PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest Swing on Tour? - Tommy 'Two Gloves' Gainey

matty
7th February 2011, 09:42 AM
I'll be buggered how Tommy Gainey is leading the final round of the Phoenix Open. He must have the strongest grip on tour and amonst the ugliest swings I've ever seen. He's starting to spray a few now the pressure is mounting.

It's a deadset hackers swing. I know Gainey's swing is bought back on plane etc etc but it's hilarious to watch.

Which other former or current tour player's swing would be as ugly as Gainey's?

Stuartd147
7th February 2011, 10:17 AM
Bubba and his way open stance and chicken wing finish....but heh....isn't it great to see people winning without "robot" swings...there is still hope for us mere mortals yet!

sol381
7th February 2011, 10:22 AM
have a look through history and youll see some average swings.. palmer, trevino, player, eamon darcy(just terrible), jim furyk. its not what you do in your swing its how you make contact with the ball. ray floyd to me comes through the ball better than anyone.. swinging is only half the game. most of these guys had great short games and could putt really well. all these modern day clones with the same perfect swing will be lucky to win anything, all they care about is how they look. just goes to show its a lot to do with feel and what works for you.

tommys swing isnt great but its not that bad.. looks like the guys can putt pretty well tho.

Minor_Threat
7th February 2011, 10:42 AM
Bubba and his way open stance and chicken wing finish....but heh....isn't it great to see people winning without "robot" swings...there is still hope for us mere mortals yet!I agree with Stu, I love the strange and NATURAL swings, not a fan of the "robots" these days either..

matty
7th February 2011, 11:07 AM
They said earlier Chris Couch, who is up there on the leaderboard, chips and hits his bunker shots, crosshanded. All other shots are hit 'normally'.

Eag's
7th February 2011, 11:39 AM
It really doesn't matter what the golf swing looks like as long as it is repeatable.
Sure Gainey swings it like an octopus falling down a flight of stairs, but he keeps returning the club face back to square at impact.
Floyd & Furyk fit in the same mould, ugly but reapeatable

BayBum
7th February 2011, 12:37 PM
I dunno what it is about his swing but watching Villegas gets on my nerves.It looks like hes trying to punch every shot he plays,ugh.His swing has gotten progressivly worse over time imo.

AdamsPop
7th February 2011, 01:34 PM
Villegas has the pause at the top of the swing - looks like his hitting at a baseball.

Bubba has the ugliest swing for mine. The way he just seems to sit back on his left foot in the follow through - yuck. And you can always tell if he's going for the draw because he has that exaggerated follow through.

There's a fine line between ugly and beautiful though. I look at Rickie Fowler's swing and thinks it might be both!

Stuartd147
7th February 2011, 01:35 PM
Apparantly Gainey has a baseball background. On the coverage this morning they put a top baseballer next to Gainey's golf swing and compared the two for take away, grip, follow through, etc...he mirrored the baseball hit. At impact his club was square and solid. Must work he hit an 8 iron uphill to 202 yard par 3 and a wedge to 165....what the?

Hamo84
7th February 2011, 01:48 PM
There isnt anything pretty about Kenny Perry's swing but I suppose like Furyk's its repeatable and I guess that is why it works

Veefore
7th February 2011, 01:59 PM
I think one of the great ironies of this sport is that everyone is trying to chase the "perfect" looking swing.

Very few of the games great ballstrikers had copybook swings. Their swings all fit their bodies and their strengths and weaknesses. That was why they were so repeatable. Many of today's players struggle against their natural tendencies for their whole careers, trying to emulate whatever the curren't "perfect" swing is supposed to look like.

mike
7th February 2011, 02:24 PM
I've never seen him swing. I read this thread and switched the golf on to see for myself. Hell it's so bad it's hilarious.

But I agree with this from MT
I love the strange and NATURAL swings, not a fan of the "robots" these days either..

fwiw I actually quite like Furyk's swing.

dc68
7th February 2011, 02:40 PM
Furyk has the ugliest swing by far. Add the fact he is a freaky looking turd and it's hate all round.

MegaWatty
7th February 2011, 02:44 PM
I just ordered my old man a glove for each hand to try and help with the arthritis that's he's starting to suffer. He also holds it baseball grip cross handed. I guess he'll be called Tommy shortly when he joins Shell Cove!

sms316
7th February 2011, 05:13 PM
There isnt anything pretty about Kenny Perry's swing but I suppose like Furyk's its repeatable and I guess that is why it works

Kenny Perry's swing is far from perfect, but jeez he sets it in a great spot at the top. I'd take his swing any day.

razaar
7th February 2011, 06:32 PM
Apparantly Gainey has a baseball background. On the coverage this morning they put a top baseballer next to Gainey's golf swing and compared the two for take away, grip, follow through, etc...he mirrored the baseball hit. At impact his club was square and solid. Must work he hit an 8 iron uphill to 202 yard par 3 and a wedge to 165....what the?

