PDA

View Full Version : Bergsey vs Rubin - Place your bets!

rubin
17th March 2011, 06:57 PM
This sunday at Mt Lawley GC.... Home of the Tourfit.

Special commentary by NuffietheGolfMan

Based on my own track record, im picking Bergsey to win 8 & 7, with a late but pathetic comeback by myself to make a difference to the outcome. :mrgreen:

Yossarian
17th March 2011, 06:58 PM
Bergsey 3 up. You'll be able to find more balls at Lawley. The greens will be tough though!

bergsey
17th March 2011, 07:31 PM
$100 on Rubin. Please direct me to the Indian bookmaker to place the bet.

rubin
17th March 2011, 07:53 PM
wot do u play off bergs?

hocko
17th March 2011, 08:15 PM
wot do u play off bergs?
Less than you but not by a lot.
This will be a game of form.

Yossarian
17th March 2011, 08:25 PM
19, maybe less now.

rubin
17th March 2011, 08:34 PM
Less than you but not by a lot.
This will be a game of form.

19, maybe less now.

so more evenly matched than i thought..... This coud be interesting!

bergsey
17th March 2011, 08:41 PM
19 (18.6)

adlo
17th March 2011, 09:24 PM
Bergsey will win 7 & 6. Has a game to suit a park lands course, will enjoy the extra width at MLCC, and will be better suited to the greens (assuming they'll be quicker getting ready for the ML Open).

Yossarian
17th March 2011, 09:36 PM
But Rubin will find his ball three fairways over. Any good at heroic recovery shots rubin? :D

Johnny Canuck
17th March 2011, 09:40 PM
How can someone win 3 up Yoss?

Bergsey is overconfident. He'll squeak past Cliff Manley 2&1.

Tourfat will fail to reveal the fact that the only reason he joined the course is because he thought it was called Mt. Lolly.

rubin
17th March 2011, 09:41 PM
But Rubin will find his ball three fairways over. Any good at heroic recovery shots rubin? :D

hahahaha

occasionally! Playing KB doesnt really allow me to practice!

In all honesty, i've got the driver working fine right now. so if its a long-ish course, i can go driver, short iron and stay in contention. BUT, ive never played ML before.

Yossarian
17th March 2011, 09:44 PM
How can someone win 3 up Yoss?

Bergsey is overconfident. He'll squeak past Cliff Manley 2&1.

Tourfat will fail to reveal the fact that the only reason he joined the course is because he thought it was called Mt. Lolly.

Good point. You know what I mean.

rubin
17th March 2011, 09:46 PM
ok, this is starting to get serious......

who the **** is cliff manley!?

Johnny Canuck
17th March 2011, 09:52 PM
It's hard to believe that cliff can lose hitting 300m dead straight and getting up and down from 80 ALL DAY!

Yossarian
17th March 2011, 09:53 PM
With his 64 lob wedge. Senior tour in no time! **** he was good.

rubin
17th March 2011, 09:54 PM
shit..... i'd love to be able to do that!

idgolfguy
17th March 2011, 10:45 PM

Mt. Lolly - nearly had an asthma attack from laughing so much!

adlo
17th March 2011, 11:35 PM
Agreed, awesome call Canuck.

TourFit
18th March 2011, 10:50 AM

:smt082

Now that is funny!

Even though it is at my expense, I LOL :smt011

BTW, :smt116

Pieface
18th March 2011, 11:22 AM
Bergsey 4 and 2. From what i saw the other week Bergsey hits the ball at least a few strokes better than 19.

Happy for you to prove me wrong though rubin. Just keep your head in the match if you start rough.

TourFit
18th March 2011, 02:39 PM
Bergsey at Dormy 3 on the 16th tee and wins the hole Pieface? That's a hole that could give us a result, for sure. Short Par 4 definately birdie-able.

My prediction for the Bergsey-Rubin matchplay is... Nuffie!

(He'll be the ONLY winner, 'cos he's the ONLY one that likes the sound of his voice.) And before the smart arse comments come, ask Yoss how quiet I was the other day! ;)

TourFit
18th March 2011, 02:40 PM
Happy for you to prove me wrong though rubin. Just keep your head in the match if you start rough.

