PDA

View Full Version : photo storage

Cosmopolite
23rd February 2011, 02:18 AM
Has anyone tried online photo storage? If you have how much is it or are there any free ones?

I want to make sure all my photos are secure if my computer fails.

How safe are external HDDs?

MegaWatty
23rd February 2011, 02:31 AM
How many gigabytes do you have?

MegaWatty
23rd February 2011, 02:39 AM
I use Dropbox for a lot of stuff as well as Ext HDD. Problem with HDD alone is if you have a fire or a break in, it's usually gone with the computer.

Dropbox gives you 2GB for free and up to another 8GB for referring friends (1/2GB per signup).

Basically all you do is sign up and install it on your computer. It shows up as an extra folder on your desktop and you just drag and drop files to it. Also has iPhone and Android apps so you can access you files anywhere, anytime.

Here's my referral link if anyone wants to help me to 10GB.

http://db.tt/HWwYyiw

Cosmopolite
23rd February 2011, 02:56 AM
How many gigabytes do you have?

I just put quite a lot on a thumb drive and it was less than 3gb. Have got a bit more on my laptop though.

I just want the photos to be safe, I would hate to lose them.

Will look into dropbox MW, thanks for the info

kar
23rd February 2011, 08:00 AM
Get 2 external HDDs. Copy everything important to one of them. And then use SyncTool (available to download from microsoft free) to make sure they are identical (do it regularly) and keep one at home and keep another one somewhere else just in case.

AndyP
23rd February 2011, 09:15 AM
At less than 3GB, you could burn a copy onto a DVD now and put it with the important documents in a fireproof spot. That's a cheap immediate option, but it would soon get out of date.

Courty
23rd February 2011, 08:12 PM
Considered online image hosting such as Picasa?

FWIW, I also use Dropbox.