less than what I was lead to believe it was.

Good luck with your decision.

Chappy

Puji
10th May 2011, 05:53 PM
I will definitely have a look into woodlands. I just checked their webpage and the prices are actually reasonable.

for the intermediate ordinary 7 day membership (24 years old) the fees are as follows;

entrance: $2170 (which can be split into 24 monthly installments)
annual: $1,085 (which can also be split into monthly installments)

therefore, for about $180 per month I can have full 7 day membership rights.

Going to try and book in a round ASAP.

Thanks for all the feedback! really do help!

Once I have this information I will be able to make my decision.

hocko
10th May 2011, 10:56 PM
Seeing that you are looking towards the Eastern side. ie. Woodlands, Keysborough, then i would also check out Cranbourne GC.
Great track and fees are pretty reasonable and there are not too many flanelette wearing yobs there either.

kpac
11th May 2011, 10:21 AM
Woodlands is an excellent layout mate, if you liked southern i'd expect you'd be impressed by woodlands.
I've heard it's got a large membership base - not sure if it effects bookings/playing in anyway, but if not the prices of membership are very good!

Mind you, it's worth ringing around some of the decent courses. As a sub 30year old, they're a lot more willing to offer, discounted Nom fees. I was on the search a few years ago, and was surprised with the good response i got from calling to arrange to meet with the club to discuss membership options. They're all pretty keen to get some younger members in the club.

Puji
14th May 2011, 07:41 AM
You guys were spot on.

Called woodlands and spoke to the membership co-ordinator about joining.

while the entrace fee is high compared to the clubs I have been looking at ($2000), the annual subs are only $1000. I did a bit of a cost comparison projection (sorry, cant seperate work and pleasure) sees woodlands being cheaper over 2 years than Southern.

Given the rave reviews of Woodlands here I think that is promising. I am playing Southern tomorrow morning and the membership co-ordinator has said she will get back to me about a tour of woodlands. Only downer is I can only apply to be a 6 day member until I get approve for 7 day. Which is ok i suppose. I do have a TOA membership so there wont be a lack of golf.

Firey
14th May 2011, 09:24 AM
My 2c worth Puji.

If I were at Docklands then I certainly wouldn't be looking out the western side of town for a golf membership.

I know that they are oft-repeated points but:

Don't be in too much of a hurry to make a decision.
Make sure that you play a few courses before deciding. Especially if most of your immediate prior golf has been public access.
Look at each track and ask yourself if you could see yourself playing there week in, week out.
Don't just base the decision on short-term financial reasons

As far as my specific opinion goes:

No disrespect to Southern members but I believe that you can do much better for your golf than Southern.

It is certainly worth your while to have a look at Spring Valley - especially if you are 24.

I am a member of Spring Valley having played there almost monthly as a guest for twelve months before joining as a full member last year. Prior to that I, like Bruce, had a few years of the "cheap country membership lifestyle" before deciding that I was wasting my golfing life. My previous club was Southern where I resigned membership in 2006.

Let me know if you want a hit to have a look at the club/course. We are always happy to host - It's a good excuse to get another hit in on the weekend.

golfbound
14th May 2011, 01:27 PM
Tee off Australia eagle membership includes a AGU Golf Link handicap in your membership.
Maybe you should phone them. Speak with Duncan

I know they are planning of organising some TOA golf days in Melbourne in the near future.

oz1235
14th May 2011, 03:54 PM
Hi Puji, I am only a couple of years older but I my self are looking for a golf membership but which my budget and location it is down to 2 so I am glad that you have got the chance of golf club in your area.

Puji
14th May 2011, 04:14 PM
Firey: Thanks for that. I am definitely listneting to everyones opinions. I have mailed Woodlands and I'm really looking forward to getting on!

I would also love to take you up on the chance to get a round in at spring valley. It has ben highly reccomended to me also.

Ben: I am a TOA Eagle member. and handicapping fees are not included in the price. it is an additional $99 on top of the membership price.

Puji
14th May 2011, 04:16 PM
oz235: the sandbelt courses aren't exactly close to me though. they are 20 - 30km from my house/work. But givent heir quality I think it is worth the travel.

If you live in Pakenham you would be pretty spoilt for choice also?

What is your budget? Maybe we should join a club together and try to bargain our way into some discounts?!

oz1235
14th May 2011, 05:05 PM
oz235: the sandbelt courses aren't exactly close to me though. they are 20 - 30km from my house/work. But givent heir quality I think it is worth the travel.

If you live in Pakenham you would be pretty spoilt for choice also?

What is your budget? Maybe we should join a club together and try to bargain our way into some discounts?!

Hi Puji,

I am looking down my way or into gippsland. It has to be public course thou. I am keeping well out of the Sand Belt areas as due to cost of membership

Thanks for the Offer thou mate

Firey
14th May 2011, 07:09 PM
Hi Puji,

I am looking down my way or into gippsland. It has to be public course thou. I am keeping well out of the Sand Belt areas as due to cost of membership

Thanks for the Offer thou mate
Depends what your budget is Oz.

If you are in Pakenham then you could do a lot worse than look at Lang Lang which is a top little track with a membership closer to $500 than $1000.

I'm in Beaconsfield and I held a membership at Lang Lang for a little while (playing there a couple of times a month).

sms316
14th May 2011, 07:11 PM
Would have thought Firey would recommend Southern?

Firey
14th May 2011, 07:19 PM
Firey: Thanks for that. I am definitely listneting to everyones opinions. I have mailed Woodlands and I'm really looking forward to getting on!

I would also love to take you up on the chance to get a round in at spring valley. It has ben highly reccomended to me also.

Ben: I am a TOA Eagle member. and handicapping fees are not included in the price. it is an additional $99 on top of the membership price.
No worries Puji, just let me know.

Always happy to plug in a guest spot on a Sunday.

You might also want to check out Andigold's thread in the 1st Tee forum.

8-)

Firey
14th May 2011, 07:21 PM
Would have thought Firey would recommend Southern?
For what sms???

The spectacle of the firework chucking guests that travel from interstate just to get pumped in a grudge match?

:lol::lol::lol:

sms316
14th May 2011, 07:25 PM
For what sms???

The spectacle of the firework chucking guests that travel from interstate just to get pumped in a grudge match?

:lol::lol::lol:
I wouldn't know about that. :wink:

Upgraded to a slingshot these days. 8-)

oz1235
14th May 2011, 08:06 PM
Depends what your budget is Oz.

If you are in Pakenham then you could do a lot worse than look at Lang Lang which is a top little track with a membership closer to $500 than $1000.

I'm in Beaconsfield and I held a membership at Lang Lang for a little while (playing there a couple of times a month).

funny you do say that as I considered Lang Lang as I know it is a nice track there.