PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Na makes a 16 at the Valero Texas Open

Hamo84
15th April 2011, 07:34 PM
I know how much Kevin Na is loved around here so thought this was worth posting

http://www.pgatour.com/tourreport/?http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2011/04/14/na-handles-making-a-16-well/

:mrgreen:

Lucasto23
15th April 2011, 07:40 PM
That's GOLD

raidrboy
15th April 2011, 08:07 PM
Kevin was having a bit of a chuckle when he finally found the short grass but his caddy didn't look to amused as his pay cheque for the week disappeared.

LarryLong
15th April 2011, 08:19 PM
Brilliant!

I would sack my caddy if I was Kevin Na. Sometimes you've just got to lighten up.

Hamo84
15th April 2011, 08:25 PM
they are showing it now on fox, brilliant stuff

Hamo84
15th April 2011, 08:31 PM
love some of the quotes from the commentary

-Thats so deep in there the deer don't go there

- We are going to need a calculator to work this out

Anyway 12 shots later his on the fairway, this has made my friday night!!!

Daves
15th April 2011, 08:37 PM
There real clincher on this one is he hit his original tee shot into exactly the same place! His caddy convinced him to go back to the tee and hit another one, and he turned around and hit it back to exactly the same spot! Then had his brain fade.

If you watch the fox coverage, you will see that he was being his usually slow pedantic self up to that point. He had pissed Cabrera off big time on the previous hole, he seemed to take at least 1/2 hour to play it, so some would say Karma finally caught up to him on the next hole!

Hamo84
15th April 2011, 08:46 PM
couldnt agree more Daves, between him and Imada they took what seemed like forever to putt out on the 8th.

morgy
15th April 2011, 10:35 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I used to find Kevin Na to come across as an ABSOLUTE dick! But in all seriousness, he handled that like a true pro and demonstrated some great sportsmanship in a tough spot......

I play with blokes off 20 that would have spat the dummy 100 times harder than that....... and they are playing for a ball at best!

Kudos.... but FUNNY stuff.....

I can honestly say this: that is 6 shots worse than my highest ever score! Great TV and FINALLY, someone other than Tiger Woods will get a mention!

TheTrueReview
15th April 2011, 11:04 PM
There real clincher on this one is he hit his original tee shot into exactly the same place! His caddy convinced him to go back to the tee and hit another one, and he turned around and hit it back to exactly the same spot! Then had his brain fade.

The brain fade occurred once he was in the scrub. He lost it (his 'nana) & chopped around like a weekend hacker.

MegaWatty
15th April 2011, 11:07 PM
I'm guessing he should have gone back to the tee again instead of trying the shot that ended up hitting him on the way to 'lost'.

Golfnut
15th April 2011, 11:33 PM
His caddy is a complete twat......but that was some serious kak.

:D

TheNuclearOne
16th April 2011, 06:57 AM
About time the guys showed they are capable of something like this! All their talent, and still such a rare achievement.

Jarro
16th April 2011, 07:02 AM
I thought he handled himself pretty well.
Great to see the pros can still rack up a big number sometimes too ;)

Dotty
16th April 2011, 07:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

dave1
16th April 2011, 10:32 AM
The caddie needed to be more assertive...the caddie should have grabbled the club from his hands and put a hand on his shouder and say "kevin youre not going to play it from here and later on youll thank me"...you might be peeved at me now but later youll thank me.....

I remember reading where the caddie for Jack Niklaus did the same...he grabbed th club from jacks hands...and said mate youre not using that....Im not giving it to you..Jack was fuming..later on Jack thanked him....

the caddie in golf is the coach.....but the coach needs to be assertive

Daves
16th April 2011, 10:34 AM
His caddy is a complete twat......but that was some serious kak.

:D

Why is the caddy a twat? I don't know who he is, or anything about him, but having watched it a couple of times now, I am interested to know why some seem to be venting on the caddy? The only mistake I can lay on him is agreeing to Caddy for Na in the 1st place.

Daves
16th April 2011, 10:51 AM
The brain fade occurred once he was in the scrub. He lost it (his 'nana) & chopped around like a weekend hacker.

Yep, it was a tanty no doubt about it. He has never played that quick in his life before!

bergsey
16th April 2011, 10:57 AM
Why is the caddy a twat? I don't know who he is, or anything about him, but having watched it a couple of times now, I am interested to know why some seem to be venting on the caddy? The only mistake I can lay on him is agreeing to Caddy for Na in the 1st place.