I think his head will be done in by Nuffie...!

rubin
18th March 2011, 04:33 PM
I think his head will be done in by Nuffie...!

It might be hard keeping the head in the match. Especially considering the commenatry Nuff gives himself!

I've never heard somebody tear shreds of themselves like the Nuff.

Nuffie
18th March 2011, 07:00 PM
It might be hard keeping the head in the match. Especially considering the commenatry Nuff gives himself!

I've never heard somebody tear shreds of themselves like the Nuff.

Co-incidently Rubin - had a breakthrough lesson last week off Glenn Carbon. He said my swing was great, actually enjoyed watching me hit ball after ball...

But he did say - unless I can somehow reduce the tension in the upper body and 'relax' more, that is what's causing the poor timing and all the bad shots, missed putts - everything. Tension makes you hit from the top of the swing, not complete your backswing and restricts your follow through. Unbelieveable... no one has ever told me that before and he is right.

Time to stop playing like 'Maverick' and start thinking like 'Iceman'.

Shadesy
18th March 2011, 09:28 PM
Nuff... Where is Glenn now? Tried to get a lesson with him at MGC but told no longer there?

Golfnut
18th March 2011, 10:26 PM
Time to stop playing like 'Maverick' and start thinking like 'Iceman'.

Probably the other way round would work better Nuff....Iceman was always tense.....maybe try to play like Goose next time out ;)

Gotta love Carbon eh!

rubin
18th March 2011, 10:48 PM
from what i've been told he's gone off and done his own thing. Im not sure where though.

By the way nuff..... Are you on a TopGun diet lately?

idgolfguy
19th March 2011, 07:55 AM
After all the experimenting, smart move going to Glenn, Nuff.

idgolfguy
19th March 2011, 08:08 AM
Played 9 with Bergsey yesterday, he came in with +4 when it could have easily been +7.
Tough to call as Bergsey has to give around 4 shots. This will also be his 2nd or 3rd matchplay ever. If Rubin, gets his alignment on his tee correct, he is coming in with about 10 pars and birdies. Bergsey will easily match him par for par. Both off them are going to have some shocking wipes - but the one with more strokes at this handicap level will win.

The reality is that both Rubin and Bergsey strike the ball about 10-12 shots better than their handicap. Think of it as a boxing match - same weight division. Bergesy has longer reach, Rubin is younger and has little more weight behind him.

Going to be a great game. Wish I could have been there.

TourFit
19th March 2011, 10:55 AM
And I have no reach, no age advantage and have more weight behind me than both of them together.

(Will still kick their arses tho!)

rubin
19th March 2011, 06:27 PM
Rubin is younger and has little more weight behind him.....

What are you trying to say ID?

Cosmopolite
19th March 2011, 07:12 PM

Bergsey is a bean pole?

Golfnut
19th March 2011, 10:38 PM
Bergsey is a bean pole?

No that's Hocko.

rubin
19th March 2011, 11:07 PM
No that's Hocko.

nah......

Hocko = Gumby
Nuffie = Wippet
Bergsey = ???

bergsey
19th March 2011, 11:54 PM
188cm and 93 kg....

so twice as tall as nuffie and twice the weight of hocko !

idgolfguy
20th March 2011, 01:47 AM
I'm half the height of Bergsey and the same weight.

idgolfguy
20th March 2011, 02:01 AM
Shot for shot, Bergsey has to make four birdies to four of your pars. if I was an Indian bookie, I know who I'd be asking to chunk a couple of wedge shots. And it won't be the handsome one.

Btw, I had a Par comp round today - came in with +1. What so great about that you ask? Lakes front 9 was -2. Lakes back 9 was +3. I had four birdies with nothing further away than 7 feet. Made both par 5s in 2 with around 20' for eagles. I should have had 5 birdies but missed a 7' by a bee's proverbial. Poor putting resulted in the double and 2 bogies on the 9.

45 on the front, and 36 on the back. My best ever in that 9 by 2 shots. What a great game!

idgolfguy
20th March 2011, 02:05 AM
nah......

Hocko = Gumby
Nuffie = Whippet
Bergsey = 'The Bourbonator' or the 'Handsome One' to the ladies

Fixed!

rubin
20th March 2011, 11:43 AM
Shot for shot, Bergsey has to make four birdies to four of your pars. if I was an Indian bookie, I know who I'd be asking to chunk a couple of wedge shots. And it won't be the handsome one.