He even has his left thumb wrapped around the grip. I wish he would be in contention every week, he is fun to watch.

razaar
7th February 2011, 06:35 PM
They said earlier Chris Couch, who is up there on the leaderboard, chips and hits his bunker shots, crosshanded. All other shots are hit 'normally'.

It wasn't so long ago that Peter Senior hit his chips and short pitches left hand low.

razaar
7th February 2011, 06:40 PM
I think one of the great ironies of this sport is that everyone is trying to chase the "perfect" looking swing.

Very few of the games great ballstrikers had copybook swings. Their swings all fit their bodies and their strengths and weaknesses. That was why they were so repeatable. Many of today's players struggle against their natural tendencies for their whole careers, trying to emulate whatever the curren't "perfect" swing is supposed to look like.

Don't agree, todays young players are very technically correct, especially those who come through college and schools such as our Institute of Sport

Tongueboy
7th February 2011, 06:44 PM
Bill Haas swing is sweet

Eag's
7th February 2011, 06:54 PM
I am a big fan of Mark Wilson's swing, poetry in motion.

TheTrueReview
7th February 2011, 07:10 PM
I'll take a fluid swing any day. Whilst the following may not apply to 'two gloves', is it not that case that Furyk's 'waving all over the place' swing leaks a lot of power?

simmsy
7th February 2011, 07:31 PM
saw this guy over the w'end, if that guy can make the tour there is hope for all of us out there that is horrible.

i reckon if you saw that guy at your local range just hit two wacks you would think lucky shot by that 15hc!

Veefore
7th February 2011, 07:57 PM
Don't agree, todays young players are very technically correct, especially those who come through college and schools such as our Institute of Sport

Yep, they are very "technically" correct. Just not great ball strikers.

razaar
7th February 2011, 09:21 PM
Yep, they are very "technically" correct. Just not great ball strikers.

What would you call a great ball striker? Any player who makes it to the USPGA Tour or European Tour? Top 200 in the world? Top 50 amateurs in the world? A player who relies on athletic ability and youth to achieve results - what happens to this player in his mid 30's when what they got away with as a young man no longer works. There is a reason why teachers refer back to Hogan's swing - he was technically correct which enabled him to achieve his best ball striking years when he was in his 50's.
Why did Greg Norman and Nick Faldo change their swings in their mid 30's? Because they realized that if they didn't get "technically correct" they may as well quit and try some other line of work. Seve is a great example of what happens to a great ball striker, who wasn't technically correct and who relied on youth and athletic ability to do the job and hope for the best.

idgolfguy
7th February 2011, 10:11 PM
Consistency to get you there, longevity to keep you there.
We all know that golf can be played with a crappy swing that gives a predictable result.

MegaWatty
7th February 2011, 11:30 PM
How many millions do you need? One or 2 wins, a few top 10's. Some nice endorsements. Thanks for coming!

Veefore
8th February 2011, 12:55 AM
What would you call a great ball striker? Any player who makes it to the USPGA Tour or European Tour? Top 200 in the world? Top 50 amateurs in the world? A player who relies on athletic ability and youth to achieve results - what happens to this player in his mid 30's when what they got away with as a young man no longer works. There is a reason why teachers refer back to Hogan's swing - he was technically correct which enabled him to achieve his best ball striking years when he was in his 50's.
Why did Greg Norman and Nick Faldo change their swings in their mid 30's? Because they realized that if they didn't get "technically correct" they may as well quit and try some other line of work. Seve is a great example of what happens to a great ball striker, who wasn't technically correct and who relied on youth and athletic ability to do the job and hope for the best.

I apologise for my reply. It didn't add anything to the thread and didn't explain what I meant anyway.

I think either you are misunderstanding what I am really trying to say or I am just saying it poorly.
I know that you are a real student of the modern swing and I'm definitely out in left field and on my own with my opinion. I don't really expect to convert anyone to my view but I'll try to explain it anyway. It will be very hard without becoming too verbose but here goes. :)

Now I am not saying that the modern swing technique is better or worse.That has nothing really to do with my point. My point is that the further one gets from their natural physical motion the more likely the player is to be constantly fighting themselves to play well. The more likely they are to have that rogue shot in them. Especially under pressure. There are lots of pros with great looking swings but they can't keep the ball going where they want it for 18 holes. Especially the final 18 when they are in contention.

