PDA

View Full Version : TOUR Convert

kwantfm
23rd June 2005, 08:25 PM
Well this should set the cat amongst the pigeons... this is going to be a very long post.

A bit of background. I play off 12 at a moderately challenging golf course. Most people on this board who have played with me (with the exception of Speirsy... my god I hit the ball badly that day) would probably say that my striking looks better than the handicap would hint at (or maybe I'm just delusional). I've been playing this humbling game for all of 17 years and have been an equipment junkie for as long as I remember. I've made two really big purchases during my career as a ho... I bought the original J's Professional Weapon in 1990 (made famous by Jumbo Ozaki, Jack Nicklaus and Ray Floyd in the 1990 Masters), and I purchased the original Srixon XXIO after a long hiatus from buying golf clubs (I went to a demo day after having not bought a new driver for 3-4 years and discovered how much better the current crop were). For both clubs I paid a lot of money.

Whilst running my own business I decided to set up a component import and distribution business with a mate. We brought in SMT heads and AccuFLEX shafts and I tried virtually every component head on the market. For about a year and a half I had a bag totally full of component equipment that I had put together myself. Bang, Ashton, SMT, Wishon... I tried them all... and loved them all.

I'd been on BSG a few years ago and didn't believe the Tour stuff. But after reading a few posts on this board and others and getting a bit of encouragement from those in the know I decided to have a go. The first thing I should say is that Tour equipment is a bit hit and miss. The first club I got was a 300 Tour (the so-called "Holy Grail") which, unfortunately, I never got on with that well. Perhaps this 12 handicapper needs a driver bigger than 360 cc. Next I got a 13* 3-wood and hybrid from Speirsy. After reshafting (he had bloody tipped X-flex shafts in them) they have stayed in the bag and feel incredibly solid.

What has made me a total believer is the 510 TP Tour that I have now. 3oneday helped organise a purchase from the US of the head. Now shafted with a 569 Speeder in S-flex. There are a few differences with this driver: it sounds better, it "feels" more solid (I believe that "feel" comes a lot from sound", trajectory is extremely penetrating without any hint of ballooning, and believe it or not I have gained some metres.

I've probably gained 5-10 metres on solid shots which is a big thing given that I've been able to hit a lot of drivers in the past few years and I have a pretty good idea about loft and shafts that suit me.

This is the best driver I have ever hit... a little surprising given that it's quite a few years old now.

Now what I don't believe. I find it hard to imagine that this is made from a different titanium than the retail product. I have to think that TM pulls the open faced clubs (manufacturing error) off the conveyor belt and use these as a starting point. I believe that the sound and flight differences are due to rat glue or holt melt. This would deaden the sound and change the centre of gravity of the club.

So, to me, Tour clubs give you access to the best spec'ed heads in the business.

As you can tell, I'm pretty excited... and I'm putting on the flame proof suit. Do your best guys!

T

Jarro
23rd June 2005, 08:35 PM
no arguements from me T , i've got the same club in my bag ... with a tipped NV 75 S though  :wink:

awesome club ... probably the most solid i've hit (alongside the 300Tour i used to have) and absolutely better than the 510TP's .. of which i've hit a few.

3oneday
23rd June 2005, 08:46 PM
Go you good thing...............

I give it 3 weeks.

Pete

markTHEblake
23rd June 2005, 08:52 PM
(I believe that "feel" comes a lot from sound",

Thats been proven in blind tests, golfers were wearing total blockout earplugs and they all reported the clubs felt like crap. Even though they were the same clubs they hit before and said felt great.

Trung
23rd June 2005, 08:56 PM
3 weeks hey :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kwantfm
23rd June 2005, 09:03 PM
I give it 3 weeks.

W@nker!

