PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever walked off mid round?

BroKar
2nd April 2011, 03:45 PM
Today I decided to go and play the monthly medal, I am now playing off 16 and was feeling good about game after yesterdays social round 82.

Well today I was 16 over after 5 holes and decided to throw the towel in and just go home, I have never played as bad I was today and to be honest it was that terrible that I have no idea what the issue was.

It also looked like it was going to be an incredibly long day when there were a group of 5 in front and and we were a group of 5 for some reason.

Hux
2nd April 2011, 04:21 PM
How the heck do they allow groups of 5 in stroke play (or at any time for that matter)?

Never walked off...felt like it quite a few times but stuck it out in the desire to try and work things out. Late last year I shot 50 on the back nine and then we turned and I shot 3 over on the front. Ended up feeling quite good as it was my first sub 40 nine hole score since I started playing again.

Stuartd147
2nd April 2011, 04:29 PM
I did think about that today and maybe if I had my own car there I might have....we had cored greens that were damp to start with and sand all over them, it was blowing hard and it was cold....I did think about walking off but resisted! Net 81....I should have...Stu

BroKar
2nd April 2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah I never have before today, it wasn't like I was playing bad, you could have been confused for thinking it was the first time I had picked up a club, it was very very embarrasing.

I don't understand allowing 5 in stroke play, especially 2 groups in a row, hardly makes any sense.

Hux
2nd April 2011, 04:36 PM
Th egroup of 5 would unsettle me unless it was a social wack. Certainly don't blame you for walking off when you know you are just going to waste 5 hrs you could do something else with.

davepuppies
2nd April 2011, 04:41 PM
I havent walked off due to poor form, i have for the weather...

I play with 2 fellas that regularly walk off if playing shit........... i reckon they are playing for the wrong reasons if it gets to that (1 is a PGA pro)

Eag's
2nd April 2011, 04:41 PM
Only time I have walked was due to poor weather.
I have played with people who have walked for a variety of reasons.

BroKar
2nd April 2011, 04:43 PM
If there was only 4 people playing, I would never walk mid round, but figured I wouldn't be missed.

The other part was because we had a group of 5 we had people rushing to tee off while others are putting out etc, next time I will just walk back to the car on the first tee of that happens again.

Hux
2nd April 2011, 04:44 PM
Only time I have walked was due to poor weather.
I have played with people who have walked for a variety of reasons.

Nudgee won't even walk (far away) when he has a grogan to get rid of.

Eag's
2nd April 2011, 04:47 PM
:lol:

Jarro
2nd April 2011, 04:48 PM
Like others have said, i've never walked off from bad play, just from bad weather.

Jarro
2nd April 2011, 04:49 PM
Nudgee won't even walk (far away) when he has a grogan to get rid of.

So would you if you had grogans the size he supposedly has ... :roll:

.. oh wait !

razaar
2nd April 2011, 04:57 PM
Were you in the last group Brokar, with Pody? The sheet shows one guy by himself behind your group, so he must have been included with your four. I haven't played on a Saturday since Nov 3 and that was at Bribie Island when I played with Kari. The course is set up too penal for this old bloke.

sms316
2nd April 2011, 05:04 PM
Yes.

Courty
2nd April 2011, 05:08 PM
The only times I've walked off due to weather is when there is lightning about. The only other time I've walked off was due to heat exhaustion on a steamy summer morning when I stupidly decided to carry my new stand bag. :roll:

live4golf
2nd April 2011, 05:14 PM
Same as most, walked off due to injury (tore a staple after surgery) and weather

Eag's
2nd April 2011, 05:18 PM
So would you if you had grogans the size he supposedly has ... :roll:

.. oh wait !

Yeah talk about a Fijian banana or scud missile :razz:

BroKar
2nd April 2011, 05:27 PM
Were you in the last group Brokar, with Pody? The sheet shows one guy by himself behind your group, so he must have been included with your four. I haven't played on a Saturday since Nov 3 and that was at Bribie Island when I played with Kari. The course is set up too penal for this old bloke.

Yeah I was Razaar, it was really weird, a group of 4 hit off in front, thenanother guy just teed off on his own and walked down behind them, then we teed off as 4 and another guy said he had to play with us.

So we ended up with 2 groups of 5.

Gomer
2nd April 2011, 06:35 PM
I've walked off mid round due to a nasty fly problem. No aero-guard and playing on a course surrounded by dairy farms is a bad idea.

TheNuclearOne
2nd April 2011, 06:46 PM
I could never walk off during a round due to poor form.

