PDA

View Full Version : HEAVY Putter recommendations

Pinglauncher
22nd June 2005, 06:17 PM
I have recently been experiencing problems with decelerating on putts. Some days are not too bad and some are pretty tragic and it is costing me shots week in and week out.

Kwantm (god love him) suggested trying a very heavy putter and gave me an old Cobra putter he had filled the shaft with sand. The head is also heavy.

Although it is not the prettiest thing around it really smoothed my putting out on Sunday. Took my Macgregor 6.5k out this afternoon and was having my old problems.

Suggestions urgently needed on putters that may fit the bill. Have contemplated a belly 2 ball cut down to 34". I know there are Scotty's that are 330 - 350 gm heads. Any other thoughts.

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

kwantfm
22nd June 2005, 06:37 PM
I was reading Tom Watson's classic "How to Get Up and Down" and he has some really sensible equipment advice.  It also demonstrates how long ago the book was written as he says the average pitching wedge has 51-52* loft!!!

He definitely suggested that a heavier putter would help a lot of golfers.

Mate, definitely try the 2-ball Mid cut down to standard length, Speirsy for one would recommend it!

Jono
22nd June 2005, 06:59 PM
I've tried heavy putters, and whilst I agree that it gives you a smoother stroke, it seems to take away some of the feel for distance. It does for me, anyway.

I've recently acquired a Cobra putter with a 335g head. That seem just about right for me.

Chris, you should also experiment with butt weighting. T will tell you, but you can just put 20g-50g dynabolts under the grip and see how you like the feel. The added weight near the hands seems to decrease the amount of hand deceleration and stop you flipping the wrists. I think Tezza uses balance certified, which is a more sophisticated (but more expensive) way of doing it.

Fishman Dan
22nd June 2005, 07:58 PM
Ping,

I had the same problem at the start of the year, but i went the opposite way. I bought an Anser-style putter (Teardrop) for bugger all, which gave me more feeling of guiding the putter-head path, and building a solid putting stroke.

I think i justified this at the New Brighton OzGolf day. After missing 3 fairly simple (2-6') putts, i got it together and putted well for the rest of the day, culminating in a 3oneday defying, double-breaking downhill slider into the guts of the hole, to bury Jono in a Matchplay friendly. 8)

Did i get carried away? :P

Confidence grew, and now I've benched it for a 2-ball i picked up :wink:, but if i get yippy again i know i've got an alternate handy.

kwantfm
22nd June 2005, 08:33 PM
T will tell you, but you can just put 20g-50g dynabolts under the grip

Jono,

You're giving away all of my secrets!!!

Cheers,
T

macleod
23rd June 2005, 08:18 AM
wishon smoooth 6 with all the tungsten weights installed in head.

that way you can go from heaviest, down a notch for each weight until you find your match.

i loved mine until the fateful day at MacLeod GC where the weights popped out as we went over a bump in a cart.

don't let this put you off, it was my fauly as I had they jury-rigged with blu-tack on the medallion from experiementing with a different weight before the round.

normally you'd have it sealed with a dot of epoxy with the weight installed but i had been testing different stuff.

blutack was perfectly fine but just copped a massive bump and they flew out...i know not where :(

haven't had time to buy a new medallion ;)

AndyP
23rd June 2005, 08:39 AM
I used to use a heavy putter (or at least it was in comparison to the one I am currently using). It was an Opst something, nothing fancy, still sitting in the cupboard.

I stuck with it for ages, but in the end made a change. I found it too tough to use on the shorter putts, as I felt I was just tapping at the ball, instead of a smooth stroke, and it would fly off the face.

miro
23rd June 2005, 08:41 AM
You are not the first with the idea. There is a company called just that:

http://www.heavyputter.com

These things get some love on the boards in the States. Maybe worth getting one and having a go.

Jarro
23rd June 2005, 09:08 AM
so does anyone have a ny real experience with this Balance certified stuff :?

sounds interesting .. i might give it a go with my new putter.

macleod
23rd June 2005, 09:52 AM
so does anyone have a ny real experience with this Balance certified stuff  :?

sounds interesting .. i might give it a go with my new putter.
peter shaw at oxley has the putter inserts, not sure on cost.

chris mccourt will do you one handmade as a few of his clients like the backweighting concept as per my phoenixx shaft.

which reminds me...i plum frogot to give it to you at beerwah adn then missed nudgee! doh!

markTHEblake
23rd June 2005, 01:49 PM
i am having similar problem with my putter, but i am just gunna use lead tape or a couple of sinkers

McMw
23rd June 2005, 02:02 PM
problem (I see) with a really heavy putter would be on those downhill sliders you may come across...

macleod
23rd June 2005, 04:19 PM
i am having similar problem with my putter, but i am just gunna use lead tape or a couple of sinkers

saaay, did you go to the hollywood upstairs school of clubmaking too? :D

one of chris's client does this as i would too if i had some more gear. easy peasy stuff.

get that grip off and create a nice removable plug the sits sort of flush...

markTHEblake
23rd June 2005, 04:21 PM
no mate, i am gunna put the weights on the clubhead end.

if the putter head became any lighter relative to the rest of the club, it would start flipping over.