PDA

View Full Version : Timah's! Swing

timah!
13th March 2011, 04:18 PM
So after a few up and down rounds, I had decided to put in some range time with the camera. Martin has some vids of my swing, but I wanted some of my own.

This is definitely a work in progress, there are things that I know I need to work on:

My biggest problem is that instead of rotating through the ball, I seem to dip. There are a few shots where this is really noticeable, and some where its not so bad. I also think I need to work on my take away/upswing a bit, which may help with my rotation through the ball.
There are a lot of instances where i'm not moving through the ball enough, and I think as I improve rotation, I'll help this issue as well.

I'm hitting 9iron in this video.
Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXnFzHwfA8

MegaWatty
13th March 2011, 04:44 PM
Not bad I reckon. The one point I'd make is that your ball position looks a long way forward for a 9 iron.

Over to the other swing guru's.

timah!
13th March 2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah, it's just inside my left heel. Its something that Martin and I are working on - playing everything inside the left heel, with the depth of the right foot being different for each club, nearer the ball for shorter/punch shots, further back for longer irons/woods.

MegaWatty
13th March 2011, 07:21 PM
Fair enough. I haven't heard of that before, but I don't pro-actively search for different teaching methods. I could imagine it'd be hard to get the hands forward of the ball, creating the correct impact position when the ball is all the way up there.

Once again, that's just what I know.

timah!
13th March 2011, 07:26 PM
It's weird, I actually struggle more on the longer clubs more than the short.

BroKar
13th March 2011, 07:34 PM
Swing looks pretty clean to me, I did notice the ball being forward like Mega, do you know the reasoning behind it Tim?

timah!
13th March 2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah, its a Hogan thing:
This explains it better than I can:

Progressive ball positioning (http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/lost_fundamentals_hogan_4.html)

Stuartd147
13th March 2011, 08:46 PM
I agree with the guys on ball position and you seem to be standing pretty closed..however on the positive your swing, and especially the finish, remind me of Tom Lehman.....not a bad swing really...Stu

Ferrins
13th March 2011, 09:20 PM
Fair enough. I haven't heard of that before, but I don't pro-actively search for different teaching methods. I could imagine it'd be hard to get the hands forward of the ball, creating the correct impact position when the ball is all the way up there.

Once again, that's just what I know.

It's in any Greg Norman book

Ferrins
13th March 2011, 09:22 PM
Progressive bullshite ball positioning method. Try Sam Sneads approach instead.

Ferrins
13th March 2011, 09:24 PM
So after a few up and down rounds, I had decided to put in some range time with the camera. Martin has some vids of my swing, but I wanted some of my own.

This is definitely a work in progress, there are things that I know I need to work on:

My biggest problem is that instead of rotating through the ball, I seem to dip. There are a few shots where this is really noticeable, and some where its not so bad. I also think I need to work on my take away/upswing a bit, which may help with my rotation through the ball.
There are a lot of instances where i'm not moving through the ball enough, and I think as I improve rotation, I'll help this issue as well.

I'm hitting 9iron in this video.
Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXnFzHwfA8

Fk that looks boring, glad I don't practice.

Iain
13th March 2011, 09:29 PM
You look to be popping out a bit on the takeaway ie. You don't look like your bringing your hands in as your first movement rather they are going straight back or out a little? Other than that, it looks pretty good, to my my eye anyway.

timah!
13th March 2011, 09:43 PM
You look to be popping out a bit on the takeaway ie. You don't look like your bringing your hands in as your first movement rather they are going straight back or out a little? Other than that, it looks pretty good, to my my eye anyway.

Definitely, I'm not taking the club back 'to the wall' at all. It's an old ingrained part of my swing that will be changed o er time. ATM, when I try to do it, I **** my wrists too much and pull straight back inside.

timah!
13th March 2011, 09:48 PM
I agree with the guys on ball position and you seem to be standing pretty closed..however on the positive your swing, and especially the finish, remind me of Tom Lehman.....not a bad swing really...Stu

Thanks Stu. Feet look closed, hips are well open. But I don't think I have it 100% yet.

Iain
13th March 2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks Stu. Feet look closed, hips are well open. But I don't think I have it 100% yet.

I thought with the shorter clubs, the feet were open? And they closed progressively as the clubs got longer?

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt18/perfectpractice/Driver%20Index/Ball%20Position/BenHoganSetUp.jpg

Picture was linked from here - http://3jack.blogspot.com/2009/08/cp-vs-cf-release-with-driver.html

timah!
13th March 2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah, sort of. I tend to be not quite as per Hogan. Nearly level with short irons. But I think this relates a bit to why I've gone backwards a bit. I think I get a bit to aggressive. The last few weeks I've been feeling like I can't get into position.

razaar
14th March 2011, 05:21 PM
timah

Give this a try. It is the only way to coil and uncoil the hips for those of us with normal flexibility. It served Ben Hogan well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTM9bfD54&feature=relmfu

davepuppies
14th March 2011, 05:53 PM
Timah,

looks quite good....

whilst i will leave the detailed assesments to those who truly know there stuff, i have noticed

* Your stance is closed, however shoulders/hips open
* Your seem to refrain from moving your weight forward through impact at all
* slight over the top movement.

