simmsy
23rd March 2011, 11:59 PM
so with the fear of getting laughed out of ozgolf here is my swing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfWmRWrj1k

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVyy5pqvvg

and 6i

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5idr9YHv-3E

comments please, WAnkers are not required to enter their thoughts in this thread, especially canadian ones.:)

rubin
24th March 2011, 12:09 AM
im not going to comment on the swing, but that looks like the hole that is Melville Golf centre.

Only cause i'm too lazy to look for myself, what flex shaft do you have in the driver?

simmsy
24th March 2011, 12:17 AM
it is a Reg NV Voodoo in that driver, but as of tomorrow it will be SVS6 voodoo and we'll see how that goes.

why you ask?

and yes MGC is a hole, out of the 100 bucket i bought 5 balls would of had dimples on them.

rubin
24th March 2011, 12:23 AM
Just curious mate. It seemed to flex a hell of a lot at impact.

I was there tonight, and the amount of times i heard the 'whistle' of a busted ball cover was ridiculous.

On the swing side though, you do seem to have a very stiff/solid backswing. very tensed up and you dont look relaxed.

idgolfguy
24th March 2011, 12:26 AM
To my untrained eye - these observations without much thought:
On your back swing face on driver swing - slight reverse pivot or not enough or synchronised weight transfer.
On downswing, at impact, left leg is not firm but bent leading to a power leak.

Side on backswing - you're not on plane. Check out where the butt-end is tracing. It seems to be missing the plane line.
Backswing looks a little outside with clubhead mass not supported by hands as it stays outside the hands.

On the downswing and after impact - clubhead hasn't crossed plane line - could lead to high, soft fades.
On finish, left knee looks bent - again could be causal from impact.

Just my 2 cents worth. No doubt, there will be others who would disagree - and I won't dispute those who are more schooled/

simmsy
24th March 2011, 12:30 AM
Geez is that all idg:lol:

and they were my good swings

idgolfguy
24th March 2011, 12:34 AM
I have a perception of a good swing - not what I do. I was just comparing it to my perception. I am also TGM and some of that may creep in. As I said, I am not necessarily right.
I could add a couple more observations - but I'll wait to see if I am on track.

When have I ever commented on a swing on this forum? You're the first!

It's still a functional swing. You can still play to a low HC, if it was consistent. It really depends on the extent you want to change.

In my case, I don't want to change my swing - just tweak it to reduce inconsistency.

idgolfguy
24th March 2011, 12:39 AM
I'm in Adelaide at the moment and it is past midnight. I have an early start and can't sleep.

simmsy
24th March 2011, 12:42 AM
consistency! that's what i am missing more than anything, when my swing works im happy as larry but when it goes wrong it's a long day.

i don't have time or money to rebuild a swing but if i can work on making it a little more consistent that'd be good.

do you think my right leg should be more rigid than it is? it seems to collapse on me pretty early in the down swing?

simmsy
24th March 2011, 12:42 AM
I'm in Adelaide at the moment and it is past midnight. I have an early start and can't sleep.

you never do sleep do you?

simmsy
24th March 2011, 12:44 AM
would you say my stance is a little wide idg?

idgolfguy
24th March 2011, 12:45 AM
They've flown me over to do a 40 min presentation and then fly me back home again. Issue is I'd like to sleep so that my brain is clear as I am doing the keynote. I thought about alcohol but it isn't something I do normally.

idgolfguy
24th March 2011, 12:58 AM
You should borrow my Bobby Clampett book - Impact Zone.

Of late, I've given up on being too static in terms of stance and alignment - and it has been working.

I prefer a wider stance to reduce sway. You have a bit going on down there. Your legs and hips seem to be moving together on the back swing reducing any coil and power buildup.

I've been working on keeping my base stable and over the last six to eight weeks or so, I have improved on driver and wood distances. I actually expect to get on both the back 9 par 5s in two with Driver and 5 wood at most. I can get on the 1st par 5 in two on the front nine, but it is a tougher green to hold.

Last four outings, I have birdied both back nine Par 5s at lease twice because of getting on in two. This is due to the stable base and wider stance.

