PDA

View Full Version : Late to the party.... R9 love

oz
26th February 2011, 03:58 PM
I know, I know. Welcome to last decade, etc etc.

I bought an R9 this week. I was looking to experiment with playing more loft, and bought a stock R9 with 10.5* factory Motore stiff.

Went to the range for a 1/2 bucket before my round today, and then onto the course for a Stroke Monthly Medal comp round.

In summary - I like it. Ballflight is high, but not spinny, and the darn thing just wants to go straight, although I could turn it over if I really tried. 2 drives I caught thin-ish flew with a little tailing fade. I teed one or 2 down lower, and was able to lower the trajectory without too much manipulation and/or loss of distance.

The round was a long, slow one today (just over 5 hours), and I got a bit fatigued towards the end, but the R9 was very forgiving.

I went with more loft to improve my ballflight and carry distances. Achieved. No loss of distance at all. In fact, a couple were in the "gee - that's out there" category (for me). I played it with head and weighting in Neutral. No need to change it after what I saw today.

I have to declare some bias - I like TM drivers - always have. This one feels a little more solid than the R7, though, which is a definite plus. I will officially anoint the R9 later this week, by adding a gripmaster leather grip - bumping the Callaway to the garage.

IanO
28th February 2011, 09:38 AM
I have an R9 and will be selling it very soon as I find that the ball flight is too high and I lose 20-30 m in length from my Adams 9015D

3oneday
28th February 2011, 10:47 AM
Just bought another R9, 9.5, set it a degree open and put an NV 75 reg in it. Went as good as any driver I've hit.

dc68
28th February 2011, 11:24 AM
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my r9.

PS Loving the TPs too Pete. I was worried the PX 6.0s may be a bit much shaft for me but **** me they are good.

3oneday
28th February 2011, 11:33 AM
They are a sweet club :) and at the end of the day the shaft is only 120 grams. That's the way I look at it anyway !