Btw, I had a Par comp round today - came in with +1. What so great about that you ask? Lakes front 9 was -2. Lakes back 9 was +3. I had four birdies with nothing further away than 7 feet. Made both par 5s in 2 with around 20' for eagles. I should have had 5 birdies but missed a 7' by a bee's proverbial. Poor putting resulted in the double and 2 bogies on the 9.

45 on the front, and 36 on the back. My best ever in that 9 by 2 shots. What a great game!

Nce shootin IDG. My uncle was saying last night that the lakes is a tough stretch at the moment.

bergsey
20th March 2011, 11:53 AM
Idg, looks like the 9 hole comp we played on Friday isn't used for handicap purposes. Would have likely dropped down to 18 if so. I think it is up to the club to determine whether they bother or not.

Won the comp though, $12 ! woohoo

I may need that extra shot against Rubin today, if he plays like you reckon he can play then i could be in for some trouble.....

rubin
20th March 2011, 11:56 AM
Idg, looks like the 9 hole comp we played on Friday isn't used for handicap purposes. Would have likely dropped down to 18 if so. I think it is up to the club to determine whether they bother or not.

Won the comp though, $12 ! woohoo

I may need that extra shot against Rubin today, if he plays like you reckon he can play then i could be in for some trouble.....

Mate potential/ability doesnt mean a thing when i play! I occasionaly show my ability, but only when it doesnt matter.

At the end of the day, i prefer a shit golf day to any day of work. Today's going to be a nice day for a walk around the park too.

bergsey
20th March 2011, 12:06 PM
absolutely !

idgolfguy
20th March 2011, 02:37 PM
Have fun guys.

bergsey
20th March 2011, 07:41 PM
Bergsey wins 3 & 1 after not leading in the match until the 15th

A lot of people would be happy that Rubin has been eliminated, he hit some really nice shots and was a tough opponent!

Thanks for the game guys, bring on Yoss !

timah!
20th March 2011, 07:50 PM
... bring on Yoss !

We're still talking golf here, yeah?

rubin
20th March 2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the day Fit. Was thoroughly enjoyable.

Good win to Bergsey. Unfortunately I fell apart from about 13 onwards, and Bergsey came home with wins on 5 of the last 8 holes.

But i'd have to agree with timah... When you say bring on Yoss, u are refering to golf? Cause with yoss, it can go either way.

timah!
20th March 2011, 07:57 PM
How'd you hit it Rubes? Have you kept on with your improving run?

rubin
20th March 2011, 08:02 PM
aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh no.

The new 3 wood is a keeper. I was smashing that all day long without a problem, shorter irons were ok to pretty good, but because my driver was shite today, i didnt really get a chance to use them.:smt090

Hit one solid drive on 2, bombed it over the hill and then get down there and Fit's ball is 2 metres in front! I dunno what happened there........
Longer irons were rubbish. everything was going left, just to veriying amounts.

Fit's now got the 5 iron in the proto heads, and he's putting in the KBS X Shaft for me to try. Once ive got the new crubs sorted, lessons are next on the cards. I need t find some consistency, and its pissing me off! :smt092

timah!
20th March 2011, 08:11 PM
Yep, it seems like we're at very similar stages of our games.

I finally had a pretty good round (all 10 holes of it for my pennants win - see the pennants thread).

I've finally started accepting that there is no need for me to hit driver all the time. I hit it 3 times in 10 holes. I'd love to hit it more, but when i'm hitting irons well, there's no need.

Have you thought about a few rounds of no driver?

rubin
20th March 2011, 08:14 PM
Yep, it seems like we're at very similar stages of our games.

I finally had a pretty good round (all 10 holes of it for my pennants win - see the pennants thread).

I've finally started accepting that there is no need for me to hit driver all the time. I hit it 3 times in 10 holes. I'd love to hit it more, but when i'm hitting irons well, there's no need.

