PDA

View Full Version : Pennants 2011

Pages : [1] 2

Minor_Threat
4th February 2011, 11:38 AM
I don't think there is an existing thread for Pennats 2011?

Anyway who is playing?

Newcastle district starts this Sunday. I have made the squad and have no idea what position I will be playing?

First game is at Charlestown v Toronto. Interesting rule change this year, "No alcohol to be consumed during play.."

golfbound
4th February 2011, 01:15 PM
how does pennants work anyway

AndyP
4th February 2011, 01:20 PM
I'm hopeful of playing for my club, Wolston Park, in BDGA Div 4. I think I am a good chance and I've always wanted to play pennants.

The season doesn't start until the first Sunday in April. I won't be playing any great golf courses with Jindalee, Ashgrove, Sandgate and Nudgee College as the opponents.

The alcohol rule is an existing rule up here.

AndyP
4th February 2011, 01:22 PM
how does pennants work anywayRepresenting your club in individual matchplay.

BDGA Rules: http://www.bdga.org.au/index.php/pennants/rules/pennants/

BayBum
4th February 2011, 01:35 PM
Only 1 round of match play ? No fourball during singles or 4somes in the morning & singles in arvo ?.I only skimmed through the rules but singles was the only format i read on there.

Back home i played Div 2 36 hole pennants.4somes in the morning & singles in the arvo.The season has just started & im fiending to play :( The boys just got thumped 14-1 in rd 1 hahahaha.Glad i wasnt apart of that :X

AndyP
4th February 2011, 01:46 PM
Only singles across open, masters and juniors. I don't think it's much different around the country from what I have heard.

Minor_Threat
4th February 2011, 01:48 PM
Our rules are here --> http://www.ndga.com.au/index.php/_document/188

To summarise it is singles matchplay in groups of 4.

Another new rule in our district is teams of 8 and no reserve.

Sydney Hacker
4th February 2011, 03:56 PM
I am playing for Gordon again, sitting in lowly div 5 in Sydney. Pretty casual about it down here, but we have had the no alcohol rule for a while, including apparently team members already finished their match out watching others.

sms316
4th February 2011, 05:26 PM
Supposed to be playing but work might be getting in the way, and tbh some of the clubs in our division don't exactly inspire much. Where the **** is Kilcoy ffs?

markTHEblake
4th February 2011, 09:57 PM
Need players here at Helensvale, $200 will get you full membership until 30 June, and 7 rounds of matchplay including Hope Island and Sanctuary Cove, and starts Feb 27. see www.gcdga.com.au Div 2.
8 hcap and below would get a game as it stands now. Any low markers will find themselves squaring up against scratch players or better.

Minor_Threat
6th February 2011, 08:04 PM
First game of Pennats for me since 1996 and the match came out all square.

I was 1up heading down the last and made a dumb bogey. Came unstuck for not carrying a 4 iron to be honest!

LowTee
6th February 2011, 08:15 PM
Bad luck minor_threat must have been hot out there this morning!

Minor_Threat
6th February 2011, 08:20 PM
Bad luck minor_threat must have been hot out there this morning!Yeah mate it was hot, Im guessing it was at least 38 degC as some point!

Moe Norman
6th February 2011, 08:36 PM
now I know why andy joined that goat track!

markTHEblake
6th February 2011, 08:56 PM
First game of Pennats for me since 1996 and the match came out all square.

No 19th? I thought we had a crappy competition around here, but at least we still get to play on. Its kinda comical with golf carts driving around like the banana splits clearing bogan social players out of the way.

Minor_Threat
6th February 2011, 09:25 PM
No 19th? I thought we had a crappy competition around here, but at least we still get to play on. Its kinda comical with golf carts driving around like the banana splits clearing bogan social players out of the way.Nah no 19th mate.. I know what you mean re: Carts and extra holes! haha

mike
6th February 2011, 09:27 PM
Interesting rule change this year, "No alcohol to be consumed during play.."Bring that in up here and there'd be a riot.

Hoping to play this year. Pennants doesn't start up here until October. Stupid time of year to have it.

Are motorized buggies allowed in pennants anywhere else? They're allowed up here. Ridiculous.

AndyP
6th February 2011, 09:28 PM
Not allowed in BDGA, unless permission granted beforehand, and matches are squared with no playoff hole.

mike
6th February 2011, 09:32 PM
Extra holes up here. There must be a result. I won a match on the 22nd a few years back.

Minor_Threat
6th February 2011, 09:33 PM
Not allowed in BDGA, unless permission granted beforehand, and matches are squared with no playoff hole.Same here in NDGA..

markTHEblake
6th February 2011, 09:40 PM
With 1 round to go, my kids pennant team is 1 win away from making the final. With the youngest at 9yo and more than half the team 13 and under, looking after these guys is heaps better than playing.

petethepilot
6th February 2011, 11:28 PM
MT, when I last played for Newcastle (2002) we had to play a match against Belmont at that Pitch and putt course up towards Nelson Bay. I carried the following wedges that day;

PW 48*
GW 52*
SW 54*,56* and 58*
Lob Wedge 61*

and no driver!!! It made club selection challenging inside 90 metres!

You will see my fat face on the picture in the locker room at Newy of the A grade team that won the Pennant in 2000. (first win for 48 years!)

Good Luck. I miss it badly.

Pete

Minor_Threat
7th February 2011, 07:52 AM
MT, when I last played for Newcastle (2002) we had to play a match against Belmont at that Pitch and putt course up towards Nelson Bay. I carried the following wedges that day;

PW 48*
GW 52*
SW 54*,56* and 58*
Lob Wedge 61*

and no driver!!! It made club selection challenging inside 90 metres!

You will see my fat face on the picture in the locker room at Newy of the A grade team that won the Pennant in 2000. (first win for 48 years!)

Good Luck. I miss it badly.

PeteHi Pete..

I can't recall the name of that track, but luckily we won't be playing there this year, they have 2 divisions now with a relegation and promotion system.

Thanks for the wishes, the game ended up 4 - 4. Toronto are a strong side with a few players in the district team!

virge666
7th February 2011, 08:43 AM
We had our first game yesterday.

I also ended up all square... what is more embaressing is that I have been relegated to 7.

I am more use to playing 1-3, but I turned up to the trials and had a weird feeling. There is a saying in Poker - that if you are at the table and you can't find the bad player or "fish" as they are called... then you must be the fish. Well - I turned up to the Pennant trials and I couldn't see anyone I could easily beat. I was the fish.

Shot 3 over at home to finish all square. Had butterflies in my guts for the first 4 holes. Then the adreniline kicked in and that really cool, proper competing feeling started to kick in. Haven't had that in 3 years.

We won the day 5.5 to 1.5. our opponents are Massey Park, Warringah and Penrith.

BrisVegas
7th February 2011, 08:45 AM
what was the reasoning behind dropping the 4 iron? Have you adjusted the lofts on the 3 & 5 to get rid of the gap?

Minor_Threat
7th February 2011, 09:29 AM
what was the reasoning behind dropping the 4 iron? Have you adjusted the lofts on the 3 & 5 to get rid of the gap?I needed to make room for the Gap Wedge mate. The loft difference between the 3 and 5 are the same and I "thought" I could manufacture something anytime I needed a 4I.

Anyway I had a uphill shot from a uphill / sidehill lie into a strong breeze which was also come across from left to right 175 to hole. Needless to say I ****ed it up and tried to steer it, I needed to be able to hit something hard in that instance!

Scottt
7th February 2011, 12:00 PM
MT,

I dropped the 5i a few months back and haven't had any issues with it missing from the bag other than I keep gassing 4i into the back trap on the 12th at Bonnie D when I know 6i won't get there. Other than that, I have managed well without it and in many instances I think the extra few metres from choking down on a 4i rather than hitting 5i helps me.

Obviously you being a flusher is a different kettle of fish.

But I am definitely on the fewer irons bandwagon and next time I buy irons (coming up on 2yrs with the S58s) I am going with 6 degree gaps from 24 to 48 with wedges at 52 and 58.

Anyway, just so this post is on-topic, I saw our pennant team handicaps the other day and it amazed me - 8 players and the average handicap was 1!

virge666
7th February 2011, 12:24 PM
I needed to make room for the Gap Wedge mate. The loft difference between the 3 and 5 are the same and I "thought" I could manufacture something anytime I needed a 4I.

Anyway I had a uphill shot from a uphill / sidehill lie into a strong breeze which was also come across from left to right 175 to hole. Needless to say I ****ed it up and tried to steer it, I needed to be able to hit something hard in that instance!

Crank your 4 iron up 2 degrees - and chuck your 3 iron.

Much easier to hit something hard that to steer a 3 iron.

Minor_Threat
7th February 2011, 12:48 PM

Much easier to hit something hard that to steer a 3 iron.After yesterday, I am contemplating something like this Virge.