Did I tell you, I played the back 9 in 36 with four birdies and one par last Sat comp - all in reg. Too bad it was a Par round.

idgolfguy
24th March 2011, 01:23 AM
I'm hesitant to give advice - happy to provide observations. Golf is not just a bunch discrete components that can be tweaked independently. What you need to identify is what is causing you to swing the way you do. That would come from a Virge or Razaar, who do it for a living and have experienced different swings and issues and can identify the various causes.

Otherwise, you would be like Nuffie or Golfnut looking at workarounds that may lead you down the wrong path.
There is probably an order to resolve each issue too, fixing them out of order may cause more harm than good.

In working on my swing - I have just focused on one turning point, in this case my stance at the moment. I have not let anything else get into consideration and have committed in comps to just let whatever happens - as long as my stance is good. As a result, my alignment has improved a little more.

simmsy
24th March 2011, 01:26 AM
thanks idg some sage words in there, now go to sleep.

idgolfguy
24th March 2011, 01:45 AM
Going to try mate. Have to wake up in 4 hours.

razaar
24th March 2011, 06:25 AM
Simmsy, the first thing you need to correct is that hip sway. A good backswing has the hip angle staying constant with the right hip clearing out of the way with the butt sticking out. Yours straightens the angle of the hips and tilts the upper body into a reverse pivot position. Once this happens the posture and body angles set up at address are lost with little chance of finding them again at impact. The cure lies in allowing the top half to turn behind the ball without worrying too much about the head staying still. This will feel to you that your upper body is swaying to the right. This feeling is brought about because your body is too vertical at address and the shoulders are level. The correct address position has the right shoulder lower because the right hand is lower on the grip. The tilt is to keep the spine in alignment with the shoulders. This position encourages an inside swing path and allows the upper body to stay behind the ball position. It would be a good idea to move the ball back in your stance (especially with the driver and longer clubs) to encourage you to turn behind the ball for starters.

This clip of the hip turn and return is what you should be striving for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTM9bfD54&feature=relmfu

simmsy
24th March 2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks razaar. Plenty to think about and work on then. Cheers.

davepuppies
24th March 2011, 09:16 AM
I see some lateral hip slide, not enough turn.

Suggest aggressivley turning your lower body hard left through impact.

idgolfguy
24th March 2011, 10:24 AM
To get the right tilt, I was told to bend forward at the hips and then bump your hips down the line a little and that gets you the right amount of tilt.

simmsy
24th March 2011, 04:32 PM
I'm now wondering how I have ever played a decent shot in my life. God that swing is crapola. Need to do some work.

Thanks to all with comments thus far. I'll report back when I get lost in my changes.

Cheers.

Yossarian
24th March 2011, 04:52 PM
Three things. It gets results so don't be to quick to **** with it ala Padrig!

#2. What is with the related videos on you tube!

#3. The first vid when you were setting up the camera, I thought for a second the zoom function had defeated you! nice job OMS.

simmsy
24th March 2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah the related vids thing is a worry!
The undies for trees had me intrigued.

I hope I don't become a Padraig.

rubin
24th March 2011, 04:56 PM
Three things. It gets results so don't be to quick to **** with it ala Padrig!

#2. What is with the related videos on you tube!

#3. The first vid when you were setting up the camera, I thought for a second the zoom function had defeated you! nice job OMS.

Yoss has actually said something of intelligence for once! If its working for you, dont go trying to change everything for the sake of 5 yds difference.

Yossarian
24th March 2011, 05:08 PM
Simmsy is always chasing that extra 20m!

That said I get the desire for change, the bad shots are always horrible at our level and you want to get rid of them.

simmsy
24th March 2011, 06:17 PM
Distance is something for once i am happy with. I need to eliminate the amount of bad shots per round. Some days I can comfortably play to a 12 and then like last week I shot 104!!

That has to stop.

Veefore
24th March 2011, 10:23 PM
What is your bad shot?
What was the ball flight like on those shots in the vids?