BrisVegas
2nd April 2011, 08:41 PM
I think I did it when I was a 'kid' and played heaps. Can't remember doing it in the last 10-15 years though.

Bruce
2nd April 2011, 09:27 PM
I've not bothered to continue onto the back 9 at Tirhatuan Lakes when it was 3:15 and we waiting for the 10th tee to clear.

LarryLong
2nd April 2011, 09:30 PM
Can't recall ever walking off, but I never really go in with any expectations.

Grunt
2nd April 2011, 09:57 PM
Only slow play and weather has caused me to walk off.

robwa
3rd April 2011, 12:15 AM
Ive walked off mid round once before. i was playing on my own though and no matter how hardi tried to concentrate not one part of my game was working. I felt pretty ashamed to just give up like that though. Dont plan on doing it again, wouldnt do it during comp though.

BroKar
3rd April 2011, 12:36 AM
I would never do it in a normal situation, but with 5 in group I didn't see it as a major issue.

I could have been 30 over with 4 poeple after 5 and I would have played it out

Johnny Canuck
3rd April 2011, 03:40 AM
Never walked off due to form or weather. If I'm playing terrible, I'll buy drinks at the turn and be happy.

Leaving due to poor form is gheyer than Yoss.

mudrat
3rd April 2011, 04:47 AM
Never walked off due to form or weather. If I'm playing terrible, I'll buy drinks at the turn and be happy.

+1

SeptemberSquall
3rd April 2011, 08:14 AM
+2

TheTrueReview
3rd April 2011, 09:37 AM
Never walked off due to form. Felt like walking off a couple of times when paired up with guys that turned out to be annoying tools.

mike
3rd April 2011, 12:12 PM
Only once from memory. Only because of lightning.

Felt like walking off a couple of times when paired up with guys that turned out to be annoying tools.I know of someone at my club that walked off before completing the first hole in a 4BBB because his partner was an annoying tool.

sms316
3rd April 2011, 12:50 PM
I know of someone at my club that walked off before completing the first hole in a 4BBB because his partner was an annoying tool.
Walked off after 3 holes at Redcliffe after realising that 4-5 hours with a complete numbskull might result in me going to jail.

Yossarian
3rd April 2011, 01:29 PM

Pretty much what you said. Homo.

Jarro
3rd April 2011, 01:35 PM
I almost did today ...... :roll:

WBennett
3rd April 2011, 01:58 PM
I've abandoned on the 14th before bacause I couldn't be assed to finish. Luckily the 14th literally goes past the clubhouse. It was over 4 hours to there, I had already won the matchplay, and wasn't going to post a score. Nobody was having fun in the group and we felt like a drink and a punt, so all 4 of us pulled the pin.

Had ten times more fun in the TAB Lounge with beers than if we had bothered to finish

goughy
3rd April 2011, 02:12 PM
Once for lightening and a heavy storm that lucky for us turned to hail after we'd driven out of the car park. Got to the second green.

Once at City GC after playing 14 holes in continual rain we teed off on the 15th only to get to the green and find the hole under half a foot of water. Up to then it was a drop on nearly every shot to get out of the worst of the casual water. As a group we were determined to finish but that really was enough for us. Luckily the 15th green is no where near the clubhouse but pretty much the furthest point away. Had a full tracksuit on under my golf clothes and another jacket over the top and the tracksuit was wringing wet when I got home. But in those days I considered that fun.

BrisVegas
3rd April 2011, 03:28 PM
coincidentally, my entire group pulled the pin after 9 holes today. There was a large corporate group on the course in front and it was painfully slow. We wouldn't have got done before dark. I was the only one playing the comp, but I was basically just having a practice round for next week's matchplay final.

shazza_rs
3rd April 2011, 06:02 PM
Only for weather (lightening). And one time at Virginia when the mozzies were going to carry me off the course. I could handle the rain that was coming down but the mozzies were another story.

Grunt
3rd April 2011, 07:26 PM
If I pulled the pin for poor form I would never finish a round :)

tyrome biggunz
3rd April 2011, 08:28 PM
Theres no way my consience could let me leave knowing I payed for holes that I didnt put my balls in.

And I havnt walked off a golf course mid-round either

Scottt
3rd April 2011, 08:33 PM
Mate of mine walked off last week in a threeball following fours and it was already slow.

I explained if he walked it would be me and another in a two following fours and would be suicidally slow. He smiled and left anyway. I was filthy.