BrisVegas
7th February 2011, 12:52 PM

+1. Whilst I don't think there's much difference in a 3 iron or a 4 iron for most of us, I couldn't handle having that big gap if I hit it as cleanly as you do.

live4golf
7th February 2011, 12:54 PM
I might actually get a run this year....apparently we have a few of the pennants team out and a hacker like me might need to fill in, guess we will see.

davepuppies
7th February 2011, 02:43 PM
I was picked in the squad, but not sure if i will get a game off 6.....

If i do, i will be playing 7 or reserve....

Moe Norman
7th February 2011, 03:17 PM

I find the opposite is true for me, though ocassionally I lose it left big time if I don't concentrate properly

Webster
7th February 2011, 04:07 PM
Anyway, just so this post is on-topic, I saw our pennant team handicaps the other day and it amazed me - 8 players and the average handicap was 1!

Scottt, I played the first two rounds of the Vic Am with Ben someone from your club - off scratch - very good player. He would play pennant in Melb for sure.

Moe Norman
7th February 2011, 04:41 PM
Back in about 2001, you needed to be a scratch or plus marker to make the Indooroopilly pennant team.

I think Adam Blyth was the #7, and he has been successful on the Asian Tour, then Euro Tour and now is on the PGA Tour. I don't think the 6 blokes ahead of him have done much though!

markTHEblake
7th February 2011, 06:29 PM
I also ended up all square... what is more embaressing is that I have been relegated to 7.

Seven is a great spot to be though! because you always get to play against another no 7 (fish) :-)

if its any consolation i have been relegated back one spot (at least) by a 13yo. Its not the age that bothers me, its his height, he aint even 5ft yet!

timah!
13th February 2011, 05:35 PM
First round of pennants in about 11 years.
Ended up squaring the match, after doing all the hard work early to get to 3-up, with the wheels really falling off halfway through the second nine.
Had to give three shots, so not too unhappy. Really struggled from the tee, which didn't help, but scrambled pretty well and pitched and putted very well.

AndyP
13th February 2011, 05:38 PM
That's better than losing, Tim.

What pennants is this? GCDGA? I'm surprised at the handicap matchplay format.
How did you get in the side?

timah!
13th February 2011, 05:43 PM
Its chopper div 5 Andy, hence the h'cap format.
In the side due to numbers! :D

markTHEblake
13th February 2011, 06:08 PM
My young tigers made their pennant final today, by one shot. Our #1 was one down playing the last and he only had one option, to square the match or it was mad monday for us (lollies and red cordial) I haven't been that nervous on a golf course ever...until next week.

In the end the ladder after 9 rounds from 1-3 was a matter of fractions.

Steve57
13th February 2011, 07:00 PM
First round of pennants in about 11 years.
Ended up squaring the match, after doing all the hard work early to get to 3-up, with the wheels really falling off halfway through the second nine.
Had to give three shots, so not too unhappy. Really struggled from the tee, which didn't help, but scrambled pretty well and pitched and putted very well.

Well done Tim.
Who did you play?

timah!
13th February 2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks Steve.
Played Beaudesert today @ Mt Warren Park.

Minor_Threat
13th February 2011, 07:18 PM
Had our game v Merewether @ Hawks Nest today.

I played number 2 again and won my match 2/1. I was 2 down through 12 and made 3 birdies in the last 5 holes to win it. Newcastle won the game 5.5 to 2.5.

Outcast
13th February 2011, 07:53 PM
I would love to play pennants but, unfortunately my work schedule gets firmly in the way; sadly it always has....

davepuppies
13th February 2011, 10:52 PM
My club won 4.5 to 2.5 today against NORTHBRIDGE.

I played at number 4 and sadly lost 3 & 2. The guy i played was off 1 and was 2 under through 16 holes, so considering i dint have my best game today i was pretty happy.....

markTHEblake
20th February 2011, 04:14 PM
5/1 result in the final - an exact reversal of the flogging we got from them in the H&A.
Cant wait for these blokes to grow 2 feet so i can retire from this game.

and they changed to a better ball - Vision by the Boz from Oz

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8451/20110220150907.jpg

Dcanto
20th February 2011, 04:45 PM
Congratulations to you and the boys MTB. :smt038

AndyP
20th February 2011, 04:50 PM
That's great to hear, Blakey. What a thrill for them.

davepuppies
20th February 2011, 05:16 PM
Well done blakey.....

I had another loss this week...... we played Marrickville at their home track and lost 5.5 to 1.5.

I again played at number 4, and lost on the 18th. I shot even par for 18, and my opponent 1 under. (i three putted 17 to go 1 down)

I can honestly say i did not expect my opponents at number 4 to be under par both times (we are division 5 - not the big boys division like virge etc)

matty
20th February 2011, 08:52 PM
I got a phone call to play in the Lynwood pennants team yesterday, in B grade of course. Was still good to get asked. Due to inconsistent work hours I said i'd be more than happy to be a reserve.

If someone drops out and I get a game I'll be as nervous as hell I reckon, having never played before. Would be good to see what it's all about though.

Minor_Threat
20th February 2011, 08:55 PM
I missed pennants this week due to an engagement party. The boys still won 6 - 2 though, which is great!

davepuppies
20th February 2011, 09:23 PM
matty i played B grade pennants last year.... its good fun, as its a best ball scenario and you have a partner....

we made it to the semis of the sydney comp - and lost at Lynwood to the coast.

do it! Its good fun!

virge666
21st February 2011, 12:28 PM
I can honestly say i did not expect my opponents at number 4 to be under par both times (we are division 5 - not the big boys division like virge etc)

OK, I don't get it.

I have shot +2, +3 and +2 again to Square - Win 6/4 - Win 3/1

Out of the 21 games played - 3 have finished under par.

Yesterday was the hardest game I have ever played - plus 40 bloody degrees @ Penrith and I was about to die on the 15th. Somehow trudged home for a win on the 17th. Absolutley shattered.

We halved Penrith which puts us on top of the Div3 ladder.

Life is good for this chopper #7

markTHEblake
21st February 2011, 08:30 PM

ya shouldnt be expecting anything!

i have shot red many times playing at the tail (nothing awesome just ones and twos), fortunately not many of my opponents have, only one from memory.

I have yet to lose a game playing well though, and won plenty playing shite. I consider it my specialty to drag my opponents down to a lower level than me

AndyP
21st February 2011, 08:37 PM
Dragging them down to your level is a skill?

davepuppies
21st February 2011, 09:04 PM
OK, I don't get it.

I have shot +2, +3 and +2 again to Square - Win 6/4 - Win 3/1

Out of the 21 games played - 3 have finished under par.

Yesterday was the hardest game I have ever played - plus 40 bloody degrees @ Penrith and I was about to die on the 15th. Somehow trudged home for a win on the 17th. Absolutley shattered.

We halved Penrith which puts us on top of the Div3 ladder.

Life is good for this chopper #7

Does not make sense to me either......

In saying that from what i can see the number 4 in both cases was one of the better players on the opposing squad......

Maybe i need to play number 7......

virge666
21st February 2011, 09:28 PM
Does not make sense to me either......

Oh hang on - yes it does,

Penrith Golf Club - 6700m, ACR of 75.
Marrickville GC - 3700m, ACR of 60

Suddenly I feel much, much better.

:)

On that - I played really good on the first and last round, I played like a total muppet for my biggest win of 6/4... go figure.

razaar
21st February 2011, 10:28 PM
Sunday was our first round of pennants. I shouldn't have played because of a sciatic problem in my right hip which reappeared on the Saturday. Bombed out on pain killers and lathered in deep heat we hit off mid-morning - me walking and the opposition in a cart. By the 14th my only thought was survival - breath and drag the right leg, breath and drag the right leg. The water I was carrying was hot enough to make tea and I probably would have if there had been a tea bag handy. Luckily one of my team who was in a cart and who had finished his match came back to see how I was doing. Not sure what would have happened if he hadn't turned up. Ended up squaring my match from 2 down hitting off the 17th. We squared the rubber 2.5 to 2.5. Sunday was the hottest I have ever been on a golf course.

BroKar
21st February 2011, 10:37 PM
Razaar how did Dominic go on sunday? myself and ddasey played with him on the saturday and he is one very good 16yo

razaar
21st February 2011, 10:55 PM
Razaar how did Dominic go on sunday? myself and ddasey played with him on the saturday and he is one very good 16yo

I am pretty sure he won 2Up.

petethepilot
21st February 2011, 11:10 PM
Razaar,

how can they play Pennants in a cart? Surely that is against the rules! Or is it legal in Super Seniors (I should be eligible soon!!).

Pete

razaar
22nd February 2011, 07:18 AM
Razaar,

how can they play Pennants in a cart? Surely that is against the rules! Or is it legal in Super Seniors (I should be eligible soon!!).

