PDA

View Full Version : Being hit up on...

ScottyT
1st March 2011, 10:04 AM
G'day All,
Just like to hear your opinions. As a member of a Social Club we travel to many golf clubs. A few weeks ago I played in the last group of our 36 strong members. As with many clubs we have some very good players and some not so good ones. After finishing the first hole, a par 3, we found ourselves in a bottle neck at the next tee. We waited for the other teams to hit off and they did so when it was safe to. Our turn finally came, we hit off and found ourselves half way down a short par four waiting for the team in front of us to finish off on the green.
Meanwhile members of the club we were playing at started hitting up on us. A couple of really near misses, no warning shouts. The same club members dogged us for the next eight holes complaining and hitting up on us all the way. When we hit the Ninth the Pro came around and told us to hurry up. We had completed our first nine in just under two hours. Many times we had to wait for tee's or greens to clear. So I don't think we were all that slow.
In 2005, Vanessa Anderson, one of the students at the school where I work was struck by a golf ball and as a result passed away. It forever highlighted to me the dangers of hitting up on someone.
As paying players I think that we have the right to use the course and expect other players, members or not, to respect our rights. In this case I don't think the members or the Pro were being very fair or professional. If we are not following the local rules or general rules of golf by all means pull us up, but hitting up on people and abusing them is not the answer.
Thoughts please.
Cheers ScottyT

AndyP
1st March 2011, 12:02 PM
It seems strange that the Pro gave you the hurry up, if you were on the tail of the group in front. Hitting up on someone is very stupid considering the risks involved.

Pieface
1st March 2011, 12:19 PM
Mate, the second time they hit up on you without calling 4 you should have been onto the pro-shop. As you know from your example hiting balls into players ahead can be deadly. For whatever reason the members behind you have taken exception to your social club getting on and behaved very badly. Once you have notified the pro-shop they would have to take action. They are not going to risk being found negligent in a serious injury scenario. The individuals hitting up on you would be in the s**t too if anything had happened.

If they play very quickly at that club I would expect at best they are making a 3 hour round so you have slowed them by 3 minutes a hole at worst by playing 9 in 2 hours.

I wish my social club could get around in 2 hours a side!

Daves
1st March 2011, 12:26 PM
Hitting up on groups in front is just plain stupid! It achieves nothing and is totally poor form. Even hitting short of the group in front, is poor form. I have lost count of the number of times I have heard a ball hit up behind in the middle of my backswing. Sure they might end up 20/30m short, but it is still poor etiquette imo. Wait another 30secs and you will have the entire fairway to yourself! And if it is slow, you aren't go anyway fast, just like everyone else, so get used to it!

Minor_Threat
1st March 2011, 12:37 PM
As has been said, it is dangerous and achieves nothing. Write a letter of complaint if you feel strongly enough and threaten to take your social club elsewhere.

goughy
1st March 2011, 12:48 PM
Would definitely be complaining to the club about this. Sometimes the pro hurrying you up doesn't know the full story and I'd have mentioned to him how the round had progressed for you. I was in a group once that got a hurry up. We'd spent 16 holes waiting on every shot, and up the 17th we were looking for a lost ball. Pro was driving around and told us we were falling behind!!! The group we were waiting on all the time were the first group of the day, and in one case two of them were still on a tee box talking when we'd putted out and were heading to the tee ourselves.

Complain to the club!

I hate being hit up on. When vegas did it on the par 4 7th at city once he's lucky his ball didn't end up in the near by creek!!!!! Only the fact it was his tee shot save him ;)

rubin
1st March 2011, 12:54 PM
could do what I've seen a number of people do.

Once is forgiveable. may have been a mistake or a very very lucky shot. Second time the ball is either tee'd back to them, or into some rough scrub that it can't be found.

I have only ever had to make a point of it one time, and the peolpe doing it were 16 yr old kids who thought it was funny.
Luckily I had a mate with me who is 6ft 6 and about 110kg of muscle. They didnt do it again.

Yossarian
1st March 2011, 01:00 PM
When I hit up on myself I had stern words with myself afterwards.

Pieface
1st March 2011, 01:03 PM
pics? :D

3oneday
1st March 2011, 01:21 PM
For golf clubs to allow social groups playing prior to comps means that they need income their members won't provide. Were you playing somewhere along the F3 ?

I'd write to the General Manager of the club and advise them of what happened and that you doubt your group will return without some sort of assurances that you will be treated with respect next time. It's a basic lack of respect.

IanO
1st March 2011, 01:28 PM
Definitely write to the club and complain. There is no excuse for it. If you were 2 holes behind they should be complaining to the pro not hitting up on you. 2 hours for 9 is pretty quick for any social club round I have ever seen.