Obviously, a perfectly natural swing will see most of us never breaking 100 but the really great ballstrikers were often breaking 80 or even 70 and hitting it well before they ever sought out instruction.

Sure the players with the textbook swing hit it very well when they make that textbook swing. But so did the players with the old textbook swing, and the one before that that is considered so wrong now. But by straying too far from what is natural to them a lot of these players are reliant on constant tune-ups. Without someone to keep putting them back on track they are just lost. Their swing decays and they don't have the ability to fix it.

This is what I see as the major difference between the good and great ballstrikers. On their day, anyone of them can hit it good. But on their off day, the player that "owns" his swing will still hit it pretty good.

I won't go into the players you named or this post will go on forever (has it already?)

But just quickly,
Seve actually had one arm longer than the other and hit the ball great until he started trying to modify his swing to match what was the "preferred" technique on tour at the time. The more he tinkered the worse it got though. In the end, he was like Baker-Finch, taking swing advise from anyone who would speak to him.

progroover.com
8th February 2011, 02:01 AM
Rocco.....

Sydney Hacker
8th February 2011, 07:04 AM

I just wish they would spend some more time teaching the aussie guys how to putt under pressure. That seems to be the area that our players fall down on most, look at Adam Scott & John Senden, swings to die for but at the level they play at terrible with the putter.

razaar
8th February 2011, 07:36 AM
Veefore

Have you read "SEVE Ryder Cup Hero" by Lauren St John? Seve like Norman, Faldo, Baker-finch, Tiger and every golf pro who lusts after major championships has to review their golf swing when they reach their mid 30's. Seve turned to his great friend Mac O'Grady (who also advised Greg Norman to change his action) for help. O'Grady tried to flatten his swing and make his lower body action more centred but Seve couldn't commit to the changes until they were imbedded. Baker-finch was encouraged by Peter Thompson to change his swing and hooked up with Leadbetter and his assistant Mitchell Spearman. They turned his swing into one of the best on the planet. But golf being what it is, Ian got into a slump and started playing poorly. Like Norman, Tiger and many good players, he started to get the club stuck underneath and inside on the way down. He was given advice from Nicklaus, Payne Stewart, O'Meara, Steven Bann, Gary Edwin, Leadbetter. But he just couldn't make it work when he had a score card in his pocket. The end came when he shot 92 in the opening round of the 1997 British Open at Troon.

Getting back to " great ball strikers" - this is a reasonable definition.

Definition: Most simply put, "ball striking" is just a reference to the full swing. A golfer who is said to be a great ballstriker is one who excels at the full swing.
A little more in-depth, ball striking refers to a golfer's ability to put the clubface on the ball at impact in the desired manner, time after time, and with great command. When you hear that this or that golfer is a great ballstriker, there is also the implication that the golfer can make the ball do what he or she wants - that the golfer possesses a great ability to work the ball (producing the desired amount of fade or draw, for example). Which goes back to the above: put the clubface on the ball at impact in the desired manner, time after time, and with great command.
Ben Hogan and Lee Trevino are often offered up as examples of the greatest ballstrikers because they were highly gifted at the full swing shots - they had extraordinary consistency in their swings, and were able, with great precision, to make the ball go where they wanted it to go.
Ball striking is also a statistical category tracked by professional golf tours that is a measure of a golfer's combined abilities in driving and hitting greens. To produce its Ball Striking rankings, the PGA Tour combines a player's ranking in Total Driving and Greens in Regulation. For example, Player A ranks 17th in Total Driving and first in GIR. Add those two numbers together for a value of 18. If that's the lowest such value, then Player A is No. 1 in Ball Striking.

3oneday
8th February 2011, 08:07 AM
Yep

Veefore
8th February 2011, 11:31 AM
Razaar,

I haven't seen that book. I'll have to have a look around for it.

In regards to the rest of your post, I am definitely not getting my message across. Your comments are arguing a different point to that which I am trying to make. And in fact the Ballstriking definition highlights one of the points I raised.
"Which goes back to the above: put the clubface on the ball at impact in the desired manner, time after time, and with great command.
"
In a nutshell, what I am trying to say is that everyone has their physical limitations and some can't even make what is considered a technically correct swing. This was something I originally learnt from a physiotherapist I was seeing about my back. He was just completing his Masters in Biomechanics and went on to work at the WA Institute of Sport. I feel that the truly great ballstrikers have great swings but they are all within their physical capabilities and use the players strengths.
The further a player gets from this the more they struggle with consistency.
The great ballstrikers all have their little idiosncrasies that are unique to them. They are not textbook perfect.