Pete

Pete

Some of the courses in our zone are resort courses so carts are optional for all pennant teams. I played a match last year in open pennants against a 20 something who played in a cart while this 65 year old walked. He didn't win.

virge666
22nd February 2011, 08:33 AM
Pete

Some of the courses in our zone are resort courses so carts are optional for all pennant teams. I played a match last year in open pennants against a 20 something who played in a cart while this 65 year old walked. He didn't win.

Carts are not good for golf IMHO. I just cannot get in a rhythm getting in and out and bouncing around... I like the casual stroll and chat with the caddie.

Having said that - I would have killed for a cart on Sunday... I am with you Ray, I train a few times a week and even in the Army with 60Kg on my back, I don't remember being THAT rooted.

I worked out that I had 5 600ml bottles of drink on the first nine and 4 on the back nine. Cost me $35 in drinks !!! Didn't have a piss till dinner after the round.

razaar
22nd February 2011, 09:23 AM
Virge

We have lived and golfed at Weipa and Mount Isa but it was never that hot. Sunday was pure hell. The battery in my car cooked and I had to get the RACQ to replace it. The mechanic said I wasn't the only one that it happened to. Yesterday we got a bobby dazzler of an electrical storm which dropped 70+mls in under an hour to cool things off. I am thinking of moving to Tassy.

markTHEblake
22nd February 2011, 10:18 PM
I worked out that I had 5 600ml bottles of drink on the first nine and 4 on the back nine. Cost me $35 in drinks !!!

Get a 2 litre water bottle/esky thing, and get yourself a proper sports drink. I use Squencher concentrate costs $30 a bottle lasts me a year. Then get one of those icey cool neck things, about $5.

And the icing on the cake is two oranges cut into quarters and knock one quarter off every 2nd hole. Gives you such a rush you will struggle to hold back eating em all at once.

You will finish your round as cool as a cucumber and your team mates will be so stuffed that they wont even notice.

timah!
22nd February 2011, 10:40 PM
+1 for sqwincher. I use the quick stix. I sachet in 600ml of water. About $40 for 50 packets.
I usually stock up with 3L of water before a round, then fill up with ice after 9 holes.
But Sunday was ridiculous. It was brutal walking Beaudesert. I hate carts, but we've pre booked them for Hills this weekend, especially seeing as we are teeing off at around midday.

petethepilot
22nd February 2011, 11:39 PM
I bet the 20 something was pissed off Ray. I used to love beating the youngin's!

Pete

MegaWatty
23rd February 2011, 01:53 AM
MTB. Is Gatorade considered a proper sports drink? It's on special for a dollar a bottle. Might stock up.

markTHEblake
23rd February 2011, 07:39 AM
Not according to a sports fitness expert that consulted to our pennant team once. He said all those retail ones are just sugar hits and recommended "pharmaceutical grade' whatever that means.

sms316
23rd February 2011, 07:41 AM
Jim Beam and coke cans are great for an electrolyte hit.

virge666
23rd February 2011, 08:43 AM
Jim Beam and coke cans are great for an electrolyte hit.

Instant DQ in NSW Pennants... but also helps with back pain !

sms316
23rd February 2011, 09:42 AM
Instant DQ in NSW Pennants... but also helps with back pain !

Might as well get on them in Sunshine Coast pennant. It is a joke of a competition.

razaar
23rd February 2011, 10:54 AM
Might as well get on them in Sunshine Coast pennant. It is a joke of a competition.

Is Club Pelican in the Sunshine Coast pennant comp. this year? They were in the Glasshouse Mtns comp last year.

sms316
23rd February 2011, 11:49 AM
Is Club Pelican in the Sunshine Coast pennant comp. this year? They were in the Glasshouse Mtns comp last year.

Glasshouse I guess. It is still a shocking competition.

* Playing in groups of four.
* Teams pulling out a week before the competition starts.
* No competition information on the DGA website.
* Times all over the shop.

It is rubbish. Very difficult to remain interested in playing.

davepuppies
23rd February 2011, 12:52 PM
Oh hang on - yes it does,

Penrith Golf Club - 6700m, ACR of 75.
Marrickville GC - 3700m, ACR of 60

Suddenly I feel much, much better.

:)

On that - I played really good on the first and last round, I played like a total muppet for my biggest win of 6/4... go figure.

I would have much preferred penrith, as my advantage is length off the tee.....

I hit driver once all day. My strength is not par 3s! (there are 12 or 13 of them at Marrickville)

razaar
23rd February 2011, 01:07 PM

* Playing in groups of four.
* Teams pulling out a week before the competition starts.
* No competition information on the DGA website.
* Times all over the shop.

It is rubbish. Very difficult to remain interested in playing.

You nailed it, it is rubbish. It is a mystery why we play at this time of year and why everybody has to go off the one tee like we did last weekend. Nevermind, it is matchplay which is all I enjoy about playing these days. On Sunday my opponent thinned a greenside chip and it hit another player's buggy through the green and stopped on the fringe. He would have had trouble getting up and down from where it was heading.

markTHEblake
23rd February 2011, 08:41 PM

some of those issues will be because of resort courses putting the $ before anything else.

down here the tee off times in the 1st round this weekend are ; 9am, 9.50, and 10.40. and that is a late change, was meant to start at 7.00. So obviously they double booked with social players and bumped us forward.

MegaWatty
23rd February 2011, 09:37 PM
Not according to a sports fitness expert that consulted to our pennant team once. He said all those retail ones are just sugar hits and recommended "pharmaceutical grade' whatever that means.

And that one you mentioned meets this requirement?

markTHEblake
23rd February 2011, 09:39 PM
stuffed if i really know.

virge666
23rd February 2011, 09:41 PM
I would have much preferred penrith, as my advantage is length off the tee.....

I hit driver once all day. My strength is not par 3s! (there are 12 or 13 of them at Marrickville)

Do they still have the 2m prefferred lie ?

AndyP
23rd February 2011, 09:43 PM
Next you'll be telling me that you need carbo gel shots during a round of golf.

markTHEblake
23rd February 2011, 09:44 PM
are they those things that runners take?

No, bad for golfers.

AndyP
23rd February 2011, 09:46 PM
I don't know how they would be bad for golfers, but they wouldn't be necessary.

markTHEblake
23rd February 2011, 09:53 PM
same bloke i mentioned before talked about that. He thought that golfers are better off maintaining their energy evenly by using slow release products, rather than take something that gives you an instant boost, like a runner might want to go up a hill. Not a bad thing but could cause a golfer to overclub, rush things etc.

AndyP
23rd February 2011, 10:04 PM
That might be true too, but it's just a convenient way of taking in some energy replacement while on the move. A golfer can easily eat solid food to do that.

timah!
23rd February 2011, 10:12 PM
And that one you mentioned meets this requirement?
Yeah, sqwincher is a sugar and carb free electrolyte replacement drink.
Staminade would be a good store bought alternative.

Grunt
24th February 2011, 07:16 AM
Another good one would be Endura Rehydration Electrolyte replacement. It is what I use when kayaking and is pretty good for endurance.

http://www.endura.com.au/

AndyP
24th February 2011, 08:32 AM
Sugar and carb free, Timah. I'm not an expert on nutrition, but I can't see how either would be bad when you are replacing energy.

Daves
24th February 2011, 08:45 AM
I think it is the amount of sugar present in some of the so called sports drinks that is the problem. The sugar rush can lead to poor decisioning etc and then there is the inevitable post rush downer. I think there are probably plenty who have probably built up an "immunity" to the sugar rush though, especially those that take theirs via a pre mix can!

razaar
24th February 2011, 09:32 AM
I think it is the amount of sugar present in some of the so called sports drinks that is the problem. The sugar rush can lead to poor decisioning etc and then there is the inevitable post rush downer. I think there are probably plenty who have probably built up an "immunity" to the sugar rush though, especially those that take theirs via a pre mix can!

My understanding is that the body will break down certain foods for fuel before others. The first is alcohol, then simple sugars (including fruit), followed by complex carbs (grains, starches, nuts, vegetables) and finally protein. 60% of the fuel broken down is used by the brain. There is a down time between the breakdown of each food source - when the alcohol is depleted as a source the body will have an energy lapse until the next food source kicks in.

The ideal is a slow release of energy without any of the surges and this only comes from the complex carb group. Surges in blood suger levels are not conducive to good golf.

timah!
24th February 2011, 09:34 AM
Sugar and carb free, Timah. I'm not an expert on nutrition, but I can't see how either would be bad when you are replacing energy.

Sugar and carbs are fine if you're replacing energy. A waste if you're replacing electrolytes. Besides, there are cheaper ways to get sugar into your system if you want a carb based drink. Dextrose (and its relatives) are cheap as a single ingredient. Add it to some cordial and whammo. Cheap and easy.

AndyP
25th February 2011, 01:51 PM
Pennant Trials #1 on Sunday has been cancelled. :(
#2 and #3 will be on the 6th and 20th of March.

