PDA

View Full Version : New visual style for Mobile Devices

Courty
11th April 2011, 10:59 AM
Hi all,

In light or the recent problems with Tapatalk/ Forum Runner, I have been researching/ testing a backup plan. Tapatalk seems to be working again ok for now, but I thought I'd implement plan B anyway. It's a combination of a new trimmed-down 'Lightweight' visual style, and a couple of plug-ins to force certain behaviour. What it does is analyze the type of device used to access the site, and if it is recognized as a mobile device, forces the browser to display the forum using the Lightweight style which will perform much faster at lower speeds.

There is some other minor functionality enhancements that happen by default, such as the 'Posted by Mobile Device' notification that appears below any post submitted from, you guessed it, a mobile device. As an example, you will be able to see it below this post as I submitted it from my iPad.

Some less common mobile devices may not be recognised by default, so if it does not work for you, post the model of your device in this thread and I will add it to the list of devices.

You're welcome!

Courty
11th April 2011, 11:02 AM
Please note that this style only works for the forum, not the Portal/ CMS. If you intend to use the mobile style frequently, I suggest you bookmark the link to the main forum page (www.ozgolf.net/forum.php), or even the link to the 'New Posts'.

timah!
11th April 2011, 11:03 AM
Choice bro!

Minor_Threat
11th April 2011, 11:04 AM
Sounds great, ill give it a crack on the iPhone.

Cheers

henno
11th April 2011, 11:05 AM
Nice work, Courty.

Minor_Threat
11th April 2011, 11:06 AM
Test from iPhone4.

Yossarian
11th April 2011, 11:09 AM
Awesome work courty, looks good on the blackberry.

KristianJ
11th April 2011, 11:21 AM
Testing on my Desire. Looks great! :)

ddasey
11th April 2011, 11:24 AM
Brilliant. Cheers Courty

Courty
11th April 2011, 11:27 AM
Here's a couple of screenshots from my iPhone so everyone can see what it looks like:

Main forum page:
http://i.imgur.com/LGhoK.png

Thread view:
http://i.imgur.com/F7f7U.png

Jarro
11th April 2011, 11:29 AM
Nice work Courty :)

mudrat
11th April 2011, 11:50 AM
Mmmmm choices:)

PeteyD
11th April 2011, 11:50 AM
awesome. OzGolf on the phone.

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 12:12 PM
Seems faster than TT.

It seems to be formatted just a little bit wide allowing side to side scrolling.

Looking at it, this may be from the donate buttons stretching out a little wide.

timah!
11th April 2011, 12:14 PM
Looks great in use, definitely faster!

Eldrick
11th April 2011, 12:15 PM
Lovely jubblie

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 12:17 PM
Can you upload pics?

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 12:29 PM
Hey Courty. It shouldn't be too hard to make that into an App as well. ;)

markTHEblake
11th April 2011, 12:57 PM
Nice work AP. The only thing missing is the jump to first unread post button, it would be nice to have that.

Posted from my mobile. Whilst doing a nudgee.

AndyP
11th April 2011, 12:59 PM
Nice work AP. .I'm not stealing Courty's credit (or taking the blame for missing functions). I knew that the style existed, but Courty has done the work to set it up.

jaybam
11th April 2011, 01:12 PM
Do we have a choice to use the old style?

Iain
11th April 2011, 01:16 PM
Just click full version in the top right corner.

timah!
11th April 2011, 02:37 PM
Is there a link to send PM's that I'm missing? There is a button when there is new PM's, just can't see on to send them.

moree golfer
11th April 2011, 03:03 PM
The only thing remaining is what you are going to call it Courty?

Ned
11th April 2011, 03:15 PM
Here's a couple of screenshots from my iPhone so everyone can see what it looks like:

Main forum page:
http://i.imgur.com/LGhoK.png

Thread view:
http://i.imgur.com/F7f7U.png

Mine dont look anything like this!

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 03:17 PM
Nice work AP. The only thing missing is the jump to first unread post button, it would be nice to have that.

Posted from my mobile. Whilst doing a nudgee.

Blakey. By clicking on the main link to the thread, it'll automatically take you to the first unread post.