Have you thought about a few rounds of no driver?

i'll be doing that more now with the 13.5* 3 wood. Im putting that out to about 250 or so. Im going to give it some very serious range time this week, and get some video in as well. I need to know what im doing so i can work out for myself where its going wrong. The boys today were telling me i have a very long backswing particularly with the driver, so there's one thing that is going to be worked on.....

hocko
20th March 2011, 08:43 PM
i'll be doing that more now with the 13.5* 3 wood. Im putting that out to about 250 or so. Im going to give it some very serious range time this week, and get some video in as well. I need to know what im doing so i can work out for myself where its going wrong. The boys today were telling me i have a very long backswing particularly with the driver, so there's one thing that is going to be worked on.....
Is this really true?

rubin
20th March 2011, 08:48 PM
total runout i would say it would close (may be a slight exaggeration for effect)...... When i was trying it out demo in the shop, the guy reckoned the machine was saying 280, but i would have thought in yards, regardless of which i was saying bull shit to those numbers.

when i used it today, i was easliy longer than nuffs drives, and up around Fits on occasion. Fit had a crack from about 220 to 230 out from the green and nailed it to pin high. so i wouldn't say it would be a stretch..... I wouldnt consistently hit it that fair though.

If it got it to 220 to 230 consistently, i'd be happy with that.

EDIT: I marked it on the GPS for curiosity, Fit hit it 228 metres off the deck.

hocko
20th March 2011, 08:53 PM
Noice....If i can hit a fairway then i would be happy with 250 consistently..........with my driver.

rubin
20th March 2011, 08:57 PM
Noice....If i can hit a fairway then i would be happy with 250 consistently..........with my driver.

next time out mate, have a crack. Its a tiny little head on it, but a very solid feel, and it just goes and goes and goes.

Im actually slightly concerned for the driver, I may have a club in my bag, that will be doing nothing!

adlo
20th March 2011, 09:30 PM
So Cliff Manley has been eliminated from the WA Matchplay?

Am I understanding this thread?

bergsey
20th March 2011, 09:40 PM
But i'd have to agree with timah... When you say bring on Yoss, u are refering to golf? Cause with yoss, it can go either way.

Bring on... not off ! :)

rubin
20th March 2011, 09:42 PM
So Cliff Manley has been eliminated from the WA Matchplay?

Am I understanding this thread?

ok not cool anymore.

who the **** is cliff manley?

idgolfguy
20th March 2011, 09:52 PM
... Shot for shot, Bergsey has to make four birdies to four of your pars. if I was an Indian bookie, I know who I'd be asking to chunk a couple of wedge shots. And it won't be the handsome one.
Hmmm... It certainly wasn't this Indian.

Well played, Bergsey. It's certainly testament to your mettle to take the lead at the 15th and hold on.

Commiserations, Rubin - bit of work to go with the big stick. Know how frustating that feels. I wouldn't totally give-up on it. If the 3 wood is good - there no reason why the 1w can't be good too. Shorten the shaft to your 3 wood length. The driver is the scud in your amoury and no army would go to war with out it.

adlo
20th March 2011, 10:42 PM
ok not cool anymore.

who the **** is cliff manley?

I think a chillaxitive is the prescription here.

rubin
20th March 2011, 10:45 PM
I think a chillaxitive is the prescription here.

mate, im chilled.... I just want to know who the hell Cliff Manley is?

rubin
20th March 2011, 10:48 PM
Hmmm... It certainly wasn't this Indian.

Well played, Bergsey. It's certainly testament to your mettle to take the lead at the 15th and hold on.

Commiserations, Rubin - bit of work to go with the big stick. Know how frustating that feels. I wouldn't totally give-up on it. If the 3 wood is good - there no reason why the 1w can't be good too. Shorten the shaft to your 3 wood length. The driver is the scud in your amoury and no army would go to war with out it.

When I get an opportunity, the entire bag is going to the TourFit house of fun for a test. Im thinking driver down to 44.75, 3 wood can stay as is, Hybrid can possibly stay as is (i havent hit it much yet), and new iron shafts.

The KBS X-stiff shaft is going in the Nike Proto 5 iron this week, i'll test that out and see how we go.

adlo
20th March 2011, 10:48 PM
An iconic figure from ISG. You just seem to enjoy my nickname for you so much, I thought I would keep using it.

Yossarian
24th March 2011, 02:21 PM
Best golfer ever!

Yossarian
24th March 2011, 05:13 PM
PS, Go Yoss!