I'm also without a game of golf for the weekend, as a result.

MegaWatty
25th February 2011, 08:07 PM
Sqwincher purchased. It's starting to ramp up here because of the heat wave we're currently having.

Cheers MTB...And others.

timah!
25th February 2011, 09:21 PM
What flavour did you get Mega?

MegaWatty
25th February 2011, 09:34 PM
Lemon Lime

markTHEblake
26th February 2011, 12:56 AM
Should i tell Meggawatty that i shat like a blue arsed fly the first time i used the Squincher?

Cosmopolite
26th February 2011, 01:40 AM
Should i tell Meggawatty that i shat like a blue arsed fly the first time i used the Squincher?

what the hell has it got in it that makes you do that?

Not good being in that position half way around the golf course

MegaWatty
26th February 2011, 01:46 AM
Oh dear!

Johnny Canuck
26th February 2011, 10:10 AM
Oh dear!

Sunday could be even more fun than originally thought!

markTHEblake
26th February 2011, 10:43 AM
what the hell has it got in it that makes you do that?

I might have exaggerated a little. Just got a little bit of stomach cramp during the day the first time i used it. Was fine ever since, and there might have been a warning on the bottle for that, as do a lot of similar products.

Cosmopolite
26th February 2011, 02:09 PM

I think you are supposed to drink it MTB, not use it for other means!!!

AndyP
3rd March 2011, 04:26 PM
Pennant Trials #1 on Sunday has been cancelled. :(
#2 and #3 will be on the 6th and 20th of March.
Postponed again. It's very disappointing.

It's on the 13th and 20th now apparently. I'm away for the 13th, so it looks like just one pennant trial for me. I better make it a good one.

No Sqwincher purchased.

Moe Norman
3rd March 2011, 05:34 PM
you'll choke for sure

AndyP
3rd March 2011, 05:42 PM
Nah, it will be a tie.

markTHEblake
3rd March 2011, 08:11 PM
The Mighty Helensvale misfits knocked off Surfers Paradise on Sunday, that is a massive win for us. Considering we bust a gut to find 7 players that want to play and they have truckloads, including too many juniors.

Our team is basically this;
1. a wandering golfer who would rather play mixed fourballs with his missus- WON 5/3
2. played his 3rd game in 6 months - WON 20th
3. a 17yo playing his first game of mens matchplay WON
4. an old chopper, with broken back, shoulders, head, deserves to be playing C grade. Lost 1d.
5. senior golfer with tennis elbow, rather be drinking beer, Lost 3/2
6 a 13yo under 5ft getting outdriven by 100 metres, Won 3/1
7. a 16yo one week after getting his arm out of plaster, Lost 4/3

Next week we get our No 1 back, who will be playing probably his 2nd game since last season. He'll keep winning too, and then i can retire. With me out our highest handicapper is 4 or 5. I wouldn't think we have a run at the flag but I reckon we can frighten the rest.

Minor_Threat
3rd March 2011, 08:19 PM
We had the bye last week. I think we are sitting third, half a game behind 2nd and 5 games behind 1st who has played an extra match. It is going to be close!

markTHEblake
6th March 2011, 06:24 PM
Mighty Helensvale wins again this time 6/1, the team was strengthened by dropping our deadbeat weakest link, we are now top of the ladder.

Hope Island GC was wet underfoot, blowing a gale from all directions (at the same time i reckon) and everyone shot millions. On holes that i normally would hit short irons it was woods, and i don't even want to talk about the 17th. I got to play a practice round (all reserves do) and we had an honourable draw.

Minor_Threat
6th March 2011, 07:08 PM
They played me at number 3 today and I won 2/1. The team won 5-3. I think we are equal 1st with Toronto with 3.5 wins and the same amount of games won. It will basically come down to next week and our game V Waratah who have won the lst 3 years.

Top 2 play in a Final to win the pennant.

AndyP
6th March 2011, 08:35 PM
I see from your Golf Map (which I just noticed) that you have played there before. I was very impressed with the greens there and the true roll. What did you think?

As I've said, my pennants trial got canned for today, which is a PITA as I keep setting the Sundays aside in the calendar, and didn't play yesterday. I played at Gailes today with a fellow WP pennants aspirant, and we independently during the week thought we should have our own practice match. Neither of us mentioned it until the fourth, but decided to do it anyway (with me 2 under off the stick through 3 and only one up, since he birdied the hole I parred). He is an 8 marker that has been off 3 in the Wimmera area of Victoria, and wants to get back down to 4, but Wolston Park and it's low ACR is holding him back. He has competed in Long Drive comps and has done reasonably well, and definitely shouldn't be off 8.

We didn't take it too seriously, since putts couldn't be conceded, but it was nice to have a match off the stick. We spent most of the time after the first few holes either even or him 1 up. In the end, my birdie on 17 was the difference and I got him by one.

He seems to think that we are both a shoe-in for the pennants side, as they just can't afford to leave any single markers out when we are short of them. The best player at the club plays for Gailes, and dependent on those making themselves available for pennants, their can't be more than 10, if that.

Pennants season starts in four weeks. I can't wait.

jaybam
6th March 2011, 08:52 PM
I drink truck loads of squincher as I get it for cost and get a lot of the squincher sticks for nicks. Great stuff. Heaps better than the Gatorade and the like.

timah!
6th March 2011, 09:28 PM
Jaybam, can you price me some sqwincher sticks?

shazza_rs
6th March 2011, 09:33 PM
My pennant season starts next Friday. Yay! Can't wait.

markTHEblake
6th March 2011, 10:09 PM
I drink truck loads of squincher as I get it for cost.

how much for one of the big cordial bottles? I usually pay about $30 i reckon.

Minor_Threat
6th March 2011, 10:11 PM
I see from your Golf Map (which I just noticed) that you have played there before. I was very impressed with the greens there and the true roll. What did you think?I only played there yesterday mate.. The greens were quite true and rolling well! Enjoyable course, although I couldn't be a member there, every dogleg is right to left and doesn't suit my fade!

virge666
7th March 2011, 11:09 AM
We played Penrith @ home yesterday and smashed them. Poor bastards had 4 players out - with 2 apparently pulling heart muscle. Piss weak form from their players.

For the first time in 12 years of Pennants... I am un-beaten for all 5 games. 1 more for the perfect year and a little medal.

Life is good.

davepuppies
7th March 2011, 12:22 PM
I finally had a win yesterday..... and we won the day 4.5/2.5

I was demoted from number 4 to number 6, and i won 3 and 2.....

If we win or half our next match we are the division winners

jaybam
7th March 2011, 12:38 PM
how much for one of the big cordial bottles? I usually pay about $30 i reckon.

About 20 bucks Blakey for the 2 litre concentrate. Makes 20 litres.

sms316
7th March 2011, 12:53 PM
Turns out that I will be making my Sunny Coast pennant debut this Sunday....

.... at Pine Rivers FFS.

live4golf
7th March 2011, 12:55 PM
Anyone know where a bloke off 2 can get a hit in Pennants on the Central Coast or North of Sydney? - let me know where I should join :(

timah!
7th March 2011, 01:24 PM
Turns out that I will be making my Sunny Coast pennant debut this Sunday....

.... at Pine Rivers FFS.

Seriously? Thats not a golf course! I walked off from a free round of golf it was that bad.

3oneday
7th March 2011, 02:12 PM
Anyone know where a bloke off 2 can get a hit in Pennants on the Central Coast or North of Sydney? - let me know where I should join :(

Asquith got flogged on the weekend, they could be keen :)

virge666
7th March 2011, 02:29 PM
Asquith got flogged on the weekend, they could be keen :)

Well played 3... well played !

PerryGroves
7th March 2011, 02:36 PM

You can play number one at Manly old mate, another 7 blot flogging on the weekend.

Dotty
7th March 2011, 03:03 PM
You can play number one at Manly old mate, another 7 blot flogging on the weekend.
I watched this, and they ran into a freight train. (Pennant Hills got the perfect start to their season by beating Monash at Monash, and just kept rolling from there.)

Sydney Hacker
7th March 2011, 03:20 PM

Plenty of clubs in Sydney will have you off 2, however you won't be playing at any decent courses!

Sydney Hacker
7th March 2011, 03:21 PM
We played Penrith @ home yesterday and smashed them. Poor bastards had 4 players out - with 2 apparently pulling heart muscle. Piss weak form from their players.

For the first time in 12 years of Pennants... I am un-beaten for all 5 games. 1 more for the perfect year and a little medal.

Life is good.

You offering to play reserve next week to try and wrap up that medal ?

PerryGroves
7th March 2011, 04:34 PM

Plenty of clubs in Sydney will have you off 2, however you won't be playing at any decent courses!

Oi, you havin' a go SH :)

virge666
7th March 2011, 05:08 PM
You offering to play reserve next week to try and wrap up that medal ?