Goldy
3rd April 2011, 09:20 PM
Time to get some new mates, Scottt.

simmsy
3rd April 2011, 11:35 PM
never walked off due to form or weather, even the other week when i shot 56 on the front 9 and 105 total for the day.

only time i've walked off was at Joondalup a few years ago 3&1/2 hours to complete 9 holes due to being stuck behind many groups of yokels.

rubin
3rd April 2011, 11:48 PM
walked off once for weather, thunder and lightning storms.... The course super closed it anyway and was making sure people were gatting back to the clubhouse asap.

I'd agre with grunt, if I left due to form, i would never start a round!

Yossarian
3rd April 2011, 11:54 PM
Gatting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrdV1jXIMDQ&feature=related

TourFit
4th April 2011, 12:03 AM
I'll walk off next weekend at The Champs...especially if Canuck gets his way and I end up playing with Tiger, AGAIN!

Yossarian
4th April 2011, 12:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TA6LQmP0ec&feature=fvsr

Johnny Canuck
4th April 2011, 12:21 AM
Don't you mean waddle off, Ducky?

dean0820
4th April 2011, 01:22 AM
interested to see the bobby jones stroke of genius movie last night in which he walked off st andrews.
closest i've been was the third day of a golf tour where for the last few holes i was so drunk that after teeing off i just picked up my ball and went for a quick lie down on the next tee for a couple of minutes.
problem was i went to the wrong tee on one occasion and they had to search for me before playing the next hole.

sol381
4th April 2011, 06:24 AM
mate i dont blame you for walking.. as you say they still had a foursome after you left.. no fun if your not playing that well but also no fun if it takes 5 1/2 hours to play with 2 hours of that just waiting for the idiots in front. slow play would make me walk. also wouldnt help still being injured.. hows the carpal tunnel going btw.

ozdevil
4th April 2011, 08:15 AM
walking off is very poor sportsmanship in book part from medical or to dangerous weather conditions. for someone to walk off shows me how much of a sooky la la they are....

yes sometimes i have felt walking off during around but i dont like to show bad sportsmanship... i am just a believer if you start something finish it doesnt matter how good or bad the outcome is..

i also understand it must have been painfull playing in a group of 5 but really if you play in a group of 5 you have agreed and accepted that predicament...

i would be really pi$$edoff if my marker in a comp decided he was playing bad and walked off... it may mean that i am left with out a marker to sign my card at the end of comp specially if its only yourself and another player...

its your choice to walk off but make sure you consider your fellow compeitors aint going to suffer from your walk off

Daves
4th April 2011, 08:34 AM
Au contraire. I have not walked off myself, not yet anyway. But have had others in the group walk off and I have been very happy with their decision. In a couple of cases it was guys I did not know who had obvious anger management issues, and quite frankly if they had not done themselves and their gear damage at some stage, then someone else in the group would have!

One guy even apologised profusely and said he obviously wasn't fit to be playing in competition and should withdraw indefinitely until he could handle the situation.

I have also had guys pull out when it was obvious that slow play was going to make it impossible for them to finish by their personal deadline (usually to pick up the kids from school or similar). I have no issue with that.

Quiting because you are playing shite is not a good excuse, though I have to say that sometimes I wish they would quit as I am looking for their umpteenth lost ball!

Weather is a valid excuse, though it does mean you are soft ****!

TourFit
4th April 2011, 02:32 PM
Don't you mean waddle off, Ducky?

Or even crawl out of there on hands & knees...

BroKar
4th April 2011, 03:51 PM
I didnt really agree to play in a group of 5, I had already teed off and someone else walked up and teed off after me, as stated there were 4 players left so there was obviously someone there to sign the card.

Sol wrist is coming good mate, we should have a hit.

I ended up playing with the veterans this morning, I thought we must have a new comp on Monday as I logged in and it said Mens Stableford, not Mens over 50 stableford, Pam let me play but just not in the comp so I played pretty well with the wrist, shot an 87 off the stick and only got a little tender on the back nine.

PerryGroves
4th April 2011, 05:16 PM
Walkoffs, make your own decision as long as it doesn't effect your group. Everyone gets a bit pious, I would rather some guys leave than endure their whinging and bitching.

Quickest walk off, bloke we played with some years ago off scratch (has given it away now), hit two OB right off the 1st in the Long Reef Medal. That'll do, see ya boys.

BayBum
10th April 2011, 10:12 PM
Never due to the golf but a couple of times due to alcohol poisoning...

Talart
12th April 2011, 09:28 AM
Never walked of during a round so far, not to say that I won't one day and have no problem with others who have done so for various reasons.

Coffs_Hacker
12th April 2011, 04:29 PM
Only once - 14th hole son was having a asthma attack at home so left to take him to hosp.