Johnny Canuck
11th April 2011, 04:31 PM
Awesome work boys.

Jarro
11th April 2011, 04:37 PM

Neither does mine ???

Tapa-mafia member

Yossarian
11th April 2011, 06:03 PM
Posting from the shitter at IGA nice.

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 06:07 PM
Funny shit. Say hi to Nudgee!

Courty
11th April 2011, 06:58 PM

Neither does mine ???

OK, so what device are you using and what does it look like (post a screenshot)?

Ned
11th April 2011, 07:08 PM
OK, so what device are you using and what does it look like (post a screenshot)?

TT on iPhone4

HTF do you do a screen shot of an iPhone screen ?

Eldrick
11th April 2011, 07:09 PM
TT on iPhone4

HTF do you do a screen shot of an iPhone screen ?

Home & power button at the same time

Courty
11th April 2011, 07:10 PM
TT on iPhone4

Numbnuts! Read the OP, this mod is for viewing the forum in a browser (Safari), not Tapatalk!

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 07:12 PM
Numbnuts! Read the OP, this mod is for viewing the forum in a browser (Safari), not Tapatalk!

****ing awesome!

In fact, I need to use one of these...:smt044:smt044:smt044...or three!

Ned
11th April 2011, 07:18 PM

lol!

Steve57
11th April 2011, 07:19 PM
Looks good Courty. Well done!

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 07:19 PM
Is there a link to send PM's that I'm missing? There is a button when there is new PM's, just can't see on to send them.

Scroll right down the bottom of the New PM screen and click Send New Message. It wraps over two lines which is a little confusing.

It doesn't have auto-predition on the user name though so you have to be spot on.

Alternatively, you can click on a members name and then choose Send Message.

Ned
11th April 2011, 07:20 PM
Hi all,

In light or the recent problems with Tapatalk/ Forum Runner, I have been researching/ testing a backup plan. Tapatalk seems to be working again ok for now, but I thought I'd implement plan B anyway. It's a combination of a new trimmed-down 'Lightweight' visual style, and a couple of plug-ins to force certain behaviour. What it does is analyze the type of device used to access the site, and if it is recognized as a mobile device, forces the browser to display the forum using the Lightweight style which will perform much faster at lower speeds.

There is some other minor functionality enhancements that happen by default, such as the 'Posted by Mobile Device' notification that appears below any post submitted from, you guessed it, a mobile device. As an example, you will be able to see it below this post as I submitted it from my iPad.

Some less common mobile devices may not be recognised by default, so if it does not work for you, post the model of your device in this thread and I will add it to the list of devices.

You're welcome!

Numbnuts speaking, where exactly does it say to use a browser ?

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 07:24 PM
So Courty, are you able to reduce the width that smidgen to stop the horizontal scroll? I know it's minor, but I thought I'd ask anyway. ;)

ddasey
11th April 2011, 07:27 PM

:smt005

I think that calls for a change of username. NK to numbnuts.

I'm sure a mod could arrange this :mrgreen:

Courty
11th April 2011, 07:29 PM
In light of the recent problems with Tapatalk/ Forum Runner, I have been researching/ testing a backup plan. Tapatalk seems to be working again ok for now, but I thought I'd implement plan B anyway. It's a combination of a new trimmed-down 'Lightweight' visual style, and a couple of plug-ins to force certain behaviour. What it does is analyze the type of device used to access the site, and if it is recognized as a mobile device, forces the browser to display the forum using the Lightweight style which will perform much faster at lower speeds.

:roll:

;)

AndyP
11th April 2011, 07:30 PM
It doesn't need to.

Ned
11th April 2011, 07:33 PM
It doesn't need to.

:mrgreen:

Ned
11th April 2011, 07:34 PM
:roll:

;)

mmmmmm............................ok so whats TT/FR then, obvioulsy not a browser!

Courty
11th April 2011, 07:35 PM
mmmmmm............................ok so whats TT/FR then, obvioulsy not a browser!

I'm not quite sure exactly how you'd define TT & Forum Runner. They're applications that can display forum content only, whereas browsers access all sites.