BrisVegas
1st March 2011, 01:37 PM
I hate being hit up on. When vegas did it on the par 4 7th at city once he's lucky his ball didn't end up in the near by creek!!!!! Only the fact it was his tee shot save him ;)

golfer69 is talking about removing that tree that protects the 7th green. Better start wearing a helmet on that green if he gets his way.

goughy
1st March 2011, 02:52 PM
He's been talking about that for years now! He's talking out his arse. And if they remove that tree, the green will be 30 mtrs further on too.

Dotty
1st March 2011, 03:18 PM
Name and shame, ScottyT.

I don't want to patronise that club or any businesses that are associated with it. (I expect that they have 'sponsors' names their scorecards and have sold signage beside each tee box.)

TheTrueReview
1st March 2011, 05:37 PM
I've seen this sort of crap a number of times. It seems 'slow play' is a relative term b/c there's so many different opinions on what constitutes it. If players take it on themselves to hit up on 'slow players', given the divergence of views about slow play, golf courses will become like shooting galleries. Anyone deliberately hitting up on the group ahead should be banned - member or not.

Ferrins
1st March 2011, 05:41 PM
Play at Tenterfield, if you hit up on people they will most probably call their mate who will turn up with 4 pig dogs and a gutting knife.

matty
1st March 2011, 07:20 PM
I was in the last group to play in the comp a week ago. On the first hole a group of Asians, who were members but not playing, hit up while a member of our group was putting out. The ball landed on the green. We all threw our hands up to ask what was going on.

Two holes later we'd barely taken a step off the green when the ball lands near the green. We were pretty pissed about it. It's not hard to wait for people to walk 15 paces from the green before lining up.

Called the pro shop, who sent a buggy out to speak to them. No dramas after that.

You've got to pull people up on it. As was said before, once could be an accident, two times is not.

WBennett
1st March 2011, 09:13 PM
I have hit the ball back at the group behind me (after I'd just taken a wipe)...
It was worth it, they didn't hit up again.

LarryLong
1st March 2011, 09:15 PM
I was playing in an admittedly slowish foursome on the weekend at Creswick. We were hit up on by a group of three playing ambrose, after we had offered to let them through four holes earlier on the tenth and one of their players had passed up the option. Then two of them drove their cart up to the green a few holes later and told us they were going to play through. One of my mates was not very happy at all, but I told the member to enjoy his round of golf and we stood back and allowed him to hit.

Karma took over - we retreated to the back of the green and watched said member duff his next shot into a water hazard. I laughed, maybe a bit too loudly. :D

Have never thought to call the pro shop though, that's probably a good thing to do The only other thing I could think of doing is putting a little note to the effect of "The next one is coming straight back to you" beside the ball, but I do try to avoid conflict wherever possible because I'm basically soft.

markTHEblake
1st March 2011, 09:28 PM
I have hit the ball back at the group behind me (after I'd just taken a wipe)...

unfortunately if you are unlucky enough to hit someone you would most certainly go to jail.

The only way to address the issue properly is to submit a written complaint to the club. Verbals just dont work no matter how much the people you tell care.

WBennett
1st March 2011, 09:42 PM
I had a short iron in my hand, they had unloaded driver. The danger of hitting them was low.

I have seen it hit back over the offending groups head before...

'unfortunately if you are unlucky enough to hit someone you would most certainly go to jail.'

Not in the ACT. You can't go to jail for anything here any more.... did you know they ACT has not had a successful murder conviction in over 10 years?

Gomer
1st March 2011, 09:46 PM
I've hit someone off the tee with my driver before. It was purely an accident though. Hitting blind over a hill and they were on my fairway playing another hole. The old guy I hit in the leg wasn't too impressed and had a go at me, but how was I suppose to know he was there and why would I call "four!!" when I hit it down the centre of the fairway. lol

But hitting up on people is just not on.

markTHEblake
1st March 2011, 10:14 PM
I have seen it hit back over the offending groups head before...

yes and everyone used to think it was funny. Now we have a guy in Townsville in a vegetable state and the guy who hit him has been ordered to pay something like $20M for being negligent. Then there is the young lady in Sydney who got killed, not sure what the details of that is.

Not in the ACT. You can't go to jail for anything here any more.... ah maybe, but you might be considered to be encouraging others to do that. If anybody thinks that is still funny then they deserve jail for even trying. If its deliberately hitting a ball at people that is malicious intent. I am not a legal expert but am I wrong in thinking that it would be lay down misere manslaughter charge.

I saw a bloke standing next to me get hit in the back of the head, that sound it made on his head was sickening.