They have stuck me at 7 to help out, but and I mean this nicely... it is a friggin breeze to play at 7. I have only been down once and that was when a bloke chipped in for Birdie on the 1st hole.

I squared the first game, but since then... 6/4, 5/4, 3/1, 7/6 - All I have to do is shoot 2 or 3 over and the guys I am playing just fold.

I won 6 holes in row yesterday shooting even par... FFS.

Now I have said this - I will lose 5/4 at Warringah on Sunday... :)

markTHEblake
7th March 2011, 07:51 PM
About 20 bucks Blakey for the 2 litre concentrate. Makes 20 litres.

That sounds like an offer? if there is a chance we might catch up one day i'll sing out for a bottle if its ok with you.
I expect though that the boss might begin to wonder if you start purchasing by the carton though :-)

Minor_Threat
7th March 2011, 08:11 PM
It turns out we are leading the table at the moment by 0.5 of a match. Our game V Waratah this week at Belmont will basically decide who makes the final.

jaybam
7th March 2011, 08:15 PM
That sounds like an offer? if there is a chance we might catch up one day i'll sing out for a bottle if its ok with you.
I expect though that the boss might begin to wonder if you start purchasing by the carton though :-)

Is usually the onl way we buy it and sell it but should be able to swing a bottle or so at a time. Will work so
ething out with you when you want it mate. What flavour?

markTHEblake
7th March 2011, 08:25 PM
. What flavour?

I'll let ya know when we can get it organised. no need for you to carry it around for 6 months.

Minor_Threat
13th March 2011, 06:59 PM
Well we had the big match today, and i was a disappointment. Not just because we lost, but Belmont had gone and scourified all of greens midweek. They were shocking, so IMO it spoilt the day..

Anyway, the team lost 5/3 and I won my match 3/2. Basically no way to make the final for us now, would like a win for myself next week to remain undefeated in 5 matches.

sms316
13th March 2011, 09:37 PM
Made my Sunny Coast pennant debut on a truly horrible golf course - Pine Rivers. Lost 2&1 in a particularly uninspiring match.

That might just do me as far as my pennant career goes. I had no interest in it from the moment I woke up today. Shit course. Shit administration. Shit format.

ddasey
13th March 2011, 09:56 PM
Made my Sunny Coast pennant debut on a truly horrible golf course - Pine Rivers. Lost 2&1 in a particularly uninspiring match.

That might just do me as far as my pennant career goes. I had no interest in it from the moment I woke up today. Shit course. Shit administration. Shit format.

So I take it the course hasn't approved any ??

sms316
13th March 2011, 09:59 PM
So I take it the course hasn't approved any ??

Well, it had "grass" which was more like cabbage. Greens actually rolled quite well. Shame that some were firmer than others.

Better course than Nambour though.

markTHEblake
13th March 2011, 11:24 PM
I played my best golf in 6 months and lost 3/1, team lost 5/2 and we are tied for 1st at the halfway mark. I had to play with my dicky shoulder as we were three short, but the drugs have been kicking in so I was actually pain free today. Opponent shot 2 Red, and it was a very close game, but he kicked my arse on the greens in the end.

This was our shots on the 13th (the old 9th) at Gainsborough Greens, if you know it, its a shot across the water to a pin cut only 3m from the edge. From where we were standing it looked like both balls were inches away, neither were gimmes, mine was the close one and probably the best follow up shot I have ever hit. But you can guess what happened.... Oh I hate that.

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/2572/20110313110359.jpg

davepuppies
14th March 2011, 05:41 AM
we played our final game of our division and lost 5 1/2 to 1 1/2..... so our season is over

i squared my match after my opponent rolled in a 20 foot putt from off the green on 18......

razaar
14th March 2011, 06:43 AM
Played againt a 50 year old today who has the exact same swing technique and short game as myself. It was like playing myself. I noticed it immediately on the first tee when he started down on the backswing to hit up with the driver. He learnt to play golf in Britain, which was the source of the method taught when I first swung a club in the 1960's. The match ended up a square ( I rimmed out a 6ft putt on 18 for a birdie).

Ran into SMS on the practice tee, looking tanned and fit and very relaxed with a stubby in hand. How was your day, Shaun?

AndyP
14th March 2011, 09:46 AM
sms should stick to posting in the "What pisses me off?" thread, as there is very little that doesn't.

Moe Norman
14th March 2011, 10:30 AM
i'd be pretty pissed off if I were him too.

peckors
14th March 2011, 10:55 AM
Pennants ia a wank...STAY AT HOME AND LUBE UP. go fishing, root the missus

Minor_Threat
14th March 2011, 10:57 AM
We havent heard from Virge? Did he choke in his bid to go undefeated?

virge666
14th March 2011, 11:14 AM
Now I have said this - I will lose 5/4 at Warringah on Sunday... :)

I should be a fortune teller.

Shit.

I can't be too bitchy though... the guy I played played like a Pennant player should. Even Par-ish.

I just hate losing.

sms316
14th March 2011, 09:29 PM
Pennants ia a wank...STAY AT HOME AND LUBE UP. go fishing, root the missus

sms should stick to posting in the "What pisses me off?" thread, as there is very little that doesn't.

Over-modding pisses me off. Bring back peckors!

petethepilot
14th March 2011, 09:43 PM
So then I heard this guy from Warringah say;

"F*uck this playing at 7 is easy! Looking forward to some challenges further up the order next year !" :razz:

virge666
14th March 2011, 10:04 PM
So then I heard this guy from Warringah say;

"F*uck this playing at 7 is easy! Looking forward to some challenges further up the order next year !" :razz:

Nice one. . . ya bastard.

shazza_rs
18th March 2011, 03:33 PM
We had our first round of pennant today at keperra. We played against redcliffe. Our team won 4 1/2 to 2 1/2 and I won my match 3/1. Pretty close match as we were only ever up/down one hole.

Eag's
18th March 2011, 03:55 PM
Well done Shaz :smt038

AndyP
18th March 2011, 04:55 PM
Nice start to the season, Shaz.

Pennant trials have been confirmed for Sunday. About bloody time.

Only Tigerblooded can handle the winningness of Tapatalk.

Moe Norman
18th March 2011, 08:25 PM
huh, pennant on a Friday?

AndyP
18th March 2011, 09:34 PM
Chicks! Who knows why they do the things they do?

sms316
18th March 2011, 09:35 PM
They need to do the house work on the weekend.

shazza_rs
18th March 2011, 10:11 PM
We have both midweek and weekend pennant. Midweek is off the stick. Weekend is 3/4 difference in handicap.

AndyP
19th March 2011, 05:43 PM
Pennant trials have been confirmed for Sunday. About bloody time.

Postponed again. **** you rain. I'm pretty sick of blocking out my Sundays.

Only Tigerblooded can handle the winningness of Tapatalk.

timah!
20th March 2011, 05:31 PM
Finally!

Pennants at Carbrook in the slop today.
Had my first win of the season 9 and 7! :mrgreen:

Finally put together some good golf, more so as I had to recover from 3 hosel rocket iron tee shots.
Was +8 off the stick for the 10 holes, 27pts effectively.

4 pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles. 6 one putts.

Team went on to beat the comp leaders 5-0 for our first win of the season!

Hoo-Frikkin'-Ray!

ddasey
20th March 2011, 05:38 PM
Finally!

Pennants at Carbrook in the slop today.
Had my first win of the season 9 and 7! :mrgreen:

Finally put together some good golf, more so as I had to recover from 3 hosel rocket iron tee shots.
Was +8 off the stick for the 10 holes, 27pts effectively.

4 pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles. 6 one putts.

Team went on to beat the comp leaders 5-0 for our first win of the season!

Hoo-Frikkin'-Ray!

Great effort, well done :smt038

Minor_Threat
20th March 2011, 06:11 PM
Last round of pennants today.

The team won 6-2 which included a 1 match forfeit because one of our guys didn't show. I played at number 2 and won my match 3/2 also managed to finish the season undefeated.

Toronto won their match so we ended up finishing 3rd with Toronto and Waratah playing in the final.

timah!
20th March 2011, 06:33 PM
Last round of pennants today.

The team won 6-2 which included a 1 match forfeit because one of our guys didn't show. I played at number 2 and won my match 3/2 also managed to finish the season undefeated.

Toronto won their match so we ended up finishing 3rd with Toronto and Waratah playing in the final.

Well done M_T. And congrats on your good season!

Great effort, well done :smt038

Thanks ddasey!

razaar
20th March 2011, 09:39 PM
We travelled to Pelican Waters for this week's pennant round only to have it called off halfway through our first hole. Some managed to finish 9-holes before it dawned on officials that most groups would not be able to finish in daylight. Our pennant comp is a joke run by f*** wits.

sms316
20th March 2011, 09:45 PM
We travelled to Pelican Waters for this week's pennant round only to have it called off halfway through our first hole. Some managed to finish 9-holes before it dawned on officials that most groups would not be able to finish in daylight. Our pennant comp is a joke run by f*** wits.