This I feel is also a point that separates a great teacher from a poor teacher. There is a bloke here who teaches TGM exclusively. He's been to America and studied to be a teacher of TGM. He can tell you exactly what he thinks a swing is supposed to look like. He is a nice bloke but he has no concept other than what is in the book. He has messed up a lot of golfers because he just doesn't understand the limitations of his players physique. All he sees is angles and positions. I watched him take a QLD state representative player who had not lost a match in the state series that year and ruin him in 2 hours. The player lost badly the next day.

On the other hand, there is a local teacher who has had a lot of success with players of all levels (including a number of tour pros) who is sought out by people with injuries and disabilities because of his ability to make them better golfers. He knows how to get the best out of their bodies and to tailor his instruction to use their strengths and minimise their weaknesses.

I don't really disagree with anything you have said in any of your posts on the swing and feel that many of the points you raised actually support what I am trying to say. It is just that I am seeing it from a different perspective than you are. But then again, I have always been able to look at things from unusual angles. Its the thing that makes me good at my job.

razaar
8th February 2011, 02:09 PM
Veefore
My posts are tour related in keeping with the thread title. That is where we are at odds.:)

Veefore
8th February 2011, 03:30 PM
Veefore
My posts are tour related in keeping with the thread title. That is where we are at odds.:)

Now I know that you aren't understanding me. I only used non-tour references to expand and try to make it easier to understand where I was coming from.

Outcast
8th February 2011, 03:43 PM
Personally, Jim Furyk's swing is the ugliest I have seen but, man is he consistent...

I'd give my left nut to have an ugly but, consistent and repeatable swing. I get complimented on my swing often, not only by other club golfers but, also by my teaching pro trouble is though that as soon as my tempo drifts off my shot dispersion grows rapidly and in any direction.... It all just kinda gets outta sync...

I'd go with ugly but, repeatable anyday...

mike
8th February 2011, 06:25 PM
Mate you've got a great swing and you're friggin long for someone that ain't that big.

Your trouble is you putt like shit, but you already know that.

Outcast
8th February 2011, 06:31 PM
Your trouble is you putt like shit, but you already know that.

Hey, I'm working on that.... just taking a little time... perhaps I should buy another putter... that'll fix what the last 6 haven't ..... won't it??:mrgreen:

markTHEblake
8th February 2011, 07:24 PM
I'd go with ugly but, repeatable anyday...

Jim Furyk has style in a Moe Norman kinda way. Not sure that anybody would want Eamonn Darcy's swing though for any money :-)

mike
8th February 2011, 07:54 PM
Hey, I'm working on that.... just taking a little time... perhaps I should buy another putter... that'll fix what the last 6 haven't ..... won't it??:mrgreen:Try a broomy.

Outcast
8th February 2011, 08:06 PM
Try a broomy.

Hell NO!!!! I'm not that desperate... I have considered a belly putter once or twice but, no way in hell am I going to demean myself with a broomstick putter!!

mike
8th February 2011, 08:28 PM
Fair enough. I agree anyway, I'd rather putt badly with a conventional putter than putt well with a broomy.

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
9th February 2011, 05:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwVArw9xa8

;0 )

sms316
9th February 2011, 05:18 PM
Fair enough. I agree anyway, I'd rather putt badly with a conventional putter than putt well with a broomy.

TheTrueReview
9th February 2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwVArw9xa8

;0 )

Couldn't watch the end of that Furyk abomination. It hurt my eyes too much.

razaar
9th February 2011, 06:48 PM
Ricky Fowler's swing is another interesting one. Can't see this swing holding up by the time he gets to his thirties. Win 'em quick Ricky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RaQFWSk8gw&feature=related

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
9th February 2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sskWanNH6WU&feature=related

very nice, also no glove :)

dave1
14th February 2011, 12:01 AM
its why i love our game

you can be darn effective with an ugly swing, if he tried to be adam scott he wouldnt even be on the nationwide tour

Jim Furyk has won amajor ...adam scott hasnt

...an ugly swing that repeats is far more effective than a pretty one that collapses under pressure.....I just think its the best part of our game that you dont need to be technically perfect to play the game well......sure it helps but Im from a coaching background (other sports)

and coaching isnt about getting guys perfect at every spot......its about getting it to repeat....