Courty
24th March 2011, 10:43 PM
The club-twirl whilst approaching the ball needs to be more upright so you can take advantage of centrifugal force when addressing the ball.

idgolfguy
25th March 2011, 12:17 AM
What Razaar said. Do that first. He explained cause and effect. The rest will fall into place. There is an order to this. Otherwise, you'll be making constant adjustments to even out all the compensations.

simmsy
25th March 2011, 01:16 AM
What is your bad shot?
What was the ball flight like on those shots in the vids?
Bad shot is usually a pull/snap hook or a high block/fade.
Ball flight on those shots was pretty good, straight to a slight draw.

The club-twirl whilst approaching the ball needs to be more upright so you can take advantage of centrifugal force when addressing the ball.
Thanks Courty I am actually trying to eliminate that from my preshot routine, it's a bit like something yoss would do.

What Razaar said. Do that first. He explained cause and effect. The rest will fall into place. There is an order to this. Otherwise, you'll be making constant adjustments to even out all the compensations.

Yeah it's seems like it will be the good place to start. Good vid that he linked in here.

idgolfguy
25th March 2011, 09:28 AM
To maintain your distance, make sure your upper body keeps turning a little more after those hips. Don't forget to turn into your legs - stable base and all that.

rubin
25th March 2011, 07:31 PM
To maintain your distance, make sure your upper body keeps turning a little more after those hips. Don't forget to turn into your legs - stable base and all that.

Not sure if this will help, but I found when trying to get my dad to rotate and turn a bit more was locking the wrists and not allowing them to breakdown at all. it makes you more conscious of the need to turn your body effectively.

Since i've had him do that, he's got a bit more distance (about 15 - 20 metres on driver) and slightly more consistency.

Veefore
25th March 2011, 08:00 PM
Nuttsy would love your swing! The way you take it outside the line going back and get very high on the backswing. I wonder if you would be the first person he doesn't tell to take the club back more upright. :)

Prescribing from my own autobiography (to paraphrase Tony Robbins), the hip slide would be the biggest thing that I see being a potential problem. It's probably not what others would suggest but a tip I got from Ross Metherell was to try keeping your right heel on the ground until after you hit the ball.

It doesn't matter if you don't, but just by holding it down a bit longer it will reduce that slide on the downswing and get rid of the high-rights that are caused by the club still traveling out and open at impact when you slide. It also helps stop the over-the-top pulls that can happen when your hands try to compensate for the slide.

simmsy
25th March 2011, 08:48 PM
thanks V some good points in there.

LarryLong
25th March 2011, 09:10 PM
Can't believe nobody's said anything about the pre-shot routine!

By the time I watched the third one, all I could think was "feet together, shake out right wrist, feet wide, loose practice swing, thump clubhead on ground once, right foot first, left foot, march with feet close together, up straight, legs apart, big wristy waggle.....go! :mrgreen:

Actually, the swing looks pretty reliable from where I'm sitting. Your arms look quite extended on the backswing which puts the club very high, but I don't know if that's good or bad. Is that something you do consciously?

simmsy
25th March 2011, 09:18 PM
no not conciously on that part, the set up obviously is very conscious though. sorry about that LL.

LarryLong
25th March 2011, 09:27 PM
:)

I actually wish I had a pre-shot routine. I just walk up there, fidget aimlessly for a while until I feel like people are getting impatient, and then try to hit it no matter what. I like the practice swing bit too - if I ever took a practice swing I would do it like you - looser than the real swing and no chance of either taking a divot, doing a confidence-destroying shocker-swing or swinging a perfect shot and then messing up the real one.

Yossarian
25th March 2011, 11:19 PM
I still remember that fateful day at Mt Lawley and your pre shot routine on the 1st simmsy!

TourFit
25th March 2011, 11:52 PM
schwing....batterbatterbatter.

Golfnut
26th March 2011, 12:08 AM
....batterbatterbatter.

Mmmmm.....Beeliar Fish & Chips!

This is silly, I've read 2 pages of this thread and STILL haven't got around to watching the vids :D

Golfnut
26th March 2011, 12:15 AM
Ok, watched them now.

