PDA

View Full Version : RE gripping

Daggs
22nd February 2011, 10:36 PM
What do i use as solvent if using doublesided tape under grips im a tad confused on this issue.
As some solvents seem to eat rubber.
Thanks in advance for your direction.

Ned
22nd February 2011, 10:41 PM
Petrol.

Have a look on youtube, plenty of vids about it.

Daves
22nd February 2011, 10:47 PM
Why use double sided tape? Just use single sided and blow the grips on. No mess and easy to change/adjust etc.

3oneday
22nd February 2011, 10:55 PM
Daggs, Shellite or Turps activates. Shellite doesn't smell and is the one your friends and family will appreciate more than turps or petrol. Petrol stinks, so will your car and your grips.

Daggs
22nd February 2011, 11:13 PM
Ok cheers guys Daves i do have a gun and its awsome but sometimes there just not tight enough.......And petrol ???? stinks .
just wondering what the yanks call grip solvent there is several types about but bit worried some of them are oily

henno
22nd February 2011, 11:34 PM
If it's not tight enough you must have the wrong grip size. Just build up the tape or use grips with the correct ID.

chappy1970
23rd February 2011, 10:05 AM
Dave give the doublesided tape the "Lemon and Sars" mate.
it's unnecessary.

TourFit
23rd February 2011, 12:29 PM
Shellite is what I use...

BTW...I also find that grips, even if they are brand new, once they have been on a shaft they tend to move about when re-installed with air only. That is because the internal core has been stretched enough to sometimes NOT get enough surface contact. It's worse with some than others though. (It's a bit like sex with your first girlfriend...:shock:)

Now, I always do a check by installing ONE grip first and thoroughly testing it and twisting it to see if it moves.

Captain Nemo
23rd February 2011, 01:07 PM
Shellite is what I use...

BTW...I also find that grips, even if they are brand new, once they have been on a shaft they tend to move about when re-installed with air only. That is because the internal core has been stretched enough to sometimes NOT get enough surface contact. It's worse with some than others though. (It's a bit like sex with your first girlfriend...:shock:)

Now, I always do a check by installing ONE grip first and thoroughly testing it and twisting it to see if it moves.

Fit, i find the same, i just pull it off and whack another layer of tape!

CobraSS
23rd February 2011, 01:50 PM
What do i use as solvent if using doublesided tape under grips im a tad confused on this issue.
As some solvents seem to eat rubber.
Thanks in advance for your direction.

I used WD-40 never had any dramas.

Daggs
23rd February 2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks again will try the shellite next.

FWIW have only come across 1 grip moving and its only the first couple of inches, bit of twist, put one tape and still doing it.
Only thing is its a mid size puregrip and dont want to turn it jumbo , and its a .580 on a graphite .

MegaWatty
5th March 2011, 11:12 PM
I've got to re-grip my Dads clubs when I go to visit. He doesn't have an air compressor so I'm looking at using either tape or glue. What's the best glue to use?

Beno
7th March 2011, 11:05 AM
I have been using Selleys Kwik Grip - not too bad, grabbed the gel one the first time but i would recommend the standard as the gel gets tacky almost too fast. I beleive its intended for laminate but its much cheaper than araldite etc. i think i paid about $12 for the small tin, would easily do 4 sets of clubs or so.

MegaWatty
7th March 2011, 11:08 AM
How about the old one layer of tape and hairspray trick? Anyone tried it? How'd it go? Easy?

virge666
7th March 2011, 11:11 AM
How about the old one layer of tape and hairspray trick? Anyone tried it? How'd it go? Easy?

That works a treat - just gets expensive in hairspray.

MegaWatty
7th March 2011, 11:42 AM
For a one off for my old man, it should be fine. I'll send him to Aldi before I get there.

It lubricates the grip and shaft well enough to slide it on easily enough?

3oneday
7th March 2011, 11:47 AM
Used hairspray heaps of times. Don't have to drown it, just spray inside the grip and on the tape.

MegaWatty
7th March 2011, 10:41 PM
Sweet! I just tried it out on my 'Araluen Club' with a Gripmaster that has a hole in the butt where the shaft came through, so it was impossible to blow on.

That club smells so nice now! ;)