Courty
11th April 2011, 07:48 PM
So Courty, are you able to reduce the width that smidgen to stop the horizontal scroll? I know it's minor, but I thought I'd ask anyway. ;)

Sorry MW, I missed this one amongst all the frivolity earlier. Are you viewing it on an iPhone?

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 07:50 PM
Yup. You can scroll vertically because of the donate buttons hanging over the side. I think.

Courty
11th April 2011, 07:51 PM
Yup. You can scroll vertically because of the donate buttons hanging over the side. I think.

Oh I see now. You mean horizontally. ;)

Yeah, I'll see what I can do. Won't be tonight though, I've clocked off for the day. 8)

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 07:53 PM
Oh shit. I feel like NK! Horizontal. Yes. :)

Ned
11th April 2011, 08:05 PM
Oh shit. I feel like NK! Horizontal. Yes. :)

Oi, take a number MW!

AndyP
11th April 2011, 08:09 PM
Is the horizontal scroll a bad thing?

I'll be getting rid of those donation buttons at some stage. The donation hack installed is cleaner.

Tapatalk is never gonna give you up, Tapatalk is never gonna let you down.

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 08:12 PM
It's not necessary and just a tad annoying.

Courty
11th April 2011, 08:20 PM
It's not necessary and just a tad annoying.

I hadn't even noticed until you mentioned it.

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 08:28 PM
First thing I noticed.

AndyP
11th April 2011, 08:41 PM
I'm clicking on Full Version and Default Style, but I can't get off this style. Anyone else having the same problem?

MegaWatty, shouldn't you be using Tapatalk?

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 08:43 PM
As I said earlier, this is a lot faster. It's a very good adaption.

AndyP shouldn't this have been done before we had to look elsewhere?

markTHEblake
11th April 2011, 08:43 PM

Post # 1

AndyP
11th April 2011, 08:45 PM
Probably, MW. I had it pencilled in to look at, but Tapatalk got installed and everyone got attached to it.

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 08:48 PM
I still like you despite your super sarcastic Internet personality. ;)

Courty
11th April 2011, 08:55 PM
I'm clicking on Full Version and Default Style, but I can't get off this style. Anyone else having the same problem?

You won't be able to whilst on your mobile device. Those buttons are there in in case it goes to Lightweight whilst on your computer.

MegaWatty
Sooper Dooper fast on the iPad!

Woot woot!

AndyP
Internet personality?

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 08:56 PM
Internet personality?

Yeah. Guys say you are less sarcastic and more of an arsehole in real life. ;)

Don't let go of TT AP. Be strong!

AndyP
11th April 2011, 09:03 PM
You won't be able to whilst on your mobile device. Those buttons are there in in case it goes to Lightweight whilst on your computer.So how would an administrator administrate on a mobile device?

Paypal buttons are gone, MW.

Courty
11th April 2011, 09:05 PM
So how would an administrator administrate on a mobile device?

Via Tapatalk. ;)

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 09:07 PM
So how would an administrator administrate on a mobile device?

Paypal buttons are gone, MW.

Perfect! I'll try and find a few more things now. :)

AndyP
11th April 2011, 09:16 PM
Via Tapatalk. ;)I can't get to the admin panel unless I have the direct link, I assume.

Courty
11th April 2011, 09:18 PM
I can't get to the admin panel unless I have the direct link, I assume.

Not sure, try it.

AndyP
11th April 2011, 09:19 PM
The Mobile Style by Dartho link going to the Western Force Website is weird.

henno
11th April 2011, 09:25 PM
So much PEBCAK in this thread.

Yossarian
11th April 2011, 10:05 PM
Can we switch severs now?

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 10:07 PM
We have already.

Yossarian
11th April 2011, 10:08 PM
Really?

MegaWatty
11th April 2011, 10:09 PM
No.

timah!
11th April 2011, 10:46 PM
Me still likee muchee!

I supergoaled Tapatalk.

shazza_rs
12th April 2011, 06:57 AM
Good job courty. I like it!

Captain Nemo
12th April 2011, 07:53 AM
Courty thumbs up from me!:smt023

goonie
12th April 2011, 09:36 AM

Seems to fixed now.