David Duval Ian baker finch and now tiger are destroying their careers by chasing the prerfect swing

I actually really enjoy watching Furyk and gainey.....I see it through different eyes...one that admires a person who sticks to what he knows.....and deosnt try to be something hes not

Toolish
14th February 2011, 07:59 AM
But just quickly,
Seve actually had one arm longer than the other and hit the ball great until he started trying to modify his swing to match what was the "preferred" technique on tour at the time. The more he tinkered the worse it got though. In the end, he was like Baker-Finch, taking swing advise from anyone who would speak to him.

Seve claims it was his back that was the issue causing him to change his swing. Rather than trying to change for an improvement as such.

razaar
14th February 2011, 08:54 AM
its why i love our game

you can be darn effective with an ugly swing, if he tried to be adam scott he wouldnt even be on the nationwide tour

Jim Furyk has won amajor ...adam scott hasnt

...an ugly swing that repeats is far more effective than a pretty one that collapses under pressure.....I just think its the best part of our game that you dont need to be technically perfect to play the game well......sure it helps but Im from a coaching background (other sports)

and coaching isnt about getting guys perfect at every spot......its about getting it to repeat....

David Duval Ian baker finch and now tiger are destroying their careers by chasing the prerfect swing

I actually really enjoy watching Furyk and gainey.....I see it through different eyes...one that admires a person who sticks to what he knows.....and deosnt try to be something hes not
For a start Duval didn't change his swing but changed his physique and found he had picked up vertigo. Ian Baker Finch like Norman, Seve, Faldo had a long wide swing with a reverse C finish (victims of Nichlaus phobia) a technique which only works when one has youthful athleticism and which poses a potential danger to the spine after a certain age. Everybody is guessing when it comes to Tiger because he doesn't say much. I do know that he is trying to eliminate an outside hand action on the takeaway that he acquired when he was with Harmon. Adam Scott's swing still has the action that Tiger is endeavouring to rid himself of. This clip from youtube explains it quite clearly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeANQ4AKcZM

Swing changes these players make are not intended to be technically perfect but are meant to be technically efficient.

dc68
6th March 2011, 08:06 AM
OH MY GOD. Just watching the Honda and having never seen him before (read as take much notice) I would have to say he looks like any
respectable 18 marker getting around on a Satdee. I also have to admit he gets it around very nicely.

3oneday
6th March 2011, 09:14 AM
Is there a reason he wears two gloves ?

They just said he could be mistaken for a 12 marker at any golf club, just as he took triple on 15 (I think :))

Jarro
6th March 2011, 09:24 AM
Wasn't he an ex-baseball player ?

LarryLong
6th March 2011, 01:59 PM
I'd say everybody is an ex-baseball player in the US though.

I guess he wears two gloves because if you really must wear one, you might as wear two for the same reason. :)

dave1
17th March 2011, 12:27 AM
I really admire the hacker within......I rather enjoy wathcing Furyk and Gainey over Adam scott

its why golf is great..because the you dont need to be perfect to play the game well

TheTrueReview
17th March 2011, 05:02 PM
I really admire the hacker within......I rather enjoy wathcing Furyk and Gainey over Adam scott

its why golf is great..because the you dont need to be perfect to play the game well

I treat Gainey a bit like Eddie the Eagle. A novelty.

http://adaptiveblue.img.s3.amazonaws.com/topics/p/eddie_the_eagle_edwards/small

Nuffie
19th March 2011, 05:18 PM
Craig Parry's takeaway has resulted in a few skeptical comments over the years. Now I would love to hit the ball 1/4 as good as he does.

If it is a repeatable action and helps little 'poppeye' position the ball when and where he wants to - time and time again, swing looks can certainly be deceiving of a player's overall success on the scoreboard (meaning with Parry as yet another example, players can often score a lot better than the technicalities of their swings suggest).

idgolfguy
20th March 2011, 03:15 AM
Impact and what happens after us what counts. The rest is past and is of no consequence.

idgolfguy
20th March 2011, 03:20 AM
I treat Gainey a bit like Eddie the Eagle. A novelty.

http://adaptiveblue.img.s3.amazonaws.com/topics/p/eddie_the_eagle_edwards/small

Gainey makes a living plying his art, Eddie doesn't. Bit of a difference there.

Daves
1st May 2011, 05:52 AM
Gainey in the mix yet again. He must be close to securing his 2012 card, if not already across the line.

Daves
22nd October 2012, 08:07 AM
Gainey goes close to shooting a 59 on the way to winning the McGladrey.

razaar
22nd October 2012, 08:12 AM
Excellent stuff, it's not the swing that counts but the clubs in play. CALLAWAY.:)

Jono
22nd October 2012, 09:54 AM
Gainey has a great swing. Not "pretty" perhaps. Heaps of lag, on plane coming down, and quite powerful.