AlexMc
1st March 2011, 10:37 PM

Have done this a few times, however I prefer to hit the ball out of bounds (as far as I can).

One time it happened to a group of us and one of the guys in our group took a piss on their ball (small country club). They didn't do it again...

Dazza
1st March 2011, 10:42 PM
I've hit up on the group in front twice. First time was a drive which was heading left... kicked off the footpath and flew much further than I expected. I explained what happened on the next tee and all was ok. It landed just behind them!
Second time was a blind shot, couldn't see over the hill from the tee. I normally only drive to the top of the hill, so I gave them some time to clear the hill and head towards the green, even let another bloke hit before me. Stepped up and absolutely creamed this drive, longest i've ever hit...didn't realise that I nearly drove the green! Luckily the group was preparing to putt and were all out of harms way.
Now, whenever an impatient wanker in my group tells me it's clear, i politely tell them to go ahead. It's not worth the risk!

I have had a few people hit up on me in the past, i figure they're feeling stupid enough already so I normally don't get too wound up about it. Might give them a wave....

Hux
1st March 2011, 10:52 PM

Haven't had this happen to me and maybe I am lucky enough to block enough sunlight that folks don't want to see whether I am really a big pussy or not - however my view thoughts would be if I was hit up once it may have been someone who is that much of a chopper they really didn't expect to get anyone near you. The whole group does it a couple of times and I am doing nothing wrong - well they will be looking for a golf ball or "playing it as it lies".

kpac
1st March 2011, 11:23 PM
I've had this happen a couple of times - My favoured response:
Heard it land pretty close on one hole, first time forgiven, assuming poor calculations. Two holes later 2 of the group behind give it another go while we were waiting for the green to clear. I wandered over, picked up both balls and stuck them in my pocket. Then let the pro shop know and told them to crack down. If they wanted the balls back they'd have to listen to me tell them how daft they are.....

mike
2nd March 2011, 12:55 AM
I once dumped a load of sand on a ball someone sent past my ear.

MegaWatty
2nd March 2011, 12:58 AM
Disappointed you said sand.

mike
2nd March 2011, 01:00 AM
Ha!

matty
2nd March 2011, 06:00 AM
I've only ever hit up on a group once, a few months ago. By accident of course. I got a great drive away and decided to go for the green on a par 5. I had about 220 or 230 to the front. I watched a bloke on the front of the green start to walk quickly towards the back of the green and meet up with his playing partners in a bunch.

I assumed they were walking off. I start to line up, taking my sweet time. I must have been concentrating as I musn't have taken much more notice of them and have gone through with the shot and hit it sweetly. It's gone gun barrell straight :mrgreen: and landed on the front a couple of meters from where a bloke was lining up to putt. He's obviously walked back to have his putt at some stage. I shit myself, yelled 'fore'. They only looked up for a few seconds and returned to their putting.

In the clubhouse I went straight to the group and apologised. They shrugged it off and were more interested to know if I got the putt. For the record it was a bird.

Was scary watching the ball fly towards them.

Gomer
2nd March 2011, 11:45 AM
About a month ago was playing at Jamberoo and we got to a par 3 and I looked at the green and the group ahead were 5 meters behind the green in a big group and my mate said you're up Joey. I thought they were finished as they had been way ahead of us for the last few holes, so I teed up. I am normally quick off the tee, line up my shot once and waggle and swing. When I lined it up they were still at the back, so I hit the ball and I look up to realise they were pulling the flag out. Of course I hit it dead straight and a few meters in front of the pin. They were pretty angry and waited for me to get to the green. Felt so bad. Had a go at my mate for not saying anything when I was teeing off.

Jarro
2nd March 2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not an advocate of the 'hit-up' either, so i don't know why i did it to the group in front of us at the Wynnum Cup ?? :oops:

Having been hit in the tackle once before by an errant tee shot, i know the pain a wayward golf ball can cause.

Again to those concerned at Wynnum.... i am truly sorry :(

LeftyHoges
2nd March 2011, 02:55 PM
Had this happen on the weekend in the ambrose we played.

The 13th at Portland is a 440m par 5 that doglegs about 100 short of the green pretty much at right angles. You can go over (or through the gap of) big pines at the green but you have to be in the right position. We finished out the hole and were waiting at the 14th tee which is very close to the line of attack and about 25m short of the 13th green. Attached is the picture to show you what I mean...