I suffer from 2 of the above when i am hitting it poorly, and as razaar has said, it all comes down to how my hips are clearing.

dan
14th March 2011, 07:38 PM
Decent swing. Through impact is a bit odd but I can't pick out the problem without slow-mo. You do seem to spend a lot of time looking down the range.

timah!
14th March 2011, 08:04 PM
Dave,
Bang on about not moving through the ball. It's on my list of things to work on. I think if I get that sorted I'll be able to compress upon the ball even more.

I think my stance looks a lot more closed than it was, but perhaps that's only how it was feeling to me.

What do you mean by OTT movement?

Timah,

looks quite good....

whilst i will leave the detailed assesments to those who truly know there stuff, i have noticed

* Your stance is closed, however shoulders/hips open
* Your seem to refrain from moving your weight forward through impact at all
* slight over the top movement.

I suffer from 2 of the above when i am hitting it poorly, and as razaar has said, it all comes down to how my hips are clearing.

timah!
14th March 2011, 08:05 PM
timah

Give this a try. It is the only way to coil and uncoil the hips for those of us with normal flexibility. It served Ben Hogan well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTM9bfD54&feature=relmfu

Thanks Ray,
It's not loading on my phone so I'll check it out when I get home on Friday.

timah!
14th March 2011, 08:06 PM
Decent swing. Through impact is a bit odd but I can't pick out the problem without slow-mo. You do seem to spend a lot of time looking down the range.

Hands or body through impact Dan? I seem to dip my hips a lot which is a result of my current poor rotation. Might be what you're thinking?
Pre or post shot looking down the range?

dan
14th March 2011, 08:41 PM
body and pre.

davepuppies
14th March 2011, 09:14 PM
Dave,
Bang on about not moving through the ball. It's on my list of things to work on. I think if I get that sorted I'll be able to compress upon the ball even more.

I think my stance looks a lot more closed than it was, but perhaps that's only how it was feeling to me.

What do you mean by OTT movement?

Over The Top....

As above i cant see it properly without slower video, but do you hit fades/slices or pulls? Obviously i can see your ball flight from the video...... but i would guess a high fade?

timah!
14th March 2011, 10:30 PM
Over The Top....

As above i cant see it properly without slower video, but do you hit fades/slices or pulls? Obviously i can see your ball flight from the video...... but i would guess a high fade?
Ball flight could be anything. It used to be a high fade but that is slowly changing. Irons are pretty good but driver is very inconsistent. Where I'm not set up right or fall away from the ball it's definitely a fade/slice.

popper81
24th January 2012, 08:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CsB963LboM&context=C361bd6bADOEgsToPDskIY c7hwqvLJnjJVJiqrKGjp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj3re7skvAs&feature=context&context=C361bd 6bADOEgsToPDskIYc7hwqvLJnjJVJiqrKGjp

Sort of grainy.....

timah!
24th January 2012, 09:02 PM
Man I hate my impact....:smt087

Lagerlover
24th January 2012, 09:03 PM
okay, without stating the obvious.. last footage bit too samson, yet big improvement on first video... way too grant denyer

timah!
24th January 2012, 09:08 PM
Samson?

Lagerlover
24th January 2012, 09:17 PM
okay on second viewing the blonde locks aren't as long as first thought...

no wonder you can try all these different bits of equipment, the royalties from your days with backdoor boys must be huge!!!

timah!
24th January 2012, 09:20 PM
The locks are gone... :(

Lagerlover
24th January 2012, 09:29 PM
.. but the beautiful harmonies remain, thank god

grandmasterb
25th January 2012, 07:36 PM
To me it looks like your so keen get to the follow through that your rushing/not finishing your back swing and stuck on the left side.

timah!
22nd June 2012, 09:42 PM
Some swings from tonight...how OTT am I?!?!

http://youtu.be/oOe8wMlX9WI

http://youtu.be/OjkewZQrJbE

​Need to try and find a way to stop the 'dip'...still working on it!

Steve57
22nd June 2012, 09:49 PM
Tim what range is that?

timah!
22nd June 2012, 09:51 PM
Tee time at Algester.
What time does the Riverlakes range close? Since the Logan one shut have been on the lookout for a new regular one.

Steve57
22nd June 2012, 09:54 PM
It closes on dark unfortunately.
Logan City is open later but I'm not sure what time.

timah!
22nd June 2012, 09:57 PM
Logan is open a bit later, but is just too dark to see anything.

Lobsta
22nd June 2012, 09:58 PM
Tee time at Algester.
What time does the Riverlakes range close? Since the Logan one shut have been on the lookout for a new regular one.

Wouldn't think much after sundown. Don't remember seeing much in the way of lighting. Not a massive fan of the riverlakes range, simply because there are no distance markers. Well kept grass hitting area though. Only reason I go there is the Pro. Which, quite honestly, is a spectacular reason to head down there...

Make the trip up to Mt Gravatt and hit with me Timah!

When are you around in Brisbane so I can give you that Boom?

Lobby

timah!
22nd June 2012, 10:02 PM
Yep, Zoe is worth the price of admission. Haha.

