PDA

View Full Version : Possible Perth Tournament in 2012 - here's hoping!

simmsy
1st April 2011, 09:46 PM
hopefully this comes off for us WAnkers!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/golf/8781304/golf-coup-for-wa/

rubin
1st April 2011, 10:29 PM
I hope your not holding your breath for it simmsy.

simmsy
1st April 2011, 10:38 PM
no i won't be suprised if it doesn't go ahead, but the signs look relatively promising, the State Gov has coughed up 1.5 and both IMG and 1asia want a tournament in Perth starting next year so hopefully this does go ahead but i won't be shocked if it falls over.

rubin
1st April 2011, 10:39 PM
did it name any sights anywhere? it didnt in the linked article .

TourFit
1st April 2011, 11:50 PM
I heard that they were looking at Karrinyup...but I'd be VERY surprised. The members aren't too keen after the JW's .

Most likely be The Vines I would expect. It's known to potential players and they'll bid for anything (I'm surprised they didn't come out and bid for the WA Champs!).

So, if it's NOT the Open or The Masters, or even the PGA then it will likely be a new (or rotational) OneAsia/Australasia event. So much for the world's elite and top players, eh?

Hux
2nd April 2011, 04:30 PM
Watching the Pro Shop on One HD and the new SEO of PGA said their aim is to have a fifth tier one event in Aus next year so that sounds right. NZ, NSW, VIC & QLD have them so throw in a WA event and its on the money.

Hogan's Bogan
2nd April 2011, 04:32 PM
I don't see WA getting a top tier event, we're just not accessible enough. They flogged the bejeesus out of the JW when it was here, but you only got a few big names hopping over after playing for some real $$ in Singas or Asia, or paid well over the winners cheque in appearance money to come, like Norman was. And you can only do that with one marquee player, or it gets too pricey.

JW only managed a few drawcards in its time, and not in job lots. I saw Norman, Player, Langer, Els and Woosnam over 2-3 years.

simmsy
2nd April 2011, 04:40 PM
i don't think anyone is pretending they would get 4 of the world top 10 or anything of that nature, but you will still would be a chance of good aussie golfers and 1asia/japan players and perhaps a few US tour aussies as well.

idgolfguy
4th April 2011, 10:05 PM
Most likely be The Vines I would expect. It's known to potential players and they'll bid for anything (I'm surprised they didn't come out and bid for the WA Champs...
Can't see the Vines bidding for anything either - the last JW was going to be the last tournament.

Sure it wasn't an April Fools attempt.

MegaWatty
4th April 2011, 11:05 PM
Kalgoorlie!

simmsy
4th April 2011, 11:16 PM
Can't see the Vines bidding for anything either - the last JW was going to be the last tournament.

Sure it wasn't an April Fools attempt.

nah it was a 1/2 page article in The Worst a few weeks back, don't any of you lot read the papers?

Yossarian
4th April 2011, 11:23 PM
Freo Public?

MegaWatty
4th April 2011, 11:33 PM
nah it was a 1/2 page article in The Worst a few weeks back, don't any of you lot read the papers?

Nope. Hate the paper to start with and consume all of my news online.

simmsy
5th April 2011, 12:06 AM
there's not alot to love with our daily tabloid i know.

idgolfguy
5th April 2011, 12:22 AM
Never read local news.

Nuffie
5th April 2011, 12:57 AM
Yep, less good news than bad in the ppr these days unfortunately.

So the only part I tend to read (during my lunchbreak) starts from the back page and prob works in 5 pages more max. By the time you reach the weekend golf results, its time to go back to work :). Always seem to time this well.

And yes, we do need another major event in Perth. Though with The Vines and Karrinyup appearing unreluctant to stage it, can't see where else would. Maybe Joondalup or is that course too mickey mousey for even the women pros? I'd have to say prob not so much for the women.

idgolfguy
5th April 2011, 08:13 AM
From what I remember, the Vines kicked in a in a fair whack of cash in the order of hundreds of thousands. And the general comment has been not again etc.

However, in saying that, 2012 is only a year or so away. I understand that the course is up for sale and there has been a lot of work done on the course. They have also let the first cut grow out more and clear the bush back on all parts of the course.

The condition of both courses has improved significantly in the last six months. I doubt if this all would have come about because of the golflink changes.

BTW Lakes has been rerated and all Par 5 are above 14. Major changes has been that two of the Par 3s are now below 10.

TourFit
5th April 2011, 12:03 PM
There isn't a 'tough' Par 5 on Lakes anyway...they should rate 14+.

MegaWatty
5th April 2011, 12:05 PM
Has they got rid of the Poa on 8 Lakes green yet?

This is not an annoying Tapatalk signature!

Bruce Dickinson
5th April 2011, 01:10 PM
Would be good at Joondalup, use the composite layout of the quarry nine, first five on the dunes and holes 1,2,8 and 9 on the lakes. Could dust off a couple of unused tiger tees on dune 4 and 5 in particular

idgolfguy
5th April 2011, 05:31 PM
Still working on it. Lakes 9 also needs work too.