From the group behind us, two players went for the green from the angle I've shown. The little blue dots represent approximately where we were standing. The first ball (litle yellow dot on the left) landed 2 metres directly behind my brother and would've cracked him in the skull if he didn't duck. (For reference the sand colour in the pic is a track about 2 metres wide and Justin was standing about 50cm from the front of it. This ball caught the path about 15cm from the back). No shout of 'fore' at all... Luckily we saw them attempting the shot and could see it coming. The ridiculous thing is if we can see them hitting the shot we know perfectly well that they can see us standing there in line and short of their target. Now this was a group of 5, 6, 15 (men) and 16 (lady) handicappers who should and do know better. So now after the first shot they've seen and heard us scramble for cover. So what do they do??? They have another crack, don't they!!! The second shot is the yellow dot on the right that cleared another bloke by about a metre and off to his left by about a metre and a half.

We tee off and and they come up the path towards us and are laughing about it. No apoogies, nothing. ****ing idiots!!!

The problem with a small club (about 400 members) is that every one knows each other. You see each other down the street all the time and play with each other regularly. Hell, one of them was the head greenkeeper of the club. Another played off in the final of the club champs last year. We just shook our heads and walked off. What the hell do you do in that situation???

TheTrueReview
2nd March 2011, 04:18 PM
... What the hell do you do in that situation???

Lefty, my .02 worth -> Don't reward bad behaviour by suffering in silence.

Jarro
2nd March 2011, 04:35 PM
Had this happen on the weekend in the ambrose we played.

The 13th at Portland is a 440m par 5 that doglegs about 100 short of the green pretty much at right angles. You can go over (or through the gap of) big pines at the green but you have to be in the right position. We finished out the hole and were waiting at the 14th tee which is very close to the line of attack and about 25m short of the 13th green. Attached is the picture to show you what I mean...

From the group behind us, two players went for the green from the angle I've shown. The little blue dots represent approximately where we were standing. The first ball (litle yellow dot on the left) landed 2 metres directly behind my brother and would've cracked him in the skull if he didn't duck. (For reference the sand colour in the pic is a track about 2 metres wide and Justin was standing about 50cm from the front of it. This ball caught the path about 15cm from the back). No shout of 'fore' at all... Luckily we saw them attempting the shot and could see it coming. The ridiculous thing is if we can see them hitting the shot we know perfectly well that they can see us standing there in line and short of their target. Now this was a group of 5, 6, 15 (men) and 16 (lady) handicappers who should and do know better. So now after the first shot they've seen and heard us scramble for cover. So what do they do??? They have another crack, don't they!!! The second shot is the yellow dot on the right that cleared another bloke by about a metre and off to his left by about a metre and a half.

We tee off and and they come up the path towards us and are laughing about it. No apoogies, nothing. ****ing idiots!!!

The problem with a small club (about 400 members) is that every one knows each other. You see each other down the street all the time and play with each other regularly. Hell, one of them was the head greenkeeper of the club. Another played off in the final of the club champs last year. We just shook our heads and walked off. What the hell do you do in that situation???

That looks like a design flaw if ever i saw one. There needs to a local rule there to stop fools trying to reach that green in two.

LeftyHoges
2nd March 2011, 05:12 PM
Lefty, my .02 worth -> Don't reward bad behaviour by suffering in silence.

Good point TTR. Will be having words next time I see them to let them know its not on. Once is a mistake, but for two people in the same group to do it with identical results is stupidity.

That looks like a design flaw if ever i saw one. There needs to a local rule there to stop fools trying to reach that green in two.

Usually there'd be 2 to 3 people at max who'd try to go for that on a Saturday / Wednesday (singles comp), one of which would probably be me BUT ONLY IF there are no people on the tee. Most people have the common sense not to. Probably only happened this way because it was an ambrose event.

But you are right, it is a design flaw. Such a shame too as it's actually a great risk / reward hole that you don't want to change it, but there's nowhere else for the 14th tee to go as it only 320 as it stands now so you can't shorten it any. There is talk of shifting the green to the corner for a mid range par 4 and extending the 17th to a par 5 but that makes back to back par 5's on 16 and 17 and a par 3 to finish. Is that too weird?

sms316
2nd March 2011, 09:56 PM
Hit it as long as dc68. Nobody hits up on him.

ScottyT
14th March 2011, 08:00 AM
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to the forum guy's. thanks for your responses. The club in question is Shelly Beach NSW Central Coast. Letter has been sent to club President and Pro.awaiting response.

ScottyT
14th March 2011, 08:03 AM
Sorry for taking so long to get back and tahnks for your suggestions. The club was Shelley Beach NSW Central Coast. Cheers ScottyT.

Minor_Threat
14th March 2011, 02:37 PM
Sorry for taking so long to get back and tahnks for your suggestions. The club was Shelley Beach NSW Central Coast. Cheers ScottyT.I just looked up Shelley Beach. I had no idea Tuggerah Lakes GC had changed its name or has it?