Haven't heard much good about Mt Gravatt Lobby, and Tee Time is a decent enough range.

Away next week, here the next.

timah!
22nd June 2012, 10:03 PM
But, can I get some feedback please? :lol:

popper81
22nd June 2012, 10:15 PM
But, can I get some feedback please? :lol:

No worries Tim..... two things:

1. Great camera work, unlike the footage of my swing, which is blurry as hell....
2. Try left handed!!

;)

Anything else you want help with?

timah!
22nd June 2012, 10:23 PM
:lol:

You think Dave might have some old irons I could try out?

popper81
22nd June 2012, 10:27 PM
:lol:You think Dave might have some old irons I could try out? Doubt it.... Think he is a 'one set' type guy ;)!

timah!
22nd June 2012, 10:29 PM
Yeah, maybe I'll trade SMS a belly putter for some...

Lobsta
23rd June 2012, 12:13 AM
Yep, Zoe is worth the price of admission. Haha.

Haven't heard much good about Mt Gravatt Lobby, and Tee Time is a decent enough range.

Away next week, here the next.

Haha. Her and her skirts...

There are a lot of Mt Gravatt haters out there, but haters gonna hate. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. Yeah, there are some shitty balls, but they've just thrown a bunch of new ones into the mix so abut 50% of the bucket look mint (range mint at least). Maybe 5 are shocking and the rest are average.

Daves
23rd June 2012, 10:01 AM
Tim,

to me you look to be trying to almost will the ball left. Your feet are set closed, and you look to be trying to drag it left through impact. Yet the ball flight looks to me to have been a fade. What does that tell you about impact angles and what you are doing at impact?

timah!
23rd June 2012, 06:32 PM
Closed to what Dave?
Ballflight was pretty straight...

Daves
23rd June 2012, 06:42 PM
Closed to what Dave?
Ballflight was pretty straight...

Your feet look closed to the Alignment stick to me. A bit hard to tell in the light but looks like it goes right in flight to me.

timah!
23rd June 2012, 06:44 PM
The alignment stick is Popper's, I was just using his range pills... :mrgreen:

popper81
23rd June 2012, 07:10 PM
The alignment stick is Popper's, I was just using his range pills... :mrgreen: Haha!!!! good players use alignments sticks ;)

timah!
23rd June 2012, 07:15 PM
Haha!!!! good players use alignments sticks ;)

Oh, is that my problem? :lol:

popper81
23rd June 2012, 07:24 PM
Oh, is that my problem? :lol: One of a few..... I will leave it to people with more knowledge than me to advise you on the rest though. :)

razaar
23rd June 2012, 08:14 PM
timar
Nice action you have there, mate. But you can feel there is something missing and can't quite grasp what it is?;)

timah!
23rd June 2012, 08:20 PM
I think there are a few things missing Raz.
Firstly, a lengthened spine and better rotation.

razaar
23rd June 2012, 08:45 PM
The posture looks fine. The thing about posute is you only want the muscles that normally keep the bosdy (spine) erect doing the work. If there is a feeling that voluntary muscles (the ones we move consciously) are getting involved in maintaining posture then there is a problem. The spine will extend as the body coils if there are no issues with normal posture. No, I don't see posture or rotation being the missing ingredient. IMO you are missing torque in the backswing. It is the way your right elbow works going back and going forward. The right forearm has to have a feeling of clockwise rotation when the hand is above the elbow with the elbow forced into the right side by the takeaway. If you don't get a feeling of tension in the right bicep and right shoulder then you are missing torque. It is this torque that will give zip to your shots.

timah!
23rd June 2012, 08:55 PM
Interesting, I've never really thought of that.
So rather than 'pulling back' with the right arm, it needs to be more of a 'screwing back' like a baseball pitcher (as an analogy)?

razaar
23rd June 2012, 09:25 PM
You got it. The elbow leads the forearm in the downswing and the forearm unwinds with force all by itself.

goonie
23rd June 2012, 10:39 PM
I'm no swing guru so I am just going to say what I see in the vid

Setup - your feet are aiming right of your knees and hips, and your shoulders maybe just left of your hips and knees, the ball follows your shoulders. Does it fade a little?

Swing - you take the club inside on the take away, loop at the top and then come down from the outside in, as I said before the ball starts off (left) where your appear to be aiming where your shoulders were aiming at address, which is left of your hips and knees and well left of your feet.

At hip level your club head is behind your hands, someone else may be able to confirms this, but I believe the club should be inline with the target and parallel to the ground at this stage of the backswing. taking the club to far inside is a very common cause of the loop at the top and outside in downswing. It doesn't look like your pull hooking it so the clubface must be pretty square. maybe try a drill where you have to swing outside of something on the back swing. Maybe a ball or head cover to force you to stay parallel until the wrist break.

This is what I am talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0n5ztQ_7qvY

goonie
23rd June 2012, 10:46 PM
Also borrow poppers alignment sticks :-) and work on getting your feet, knees, hips and shoulders aligned at address.

timah!
22nd July 2012, 09:39 PM
So, there is being some work done on my swing which although in very early stages could prove fruitful.
Interesting times ahead...