PDA

View Full Version : Briny Baird's Putting Stance

matty
27th February 2011, 12:09 PM
Apparently he's been doing it for a while but I'd never seen it. He basically balances on the left foot and uses his right toe to balance himself from what I can see. Another example of using something that works for the individual. I don't know if there has been a stranger putting stance.

Below is his reply when interviewed about it.

Q. Your putting stance, can you describe what it is and how you developed that?
BRINY BAIRD: I've used it for probably four years now. Mike Adams is my golf instructor down in Palm Beach, and I was hitting putts one day in front of him wondering why I was hitting the putts so poorly. He said, "You're moving all over it," meaning I was actually moving backwards away from the ball. I was like, "really?" I didn't know. He said, "Yeah, stand on one foot and hit a putt," and if you stand on one foot and your balance isn't perfect, you're obviously going to fall over, and I darned near fell over.
He said, "Hit some putts on one foot for a while," and that drill actually became reality after a while. I did the drill a lot, and it was hard to get out of it. I fought getting out of it, and finally just said, the heck with it, let's just putt that way.

Away from putting check out this shot from him-:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaTWJCPAogg&playnext=1&list=PLC2A7DFFE1C414E82

IanO
28th February 2011, 06:00 PM
Great video

BayBum
28th February 2011, 06:08 PM
I have used that stance in the past when every stroke i made was a pull.It works great :)

razaar
28th February 2011, 06:27 PM
This is a prime example why the teachers of old were shy of employing drills in their teachings - the drill can become the swing.

MegaWatty
28th February 2011, 11:46 PM
Did anyone else suffer vertigo watching that?

IanO
1st March 2011, 09:34 AM
OK ... what gives with the screaming crowd noise when the stadium was empty?