Jono
22nd October 2012, 10:18 AM

Great position coming down. Home made swing not tarnished by any of today's "gurus". (Unlike Michelle Wie who had so much potential when she was 16 and smashing her drives 300 yards. Now at 23, she barely hits it 250-260 yards and no more accurate than she was. And she can't putt.)

Daves
22nd October 2012, 10:20 AM
Watch him today, I noticed how short his backswing looks, and how powerful his leg/foot work is.

Jarro
22nd October 2012, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zbrMkcwLo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Pn0-vWvE

sms316
22nd October 2012, 11:06 AM
Effective, but it looks like a retard trying to hump a doorknob.

sol381
22nd October 2012, 11:43 AM
pics

Effective, but it looks like a retard trying to hump a doorknob.

Sydney Hacker
22nd October 2012, 11:46 AM
Effective, but it looks like a retard trying to hump a doorknob.Otherwise known as a "leftie"

idgolfguy
22nd October 2012, 12:10 PM
Excellent guys :) Remember that I am sheriff in these parts ;) :P
Why? Just looks more bent over, playing with kid-sized irons. Great Takeaway, transition, impact and follow through.

Not sure if I can explain correctly but as he is so far over, much easier to maintain upper rotation while keeping lower half stable. His plane is less inclined and turn seems to be more rotary.

razaar
22nd October 2012, 12:40 PM
The modern golf swing, the swing common to most tour players, has the body on a vertical plane in the backswing and the body on a tilted plane in the forward swing. This bloke starts and finishes on the same tilted body plane. As Dave pointed out he generates his power from his right foot and leg to get his weight across to his left. He also has to thrust his hands forward past the ball position with wrist c0ck* to negate a flip with such a strong left hand grip. Basically he is maintaining the relationship with the club head and the left shoulder for as late as possible without the assistance of a lateral hip movement. Need strength to do this.

Jono
22nd October 2012, 01:03 PM
The modern golf swing, the swing common to most tour players, has the body on a vertical plane in the backswing and the body on a tilted plane in the forward swing. This bloke starts and finishes on the same tilted body plane. As Dave pointed out he generates his power from his right foot and leg to get his weight across to his left. He also has to thrust his hands forward past the ball position with wrist c0ck* to negate a flip with such a strong left hand grip. Basically he is maintaining the relationship with the club head and the left shoulder for as late as possible without the assistance of a lateral hip movement. Need strength to do this.

Sorry Ray. That' a load of BS.

idgolfguy
22nd October 2012, 01:06 PM
And also does have the door knob connotation.

razaar
22nd October 2012, 02:28 PM
Sorry Ray. That' a load of BS.hahaha

Jono
22nd October 2012, 03:12 PM
hahaha

Thought of you being wrong is pretty funny, ey? ;)

razaar
22nd October 2012, 03:19 PM
Your opinion is always funny to me, if it relates to the golf swing. Never take notice of those who can't break 90 and explain their concept of the swing by drawing lines. :)

sms316
22nd October 2012, 03:25 PM
Ray,

Do you think Gainey can ever be more than a plodder who only keeps his card on the basis of getting hot of one month a year?

Captain Nemo
22nd October 2012, 03:28 PM
Your opinion is always funny to me, if it relates to the golf swing. Never take notice of those who can't break 90 and explain their concept of the swing by drawing lines. :)

SNAP!:lol:
I'll just make a coffee and grab some biscuits, this should get interesting....

Jono
22nd October 2012, 03:58 PM

Is it as funny as someone who talks about an "efficient swing" and a "powerful swing" and can't hit it over 200m?

You can go for cheap shots all you like but I don't agree with your analysis or your reasoning.

razaar
22nd October 2012, 04:39 PM
The normal course if one doesn't agree is to put their views forward. Or if one doesn't understand another's point, ask for further details. Posting that's BS is asking for a similar reply. Stop crying sook.:)

Jono
22nd October 2012, 05:18 PM
The normal course if one doesn't agree is to put their views forward. Or if one doesn't understand another's point, ask for further details. Posting that's BS is asking for a similar reply. Stop crying sook.:)

No crying here Raz.

But it is a load of BS. Gainey's swing requires no more strength than your so called "modern swing".

razaar
22nd October 2012, 05:26 PM
No crying here Raz.

But it is a load of BS. Gainey's swing requires no more strength than your so called "modern swing". What is your reasoning for saying that?

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2012, 05:59 PM
Why? Just looks more bent over, playing with kid-sized irons. Great Takeaway, transition, impact and follow through.

