PDA

View Full Version : Swingers at Your Club

WeekendHacker
18th April 2011, 10:28 AM
I have a question for the forum in regards to Swingers in competitions at your club (and no not the "Put your keys in this bowl on your way in" swingers)

Does your club allow swingers in 4B comps at all? I am currently building a case for the introduction of swingers at my club and just wanted a bit of an idea from some of the members here.

Daves
18th April 2011, 10:30 AM
I have a question for the forum in regards to Swingers in competitions at your club (and no not the "Put your keys in this bowl on your way in" swingers)

Does your club allow swingers in 4B comps at all? I am currently building a case for the introduction of swingers at my club and just wanted a bit of an idea from some of the members here.

Reddie Bay still did last time I played a 4B. You can only win one prize though. I believe GA put out a memo sometime ago discouraging the practice, but it wasn't compulsory.

3oneday
18th April 2011, 11:05 AM
How do they not allow it ? Maybe I don't follow, but what currently happens when you have a fourball event and there is only 3 in the group ? Doesn't someone swing anyways ?

Goldy
18th April 2011, 11:07 AM
This thread was nothing like what I was expecting.

live4golf
18th April 2011, 11:37 AM
Swingers are used at my club.

damoocow
18th April 2011, 11:45 AM
Swingers always welcome at Keperra

markTHEblake
18th April 2011, 07:10 PM
How do they not allow it ? Maybe I don't follow, but what currently happens when you have a fourball event and there is only 3 in the group ? Doesn't someone swing anyways ?

From recollection the suggestion was for the 3rd person to be partnered with a random other player at the end of the round, or play in their own comp.

henno
18th April 2011, 07:12 PM
Swingers are no longer allowed at my club.

Peter
18th April 2011, 07:14 PM
No swingers, give them a random partner from another group.

Minor_Threat
18th April 2011, 07:53 PM
My old club still has swingers all ways. 6 cards in a group of 4.

My current club doesn't even play 4B :D

3oneday
18th April 2011, 08:04 PM
My old club still has swingers all ways. 6 cards in a group of 4.

I've had that, taxing but fun all the same :)

Banning 4b acknowledges that there are too many cheats or trophy hunters at the club usually. It is a shame that folk do that.

sms316
18th April 2011, 08:25 PM
Don't play fourballs. They are a blight on golf.

As for swingers - 3rd person should play an individual event, rather than be part of the fourball.

Minor_Threat
18th April 2011, 08:32 PM
I've had that, taxing but fun all the same :)

Banning 4b acknowledges that there are too many cheats or trophy hunters at the club usually. It is a shame that folk do that.Groups of 5 are crazy also 10 cards! lol Plenty of chances to win.. Now I think of it, swingers could actually help with the cheats as there is a possibility they need to keep putting out to save the one or both of the other teams they are a part of!

My new club hasn't banned them, they have just never played them!

Hawkers2008
18th April 2011, 10:07 PM
Fox Hills used to do the allways 4 balls. I got the lot one day, won the individual and won a voucher with each one of my partners.

My club plays swingers.

Technically I know it aint right but its a lesser evil than players being cut out of a game.

Hux
18th April 2011, 10:16 PM
Don't play fourballs. They are a blight on golf.

As for swingers - 3rd person should play an individual event, rather than be part of the fourball.

Spoken like a true A grader - ****ing elitists....Pennants are for you lot, 4Balls for humble choppers.

However, not a huge 4ball fan especially with the new rules of not being handicapped at all it seems.

However they are here and not going anywhere. I don't see having a single comp within a 4ball as being viable....you may end up with only 3 up to may be 12 players in the comp. And most clubs require a threshhold # for players before prizes are awarded.

Yossarian
18th April 2011, 10:29 PM
WTF is a swinger?

Hawkers2008
18th April 2011, 10:41 PM
when you have 3 players in a group and its a 4 ball, at some clubs one player (usually the low marker) will play as the partner for both of the other 2 players. That player is referred to as a swinger.

Dotty
18th April 2011, 11:06 PM
99% of the time we play an indiv. comp. and often with a 2BBB or aggregate in parallel. (If a swinger is needed, then the lower marker of the other pair is the swinger.)

I can't see a problem in this. Or is it the fear that three players would falsify cards more readily than four players would?

Sydney Hacker
19th April 2011, 06:19 AM
We are the same Dotty, play them all the time in conjunction with the individual comp of the day.

We also allow swingers, but they can only win the one prize.

WeekendHacker
19th April 2011, 07:33 AM
This is one of those topics I guess where there are a lot of differing opinions on whether or not a swinger is the way to go. I like the idea of matching them with a random partner.

sms316
19th April 2011, 08:44 AM
Spoken like a true A grader - ****ing elitists....Pennants are for you lot, 4Balls for humble choppers.

Fourballs are shit, and pennant has already been cheapened with too many divisions being contested. Anyone can play pennant if they want to these days.