PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a driver.

morgy
12th February 2011, 05:49 PM
I am currently not carrying a driver due to the fact I can't hit one. I own a few (understatement) but I don't have anything I can hit.

I can hit my 13.5* 909F2 a decent length, about 240 on a good day, and very consistently. So, I don't really need a driver for 4s.... However, as I am approaching a decent standard of golf I'd like to be able to go at the par 5s in 2....

I hit a really penetrating ball flight with a slight draw with the 3 wood as I feel fully comfortable clearing my hands through the ball with the smaller head. With the driver, I hit a shocking slice..... Looks like i play off 36. I can't clear my hands through the ball as the head feels light and laggy. I am after something that is a bit heavier and behaves like a 3 wood.

Any ideas?

simmsy
12th February 2011, 06:00 PM
this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Adams-Speedline-9064LS-9-5-C2-Chad-Campbell-400-cc-Head-/270694866739?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item3f06abdf33#ht_608wt_905

at 400cc it will feel and look alot smaller than most drivers you come across and should be loooonnngg!

morgy
12th February 2011, 06:27 PM
Ill check it out. Much chance I could demo one in oz?

dave1
12th February 2011, 06:41 PM
recommending a driver is like trying to recommending a girfreind....it might look sexy but it can end in disaster

do your research get fitted...same with girls

simmsy
12th February 2011, 06:51 PM
no try out as many girls as you can, sure you drop a few dollars along the way until you meet the right one but hey you have some fun, a few blues a few wins and then all will be right with the world at some point.

LowTee
12th February 2011, 07:18 PM
Morgy i agree with the above, grab a whole bunch (if you can) from the pro shop and try them out on the range not using range balls and see how they go if you have one that you like the look of then get fitted if possible it will definitely help

TheNuclearOne
12th February 2011, 07:25 PM
You might be a good candidate (to try out) for the heavier and shorter brigade, possibly with generous loft to boot. 44 inches, a shaft about 10 grams heavier and a tip weight so the SW falls ok. But yes, try out as many as you can.

razaar
12th February 2011, 07:31 PM
Morgy

Spend your money on a lesson or two specifically aimed at the driver. It would be a waste of money shelling out for another driver that will probably give you the exact same result.

It works like this. When we set up at address we set the plane of the swing. If the address position is flawed the plane of the swing will be flawed in relation to the ball/target line. Lets say the set-up is spot on. To keep the club on plane (in the through-swing) you have to fit your body to the plane and return through the address position. A good teaching pro will advise you where you are going wrong and how to fix it.

Outcast
12th February 2011, 07:32 PM
I am currently not carrying a driver due to the fact I can't hit one. I own a few (understatement) but I don't have anything I can hit.

I can hit my 13.5* 909F2 a decent length, about 240 on a good day, and very consistently. So, I don't really need a driver for 4s.... However, as I am approaching a decent standard of golf I'd like to be able to go at the par 5s in 2....

I hit a really penetrating ball flight with a slight draw with the 3 wood as I feel fully comfortable clearing my hands through the ball with the smaller head. With the driver, I hit a shocking slice..... Looks like i play off 36. I can't clear my hands through the ball as the head feels light and laggy. I am after something that is a bit heavier and behaves like a 3 wood.

Any ideas?

Is the 907D2 not working for you anymore Morgy??

3oneday
12th February 2011, 07:40 PM
Get one that swallows.

Sorry, dave1 threw me ;)

G10, hit one today, stoopid easy.

davepuppies
12th February 2011, 07:55 PM
If you want a smaller heavier head, i reckon you cant go past the Titleist 905s. 400CC and very low spin.

Is the longest driver i have hit.

goonie
12th February 2011, 09:38 PM
It sounds like which ever driver you go with you would benefit from a shorter and heavier shaft.

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2011, 09:44 PM
The only driver I will recommend i's Morgan Freeman.

Take it from another guy who struggled with the driver for a while, while he could hit the fairway all day with a 3 wood and be 25m past Simmsy's driver. Whatever you get, cut it to 44.5". It has made a world of difference for me. YounalreDy hit it long enough. Get yourself a big stick that isn't much longer than your 3 wood and you'll be fine.

simmsy
12th February 2011, 09:46 PM
a hole!

lov'n the avatar though.

morgy
12th February 2011, 10:09 PM
Morgy

Spend your money on a lesson or two specifically aimed at the driver. It would be a waste of money shelling out for another driver that will probably give you the exact same result.

It works like this. When we set up at address we set the plane of the swing. If the address position is flawed the plane of the swing will be flawed in relation to the ball/target line. Lets say the set-up is spot on. To keep the club on plane (in the through-swing) you have to fit your body to the plane and return through the address position. A good teaching pro will advise you where you are going wrong and how to fix it.

I'm too scared mate... I'm hitting everything else brilliant at the moment, last time I got a lesson I couldn't get the ball off the ground for 3 months.

morgy
12th February 2011, 10:10 PM
Is the 907D2 not working for you anymore Morgy??

Great club, best driver I've had... I stupidly gave it to a junior at my club after I purchased the new Titty driver which I now cannot hit....

Either way, I'm looking for something a bit more consistent.

morgy
12th February 2011, 10:12 PM
If you want a smaller heavier head, i reckon you cant go past the Titleist 905s. 400CC and very low spin.

Is the longest driver i have hit.

anyone got a spare?

Also, recommendations for a heavier shaft? I'll almost certainly be cutting it down to 44.5 or even 44....

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2011, 10:15 PM
go 44.5" to start. i didn't go heavy as well and it as worked. it could be too much of a shock to the system.

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2011, 10:16 PM
a hole!

lov'n the avatar though.

thanks buddy. i was laughing the whole time it was getting made.

TheTrueReview
12th February 2011, 10:36 PM
Morgy

Morgy, what Razaar said.

Btw. Nike VR Tour -> 420cc head.

BroKar
12th February 2011, 10:52 PM
got a Superfast playing 45 with Fubuki 73 you can have

morgy
12th February 2011, 11:06 PM
got a Superfast playing 45 with Fubuki 73 you can have

for free? that's generous.... :)

dave1
13th February 2011, 11:50 PM
no try out as many girls as you can, sure you drop a few dollars along the way until you meet the right one but hey you have some fun, a few blues a few wins and then all will be right with the world at some point.

hello ebay

probably can get a chick off the net these days as well

I went through 5 drivers in 2 years...finlaly found one now I will use forever...cobra s9-1 pro S 9.5...luv it

when i was (20 which was ages ago) would go through 5 women in 2 years too so the comparison isnt a silly one 8-)

have to say though going through women was more hazardous to my health than going through drivers...

women burn more cash in your wallet than one driver too......

Yossarian
14th February 2011, 12:29 AM
They make your subseventy pants all dirty as well!

dave1
14th February 2011, 02:59 AM
yep......

just on the subs though....i wouldnt buy anything else again...fit wise super...