PDA

View Full Version : What are,or would currently be,your 3 favourite Aus places to play golf?

KL70
1st May 2011, 04:32 PM
If money and travel weren't a restriction, what would currently be your 3 favourite
places in Australia to play golf and please say why for each place listed.

adlo
1st May 2011, 04:41 PM
Barnbougle/Lost Farm

Melbourne Sand Belt

Mornington Peninsula

All self explanatory. Best courses in Australia.

markTHEblake
1st May 2011, 05:06 PM
Alice Springs, best course I have played on, awesome weather, and no trees or rough.

kingslayer33
1st May 2011, 05:38 PM
Barnbougle/Lost Farm

Melbourne Sand Belt

Mornington Peninsula

All self explanatory. Best courses in Australia.

+1. Great minds adlo.

Johnny Canuck
1st May 2011, 05:41 PM
1. Long Reef
2. Kennedy Bay
3. Lost Farm / Barnbougle

Courty
1st May 2011, 05:45 PM
Barnbougle/Lost Farm
Mornington Peninsula
Melbourne Sand Belt

+1.

I put Mornington higher than the sandbelt, but that could be because I've seen a lot more of Mornington than Melbourne.

Scottt
1st May 2011, 07:57 PM
1. Royal Melbourne (West)
2. Barnbougle Dunes
3. New South Wales

sms316
1st May 2011, 08:32 PM
Cootamundra
Nudgee
Nambour

Each of the above reminds me how truly fortunate I am.

Hux
1st May 2011, 10:19 PM
I haven't played enough of the top courses to say but as a golfing destination with public access I think the two stand outs are

1. Mornington Peninsular - greatest density of great courses in Aus probably
2. Barny/Lost Farm - two great links courses side by side in the most spectacular setting.
3. Brisbane - I live here so I can play golf with all of the local deadbeat Ozgolfers regularly.

I did enjoy the 4 sandbelt courses I played this year immensely but they are not readily accessible to the average punter so to be fair they are hard to include.
I look forward to a trip to Perth next year to experience some WA quality Joonalup and Vines and hopefully squeeze in KB etc with teh WAnkers - I would think Perth wins on weather!

Yossarian
1st May 2011, 10:38 PM
Summer can be a bit hot here, especially with no water at KB!

adlo
1st May 2011, 10:49 PM
I look forward to a trip to Perth next year to experience some WA quality Joonalup and Vines and hopefully squeeze in KB etc with teh WAnkers - I would think Perth wins on weather!
Hux, Joondy is a must but I think you will find most WA golfers don't rank The Vines in the best 10 courses in the Perth area.

You might wanna reconsider.

Veefore
2nd May 2011, 10:54 AM
Ellerston (sp?)
Barnbougle Dunes
Hartfield (or if that is booked out Royal Melbourne West) :)

Scottt
2nd May 2011, 11:03 AM
I did enjoy the 4 sandbelt courses I played this year immensely but they are not readily accessible to the average punter so to be fair they are hard to include.

Which ones can't you get on as an interstate resident? Sure, they might be pricey...

Webster
2nd May 2011, 11:15 AM
Most of the sandbelt clubs now have times on Golflink for interstate and overseas visitors. They are a lot more accomodating for guests now than they have been in the past.

http://www.golflink.com.au/teetimes/BookingFindCourse.aspx?comp=0&regionid=28

markTHEblake
2nd May 2011, 11:42 AM
almost everyone is going to say Mornington Peninsula, Sand Belt and Barnbougle dunes. So perhaps think of places outside of these areas, am sure there are some sleepers out there.

Puji
2nd May 2011, 11:49 AM
Apart from the above,

Pacific Dunes Port Stephens
Moonah links legends (on the peninsula but thought I would be specific)
Mount broughton country club.

Have played all recently and have been blown away by the course and the scenery!

Dotty
2nd May 2011, 11:58 AM
Seeing that money is no object, I choose a bulldozer for a golf-cart.
Northbridge
Macarthur Grange
North Ryde

PerryGroves
2nd May 2011, 12:07 PM
My mob have done a couple of trips to Adelaide, usually try and go when there is some cricket on. Adelaide Oval is a great venue. As opposed to Mornington or Barnbougle there is always a bit more certainty on weather and a bit more to do at night. We stay at this place http://www.seawallapartments.com.au/

Adelaide seems to fit the bill for golf, pubs, restaurants and "other". Some magnificent courses, RA, the two at The Grange, Kooyonga and Glenelg. We also went down to The Links at Lady Bay and had dinner at http://starofgreececafe.com.au/. The other place down there is The Victory Hotel, would like to have dinner in the cellar http://www.victoryhotel.com.au/cellar.html.

Veefore
2nd May 2011, 12:19 PM
According to friends who have played there Royal Adelaide and Kooyonga are among the best in Australia. One rated one of them ( I can't remember which) as his favourite course in Oz.

Hux
2nd May 2011, 12:25 PM
Which ones can't you get on as an interstate resident? Sure, they might be pricey...

Average punter = cheap. We paid SFA to play KH, H'dale and VGC but understand they are over $200 normally (?) not that attractive at that price.

Adlo - no choice in playing Vines - its how the organisers have set the rounds up...Wannero for a 4bbb, 3 stroke, Joon and Vines (can't remember which one was 2 rounds).

AlexMc
2nd May 2011, 05:50 PM
I would actually go:

Sydney (NSW, St Micks, Royal Sydney)
Adelaide (RA, Grange, Kooyonga)
Sandbelt (RM, KH, Metro, Vic)

Unlucky to Perth (Vines, Joondalup), Newcastle (Newcastle), Barnbougle/Lost Farm.