Agreed, having watched it a few times the only thing more the caddy could have done is be more assertive. When walking to the next tee you heard him say to Na "next time i tell you to go back to the tee, you'll be going back to the tee ok". The caddy was talking him out of it the whole way and was ignored. I think the caddy had every right to be p*ssed when Na was laughing coming out of the bushes. Would have been interesting to see if he was laughing if he wasn't mic'd up

Courty
16th April 2011, 12:50 PM
I think Kevin Naga is a distant relation of Solarman's. ;)

goonie
16th April 2011, 02:09 PM
You got to feel for anyone how gets a 16, and even more so for the rest the group and people behind.

Peter
16th April 2011, 02:36 PM
The 16 probably took less time than some of his pars.

Daves
18th April 2011, 11:03 AM
I have the 1st round recorded. I watched Na's little episode again last night, love it!

MegaWatty
18th April 2011, 12:28 PM
The commentators knew good things were ahead when they started mentioning the speed of his play whilst in the bushes.

Did I hear him say "just give me a ball caddy" when he had to drop one in the boonj?

Greeny
18th April 2011, 01:20 PM
The 16 probably took less time than some of his pars.
:lol:

Daves
18th April 2011, 01:28 PM
The commentators knew good things were ahead when they started mentioning the speed of his play whilst in the bushes.

Did I hear him say "just give me a ball caddy" when he had to drop one in the boonj?

Not sure if it was "OK" or "Caddie", "just give me another ball"

MegaWatty
18th April 2011, 01:33 PM
Awesome.

TourFit
18th April 2011, 05:12 PM
"Tears in his shirt..." OMG, how can Kevin afford a new one after missing the cut!

There are noises in the trees...THWACK, ping, (expletive), THWACK, pong, THWACK...

RUBIN...is that you?

bergsey
18th April 2011, 06:42 PM
Also a whiff in there as well !

It was interesting hearing his conversation with the caddy walking down the next, something along the lines of 'i don't know how many i had there..' they started counting and got to 15 i think and then said that they would need to check it on tape. Surely he/his marker would be responsible for keeping a track of how many shots he had?

rubin
18th April 2011, 06:46 PM
"Tears in his shirt..." OMG, how can Kevin afford a new one after missing the cut!

There are noises in the trees...THWACK, ping, (expletive), THWACK, pong, THWACK...

RUBIN...is that you?

I have to say, the worst I've ever gotten on a par 4 (or 5 for that matter) is 9 shots. never shot a 16 on 1 hole.

Funny though, At MCC yesterday, walking down the 10th, Hocko mentiones exactly that, along with the comment "they'll let any old chopper on the little tours"....... I proceeded to shoot 9, thinking the whole time of Hocko's comment.

markTHEblake
18th April 2011, 08:33 PM
Surely he/his marker would be responsible for keeping a track of how many shots he had?

Marker is not responsible for keeping track of how many shots he had, only the player is. The only responsibility the marker has is to write down the score that the player told him he had, and then the marker signs it as a verification that is what the player told him the score was.

TheTrueReview
19th April 2011, 09:05 AM
Marker is not responsible for keeping track of how many shots he had, only the player is. The only responsibility the marker has is to write down the score that the player told him he had, and then the marker signs it as a verification that is what the player told him the score was.

Thanks for clearing that up MTB. I had someone try and tell me recently that a marker is responsible for not only marking the player's score but independently counting the player's shots also.

IanO
19th April 2011, 10:36 AM
If the marker was responsible for counting the players shots, some players I have seen would end up with MUCH higher scores than are written down :smt108

TourFit
19th April 2011, 12:48 PM
I'm imagining a Bubba blog...

"I'm in here where Kevin Na was the other day...WTF? How'd he put it here? Well, for all you choppers out there, who get in kack like this often, Bubba Claus is gonna show you how to get out....using The Wooden Stick."

THWACK.

Walks away and out of the trees in one shot.

UR WELCOME!!!

Nuffie
19th April 2011, 04:50 PM
I haven't seen the footage, but if I was to guess a possible scenario here, it sounds like he was probably told to 'take his medicine' at some stage (or something resembling that) by the caddy - and then whilst going off looking for his ball, he probably took a 'panadol' instead. What a nong...