Certainly is. I doubt I'll play again until they start playing home and away matches and in pairs. It is a half-arsed joke of a comp.

markTHEblake
21st March 2011, 08:49 AM
Some managed to finish 9-holes before it dawned on officials that most groups would not be able to finish in daylight.

12 hour rounds, or does the sunset at midday up there?

sms316
21st March 2011, 09:41 AM

As if pennant in the SC would be given priority status and get early tee times.

razaar
21st March 2011, 10:28 AM
I haven't hit off before 1.30pm so far this pennant season. The clubs in this zone don't want to host a pennant comp, so the courses aren't available until after social committments are fulfilled. At some courses only one tee is used for all groups - open, div2, juniors & masters. Also, the groups go off in 4's. To speed it up all teams have five players. The issue on Sunday was the 90* rule for those who used a motorized buggy. It was too wet to allow buggies on the grass. Even push buggies were leaving tracks. Given the amount of rain the course received the previous 24 hrs, the pennant should have been cancelled first light.

markTHEblake
21st March 2011, 11:34 PM
As if pennant in the SC would be given priority status and get early tee times.

Razaar does not play in the Sunshine Coast zone

razaar
22nd March 2011, 07:36 AM

Blakey...that is how weird things are up this way...Caloundra GC plays in the Sunshine Coast Zone while Club Pelican plays in the Glasshouse Mtns zone. 15 years ago Caloundra was in the Glasshouse Mtns zone. Politics in Qld Golf is not that different to the highest level in Qld....

sms316
22nd March 2011, 07:42 AM

Splitting the DGA into zones is bizarre in itself.

AndyP
27th March 2011, 01:59 PM
I finally played a Pennants trial match today. I was matched up against one of our masters pennants reps who is also playing off 9. Unfortunately we had to finish each hole, instead of being able to concede holes or give putts, as the team captain wanted to know our finishing scores so he can work out the team and positions for next week.

I got off to a flyer with +1 through our first 9 holes and a 4up lead.
He played great golf for the second half to get it back to all square with one hole to play. So unlike me to have a close match. :roll:

The last hole was a hole that we had already played earlier in the round (13th, our 4th) , and I'd won it with a birdie. He missed the green (I didn't watch it, but it ended up off the back in bad rough), and I put mine to the same spot as last time. I didn't get the bird second time around, but a par was enough for a win.

It turns out he had shot 71 for the 18 holes (par 66), and the only holes I won in the last 11 holes were his only two bogies. That's a really good win, even though I had 77 (thanks to racking up a 12 on a hole that I had lost). It will be interesting to see what position I play in, but I'll just be happy to play in the team.

Match -W-W-WW- -LLLWL--L W

Next week is the first round and we are hosting Nudgee College. Exciting times.

markTHEblake
27th March 2011, 03:03 PM
as the team captain wanted to know our finishing scores so he can work out the team and positions for next week.

What a dill. Fair enough to ask for players to record scores but to force both players to putt out is just plain nonsense.

AndyP
27th March 2011, 04:12 PM
What a dill. Fair enough to ask for players to record scores but to force both players to putt out is just plain nonsense.It's possible that the person that got the card off him misinterpreted what he meant. It wasn't told to me directly.

Although the floods and the first captain going in for back surgery have been setbacks, things haven't been that well organised. We should have been having trials at other clubs.
Ashgrove was checking out our course today and Lucas told me that Jindalee have practiced at Sandgate and Ashgrove.

markTHEblake
27th March 2011, 04:30 PM
My humble team nearly pulled off a surprise win against last years finalists, losing 4/3 with the last match going into a playoff. Their bloke chipped in on the 18th (was lucky it went in) to square his match and then won on 19th . That just about wraps it up for us now, the best we can do is make sure we hang on to 4th spot which is pretty good for us scrubbers out of 7 teams.

I was going to play #1 and take a hit for the team :-) but at the last min, decided to play normal order and i resumed my #7 spot, and ended up playing their #1 anyway....:roll: He was another ex-touring Pro.

I played alright and held my own for 2/3 of the round and lost 4/2. Last two holes I tanked, he handed em to me on a silver platter and I dropped the lot, that was very disappointing.

I have never seen someone hole so many putts, and bloody long ones too. I make an honest two putt birdie, he goes clanging around in the trees and gets up and down with a 5 iron by holing a 10m putt. At least I thought, if I didn't play well to make a birdie I would have lost the hole!

I dont let stuff like that rattle me, because you know blokes cant keep holing putts for ever, and surely I can make a couple. Today i was wrong, wont happen again though.

timah!
27th March 2011, 07:45 PM
A tough day out a Riverlakes today. Perhaps 'Windylakes' would have been more appropriate. Every hole felt like we were hitting into it. Which sets up 'so awesomely' for someone who hits a ridiculously high ball.

Ended up getting pummelled, but not because I played badly. My opponent was +8 off the stick after 13 holes, and was just too good. I was making bogeys, he was making pars etc. I even chipped in...to halve a hole. Like MtB, this guy was holing putts from everywhere, I never had a look in.
So whilst the result was disappointing, I wasn't unhappy with my game. I was starting to hit driver well which is giving me more confidence in my swing. I feel like i'm not that far away from finally getting my whole game going in the right direction. A few less 'aggressive' shots and a bit more 'planning' will see me into the teens shortly.

Minor_Threat
27th March 2011, 07:49 PM
My humble team nearly pulled off a surprise win against last years finalists, losing 4/3 with the last match going into a playoff. Their bloke chipped in on the 18th (was lucky it went in) to square his match and then won on 19th . That just about wraps it up for us now, the best we can do is make sure we hang on to 4th spot which is pretty good for us scrubbers out of 7 teams.

I was going to play #1 and take a hit for the team :-) but at the last min, decided to play normal order and i resumed my #7 spot, and ended up playing their #1 anyway....:roll: He was another ex-touring Pro.

I played alright and held my own for 2/3 of the round and lost 4/2. Last two holes I tanked, he handed em to me on a silver platter and I dropped the lot, that was very disappointing.

I have never seen someone hole so many putts, and bloody long ones too. I make an honest two putt birdie, he goes clanging around in the trees and gets up and down with a 5 iron by holing a 10m putt. At least I thought, if I didn't play well to make a birdie I would have lost the hole!

I dont let stuff like that rattle me, because you know blokes cant keep holing putts for ever, and surely I can make a couple. Today i was wrong, wont happen again though.Who was the ex pro MTB?

Steve57
27th March 2011, 09:24 PM
A tough day out a Riverlakes today. Perhaps 'Windylakes' would have been more appropriate. Every hole felt like we were hitting into it. Which sets up 'so awesomely' for someone who hits a ridiculously high ball.

Ended up getting pummelled, but not because I played badly. My opponent was +8 off the stick after 13 holes, and was just too good. I was making bogeys, he was making pars etc. I even chipped in...to halve a hole. Like MtB, this guy was holing putts from everywhere, I never had a look in.
So whilst the result was disappointing, I wasn't unhappy with my game. I was starting to hit driver well which is giving me more confidence in my swing. I feel like i'm not that far away from finally getting my whole game going in the right direction. A few less 'aggressive' shots and a bit more 'planning' will see me into the teens shortly.

Bad luck Tim.
It would have been tough out there today particularly as you had not seen the course before.
It was windy at Carbrook too.
Team lost 5 1/2 to 1 1/2 but I managed to halve my match at No 1 after being dormie two down.
See you Wednesday at Carbrook.

timah!
27th March 2011, 09:32 PM
Yeah, it was tough, but enjoyable all the same. It was good to see my opponent play some great golf. There was nothing I could do in the scheme of the match, so I just played golf.
A chip in on 12 was pretty enjoyable. Am looking forward to Shark lake, hopefully I can keep improving. Things are heading in the right direction at least.

Will have to find out how the team finished up, hopefully we got away with a 3-2 win.

AndyP
27th March 2011, 09:36 PM
If the last Shark Lake is anything to go by, get used to the wind destroying your game.

Steve57
27th March 2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah, it was tough, but enjoyable all the same. It was good to see my opponent play some great golf. There was nothing I could do in the scheme of the match, so I just played golf.
A chip in on 12 was pretty enjoyable. Am looking forward to Shark lake, hopefully I can keep improving. Things are heading in the right direction at least.

Will have to find out how the team finished up, hopefully we got away with a 3-2 win.

I have just emailed all the results off to the District.
Your team lost 3/2 - you lost 2 matches on the 18th.

