PDA

View Full Version : The Book of Golfing Etiquette - where is it?

TheTrueReview
28th February 2011, 11:48 AM
I've heard a lot of references to golfing etiquette by weekend golfers, some quite amusing. It many cases what is & what is not etiquette seems to be in the eye of the beholder. When I hear an ignorant sod rabbiting on about their version of etiquette, I've often wished I could pull out a ready reference manual & feed it to them page by page.

Does anyone know if there is a definitive reference book about golfing etiquette?

Bruce
28th February 2011, 12:03 PM
I'd go with the Royal and Ancient rules and ettiquette guide (http://www.randa.org/Rules%20and%20Amateur%20Status/Etiquette.aspx)

You will also find this at the very beginning of the rules book you should be carrying with you. Ettiquette comes even before the definitions so it shows where its' priority rates with the rule makers.

TheTrueReview
28th February 2011, 12:11 PM
I'd go with the Royal and Ancient rules and ettiquette guide (http://www.randa.org/Rules%20and%20Amateur%20Status/Etiquette.aspx)

You will also find this at the very beginning of the rules book you should be carrying with you. Ettiquette comes even before the definitions so it shows where its' priority rates with the rule makers.

Thanks. Yep, was aware of all of that.

On the weekend, my playing partner & I had an interesting experience with two guys in a foursome & what they considered to be etiquette. Not surprisingly, it's not mentioned anywhere in the R & A guide. Might've had something to do with the fact they were having a shocker of a round.

razaar
28th February 2011, 12:56 PM
Several years ago Golf Australia provided a booklet on etiquette separate from the RuLes of Golf to affiliated golf clubs to be provided to members. Check with your club to see if they still have a copy.

Daves
28th February 2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks. Yep, was aware of all of that.

On the weekend, my playing partner & I had an interesting experience with two guys in a foursome & what they considered to be etiquette. Not surprisingly, it's not mentioned anywhere in the R & A guide. Might've had something to do with the fact they were having a shocker of a round.

Come on, enlighten us. You know you want to!

TheTrueReview
28th February 2011, 05:47 PM
Come on, enlighten us. You know you want to!

Nah, all good. What happens on the footy field, stays on the footy field. ;)

Minor_Threat
28th February 2011, 05:52 PM
I have managed to play with a few very high handicappers (>30) lately and it was very surprising how little they knew of etiquette and the rules. It makes you feel like a **** when you have to pull them up for the smallest things that they should know i.e: walking on lines, tending the flag while pitching from 30m out etc.

rubin
28th February 2011, 06:43 PM
the worst comes when your waiting for a bloke to walk up to the green with you waiting there, he has a 15 - 20 odd foot putt and hasn't even lined up. Then has the nerve to tell you that you need to wait for the person the furthest from the whole.

I had a tap in from about 3 ft. The other blokes didn't have a problem.

From the next tee, I mentioned rather loudly that I'm happy to play 'ready golf'. if i'm not ready or taking my sweet ass time, then i'm more than happy for someone to have a shot while im getting sorted.