Imagine that in the headlines... golfer subscribes to wrong medicine during tournament, leads to a high-scoring rate and results in a 'STROKE-ATTACK'!

markTHEblake
19th April 2011, 05:52 PM
I had someone try and tell me recently that a marker is responsible for not only marking the player's score but independently counting the player's shots also.
So much disinformation goes around on the golf course. My Mum tells me the women are worse. Recently I heard the example of the marker saying that as he did not witness the players ball go into the hazard, that the player had to go back to the tee. Wotawanker.

Then there is the usual "you are his marker its up to you" No its not, its up to the player, and the player only.

Rules of Golf: "A marker is not a referee"

Simply put if a marker disagrees with the players score, or application of a ruling, the marker is still required to record on the scorecard what the player said he had, AND sign it.

The marker, any other player, a person watching through binoculars from behind a tree, and my dog all can report any discrepancy to the match committee who will go through the processes.

Of course if there is any question or dispute on the golf course it is practical to discuss within your group what is happening, saves the tears from later on. Obviously if anyone in your group thinks that your procedure is incorrect the player has to consider the consequences of that.

bergsey
19th April 2011, 05:57 PM

I don't think that is entirely the case ref -

Decision 33-7/9;

The responsibility for knowing the Rules lies with all players. In stroke play, the player and his marker have an explicit responsibility for the correctness of the player's score card.

markTHEblake
19th April 2011, 06:23 PM
Bergsey - I dont beleive that contradicts what I have said. It comes down to what is the interpretation of the meaning behind 'correctness of the players card' and when you consider the definition of a marker "he is not a referee" that does not give the marker any right to overule the player in what score was had.

bergsey
19th April 2011, 06:40 PM
Bergsey - I dont beleive that contradicts what I have said. It comes down to what is the interpretation of the meaning behind 'correctness of the players card' and when you consider the definition of a marker "he is not a referee" that does not give the marker any right to overule the player in what score was had.

How can the marker ensure the correctness of the players score card if he didn't count the shots the player took ? what happens if the player says he had a 4 and the marker clearly sees him having 5 shots? doesn't every competitor have a responsibility to the rest of the field for ensuring fellow competitors abide by the rules of golf?

LarryLong
19th April 2011, 08:40 PM
I see Blakey's point there.

I hope that's right, because I'm flat out trying to remember what I had most of the time. I couldn't handle the pressure of having to count the other bloke's shots.

If etiquette dictates that you are supposed to go to your ball and wait, how can you also stand near Kevin Na as he chops his way out of the bush and keep track of his strokes?

markTHEblake
19th April 2011, 08:51 PM
How can the marker ensure the correctness of the players score card
you have not yet defined what correctness means.

if he didn't count the shots the player took ?

So by definition of your statement if the marker does not count the players shots, then the player cannot submit a correct scorecard and thus will be disqualified. That is obviously not the case.

The markers responsibility is to record the score the player said he had. Thats it, once again, refer to the definitions in the rules. "The marker is not a referee"

what happens if the player says he had a 4 and the marker clearly sees him having 5 shots?

Assuming no other evidence to support either view, the score is 4. See definition of a marker - he has no jurisdiction or authority over the player. In any dispute such as this where it comes down to the word of one versus the other, the player is considered the correct one.

doesn't every competitor have a responsibility to the rest of the field for ensuring fellow competitors abide by the rules of golf?

correct, and covered this point already. see above comment where I included 'and my dog'

bergsey
19th April 2011, 11:38 PM
Now now :) ..... Not trying to labour the point, just interested in how the rules can be interpreted in different ways and why they can't make them clearer !!

How would you interpret that statement - "In stroke play, the player and his marker have an explicit responsibility for the correctness of the player's score card" ?

markTHEblake
19th April 2011, 11:48 PM
How would you interpret that statement
easy. What penalty applies to the marker if he unknowingly records the wrong score?

Johnny Canuck
19th April 2011, 11:52 PM
the marker marks the scorecard. he doesn't have to count the score of the player, although it is advisable.

bergsey
19th April 2011, 11:56 PM
nothing.. so why do they bother having a marker at all, and why bother having a marker counter sign the scorecard if they have no responsibility?

