PDA

View Full Version : Pennants

macleod
3rd June 2004, 08:40 AM
Can someone explain the whole pennants thing to me?

It's one of those things not covered in any literature I got when joining Gailes...that and a lot of other stuff really. :D

AndyP
3rd June 2004, 09:57 AM
What do you want to know?

I don't play pennants either, as I am not eligible. I would imagine that it would be tough getting on a pennants team at Gailes, as they are in Division 1.

http://www.bdga.org.au/RESULTS%2004%20OPEN%20PENNANT%20DIV%201.htm

I think A grade plays matchplay without handicaps, and B grade you play with your handicap.

Just browsing that site, I see that young 990BLuva won 4 of his 6 pennants matches this year. Pity the rest of the team couldn't hold up their end.

markTHEblake
3rd June 2004, 02:32 PM
Can someone explain the whole pennants thing to me?

Each club puts up a team, the numbers vary from district to district, from year to year. down this way its 7 Players per team. The team is sorted into order, No1 is the best player, No7 is the worst. No 7 is the first player to tee off, No 1 is the last to tee off.

(for tactical reasons a club may re-order slightly, like in the Ryder cup the best player was not in the last group on the course, as the result rarely hinges on the last match)

Each player has an individual match against the opposing side, and either Wins or Loses. Tied matches go down sudden death (some areas leave it at a tie).

At the end, the individual Wins/losses are added up, and Team with most Wins is the winner.

A round robin season is played, sometimes home and away, and at the end the Top 2 sides play off in a final. When a team wins a final they all get horribly drunk, do silly things and get into big trouble with the Mrs.

Some areas have seperate Divisions or 2, in which
teams are delgated/relagated like in the Soccer. Other areas just have several grades in which the club competes in all grades.

Some areas have the ABC grades sorted by Handicaps, others just simply use the grades for their 2nd, 3rd string sides like in cricket clubs.

do you want to know any more?

jaster
3rd June 2004, 11:14 PM
What MTB said :P :wink:

macleod
5th June 2004, 06:35 PM
thanks guys! much clearer now.

i just see all this stuff in calendar for gailes and wonder what it is.

AndyP
5th June 2004, 09:37 PM
Note:

Playing for a pennant is not the same as the time honoured competition format called "Carry the Flag"..or "Flag" event.

Group one heads out with a flag.
You have the par for the course plus your handicap. In my case..par 72 plus 10. Wherever my 82nd shot finishes, I stick the flag in the ground.
The following groups come around and they try to get passed my flag position.
If you finish 18 and still have shots left you head up the 1st again.

It's a fun event but rarely gets a look in these days.
Not sure what this has to do with pennants :? , but I would really like to play this format. It's a bit different and sounds like fun.

mike
6th June 2004, 09:14 AM
:D :) :D :)