PDA

View Full Version : Lost Private Messages

AndyP
28th April 2011, 06:09 AM
With the downtime yesterday, we lost about a weeks worth of private messages (Thurs to yesterday). I could try to get a backup retrieved, but if I did that we would probably lose every PM made since the forum came back up.

If you believe you have sent an important PM during the last week that may not have been read, you may want to send it again.

live4golf
28th April 2011, 06:20 AM
Probably why some golf forums do not bother with PMs....just too hard to manage :)

AndyP
28th April 2011, 06:22 AM
They are a constant headache for us.....

henno
28th April 2011, 07:14 AM
Do you guys not do daily backups of the database? If not, why not? If so, you could have simply restored that table. It's probably a bit late now, as I'm sure there are swags more PMs in that table now, but the lack of backups concerns me (if that's indeed the case).

PeteyD
28th April 2011, 07:50 AM
Do you guys not do daily backups of the database? If not, why not? If so, you could have simply restored that table. It's probably a bit late now, as I'm sure there are swags more PMs in that table now, but the lack of backups concerns me (if that's indeed the case).

You are concerned about losing some earth shattering advice, perhaps a tip from the tipping thread?

henno
28th April 2011, 07:57 AM
You are concerned about losing some earth shattering advice, perhaps a tip from the tipping thread?

I guess old habits die hard. I know what it's like to lose data, and it is a lot of pain that can be avoided rather easily. I am more concerned about how easy it is to schedule a mysqldump to run nightly, but it might be a limitation of the shared hosting environment. And I usually keep a week's worth of nightly backups, and a month's worth of weekly backups, and a year's worth of monthly backups. I am not sure what the size of the database is, but even if it's a few hundred MB, you still only need a few GB to cover it. (I actually rsync my backups to a remote location as well, just in case there is complete disk failure at the datacentre or something of that nature.)

PeteyD
28th April 2011, 08:04 AM
I guess old habits die hard. I know what it's like to lose data, and it is a lot of pain that can be avoided rather easily. I am more concerned about how easy it is to schedule a mysqldump to run nightly, but it might be a limitation of the shared hosting environment. And I usually keep a week's worth of nightly backups, and a month's worth of weekly backups, and a year's worth of monthly backups. I am not sure what the size of the database is, but even if it's a few hundred MB, you still only need a few GB to cover it. (I actually rsync my backups to a remote location as well, just in case there is complete disk failure at the datacentre or something of that nature.)

I do agree with you fwiw.

3oneday
28th April 2011, 08:13 AM
Why backup this dribble ? You blokes need to get out more.

Thanks for the info AP.

markTHEblake
28th April 2011, 12:02 PM
Everything should be backed up regardless. My webhost does daily backups themselves, perhaps even more often.

Its really inexcusable for a shared host to not do at least that.

On that point. Henno. How do you do backups that dont stop the db from responding while its happening? Am talking about mysql here.

mike
28th April 2011, 12:14 PM
More of a concern is the random PM titles that ended up in my inbox.

From memory some of them were;

Re: No shit
Megawatty

Re: Postage to Perth
Outcast

Re: Re: Payment
Shadesy

Re: Andy is a twatt
Goughy

(The last one was a joke.)

sms316
28th April 2011, 12:19 PM
Re: Andy is a twatt
Goughy

(The last one was a joke.)
Sent by someone other than Goughy?

henno
28th April 2011, 12:53 PM
On that point. Henno. How do you do backups that dont stop the db from responding while its happening? Am talking about mysql here.

mysqldump. Although on crappy servers you might run out of allocated memory. In saying that, to get an accurate backup it is best to LOCK tables before backing up anyway. I schedule mine for a time in the early A.M. when traffic is at an absolute minimum.

AndyP
28th April 2011, 02:27 PM
The hosts do backups, but as has been said, there will already be PMs added.

I used to do them automatically each night, but the hack that did it stopped working.

markTHEblake
28th April 2011, 04:31 PM
mysqldump. Although on crappy servers you might run out of allocated memory.
Raises another question, any ideas how I calculate the optimum hardware to run a mysql server, because I am looking to set up a dedicated one. Dell have one but its geared to high end stuff.

In saying that, to get an accurate backup it is best to LOCK tables before backing up anyway. I schedule mine for a time in the early A.M. when traffic is at an absolute minimum.
I do the lock tables already my issue is that a certain application is being monitored all the time, it stops responding when the DB is backing up even though lock tables is enabled. Then i get a phone call from a robot if it does not respond longer than about 15 mins (sometimes). That is not funny if i set the backups to some otherwise appropriate ungodly hour.