Always admired your smooth tempo simmsy........and great amount of shoulder turn for an old man too, I paused it at the top of your swing and felt my upper back twinge.

simmsy
26th March 2011, 12:59 AM
smooth tempo! are you f***'n kidding me!

what you been drinking tonight 'nut?

thanks for the kind words mate, but it's about as smooth as a tokyo earthquake.

Yossarian
26th March 2011, 01:08 AM
Smoother than mine.

Golfnut
26th March 2011, 01:10 AM
If you cut out all the fidgety fartin' around at the start, the swing itself still looks pretty smooth to me mate......just thought I'd highlight what I saw as positives ;)

Smoother than mine too Yoss.

simmsy
26th March 2011, 01:13 AM
like i said mate, thanks for the kind words (dinkum;) ) but i don't feel that swing has great tempo usually feels way too quick. i know when i am swinging well because i feel as though i am hardly swinging, all the movements become alot more fluid if you know what i mean.

Golfnut
26th March 2011, 01:22 AM
I remember your backswing being a fair bit slower than in those vids......

What sort of avg distance are getting from the driver?

idgolfguy
26th March 2011, 02:00 AM
Tempo is about the relationship between backswing and downswing. It's not about how fast or how slow. I may have misunderstood V4, but keeping the right heel planted on the downswing will impede your weight transfer. I need to reread.

idgolfguy
26th March 2011, 02:08 AM
Ok I see where he is going with that, in the last paragraph. The hip slid is fine if you turn it into a bump a touch out left in order to get them out of the so that your hands can go though. Keeping your right foot down at impact is going to cause high cuts if you don't get you weight across.

If you kept your spine angle on the way down, your hip slide would turn into a bump and rotate left out of the way. If you do keep the slide, you've got to have your right shoulder below your left a little longer and then get your hands dragging the shaft and head through. Much more lag and more distance and also lower ball flight and penetration. Somewhat like what JC does.

Veefore
26th March 2011, 12:07 PM
Ok I see where he is going with that, in the last paragraph. The hip slid is fine if you turn it into a bump a touch out left in order to get them out of the so that your hands can go though. Keeping your right foot down at impact is going to cause high cuts if you don't get you weight across.

If you kept your spine angle on the way down, your hip slide would turn into a bump and rotate left out of the way. If you do keep the slide, you've got to have your right shoulder below your left a little longer and then get your hands dragging the shaft and head through. Much more lag and more distance and also lower ball flight and penetration. Somewhat like what JC does.

When I tell someone to keep their right heel down through impact they never do. They can't because they are so used to lifting it and sliding it is actually a massive change. But it gives them a picture in their mind of something and even a little bit will allow the club to get around and square up with the ball.

Rather than try to tell someone a lot of different things about where "this should be" and "that should be" and "this angle" and "that angle" which confuses people and turns their next few swings into a dogs breakfast I like to give one thing at a time to think of that will help their whole body to get into the right positions.

A hip slide is never a good thing. What Simmsy is doing now is effectively moving his centreline ahead of the ball before impact, almost giving the same result as setting up with the ball level with the middle of the stance then moving the ball back in his stance so that it is around the middle of his right foot at impact. He is going to have to do some fancy handwork to make the ball go straight. But that is effectively what is happening when anyone slides and the only ways to compensate are to drag the club inward, off plane (BIG slice or straight pull) or rotate the hands earlier in the downswing (low hook).

By telling him to try to keep his right heel down a bit longer it keeps him from moving his centreline or spine position toward the target until just a fraction of a second later into the swing, turning it into more of a rotation than a slide and therefore squaring up the club and keeping it on the correct plane longer.