Trung
23rd June 2005, 09:06 PM
oooouch #-o

macleod
23rd June 2005, 09:53 PM
great post terence....although i hope you're not volunterring to sacrifice the head and gets inside it to confirm what you've said...sacrilege!

such passion....i'd like to officially be first in line for it if there is ever any doubt or a new belle appears in the near future. :D

was the head you guys sourced custom done in any way for you?

kwantfm
23rd June 2005, 10:01 PM
macleod,

The head wasn't customised at all to me... wouldn't have known what I wanted...

Cheers,
T

terryand
23rd June 2005, 10:06 PM
I had hotmelt put in the heel of mine and it seems to be giong OK ATM.

Terry.

Pinglauncher
23rd June 2005, 10:09 PM
[quote="macleod"]such passion....i'd like to officially be first in line for it if there is ever any doubt or a new belle appears in the near future. :D /quote]

Macca

You have to be quicker than that :wink: First dibs are looooong goooone

kwantfm
23rd June 2005, 10:10 PM
PL... 9.5*... has that SpeedStik been kickin' in???!!!

Pinglauncher
23rd June 2005, 10:16 PM
Terence

I will attest your ball striking should have you off single figures. It must be the clubs that are holding you back. What you need to help drop those last few shots are a set of Wishon 550's, maybe some Wishon 321li hybrids and an SMT driver. Hang on, I think I know where to find a set like this :wink:

I look forward to shortly seeing the 510TP in the flesh so to speak. Single figures by Xmas says Santa.

macleod
23rd June 2005, 10:27 PM
[quote=macleod]such passion....i'd like to officially be first in line for it if there is ever any doubt or a new belle appears in the near future. :D /quote]

Macca

You have to be quicker than that  :wink:  First dibs are looooong goooone

thought i'd give it a spin just in case...like calling shotgun 20 minutes after the chance appears....you just never know :)

can you get some extra drivers combo's for him to borrow and try out and maybe smoke him out a little?

Pinglauncher
23rd June 2005, 10:29 PM
PL... 9.5*... has that SpeedStik been kickin' in???!!!

My apologies TK

Damn. It is either my age or the hour of the night showing. I was dreaming of Mizuno's.

9.5* :lol: :lol: I would need the Speed Stik, Speed Chain, Steroids and a golf swing to hit it with :oops:

Jono
24th June 2005, 01:56 AM
Good post, T. I know how many drivers you've tried, so coming from you, this baby has earned its praise ... 8)

I'll be a bit more generous than Pete. I give it 6 weeks. There's always a better driver around the corner ... :wink:

Jarro
24th June 2005, 04:21 AM
don't listen to 'em T, i'll doubt you change drivers for quite a while now .. the 510TP Tour is just that good 8)

still don't know why Pete sold it, bloody idiot :P

BrisVegas
24th June 2005, 08:02 AM
T - have you tried the 983E Tour? I had a hit with Nudgee's and loved it. Pity he had a crow bar in it for a shaft though... :roll:

I've only hit a 510TP a couple of times and it was a very solid club. For me though, I can't get past the TM looks. If I could find something as nice as a 510TP which looked a bit more stylish (ie. like a Titleist or a Cleveland) that would be my "dream driver"...

Glad you found such a great club. Hope it stays in the bag. 8)

Jarro
24th June 2005, 08:31 AM
 If I could find something as nice as a 510TP which looked a bit more stylish (ie. like a Titleist or a Cleveland) that would be my "dream driver"...

you've lost me there mate, i can't for the life of me see how the Titty driver looks better than the 510 :?

but hey.. different strokes :wink: 8)

kwantfm
24th June 2005, 08:39 AM
Pinglauncher,

You've got plenty of swing... just don't think that 9.5 would help you get ideal trajectory.

Jono,

Mate... you're probably right... you know me well and there always is a better driver (did I hear Tour FT-3 Draw???).

Brisvegas,

The only Titty I ever hit was the 975 D in 7.5*... pretty obvious that it was so not my club. I agree with Jarro that to me TM drivers are the prettiest out there but horses for courses.

Cheers,
T