PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Macgregor Pro M & Pro C Irons

oz
14th March 2011, 09:57 AM
Who has had a play with these (either the cavs or blades)? What were your impressions of them?

I have my eye on a combo set in my specs (2* flat). Interested in how they play.

Thanks

PeteyD
14th March 2011, 10:31 AM
Henno loves his.

henno
14th March 2011, 11:30 AM
They are excellent. I have a set of the Pro-CM and they are fantastic irons. If the price is good, buy them.

oz
14th March 2011, 12:40 PM
Just waiting to confirm shipping costs. How do you find the transition from cav to blade? Is the cav reasonably forgiving in thhe 3-6 irons (given the blade-styling)? It is a CM set I am looking at.

henno
14th March 2011, 12:42 PM
The cavity is not very forgiving at all. I actually prefer the blades, but make no mistake the 3-iron (and 4-iron for that matter) are butter-knives.

But don't let that deter you; they are great irons.

oz
14th March 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm not too concerned. I've played blades and blade combos before. I guess I was just hoping for a little help out with my long irons. Never really been a strength of mine. But it is the playability of the mid & short irons that I am really looking for. Hopefully can seal the deal this week.

markTHEblake
14th March 2011, 06:22 PM
When Greg Norman sold MacGregor he changed from using his Macgregor blades to Taylor Made shovels, and said something like they were the best irons he had hit - yet they are only TM.
I guess Greg isnt a flusher anymore.

henno
14th March 2011, 09:14 PM
I guess Greg isnt a flusher anymore.

Are you suggesting that professional golfers tout the grandeur of their current equipment based purely on performance and without any inkling of bias from the sponsorship pay cheque that arrives each month? ;-)

markTHEblake
14th March 2011, 11:34 PM
Nah. Greg came to realise that blades were crap and custom fitting was the shizzle - its right there in his media release.

Golfnut
15th March 2011, 01:35 AM
Are you suggesting that professional golfers tout the grandeur of their current equipment based purely on performance and without any inkling of bias from the sponsorship pay cheque that arrives each month? ;-)

:lol: great post henno.....put simply "Money Talks"

Ferrins
15th March 2011, 07:33 AM
I like these clubs and have been very close to buying them on a few occasions. They look the goods but there is something that changes my mind at the last minute. At the end of the day there blades with no style, that no one wants(except henno) from a has been company.

3oneday
15th March 2011, 09:00 AM
Nah. Greg came to realise that blades were crap and custom fitting was the shizzle - its right there in his media release.

You'd have to be certain he's using the R9 TP shovels we use or the B or C stamps that the pros use before making that statement. The B stamped R9 TP's would be as bladey as the macgregors.

TaylorMade are king of marketing spin Blakey, you should know that :)

oz
18th March 2011, 08:45 PM
Deal worked. New macs on their way to me. 20* hybrid in there too - just in case the 3 iron is too much woman for me.
:)