We are probably looking for the same outcome, just a different way of getting there. I use this way because it is effective and seems to work for lots of people and is used by some really good teachers that I know.
It certainly works for me when I have the "high-rights" sneak in. :)

razaar
26th March 2011, 12:21 PM
Do you have a hip sway like Simmsy?

simmsy
26th March 2011, 02:46 PM
my.....head.......hurts......soooo....much!:smt073

i'm gonna stop reading this thread for a bit until i can work on something, i like what Razaar was showing and i know that does give me good results when i do it.
before the vid i hadn't realized just how much i was sliding and not turning.

razaar
26th March 2011, 03:05 PM
Simmsy, Gerry Hogan an Aussie published the “The Hogan Manual of Human Performance – GOLF” on pages 82 & 83. –(1992)

“During the backswing, the right hip joint, acting as a mechanical pivot with the firmed right leg as a brace, moves through a shallow arc backwards and towards the left foot. This initiates a reaction on the opposite side of the body, which starts the sequence (turning of the trunk). First, the left hip joint responds by moving through a shallow arc slightly forwards and towards the right foot. It is important to recognize here that the right hip joint, having moved to the left, does not move back to the right at the start of the downswing. You see, by moving to the left, it has changed the angle of the right leg dramatically, enabling it to brace itself rigidly against the ground.
Now that the right hip joint is fully shifted to the left, the left hip joint must begin to travel back to a position where it can act as a pivot above a braced left leg later in the downswing. In fact, it moves through the same kind of arc as before, although in the opposite direction – that is back to the left. So while it is true that the left hip does move a little to the left as the downswing begins, the right hip remains stationary. What is actually happening here is not a turning of the hips but, rather, a mechanical exchange of pivots.”

I bet that guy in the vid read Gerry's book. Those teachers over there aren't smart enough to work that out by themselves.

Veefore
26th March 2011, 08:01 PM
Do you have a hip sway like Simmsy?

I used to. :)

The right heel thing was what cured it for me. As I said in the first post I was "prescribing from my own autobiography".

Since then I have found out that a few other teachers use that tip as well. It's not a cure for everything but I believe in one thing at a time.

razaar
26th March 2011, 08:05 PM
I used to. :)

The right heel thing was what cured it for me. As I said in the first post I was "prescribing from my own autobiography".

Since then I have found out that a few other teachers use that tip as well. It's not a cure for everything but I believe in one thing at a time.
How could keeping the right foot down on the through-swing cure a sway on the backswing?

idgolfguy
27th March 2011, 02:42 AM
V4
I can understand if it is a perception rather than a doing activity. I'm quite flexible to the point if double jointedness. I can easily achieve 70% rotation with both feet planted with my torso.

If there has been hip sway onthe backswing, surely you wouldn't want your back foot planted on the planted removing any chance of a movement to compensate the movement of the ball.

On the downswing, if your hip moves back into your left leg but stays inside - so there is no break of the knee - your head should still be behind the ball. It's the K-position we strive to achieve. If your leading leg breaks down, yes, your hip has caused you centre/head to be past the ball. This can lead to the OTT move with your hands trying to catch up.

I think I see what you mean by using the right foot as some kind of delay to hang back your torso so that your radius doesn't change.

I read the mainstream teaching approaches, Penick, Jones and Nicklaus, Leadbetter, Elk etc. Don't recall the hanging back on the downswing. I have heard of the weight on the front throughout though to reduce sway.

idgolfguy
27th March 2011, 02:55 AM
Golf and music are so similar. So many different ways to trigger and interpret a feeling. However, regardless of how or what your approach is, at the point of execution, there is only one way. What happens before and after does not mean anything. To get to that point, can be done in a myriad of ways, and you have to find the way that suits you best.

Veefore
27th March 2011, 09:59 PM
I was wrong. :(

I probably locked on to the part of the swing that was closest to my old fault and didn't put it in context with the rest of the swing. Stupid move resulting in bad information.
That's why I fix motorbikes for a hobby and leave the golf to others most of the time these days.

Now for a completely different point of view. I asked a friend who is one of the best teachers I know to take a look at the videos. He left what he called "the best job in golf" with the Butch Harmon School a year or so ago to run his own businesses in Malaysia.

Without seeing on high speed video it is tough.

I see two major issues with it, that if corrected will fix up a lot of smaller things.
1) He is extremely handsy and relies on his hands and arms to square up the club face.
From the video, it looks like he is weak in the left hand.
At the top of his back swing, and when the club is parallel to the ground on the down swing, the club face looks in an open position.