Minor_Threat
27th March 2011, 09:38 PM

Will have to find out how the team finished up, hopefully we got away with a 3-2 win.Can I ask why you didn't hang around until the end Timah? This is something that frustrated me with Pennants this year, no-one waits around or supports the games still going anymore?

timah!
27th March 2011, 09:41 PM
Can I ask why you didn't hang around until the end Timah? This is something that frustrated me with Pennants this year, no-one waits around or supports the games still going anymore?

I usually would M_T (I hung around another 2 hours in the rain last week), but after 5 hours, there are things that still need to be done on a Sunday arvo.

sms316
27th March 2011, 09:41 PM
Can I ask why you didn't hang around until the end Timah? This is something that frustrated me with Pennants this year, no-one waits around or supports the games still going anymore?

You need to put a rule in at the start of the year that anyone who does this (without prior excuse for work etc) has to shout the rest of the team. Works well.

timah!
27th March 2011, 09:42 PM
I have just emailed all the results off to the District.
Your team lost 3/2 - you lost 2 matches on the 18th.

Damn! We're done for the season then.

Minor_Threat
27th March 2011, 09:44 PM
I usually would M_T (I hung around another 2 hours in the rain last week), but after 5 hours, there are things that still need to be done on a Sunday arvo.Fair enough mate I was just curious. A bit of a "pet hate" of mine I guess..

AndyP
27th March 2011, 09:48 PM
That after round socialising is what I am looking forward to.

I've made a couple of friends at the club, but still know very few. Unfortunately my more regular playing partners won't be at the club next year (Oxy included).

timah!
27th March 2011, 09:51 PM
Fair enough mate I was just curious. A bit of a "pet hate" of mine I guess..

I didn't like doing it, I agree with you, i'd rather walk around and support. It's just frustrating the speed of play. We were just short of 5 hours, I could only imagine how long the other matches were, given that they went to 18.

There are more than enough grumblings about being continually scheduled 12pm tee-offs.

markTHEblake
27th March 2011, 10:45 PM
Who was the ex pro MTB?

Dylan someone - Cameron? Local gold coaster, Big tall unit, probably fit two of me in him and have some room left over. Said he played canadian tour and quit about 4 years ago.

AndyP
31st March 2011, 03:42 PM
I've just received a text message from the captain telling me that I'll be #7 (out of 9) on Sunday. Are we there yet?

timah!
31st March 2011, 03:44 PM
Just wait for the one that says you're teeing off at 11.30!

AndyP
31st March 2011, 04:35 PM
We are off the first at 7am, starting at #9. Our masters and juniors play from the 10th. One of the BDGA rules is that there must not be social play on the course beforehand or something like that.

timah!
31st March 2011, 04:48 PM
Far out, wouldn't that be nice. Bloody SEQDGA!

shazza_rs
1st April 2011, 02:43 PM
2nd round of pennant today at Indooroopilly. Played the west course (gold and red 9's). Ended up with a Square after being down 3 at the turn. The lady I played against was off 8. Happy to halve, as I was always down a hole or two. I did win all the par 3's with is funny because I didn't hit any of them and she was on them all in one. Gotta love a good short game :)

Our team went down to McLeod 4 to 3..... 4x squares, 1 win (3/2) and 2 losses (1 down in both). Very close golf.

Eag's
1st April 2011, 02:49 PM
Nice comeback Shaz.

AndyP
1st April 2011, 03:02 PM
Well done against an 8 marker, Shaz. Do you find out what they play off before or after the round?

shazza_rs
1st April 2011, 03:11 PM
There is a team list that you can have a look at before the round if you wish. I try not to look at the list until after the round. I did know that all the McLeod girls had lower handicaps than us before hitting off though, as our non playing captain thought we might get a flogging!

Lucasto23
1st April 2011, 03:49 PM
Well played shazza

AndyP
1st April 2011, 04:21 PM
Are you playing for Jindalee, Lucas?

AndyP
3rd April 2011, 01:34 PM
I had a win on my pennants debut, although I would have liked it to be more convincing. It went to the 18th against a 12 marker for a 2up win. The club beat Nudgee College 17 to 2.

-W--W-L-WWLW---LLW

I felt like I controlled the match most of the time and he hung in there with some good and lucky up and downs. Three putting the 14th and 15th for halves were wasted opportunities for me to close out the match, before he got up and down for a couple of good pars in the last few to send us down the 18th. I only needed to hit my drive on that hole though, as he had some OOB trouble, then conceded (which I wouldn't have done in his position). I wouldn't have been that many over the handicap in the end, but it felt like I had some soft bogeys, plus a double.

On the gamesmanship side of things, he didn't do himself any favours by not taking notice of the local rules or rules for the day, by not using preferred lie when available and playing off a cart path when he didn't have to; and I wasn't about to offer the information to him. He didn't give anything away in terms of conceding putts, except tap-ins; it will be interesting to see if others are like that.

I've been dropped a spot to #8 for next week against Sandgate away.

shazza_rs
3rd April 2011, 04:12 PM
Congrats Andy!

Eag's
3rd April 2011, 04:26 PM
Well done AP.

timah!
3rd April 2011, 05:52 PM
Played at Logan City GC today. Had 4 & 3 win, which now puts me at 2w, 2l and 1 halve for the season. Looking forward to next week to try and go 3-2-1.

Played pretty well given the conditions, the course was just slop. Why carts were allowed out is beyond me, the 'fariways' are now mostly mud.
I also totally understand P's comments about etiquette/sportsmanship. There are some people/teams that don't endear themselves to others very well. It's not that hard to do the right thing on a golf course.

Am really starting to find the middle of my driver, which is putting me in some good positions. A bit more refinement, and this season should lead me into getting the H'cap down in normal Sat comps.

Team had our second win of the season (again, 5-0 :roll:) but it's all a little too late.

Next week, Gainsborough Greens. The rumour is yet another 12.30pm tee off. FFS!

Grunt
3rd April 2011, 06:58 PM
Well done guys Pennants is something I really miss playing in from not having a home club close by.

Lucasto23
3rd April 2011, 07:55 PM
Had my first game today for Jindalee and went down swinging losing 2am on 18.
We got flogged by ashgrove 18 -1 so that tells a story. Had a chance to square the match on 17 and missed the putt on the low side. And the 18th was shocking. Came back from 4 down after 9 so was happy with that.

AndyP
3rd April 2011, 08:04 PM
What number are you playing at Lucas? We don't have Ashgrove until May 15.

shazza_rs
3rd April 2011, 08:05 PM
Good comeback Lucas even if you didn't get it over the line. To make it to 18 after being down 4 at the turn is good golfing! Bugger about your team losing.

Lucasto23
3rd April 2011, 08:11 PM
Good comeback Lucas even if you didn't get it over the line. To make it to 18 after being down 4 at the turn is good golfing! Bugger about your team losing.
Thanks shazza, was happy with my fight back :)

Lucasto23
3rd April 2011, 08:12 PM
What number are you playing at Lucas? We don't have Ashgrove until May 15.

Andy, I am first reserve mate, good win today it's a great way to start.

markTHEblake
3rd April 2011, 08:15 PM
He didn't give anything away in terms of conceding putts, except tap-ins; it will be interesting to see if others are like that

Try not to even get yourself into a position where you are thinking a golfer should have conceded a putt. Expect to hole every putt including tap ins and if he concedes any putt thats a bonus. The last thing you want is to be standing over a tiddler and thinking he should have given it to you.

I have never come across a golfer that doesn't concede anything, though one of my team mates played one last week. He conceded his opponents putt, but his putt own was shorter and he was made to putt out. That was just our young fellas inexperience really he shouldnt have conceded first, but the other guy shouldnt have been a dickhead about it.

razaar
4th April 2011, 04:07 PM
Try not to even get yourself into a position where you are thinking a golfer should have conceded a putt. Expect to hole every putt including tap ins and if he concedes any putt thats a bonus. The last thing you want is to be standing over a tiddler and thinking he should have given it to you.

I have never come across a golfer that doesn't concede anything, though one of my team mates played one last week. He conceded his opponents putt, but his putt own was shorter and he was made to putt out. That was just our young fellas inexperience really he shouldnt have conceded first, but the other guy shouldnt have been a dickhead about it.

Some guys will test you on the first hole or two to see if you are sus on short putts. If he continues to not concede makeable putts (without you missing) that suggests to me that he is not confident on short ones himself.

AndyP
4th April 2011, 04:38 PM
I think I may have been misinterpreted by a few. My opponent did nothing wrong, and I didn't expect any putts to be given. I'm merely making observations based on being relatively new to proper stroke matchplay.

The same can't be said about some of my teammate's opponents. Making a guy putt when he has four or more putts to safely win is ridiculous.

Thank you to those for the congratulations, as well.

Grunt
4th April 2011, 04:44 PM
In piece of advice I got from a club A Grade pennants player when I was playing b/c grade pennants was to give putts around 3-4 feet early and towards the end start telling them to putt them.