Not sure if I can explain correctly but as he is so far over, much easier to maintain upper rotation while keeping lower half stable. His plane is less inclined and turn seems to be more rotary.

I might be mixed up here but

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/6330-Jaster!

Jono
22nd October 2012, 06:30 PM
What is your reasoning for saying that?

Well I would have drawn some diagrams for you but since you dislike them so much, I'll just tell you in words.

Gainey's swing is efficient. It requires less effort and less strength. It does require more mobility in the shoulders and in the back but not more strength. No more than for any other tour swing.

Jono
22nd October 2012, 06:30 PM
I might be mixed up here but

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/6330-Jaster!

I was wondering where he got Jaster's quote from as well ...

razaar
22nd October 2012, 06:49 PM
Ray,

Do you think Gainey can ever be more than a plodder who only keeps his card on the basis of getting hot of one month a year?
Almost missed your post, Shaun. It is an unorthodox swing in that it doesn't have any lateral movement of the Centre Of Mass. Consequently he relies on shear ground reaction forces to drive the forward swing. The interesting thing is he has to use his right foot and leg to get the job done in order to retain the retention of the lag when the hands pass the ball position. To do this takes great strength without assistance of twisting the left hip. He is fun to watch, hey.:)

razaar
22nd October 2012, 06:52 PM
Well I would have drawn some diagrams for you but since you dislike them so much, I'll just tell you in words.

Gainey's swing is efficient. It requires less effort and less strength. It does require more mobility in the shoulders and in the back but not more strength. No more than for any other tour swing.
Check my last post.

Jono
22nd October 2012, 06:54 PM
Check my last post.

I did. More BS...

razaar
22nd October 2012, 07:00 PM
I did. More BS...
hahaha

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2012, 07:03 PM
Swing theory at 10 cyber paces, i likee.

Jarro
22nd October 2012, 07:06 PM
Swing theory at 10 cyber paces, i likee.

As long as it remains a civil arguement ;)

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2012, 07:09 PM

I've been sorta expecting a mod maybe lol

JADO75
22nd October 2012, 07:44 PM
I'm only a d*#khead & not smart enough to explain too many things but it looks like a powerful swing, not takes power to perform it. Like the commentators said, its a baseball swing hitting a golf ball.

Jono
22nd October 2012, 07:59 PM

OK.

Ray, what you say is Bovine Excrement!

;)

muldude
22nd October 2012, 08:19 PM
Almost missed your post, Shaun. It is an unorthodox swing in that it doesn't have any lateral movement of the Centre Of Mass. Consequently he relies on shear ground reaction forces to drive the forward swing. The interesting thing is he has to use his right foot and leg to get the job done in order to retain the retention of the lag when the hands pass the ball position. To do this takes great strength without assistance of twisting the left hip. He is fun to watch, hey.:)

All I see is blah blah blah..... He is fun to watch, hey.:)

razaar
22nd October 2012, 08:38 PM
I'm only a d*#khead & not smart enough to explain too many things but it looks like a powerful swing, not takes power to perform it. Like the commentators said, its a baseball swing hitting a golf ball.
Have you ever played baseball? Two of my lads played in National teams, one in the US at Tampa and Chicago. Jono has met the youngest. Trust me This blokes swing is nothing like a baseball swing at the top. Everything is set up directly over the rear foot and everything moves into the centre with a forward lateral move. That comment on YouTube is BS.

sms316
22nd October 2012, 08:42 PM
Almost missed your post, Shaun. It is an unorthodox swing in that it doesn't have any lateral movement of the Centre Of Mass. Consequently he relies on shear ground reaction forces to drive the forward swing. The interesting thing is he has to use his right foot and leg to get the job done in order to retain the retention of the lag when the hands pass the ball position. To do this takes great strength without assistance of twisting the left hip. He is fun to watch, hey.:) He is certainly better to watch than he is to listen to. I wonder if he has had any basic education at all?

razaar
22nd October 2012, 08:45 PM
All I see is blah blah blah..... He is fun to watch, hey.:)
Excellent post.

Jono
22nd October 2012, 08:54 PM
That comment on YouTube is BS.

we agree on something. ;)

Jono
22nd October 2012, 09:07 PM
Actually, it's not total BS. There are some similarities with a baseball swing but not due to the reasons Peter Kostis outlined.