I would start with strengthen up his left hand.
This will fnck him up for a while as he will initially still be handsy but with a stronger grip (he will hook the crap out of it), but over time he will develop a more correct and body orientated release, an gradually reduce the roll of his hands during his downswing.

2) Plane.
A weaker grip usually compliments an outside in swing. I would have thought that he hits cuts. But if he draws the ball, he aims right, comes over the top then uses his hands to his the draw.

A great drill to fix up his path would be placing a long box (like a box that companies send clubs to a retail outlet in) just outside the ball. Place it on a slight angle that encourages an inside takeaway then an in to out path when the club is approaching the ball.

By making a more inside back swing, he ill flatten out his plane and get the club more around his right shoulder at the top of the back swing. Fixing this will allow himself wind up behind the ball and turn his shoulders correctly better. Fixing his takeaway will fix his reverse pivot.

To me, if this guy wants to hit it further and with more distance, the changes would take a month or so to become comfortable and work, but getting the hands out of play should be the #1 priority.

idgolfguy
28th March 2011, 01:42 AM
Like the 'governor' idea.
Simmsy, you can borrow my Visiontrack if you want.

Nuffie
28th March 2011, 01:44 AM
Simmsy, what's happened to the trusty swing mate?. You were hitting it sooo good when I saw you play a month back.

I agree with what Idgolfguy has said and to a point what Veefore has said (bit about you having a stronger right hand in the swing).

My right hand is also a lot stronger in my swing than my left and my bad shots are quite similar to your bad shot. I've tried strengthening my left hand on numerous occasions, but have realised that being right handed, it is simply always going to be my strongest hand. It's too late now for me to start playing left-handed. So, I've learn't to live with it... and you can.

Here's my two cents worth and by no means a cure because different things work for different people and golf swings:

Well mate, I struck success today - with a few things I tried that seemed so simple...

I too have been coming over it, hitting from the top occasionally, sliding back and getting stuck behind (on the right leg) during the downswing - all resulting in that occasional ugly hook.

Today I was hitting the blades (and firstly) I kept my head very still - in attempt to keep the spine stable and stop the sliding back.

Secondly, I pictured myself pivoting perfectly around my spine position throughout the golfswing and getting my left shoulder tip right under my chin (when hands reach the horizontal @ the top of the backswing) hence completing a 'full' shoulder turn. Also doing the complete opposite on completion of the downswing (right shoulder under chin at completion of swing - before looking away from impact and facing the target at the end). For me it comes naturally, just trying to explain how it feels.

Thirdly, if you dont have the flexibility to do the 'full-winded' shoulder turn, just open up you hands a little more on the backswing as you take the club away (so toe of the club points to the sky, at the point when the club shaft is pointing directly away from the target, when approx 1/3 of the backswing is complete) . This helps take the hook right out of play, as sometimes I take the club back too square or 'closed'. That often causes the ball to start at the target and then hook.

I noticed these 3 things today stopped the sliding, hooks and was even hitting gentle fades towards the end. What a difference...

Another tool for ya and a possible 4th: Try keep the left heel on the ground during your backswing (this is hard to do I know). This will add stability to your swing plane and helps get the weight to the left side more efficiently on the downswing.

Bottom line I've found is: If you sway and dont shoulderturn to a degree, it will make you hit cuts and lose lots of power. If you do the same thing and dont get the weight through to the left side on the downswing, the result is over the top and it goes left.

These things may work for me, but this is all about what works best for you ;).

