PDA

View Full Version : My round of golf today!

nick
2nd June 2004, 06:54 PM
OK, so I get waked up at 5:45am this morning (thanks mum) and get ready for my round of golf with the three best players I've ever played with.
1. Ashley Marsey-Used to play on tour, is currently teaching a lot, but has been getting into the Von Nida tour events (like the Australian Nationwide tour), I work with him and he hits a very nice ball.
2. Josh Lane-Von Nida touring proffesional and is going to be playing some events overseas, he is the touring proffesional for my club and he has the best short game I've ever seen.
3. Adam Groom-Asian PGA, Australisian PGA, European Challenge tour and European tour proffesional-he is a member at my club and I know him pretty good, hes a great player.

And finally, rounding out the foursome, me! I'm an 8 marker ( , I hate my handicap), and very excited for the round.

Well, we started out at the 9th tee at Long Reef Golf Course (for the people that have played it, it was in great condition), and I hit forst and hit a duff hook, the rest of them all hit bad drives aswell, I proceeded to duff one then hit 3 wood over the back of the green (par 5), and eventually made 5, they all made 4. We were playing for money and I had 8 shots but after 9 holes, I was in the lead with 1 under while they were all around even par and 1 over.

So I'm playing pretty consistantly and making some nice putts while their just cruising along, then we get to the 18th tee and I go right and they all hit good drives, we all end up short, they make par, I make bogey.

The next hole, I hit my drive into the hazard (1st hole, I didnt think I could reach it, its like 260+ metres away!), and they all hit OK drives, they all make 5, I make 7 , in the next 8 holes, I go from even par to 8 over thanks to some stupid decisions, trying to drive greens, etc.

Anyway, Adam Groom ends up winning with 2 under (he hit it terrible aswell), and John Lane and Ashley Marsey both had even par while I shoot 8 over .

It made me realise that pros dont go for much and they dont need to, sure, they can hit the shot but why when their is an easier way to do it, I learnt a lot today about golf and how to play it and I will take that lesson to the course next time with me.

It was a great feeling beating these pros (who were all very good players), but if I played smart, I think I still could have won off scratch, no joking, my handicap is not a good showing of how I play.

Thats it for me,

Nick

Onewood
2nd June 2004, 07:25 PM
Nick
It's always good to play with good player's 8)

What you have found, sounds like some good course management means a lot to shooting good scores :D

jaster
2nd June 2004, 07:36 PM
Great post Nick, you had a very good experience today and one that I am sure will turn you into a better golfer. I am jealous mate!! Until I started forgetting about driver on every hole and working on my weaknesses I was an 8 handicapper as well :) Go for it mate 8)

Golfgirl
2nd June 2004, 08:10 PM
Sounds like you had a great day out, Nick, and learnt some valuable lessons.... :D

My golf is always out of sight when I play against Matt... and he hates it because I nearly always beat him handicap matchplay... today I had him 4 down with 4 to go so he gave me a big psych out (comment on how I was setting up) and I lost the next 4 holes to square the match.... :lol: :lol: (Hate it when he does that.... :wink: )

terryand
2nd June 2004, 08:15 PM
GG i thought you would have the upper hand with any psych battle you might have with Matt.

Know what I mean :smt047 :smt058

Terry.

Golfgirl
2nd June 2004, 08:29 PM
GG i thought you would have the upper hand with any psych battle you might have with Matt.

Know what I mean :smt047 :smt058

Terry.

Damn.... didn't think of that.... :roll: :lol: :lol:

Maybe next time... :lol: :D

jaster
2nd June 2004, 08:38 PM
Settle you 2 otherwise you might get a few of the lads excited :roll:

Jarro
2nd June 2004, 09:12 PM
I'M EXCITED :shock: :smt118 :smt079 =P~

jaster
2nd June 2004, 09:18 PM
I'm scared :shock: [-o< :smt096

McMw
2nd June 2004, 10:41 PM
It made me realise that pros dont go for much and they dont need to, sure, they can hit the shot but why when their is an easier way to do it, I learnt a lot today about golf and how to play it and I will take that lesson to the course next time with me.

I think this will be the most impt lesson you should take note off...
Play with any low markers, and the key to their low scoring is not how many birdies they make, but how many bogeys they keep off the card!!! :shock:

Great Experience that must have been.
Wished I will have that opp soon to play with decent players, and see what I'll need to do...
Some frigging co-ordination and talent would be a start, no doubt!!! :roll: :roll:

goughy
3rd June 2004, 04:37 AM
Well done nick. What a group to get a game with.

Fishman Dan
3rd June 2004, 08:08 AM
Well i've found a worthy partner to play with in Sydney! ;) Fine, i'll let you organise a round of golf with me then :D

Great post, sounds like a great group to play with. I often lift my game when playing with better players. I haven't played Long Reef for 15 years (since i was at school), but i really loved it - a great course. Love to play there again some time but not very easy for public access on weekends.. :(

nick
4th June 2004, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I learnt heaps but I learnt more when me and Josh Lane went back to my home club and he showed me how to practice my putting, it was great!

Nick