PDA

View Full Version : The optimum putter length

MegaWatty
11th March 2011, 06:21 PM
How do you find it? Is it personal preference?

timah!
11th March 2011, 06:25 PM
I haven't quite found it yet, but i've started the process. Currently play a 35" putter, but have been experimenting with a 33.5" of late. It feels just a tad too short (probably as much as the 35" feels too long.)
I'm guessing that i'll end up with something around 34.25-34.5"...

Golfnut
11th March 2011, 06:25 PM
What ever 'Fit says.

TourFit
11th March 2011, 06:26 PM
Atsaboy!

MegaWatty
11th March 2011, 06:29 PM
It's just a curiosity. Does shorter mean more control like a driver shaft (as an example)?

Jarro
11th March 2011, 06:31 PM
My thinking is that it's whatever length that lets your arms hang down naturally.

33" works fine for me :mrgreen:

Golfnut
11th March 2011, 06:31 PM
Shorter means lighter feeling in the head I thought if it's cut down hence the reason Mizuno, at least, weight up the different lengths.

TourFit
11th March 2011, 06:33 PM
Actually Mega it wholly depends on WHAT putter style it is and how you're stance is. A centre shafted putter will usually require a slightly different length than an Anser style heel shafted one, especially if the lie angle is different !!!

I have plenty and most of them have slight variances - a touch shorter and flatter etc

If you have a consistent, comfortable and repeatable stance and address with the putter it can be quite easy to have a 'baseline' length and lie for multiple putters. If not, or if the golfer only has one putter, then bending it all correct for an individual can help DEVELOP a consistent, comfortable and repeatable stance.

ALWAYS REMEMBER...build the inanimate object around the person, not the other way around.

MegaWatty
11th March 2011, 06:37 PM
Mine is bent correctly for me. ;)

TourFit
11th March 2011, 06:39 PM
Really...which one?

MegaWatty
11th March 2011, 06:39 PM
The Redwood.

Iain
11th March 2011, 06:50 PM
My putter is 33" (I'm just on 6 foot tall), but I lean over the ball a lot.

live4golf
11th March 2011, 07:28 PM
Mine's 48 inches...rolls well on the carpet, we'll see how it goes on course tomorrow.

sms316
11th March 2011, 07:31 PM
Mine's 48 inches...rolls well on the carpet, we'll see how it goes on course tomorrow.

Cheat.

live4golf
11th March 2011, 07:32 PM
Cheat.

...and I have a long putter

sms316
11th March 2011, 07:37 PM
:lol:

Baudwalker
11th March 2011, 08:06 PM
Here you go .. for what it is worth

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/TWGOLF/index11.html

Now we will see who contradicts whom!

Webster
11th March 2011, 08:23 PM
34.125"

Captain Nemo
11th March 2011, 08:52 PM
My thinking is that it's whatever length that lets your arms hang down naturally.

33" works fine for me :mrgreen:

Exactly the same for me, 33"!

simmsy
11th March 2011, 08:57 PM
33" and was fitted out by 'fit. just had my comfortable putting stance, 'fit measured it up and bob's ya uncle there it is fits perfect and every time im over the putt i know if im standing correctly by where the putter is sitting in my hands and eye's. Thanks 'fit, your da man.

MegaWatty
11th March 2011, 09:01 PM
He did my Redwood as well. I think he may have forgotten though.

TourFit
12th March 2011, 01:42 AM
The Redwood.

Again...which one? And I haven't forgotten.

And simmsy...'You're Welcome!" Hope the counter balance experiment works. Stick with it, it may take a little time to adjust to the new feel.

MegaWatty
12th March 2011, 02:12 AM
WTF? Simmsy has counter balanced his putter? He PM'd me when I said I was going to do it telling me not to!

You'll do the 2nd one once it's pimped. :)

Nuffie
12th March 2011, 02:24 AM
My new bimini putter is 35 inches long, compared to the older scotty newport 2.5 that I decided to cut down to 31.5 inches - almost 12 months ago.

In theory, shorter was meant to = better control but not necessarily the way to go, me deciding to cut it down actually made putting with it a heck more difficult.

Golfnut mentioned "shorter means lighter feeling". That is exactly what happened to the scotty. It got way too light and I lost all my feel for longer putts especially.

With shorter putts, the lightness of the putter and the increase in backswing needed made it very hard to take it back straight.

At least with the Binini, I can take a shorter back-stroke again, as I did with my older wilson 8862 (only this bimini blade putter has grooves also). I can feel the extraweight almost keeping the putter online easier as I let it rock like a pendulum back and forth...

razaar
12th March 2011, 02:26 PM
I think lie angle is the key with head weight determining the shaft length. 34 inches seems to be the average for a putter with a head weight of 340 to 350 grams. Any thing heavier than 350gms may need a shorter shaft. My research suggests that everybody has their preferred swing weight when it comes to putters. If you know the swing weight and the lie angle as well as the shaft length that suits you, then have Kari make you a custom putter in your favourite head design and neck configeration that fits your eye. That's what I do.

TourFit
12th March 2011, 06:01 PM
My new bimini putter is 35 inches long, compared to the older scotty newport 2.5 that I decided to cut down to 31.5 inches - almost 12 months ago.

In theory, shorter was meant to = better control but not necessarily the way to go, me deciding to cut it down actually made putting with it a heck more difficult.

Golfnut mentioned "shorter means lighter feeling". That is exactly what happened to the scotty. It got way too light and I lost all my feel for longer putts especially.

With shorter putts, the lightness of the putter and the increase in backswing needed made it very hard to take it back straight.

At least with the Binini, I can take a shorter back-stroke again, as I did with my older wilson 8862 (only this bimini blade putter has grooves also). I can feel the extraweight almost keeping the putter online easier as I let it rock like a pendulum back and forth...

Nuff...just get heavier Scotty Cameron screws for the base of your putter. You can get them on ebaY (I'd suggest the 30-40g ones for yours!)

Nuffie
12th March 2011, 06:33 PM
Nuff...just get heavier Scotty Cameron screws for the base of your putter. You can get them on ebaY (I'd suggest the 30-40g ones for yours!)

Thanks Fit. My scotty is that old that the screws go into the back of the putter behind the sweet spot and not the base :).

These can be removed with an allen key. I might look into this...

Johnny Canuck
12th March 2011, 11:10 PM
25 1/2" is the perfect length for me.

:smt039

LowTee
14th March 2011, 07:22 PM
individual can help DEVELOP a consistent, comfortable and repeatable stance.

ALWAYS REMEMBER...build the inanimate object around the person, not the other way around.[/QUOTE]

Great quote tourfit couldn't agree more

Johnny Canuck
15th March 2011, 02:13 AM
Fit built my putter to about 35.5" - 35.75". I love it.

The adjusting of the lie is the best thing though. I've had him bend them both so that they lie flat with my stance.

Captain Nemo
15th March 2011, 08:29 AM

25 and 30gm Authentic ones are damn hard to come by, and cost the BOMB, I have a pair of each coming back from the C.S but will not be for sale!:roll:
But yes there are some sftermarket ones around.

Veefore
15th March 2011, 05:22 PM
For me as long as my arms hang naturally and I can get my eyes somewhere close to being over the ball I am happy. This means generally around the 33" range.

Beno
15th March 2011, 05:43 PM
Yeh 33 inch for me and a tad bit flat of the 71* , tend to rock on my heels a little when putting. Plus 33 gives me the most natural arm position