Johnny Canuck
28th March 2011, 02:47 AM
Simmsy, Get someone to stand in front of you and have them hold a club against your head so that you can't sway forward. Get used to that feeling and then start worrying about stronger hands, etc.. You'll be amazed at the results from sitting back and not swaying.

simmsy
28th March 2011, 10:24 AM
Jc- when u say sitting back do u mean not to be balancing on the ball of my feet but with weight on all of the foot?
Hope that makes sense.

idgolfguy
28th March 2011, 10:45 AM
At rest - equally balanced front and back of foot. Weight tends to be on inside of both feet.
On backswing, as you pivot back, you weight will favor back instep with a little more on the heel. Right ball of foot still needs to be there or you spin out.
On downswing, bulk of weight will transition to left instep across ball and heel.
At impact more bias towards left of foot. Heel is required for tension and prevent spin out and power leak.
On completion, weight is more toward the left heel due to rotation.

idgolfguy
28th March 2011, 10:49 AM
Google Visiontrack. It will help weight transfer, sway and club routing. This will help alignment, stance and grip. You can use mine.

Hogan's Bogan
28th March 2011, 10:50 AM
This is why I'm third guessing posting up my swing. Objective help is welcome, but just as I wouldn't seek it from any of my foursome (who invariably get it wrong anf have far worse swing than my own), nor do I think so many competing opinions help either. So I won't offer remedy, just an observation. Your back leg moves noticeably forwards on your practices swings, less so on the actual swing, but something is clearly going on south of the belt buckle. At the risk of offering advice, I doubt the hands have anything to do with it.

Yossarian
28th March 2011, 11:01 AM
Swing better.

simmsy
28th March 2011, 11:04 AM
The back leg moves forward because it is a practice swing and all I'm doing at that stage is thinking of where the shot is going.

Thanks idg I may take u up on that offer if I can get around to seeing u sometime soon. Cheers.

simmsy
28th March 2011, 11:05 AM
Haha. Thanks Yoss. Ur gonna make a great lawyer one day mate. ;)

Hogan's Bogan
28th March 2011, 11:39 AM
The back leg moves forward because it is a practice swing and all I'm doing at that stage is thinking of where the shot is going.
Then I think it's a bad habit to ingrain. A practice swing should be the visual reminder of how you want your swing to 'look' or feel. There's movement in your actual swing too, just less.

simmsy
28th March 2011, 11:58 AM
Huh huh. Ok thanks.

razaar
28th March 2011, 03:23 PM
Simmsy, some how I get the feeling that you are really confused about this sway thing in your swing. The vid I posted only gives a picture of the right moves but it doesn't give the feelings or the reason why it is important to swing this way. Whenever teachers define a set of fundamentals, somebody who is a great player appears to break all their rules. In this case it is Colin Mongomerie.
Monty has a noticable hip sway on the backswing but through great tempo and an inside loop at the top manages to achieve the correct amount of hip slide and turn in the through-swing every time.

The reason for not swinging like Monty is the golf swing is a circular action around a central pivot. A sway of the hips is a linear action parallel to the ball/target line. The simple way to perfrom a circular action without any complications, is if everything moves in a circular direction. That includes the feet, knees and hips. The pivot point for the backswing is the body's centre of gravity (midpoint) while standing. This point is 2 inches in front of the sacrum, at the level of the second of its five fused vertebrae. This midpoint will move slightly to the left as the backswing progresses and the left shoulder turns behind the ball. The shifting of weight to the right (arms etc) requires a counter balance in the lower body to maintain balance.

What occurs in the lower body in a good backswing, is a shift of weight moving onto the ball of the left foot and back on to the right heel with the right knee staying in its flexed address position or close to it. There has to be resistance in the left knee and hip as the upper body turns behind the ball for that hip to lead and pull the left shoulder in the though-swing for power with the least amount of effort. The key is for the weight to shift in a circular movement - ball of the left foot and right heel in the backswing, back onto the back part of the left foot on the through-swing - pivoting around the midpoint. You can practice this movement with your hands in your pockets any old time.:)

Johnny Canuck
28th March 2011, 04:29 PM
Sorry Simmo. Sitting back as in not sliding the body through before impact. I was having issues with it a while back and the club to the side of the head fixed it pretty quick.

TourFit
28th March 2011, 07:47 PM
Sorry Simmo. Sitting back as in not sliding the body through before impact. I was having issues with it a while back and the club to the side of the head fixed it pretty quick.

I'd be happy to help you with that!!! Especially if your head looks like that damn avatar.