MegaWatty
12th April 2011, 09:47 AM
Yup. Andy removed the Paypal buttons to fix it.

It's running beautifully!

PeteyD
12th April 2011, 10:01 AM
So much PEBCAK in this thread.

The C and K are kinda redundant. Should be updated to PEBPARS ...

Or just use the ID-10-T definition.

henno
12th April 2011, 10:30 AM
The C and K are kinda redundant.

Especially since I had them the wrong way around. PEBKAC!

ID-10-T covers all.

AndyP
12th April 2011, 10:44 AM
Yup. Andy removed the Paypal buttons to fix it. Don't tell him that. I like the illusion he has of me doing nothing.

MegaWatty
12th April 2011, 10:47 AM
Oh. Yeah, I removed the Paypal buttons because LazyP couldn't be stuffed.

Yossarian
12th April 2011, 10:55 AM
Don't tell him that. I like the illusion he has of me doing nothing.

:lol:

Cyber hi five?

goonie
12th April 2011, 06:52 PM
Great work Courty, I have been using this for the last few days and it rocks, you have made Tapatalk and Fourm Runner obsolete as this is faster than both, it even works OK in GSM areas. And I can still use the full version on my phone if needed.

Ned
12th April 2011, 10:00 PM
With thanks from Numnuts!8-)

AndyP
12th April 2011, 10:03 PM
Case closed.

Dazza
13th April 2011, 09:31 PM
This is schweet. Thanks to all involved.

AndyP
15th April 2011, 07:24 AM
When you click "full version" or "default style", what happens for you?
It remains at the same style for me.

shazza_rs
15th April 2011, 07:29 AM
Ditto for me.... full version same as light version :)

Dazza
15th April 2011, 07:35 AM
Same here ap. No change

AndyP
15th April 2011, 07:45 AM
That's what I'd expect, but comments elsewhere had me thinking I was the only one.

I could probably fix it to go to lights off, add a "New Posts" link down the bottom like the normal style and maybe even add an admin link for myself.

MegaWatty
15th April 2011, 07:53 AM
Will there be a choice of lights on and off if you do that? I think it looks great as is.

The only issue I can really see is the size of pics in the threads. Otherwise, it seems to be just dandy, Andy.

AndyP
15th April 2011, 08:04 AM
Will there be a choice of lights on and off if you do that? I think it looks great as is. No. This is a completely separate style to the Lights On and Off. We could tinker with colours ourselves, but there's no need to do that.

The only issue I can really see is the size of pics in the threads. I can't see how it's fixable without affecting the image sizes on the full view styles, but we'll have a look.

AndyP
15th April 2011, 08:15 AM
I could probably fix it to go to lights off, I've changed my mind. I've removed the link to "Full Version" altogether, since it doesn't work from a mobile and the option was there.

MegaWatty
15th April 2011, 08:25 AM
Oh. I thought you meant you were going to change te entire thing to go lights off. You meant to use the button as a switch. Good choice leaving it as is.

Is there a way to put picture links in?

AndyP
15th April 2011, 08:36 AM
Is there a way to put picture links in?
I've just had a quick look. Images can be resized to suit for the mobile style, or the images can be converted to links, although I'm it isn't clear whether this would affect all styles or just the mobile style.

goonie
15th April 2011, 11:42 AM
I can use the full version on my phone, I just change my browser to desktop view and it acts like a PC and doesn't load mobile versions of sites.

Courty
15th April 2011, 08:23 PM
I think I've already mentioned this, but the full version button is there in case a desktop machine somehow gets onto the lightweight style. 'Most' mobiles should be forced onto the lightweight style and not be able to go to the full version. At least that's the intention.

AndyP
15th April 2011, 08:31 PM
Should it be forced? For those with an iPad, maybe not??

MegaWatty
15th April 2011, 08:35 PM
I like the mobile version on iPad. The standard style makes the browser page bounce up and down whilst it's loading.

But a choice is never a bad thing.

Now Courty. This is your baby. Give us a pic link button so we can post a pic into a post. Please.

Courty
18th April 2011, 10:14 PM
I've just modified the code to automatically resize posted images to a maximum width of 250 pixels (perfect width for iPhone).

