PDA

View Full Version : Murray River Golf

Ona
25th June 2005, 04:24 PM
If you were planning a 2 or 3 day golf trip to the Murray (staying in Cobram or Yarrawonga) what would be your itinerary? Also, packaged or DIY?

cheers

oz
26th June 2005, 07:45 AM
Courses I would include are:

Cobram-Barooga (old)
Yarrwonga (river)
Corowa
Rich River (Echuca)

If you get to Albury, include:

Thurgoona
Albury
Howlong

If you add more rounds with less travel, the new courses at Cobram & Yarrawonga are pretty good, and worth a look. Just not the same challenge as the old courses.

If you have an opportunity to go further west, Murray Downs at Swan Hill is definately worth a look, but it's a long drive out there.

Ona
26th June 2005, 10:39 AM
thanks oz :D Murray Downs I'd love to check out, but would add at least 4hrs driving time, reckon it's worth it? Remember every second driving is good drinking time wasted :roll: That also puts anything east of Yarrawonga in the 'not too likely' collumn :roll:

If you had to choose b/w Tocumwal, Rich River and Corowa, Corowa meaning plenty of driving, where would you go?

oz
26th June 2005, 05:57 PM
If you are staying in Yarrawonga, Corowa is only 30 mins away, and a nice track. Haven't played Tocumwal, so I don't know there. Rich River gets a good rap, and I'd probably take it over the other 2.

Bruce
26th June 2005, 09:32 PM
Both the Tocumwal courses are excellent. I preferred the Captains to the Presidents.

Finley is 15 mins away from there and, while flat, was a good track.

Ona
26th June 2005, 11:58 PM
thanks guys :D

AndyP
28th June 2005, 02:01 PM
Found this during my own searchs:

http://www.ausgolf.com.au/murraylisting.htm

http://www.ausgolf.com.au/murraygolf.htm

http://www.ausgolf.com.au/murrayriver.htm

AndyP
17th August 2005, 10:36 AM
Played Murray Downs Country Club, just on the other side of the Murray River to Swan Hill, yesterday.

Don't know what I should type when doing a review of a course, so I'll just jot down my thoughts.

Very nice course.  It was a little dry (but not a problem), as they don't water during winter I'm told.  Apparently summer is when the course is in it's best condition.  However I don't recall having too many issues with the lie of my ball, in terms of condition, during my round.

Bunker condition was a bit disappointing.  They seemed a bit bare.  After the balls rolled into them, they continued to roll for a bit in the bunker, or even escape.
I was also lucky enough to land in the only 'test' bunker on the course (although I did test quite a few of them :roll: ), where they were testing a different sand.  All of the bunkers were red sand, except for this one, which was full of little pebbles.  Didn't like it. First reaction after hitting out of it was to see how scratched up the club was.

One thing I noticed was that the par 5s were pretty short (525m, 457m, 460m, 472m).  Even I got the distance on three of the four in two shots, although the tees may have been a little forward on a couple of them, but not too much).
Yet most of the par 3s were long (178m, 194m, 127m, 169m), and pretty well guarded by bunkers (in fact all greens seemed to be guarded by bunkers).  Very tough holes.

Greens were in good condition, with plenty of contours.  Some of the pins were tucked into the corners of the greens yesterday, which made things a little tough.  Didn't seem that easy to hold a green either, but I wasn't accurate enough to properly test that theory out.

Although the course doesn't have any holes alongside the Murray (although you get within 100m), there is plenty of water on the course for you to try and steer away from.
Plenty of mounds and contours on the fairways to keep things interesting too.

There was nothing too exciting about the surroundings of the course, just paddocks.  But the course still looked nice, and there were a couple of great looking holes with water clearances.

Course seemed fairly open and forgiving to stray shots. When you got in the trees they were well seperated, or you could even come out on a neighbouring fairway.
Then again I could just think it was forgiving because I was hitting it well off the tee.  I do recall some narrow landing areas and fairway bunkers. ;)
Plenty of distance markings on sprinkler heads too, which I always like.

Course length was 6197m, so not too long.  Par 72, ACR 72.
Cost is $35 or $25 as a member's guest.  I was told membership is $310.

That'll do for now.  Questions? :D

BrisVegas
17th August 2005, 01:10 PM
Good review Andy.