Johnny Canuck
19th April 2011, 11:58 PM
no markers, more cheating.

simple.

the marker is there to record the correct score, but it doesn't state that they have to count the players exact score. there are numerous times each round where you wouldn't witness every shot of the person whose card you are marking and you have to take their word as to how many shots they have had.

think of how long it would take to play a round if you had to follow the person whose card you were marking to watch every shot.

Johnny Canuck
19th April 2011, 11:59 PM
no one said the marker doesn't have any responsibility.

bergsey
20th April 2011, 12:02 AM
no markers, more cheating

Agreed. and also agree that you can't watch every shot, that wasn't the point. It was a question of if you knew that a player had more strokes than what they said they had then what is your responsibility as a marker?

Blakey's response was that there was no responsibility on the marker, other than to record the score that the player said they had.

Perhaps the marker questioning the score would scare most people out of making something up?

markTHEblake
20th April 2011, 12:07 AM
It was a question of if you knew that a player had more strokes than what they said they had then what is your responsibility as a marker?

already answered that question long ago. See my comment that included "and my dog" this responsibility that you refer to lies with anybody.

Johnny Canuck
20th April 2011, 12:28 AM
if you knew the golfer had more strokes than you recorded, would you not be an accessory to the cheating and cop a dq as well?

TourFit
20th April 2011, 02:54 PM
I know of someone who plays at a well known Perth course who has played with an out & out cheat!!

Scenario:

The culprit ALWAYS plays with his wife, and they mark each others card. Fair enough. When the guy first played with him the culprit said he was a low marker, then proceeded to chop it around to about an 11 handicap. He took a couple stokes more than that and plays to about 15. When he checked the results on the website the culprit guy was Top 10, and the score looked strange.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, he played with the same guy (and his wife) again. He decided to count the guys score and mark it separately (the wife still had the official markers card). End of the round, they both apologise that they couldn't stay for a drink, and leave. He discreetly followed them, and they went back to the car to drop the clubs off etc. They sat in the front seat for a little while. The score entered on his "official" card that was handed in, (that his wife had...and took to the car), seems to indicate that the culprit wiped off 12 strokes!!!

He reported it to the Captain.

DISGRACEFUL.

rubin
20th April 2011, 03:04 PM
if you knew the golfer had more strokes than you recorded, would you not be an accessory to the cheating and cop a dq as well?

The way I read it, is that you would then mark the card with the score they gave you, BUT at the end of the round you would need to report it to the club captain. My way of reading teh true and correct score etc, is that it is your responsibility to ensure the correct score has been recorded as has been given to you.

I know of someone who plays at a well known Perth course who has played with an out & out cheat!!

Scenario:

The culprit ALWAYS plays with his wife, and they mark each others card. Fair enough. When the guy first played with him the culprit said he was a low marker, then proceeded to chop it around to about an 11 handicap. He took a couple stokes more than that and plays to about 15. When he checked the results on the website the culprit guy was Top 10, and the score looked strange.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, he played with the same guy (and his wife) again. He decided to count the guys score and mark it separately (the wife still had the official markers card). End of the round, they both apologise that they couldn't stay for a drink, and leave. He discreetly followed them, and they went back to the car to drop the clubs off etc. They sat in the front seat for a little while. The score entered on his "official" card that was handed in, (that his wife had...and took to the car), seems to indicate that the culprit wiped off 12 strokes!!!

DISGRACEFUL.

I doubt it would be the same person (it very well may be) but My grandad told me the story of a guy who was ejected from the rocko club for doing something similar. he is now banned for life.

Apparently this guy was rubbish, played of apparently 14 or something liket that, but every week in the sat. comp managed to post some ridiculously good score. He was found out when his regular playing partner got sick and couldnt play for 2 months.

TourFit
20th April 2011, 04:12 PM
Not the same guy...this guy is also a member of ANOTHER club in Qld.

:smt108

markTHEblake
20th April 2011, 08:53 PM

and what was the verdict? because if the player doesn't admit his score is wrong, his score stands. (assuming no other witnesses)

You will often see the WD on the pro golf leaderboards from the same person, and its commonly caused by the player choosing not to contest disputes over scoring. If the card is not handed in they cant be proven a cheat.

henno
21st April 2011, 11:34 AM
http://i.imgur.com/EA0i5.jpg

Marto65
21st April 2011, 10:00 PM
I've taken Big Kev in the fantasy team this week ... he'll be wanting to erase a few memories I reckon ..