Courty
18th April 2011, 10:15 PM
Now Courty. This is your baby. Give us a pic link button so we can post a pic into a post. Please.

You're a smart guy, MW. Surely you can work out how to use the Image tags. ;)

MegaWatty
18th April 2011, 11:04 PM
I've just modified the code to automatically resize posted images to a maximum width of 250 pixels (perfect width for iPhone).

Legend.

MegaWatty
18th April 2011, 11:05 PM
You're a smart guy, MW. Surely you can work out how to use the Image tags. ;)

Lazy.

henno
19th April 2011, 08:42 AM
'Most' mobiles should be forced onto the lightweight style and not be able to go to the full version.

Should it be forced?

Nothing should ever be forced. Make it the default, sure, but always allow an option to revert to the original style "just in case".

goughy
19th April 2011, 09:53 AM
Pretty sure I couldn't switch from the mobile style.

goonie
20th April 2011, 09:47 AM
Nothing should ever be forced. Make it the default, sure, but always allow an option to revert to the original style "just in case".

If you have an android phone a lot of browsers have a desktop mode that gets around this. My updated std browser does.

henno
20th April 2011, 10:10 AM
If you have an android phone a lot of browsers have a desktop mode that gets around this. My updated std browser does.

Well, you can always spoof the UserAgent to whatever you like. I'm merely referring to what should be good practice, not something that's actually hindering me in any way.

AndyP
20th April 2011, 10:14 AM
It works for goonie. No more needs to be done.

goonie
20th April 2011, 12:29 PM

Did you up on the wrong side of the bed again? Does this happen a lot?

goonie
20th April 2011, 12:30 PM
Well, you can always spoof the UserAgent to whatever you like. I'm merely referring to what should be good practice, not something that's actually hindering me in any way.

I know what you meant, just offering a suggestion.

Iain
20th April 2011, 12:49 PM

:lol:

Courty
20th April 2011, 01:29 PM

Let me get this straight... you're complaining about the functionality of a feature that you never had until now? :p

henno
20th April 2011, 01:31 PM
Let me get this straight... you're complaining about the functionality of a feature that you never had until now? :p

I honestly don't even use the feature, as awesome as it is. I'm just talking out of my arse as a has-been web developer come UI accessibility/usability nazi.

aimnhit
20th April 2011, 01:41 PM
Question gurus?? When I'm typing on moblie I can't scroll up and down in this box I write in.. It's fine when your just using a paragragh or so but anymore then that I can't back to the start of of the box. The only way is delete and start again?? Is there any way to put a scroll up and down on the side as the box doesn't get any bigger...
Samething when I reply to someone I can't go low enough sometimes to type without deleting.. Cheers and sorry I'm a dumbass

henno
20th April 2011, 01:44 PM
What phone are you using? The way that textareas are rendered is generally dependant on the phone itself.

aimnhit
20th April 2011, 01:59 PM
iPhone 4

goonie
20th April 2011, 03:39 PM
iPhone 4

I think it's a phone issue, I had the same issue with my ipod touch, don't have it with my android phone

Iain
20th April 2011, 03:43 PM
Question gurus?? When I'm typing on moblie I can't scroll up and down in this box I write in.. It's fine when your just using a paragragh or so but anymore then that I can't back to the start of of the box. The only way is delete and start again?? Is there any way to put a scroll up and down on the side as the box doesn't get any bigger...
Samething when I reply to someone I can't go low enough sometimes to type without deleting.. Cheers and sorry I'm a dumbass

On the iphone 4, you should just be able to tap and hold inside the box, then move your finger to the top of the box. That should scroll up within the text box. Same for down.

AndyP
20th April 2011, 03:51 PM
Did you up on the wrong side of the bed again? Does this happen a lot?I upped on the right side, but she said no.

It is annoying. I sometimes select text and use the selection to do the scrolling up.

MegaWatty
20th April 2011, 04:04 PM
Hold your finger in the text box for about a second until it begins to magnify, and without taking your finger off the screen, move up to the point you want to edit.

MegaWatty
20th April 2011, 04:06 PM
Lucky I got in 3rd! Probably helps to refresh the page first.