PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Wollongong -- Shellharbour sat 26th feb

Coffs_Hacker
12th February 2011, 09:41 PM
Coffs_hacker vs Peppas

Having our matchplay game at shellharbour links sat 26th so throwing this out there to see if anyone else wants to join in.

Tee time unknown yet.

MegaWatty
12th February 2011, 10:01 PM
Be interested to hear how the course is playing. Not long until I'll be there!

Peppas
12th February 2011, 10:17 PM
Be interested to hear how the course is playing. Not long until I'll be there!

It's playing nice mate. I played today. Then again I wouldn't know what to complain about. Hazards are looking good. I spend alot of time in them :)

Peppas
12th February 2011, 10:41 PM
When you here anyways Mega?

MegaWatty
12th February 2011, 10:42 PM
Late March. Mum and Dad bought a house next to the 12th/13th.

Peppas
12th February 2011, 10:57 PM
Late March. Mum and Dad bought a house next to the 12th/13th.

You still around early April? Say 2nd or 3rd?

I put some balls into the scrub on the 13th today. Needless to say that was a wipe.

MegaWatty
12th February 2011, 10:58 PM
Nope.

Peppas
12th February 2011, 11:02 PM
Nope.

Oh wells, have fun while you're here.

MegaWatty
12th February 2011, 11:04 PM
I know I will when I'm staying that close! :)

Grunt
12th February 2011, 11:09 PM
Would have loved too but am working.

Matt 3 Jab
13th February 2011, 11:15 AM
is it in a comp or social game?

Peppas
13th February 2011, 01:53 PM
is it in a comp or social game?

Depends what time we can book in. Do you want to do comp?

jimandr
13th February 2011, 08:58 PM
Put me down in very faint pencil.

I have a sore back at the moment, but I don't think it is anything serious, so it might be better by then.

I might also wait for a weather forecast. I've played Shell Cove three times. Twice in 4 club gales, and the other time in pouring rain. I wouldn't mind seeing how the course plays in normal weather conditions.

WBennett
13th February 2011, 09:56 PM
If we can't get a start at Port Kembla, I might have a group of 4 to meet up with you guys

Matt 3 Jab
14th February 2011, 11:51 AM
Depends what time we can book in. Do you want to do comp?

i dont have a handicap any more, but was going to be down that way possibly the same day

dont work the booking in around me, id have to find clubs to play with to start with lol

Nuffie
14th February 2011, 04:35 PM
I miss that place and being a member there. The 16th was a great risk-reward driving hole.

Peppas
14th February 2011, 10:35 PM
I haven't heard back from Coffs so not sure what we're doing yet. Saturday looks pretty busy that day, if worse came to worse we could go Sunday and then it'd definitely be a social round.

Peppas
14th February 2011, 10:36 PM
I miss that place and being a member there. The 16th was a great risk-reward driving hole.

Yeah I hate when I choose that hole to drop kick my drive into the shit. All fun though :)

Peppas
18th February 2011, 04:57 PM
This will probably be changed to Sunday if it goes ahead, Saturday is all booked out :(

Nuffie
19th February 2011, 12:06 AM
That place must be starting to get a few members. At the price membership was there 3 years ago and prob what it sort of still is, best track and test in the Illawarra by far.

MegaWatty
19th February 2011, 12:43 AM
Do they allow GPS/Rangefinders there? I'm sure they do but don't want to turn up and be DQ'd.

Grunt
19th February 2011, 11:14 AM
That place must be starting to get a few members. At the price membership was there 3 years ago and prob what it sort of still is, best track and test in the Illawarra by far.

You are joking aren't you? It might be the cheapest but is certainly not the best.

Coffs_Hacker
19th February 2011, 11:47 AM
Its booked out next week due to their foursomes champs on in the morning and normal comp from mid morning onwards. Tried calling port kembla and they wont allow outsiders in their sat comp.

WBennett
19th February 2011, 12:08 PM
Tried calling port kembla and they wont allow outsiders in their sat comp.
That's what we found. We had no problem getting on at The Grange. Not the best track but not the worst, they have welcomed us into their comp with open arms!

Peppas
19th February 2011, 07:01 PM
Sunday no good for you Coffs?

jimandr
20th February 2011, 04:45 PM
Please erase my faint pencil placement into this game. My sore back, while a bit better, isn't totally recovered. So I'm not going to risk any practice swings for another week or so.

Maybe next time.

Jono
22nd February 2011, 02:48 PM
What time are you guys playing?

Peppas
22nd February 2011, 03:46 PM
We had to can this as no spots were left by the time we got our acts together...

Gomer
23rd February 2011, 12:45 PM
Book it for another weekend and I will tag along. :) Thats if you don't mind a newbie hacker.

Nuffie
25th February 2011, 07:44 PM
You are joking aren't you? It might be the cheapest but is certainly not the best.

Has it gone downhill of recent? I remember when first playing The Links I loved it and joined the following week. I played Port Kembla, The Grange and Wollongong before this and for me, The Links won hands down for layout and degree of difficulty. Then again I compare the quality of just about every course in Australia to Cabramatta, as it's where I've played the most golf.

For me, Kiama was the best kept in the Illawarra. But all the other courses were very flat, back and forth with usual treelines. Wollongong was a bit hilly in places and quite difficult when the wind got up. But The Links is exposed to even more wind.

In 2008 the faiways and bunkering needed more $$$ put into them as they weren't really kicking on (wrong sand and fertiliser used IMO). But the layout had loads of potential. They could make it even longer and harder if they wanted to try. I can picture tough tournaments being held there for the south coast in years to come - if they get the conditions right. I miss that place...

AND MegaWatty's folks are living right next to it - with a view boasting half the back nine and a Saddleback Mountain backdrop.

Mmm... time to organise the next golfing holiday me thinks...