IamViva
22nd October 2012, 09:23 PM
Actually, it's not total BS. There are some similarities with a baseball swing but not due to the reasons Peter Kostis outlined.

it's because he wears two gloves isn't it...

idgolfguy
22nd October 2012, 11:47 PM
I was wondering where he got Jaster's quote from as well ...
Am I missing something here?

mike
23rd October 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #69 mate. You quoted Jaster's post from 8 years ago. Seemed a bit bizarre.

TheNuclearOne
23rd October 2012, 06:30 AM
Jaster's passed away ages ago too, or am i mixed up.

Captain Nemo
23rd October 2012, 07:52 AM
I watched his last 6 holes on FOX last night.
Who cares what his swing looks like (some of you obviuosly do).
He gets the club square at impact, hits it pretty straight and long and putts ok.
Oh and he won over $1m so good for him, lot more than us choppers bitching about it on the internet!:lol:

Sydney Hacker
23rd October 2012, 08:16 AM
Ray,Do you think Gainey can ever be more than a plodder who only keeps his card on the basis of getting hot of one month a year?Is plodder really the right term for him? Playing on the PGA Tour, 1 win, $1.5m in prize money. I wouldn't mind being a plodder of that level! If he gets hot one month of the year and earns $1.5m a year good luck to him, a lot harder ways of making a living for a lot less money!

sms316
23rd October 2012, 08:18 AM
Is plodder really the right term for him? Playing on the PGA Tour, 1 win, $1.5m in prize money. I wouldn't mind being a plodder of that level! If he gets hot one month of the year and earns $1.5m a year good luck to him, a lot harder ways of making a living for a lot less money! Not sure if plodder is the right term but it is certainly more profitable get a couple of podiums a year and do bigger all else than make most cuts but finish 50th each week.

razaar
23rd October 2012, 08:47 AM
Golf is a numbers game, it's all about how many not how at the end of the day. Still most golfers are fascinated about the golf swing and I am a self confessed swing geek. I have never been an equipment geek because early on I realised that golf clubs are only instruments and don't swing themselves.

One of Ben Hogan's quotes is one of the truest tips about the golf swing IMO.
"Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come close to having a perfect golf swing."
In other words, the players with the perfect swings are deliberately performing actions which are the reverse of what an average golfer assumed they are doing from what he sees.:)

Jarro
23rd October 2012, 08:52 AM
I'm glad he won ... guys like him are good for the game of golf.

There are too many robots out there on Tour gunning for the quest for the perfect swing.

Mububban
23rd October 2012, 12:14 PM
He won USD$720,000 for his maiden Tour win. He's earnt $3.6 million on the PGA tour and half a million on the web.com tour, so he's doing okay. Lucky he didn't give it away which apparently he considered. Check his earnings and cuts made by year from the dropdown list:

http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/030750/tommy-gainey/career/#uber

So yeah, he's doing better than most of us :D

Vice MC
23rd October 2012, 12:20 PM
Good onya 2 gloves....killed that course Sunday!

Leon Phelps
23rd October 2012, 02:16 PM
He's got a face not even his mother would love.....

Jarro
23rd October 2012, 03:22 PM
He's got a face not even his mother would love.....

You can tell him if you like ;)

Daves
15th January 2013, 11:32 AM
A couple of interesting views of the Gainey swing. I don't know that there would be many players strong enough to hold off through impact like he does;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zbrMkcwLo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbGzxE7P0bI

LoveGolf2012
15th January 2013, 11:36 AM
i would not let that swing cut my wood !

Daves
15th January 2013, 01:55 PM
i would not let that swing cut my wood !

Yet he shot the lowest round on tour last season. You certainly wouldn't want to emulate it, but interesting how he gets to such a good impact position. Did Jono say he thought Gainey flipped it? I would have thought that it was one of the most anti flip swings going, based on how I understand a flip.

razaar
15th January 2013, 02:28 PM
There is no flip there Dave. He manages to to start the downswing by turning his hips back towards his right foot. It is a unique action that he has made his own. Good for him, he is fun to watch.

Jono
15th January 2013, 03:44 PM
Yet he shot the lowest round on tour last season. You certainly wouldn't want to emulate it, but interesting how he gets to such a good impact position. Did Jono say he thought Gainey flipped it? I would have thought that it was one of the most anti flip swings going, based on how I understand a flip.

No, Jono didn't say that. ;)

I love Gainey's swing and whilst it looks unorthodox, there are many things to learn from it.

It's Brian Gay that I said stalls and flips at it.

Daves
15th January 2013, 03:48 PM
No, Jono didn't say that. ;)

I love Gainey's swing and whilst it looks unorthodox, there are many things to learn from it.

It's Brian Gay that I said stalls and flips at it.

ahh, so 'twas.