PDA

View Full Version : Joining my first club - Wollongong area

Gomer
22nd February 2011, 10:03 AM
Hey guys looking at joining my first ever club in a few weeks. I'm pretty much a hacker and I'm new to golf. I live in Figtree and am going to become the night shift supervisor at work (2:30pm - 10:30pm shifts) and will have plenty of time to play during the week and I'm addicted to golf, so the logical thing to do is become a member of a club. Plus I can get a handicap and when I'm a bit more confident I can play in comps.

My selection criteria is it needs to be close'ish. Because I need to get to work at 2:30, and I'm a sweaty man so I'll need to shower before work. Also needs to be relatively cheap. So anyway the clubs I've been looking at have been Port Kembla, Kembla Grange, Shellharbour Links and Wollongong. I've pretty much ruled Wollongong out as $1,130 a year is a bit outrageous, and there is a $600 nomination fee (what is this btw?). The other courses I've listed are around $700 which is reasonable.

I played Kembla Grange last weekend and the course was in pretty good nick, wasn't hard as long as you hit the fairways (I'm use to playing Calderwood and having no trees along the fairways makes it pretty easy and there is no premium on hitting the fairways). I got the feeling it would get pretty boring playing 3 or more days a week, as the holes were pretty straight forward, only a few bunkers here and there. Also I've heard they have bad water management issues and the back or front 9 gets water logged pretty easily? Have they fixed this?

Haven't played Port Kembla or Shellharbour in a while and can't remember much about them. I remember Shellharbour was insanely difficult for a beginner, very hilly and crap loads of hazards. I read on these forums that they cleaned it up a little and removed a lot of the bunkers since I last played. How is the course now?

Any Wollongong golfers on here (seen a few) that can give me some help? Where are you members and what do you recommend?

Grunt
22nd February 2011, 10:26 AM
I would recommed the Kembla courses, Port and Grange. What does it cost for Prot Kembla?

My order would be

Port Kembla
Kembla Grange
Shellharbour Links

Gomer
22nd February 2011, 10:56 AM
I think Port Kembla is 760 and Grange is 700. Pretty much the same.

Peppas
22nd February 2011, 11:52 AM
I'm a member at Shell Cove Links. I like it, it's always a good challenge. Pretty cheap at $600 a year I think too. I only started playing golf last year so I'm definitely still a beginner/hacker but everyone I've played with there seems to be pretty laidback and encouraging. I only joined in October so I haven't been a member for too long either.

When I was looking at clubs I looked at those clubs too. I didn't like the Grange too much, not sure why though. I'm not a big hitter so, meh. And Port I've heard its hard to get on to during the weekends and stuff for comp rounds, and the few times I played it I thought it was ok. I probably ended up joining Shell Cove because I knew a few of the members and I always found it a tough course, so thought I'd be a better player eventually maybe for it?

Gomer
22nd February 2011, 12:40 PM
600 is pretty decent. My only concern is its just that little bit further to drive. I'll have to play another round there in a few weeks.

Peppas
22nd February 2011, 12:46 PM
600 is pretty decent. My only concern is its just that little bit further to drive. I'll have to play another round there in a few weeks.

Yeah it is a little further to drive. I live very close to Figtree, and the drive takes me on average about 20 minutes. To be honest it really is just another 10mins on the freeway vs the 10mins it takes to get to Port or Kembla Grange.

Let me know if you're interested in having a game, I may be able to come along if I'm not busy.

Stuartd147
22nd February 2011, 02:23 PM
Hi mate, I live in Figtree too. I have been a member of the Grange, then Wollongong and now Port Kembla. Port is my pick if you were to ask me so far as being a member somewhere, it has a decent practise area/range, the facilities are good, the club is very keen on growing, there is plenty of shade (for thos hot days), the pro-shop guys are great, etc etc.....pm me if you want more details ...stu

Gomer
22nd February 2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah I'd definitely be up for a round. Would have to be in a few weeks though as I'm pretty busy at the moment with work and family stuff.

Seems like it'll be a choice between port kembla and shellies.