It worked spectacularly once was in a match I had to win to get through to the next round, on the 16th green the guy was one down and needed a 2 footer for half and he went to pick it up, I said "no putt it". he totally lost it and missed it. He was gone and proceeded to put his drive OOB on the 17th and the game was over.

markTHEblake
4th April 2011, 05:43 PM
In piece of advice I got from a club A Grade pennants player when I was playing b/c grade pennants was to give putts around 3-4 feet early and towards the end start telling them to putt them.

Many people say that and it is just bollocks. Why would anyone concede a missable putt for 'tactics' is just silly, the player may not have a putt that long for the rest of the round. Basically if it is a putt that is long enough for a player to miss, then dont concede it. Doesnt matter whether it is the first or the last.

There is however a natural tendency for the 'gimme' length to shrink over the course of the round, that is pretty standard.

Though I did contradict myself just now by conceding a putt generously on the first hole yesterday but that was different, I just thought it was fair. It was slightly less than 3ft, had a huge spike mark in his line, raining and there was 4 hours of social players on the course in front of us (typical Gold Coast country club). I just figured that as it was only for a half , and if not for the spike mark, I probably would have given it anyway. It was also an opportunity to set the tone, as it was a hard day out.

razaar
4th April 2011, 09:24 PM
Last Sunday was the last day of our 2011 Masters pennant and my last game in this comp - forever. Today was the second round of the Seniors & Vets pennant (played one Monday in the month off handicaps) at Pacific Harbour. Played well in the wind for a 7& 5 win and even par for 13 holes from the gold tees.

sms316
5th April 2011, 06:43 AM
my last game in this comp - forever.

Don't blame you. Easily the most ridiculous pennant competition ever.

AndyP
5th April 2011, 11:32 PM
When you look at the results my teammates had, it makes me look pretty ordinary.
http://www.bdga.org.au/index.php/pennants/event-detail/585/

Two 9&7 matches!!!!

shazza_rs
8th April 2011, 05:10 PM
Had a 4/3 win today at Wantima against Brisbane. Team had a good win 6-1 with some big scores (6/5, 2x4/3, 4/2).

Lucasto23
8th April 2011, 05:15 PM
great work shazza :}

AndyP
8th April 2011, 05:21 PM
Good win, Shaz.

It's a shame that you couldn't get some revenge on Moe, but another lady had to take her place after she injured her wrist.

markTHEblake
8th April 2011, 05:50 PM
On Sunday I did manage to pull my first win of the season, I was getting really worried I was going to have my first ever skinner for a season, never had worse than 50% before. I must be getting old. Teed off in the rain at Gold Coast country club, and played crap early, pulled a putt out of my bum to stay 2 down after 5, the guy was closer to the green in 2 than I was for 3, and I was thinking I am going to get rolled by 7 or 8 holes here until I made that putt. Then after hitting the ball through a tree instead of around it, and bouncing out of a bunker instead of staying in it, I won a hole, and parred in from there to take the money 1 up.

They guy spent the entire round trying to get into my head. The laugh was on him because there is nothing in there.

We lost 4/3 to Hope Island, much too classy for us, their no 5 plays off scratch, and for the 2nd week in a row against the top side, the round was decided on the last by a good shot by the opposition. This is still an awesome result for us to give these better teams a fright, when on paper, we should be in B grade, even then we were 3 players short, we had to pull in a 10 hcapper, and he Won!

AndyP
8th April 2011, 05:53 PM
Do any of you guys have to sing after all the matches have finished, and you are in the clubhouse? We sang "For They Are Jolly Good Fellows". It was weird.

Lucasto23
8th April 2011, 06:16 PM
mate, BDGA tradition. get used to it :)

Pencil
8th April 2011, 07:13 PM
Double header this weekend. I play in 2 different pennant comps. The dates have just aligned this time so it 18 a day this weekend. On my current form I may be the first back into the bar tomorrow.

sms316
8th April 2011, 08:26 PM
mate, BDGA tradition. get used to it :)

It's ****ed in the head. If you ever get to play against RQ you don't need to worry about it.

Minor_Threat
8th April 2011, 10:48 PM
Do any of you guys have to sing after all the matches have finished, and you are in the clubhouse? We sang "For They Are Jolly Good Fellows". It was weird.Sounds like something we did in U/9's soccer.

Pencil
9th April 2011, 07:47 PM
All DQ with thru 17, smoke my tee shot down 18, short par 4 OB all the way down the left fairway, green tucked a little more left surrounded in white pegs. I'm nearly frony edge high 10 right. Other guy hits it to 15 feet for 2. I maqnage to shank behind a tree, make 5 and lose 1 down. Muppet.............

markTHEblake
10th April 2011, 04:54 PM
I'm back. Night golf has been cancelled at Emerald Lakes cos the lights have been shot out. Won 7/6 and am pretty sure that its the first time I have not lost a hole and not had a bogey. Could not beleive how good I played, seemed like I was walking on water, must be the new driver.

Team won 4/3 and we finished 4th out of 7, pretty good result for us.

AndyP
10th April 2011, 05:18 PM
Another win for myself and the team today against Sandgate.

After my relegation to #8 despite winning last week (effectively 2 spots with our #1 missing this week), I had an easy 7 and 5 win. If I had have lost or even a close win, I think I might have been at risk of getting dropped to reserve for the next match. It sounds harsh, but our open men have only lost 2 matches out of 18 now. We had a 7 marker come into #7 from our reserves this week, and the #1 will be back for the next match. I don't know who the captain is going to drop, as it was our #2 that lost on the last hole (and had to start the song afterwards as a result).

I got there early and jogged around the course mapping points on my Neo and had a practice hole. I did nothing special to win my match, but I didn't need to. I just kept it safe with pars and bogeys. Hopefully I can step up when I need to.

Match WLWWWW-W- LWWW

After finishing my match early, I then caddied for the #1 (normally #5) who was 2 down through 9 when I took his bag. He is a good player and used to be off 5, but struggles at Wally Park and has drifted to 8. He has dropped the driver from his bag recently, but who needs it when you hit a 1 iron 230m. With my awesome advice and caddying skills, he shot 2 under for the next 8 holes to win 3 and 1. It was really enjoyable watching him play well and helping where I could.

The team got up 12 1/2 to 6 1/2, and don't play for another three weeks now with a match away to Jindalee. Ashgrove no doubt smashed Nudgee College today and will be top of the table.

shazza_rs
10th April 2011, 06:57 PM
Well played Andy and Blakey.

Oxy
10th April 2011, 07:27 PM
Nice work Andy and the overall win for Wally Park.
Also well done on the bag for #1.

BrisVegas
10th April 2011, 07:51 PM
Do any of you guys have to sing after all the matches have finished, and you are in the clubhouse? We sang "For They Are Jolly Good Fellows". It was weird.

Fellows? Have you joined McLeod?

Congrats on your win and bag skills. Penants is fun hey!

It's interesting to see the gamesmanship that goes on Penants. I'm generally a pretty generous 'conceder' of putts in matchplay and stayed true to form in my match yesterday. 3 or 4 times through the round I was made to putt 2,3 and 4 footers after I'd conceded my opponents putts. He missed more greens than me, but chipped it close a bunch. I hit more greens, but was miles away. Then on the 18th I had another long two putt for the win. I hit the first putt a bit too hard and left myself about 3 foot back down the hill, slight left to right. My opponent was 15 feet away on a similar line and there was an awkward moment where I think he thought I was waiting for him to concede my putt (and the match). By this stage there were a few spectators and the other guy announced, "oh, he's been making them all day". I was thinking to myself, "yeah, because you've been making me putt them all day you prick! He stepped up and belted his 15 footer into the cup, which meant I had to make the putt for match. I gotta tell you, I was shitting bricks. If it had been up hill, I could have just hit it straight and firm, but as it was a downhiller, with left to right, I had to just breathe on it and actually started it outside the hole. I had a head full of thoughts about missing it and going down the 19th and losing it.... Stressfull!

markTHEblake
10th April 2011, 08:10 PM
If I had have lost or even a close win, I think I might have been at risk of getting dropped to reserve for the next match. It sounds harsh, but our open men have only lost 2 matches out of 18 now.
Its tough if you are at the bottom of the order, cos sometimes you have to get dropped to give someone else a game so enough players qualify for the final. I learnt a very harsh lesson when I was 18 that grizzling about team selections or batting order no matter how justified I was, is the fast road to get the arse.

Penants is fun hey!

I gotta tell you, I was shitting bricks..... I had a head full of thoughts about missing it and going down the 19th and losing it.... Stressfull!That is the best part, Pennants is fun hey! I was the same last week, was nervous as hell playing the last hole, and birdied it.

3 or 4 times through the round I was made to putt 2,3 and 4 footers after I'd conceded my opponents putts.are you saying that you conceded a putt, and then he made you putt yours on the same hole?

I wouldnt ever concede his putt if I was inside him.

BrisVegas
10th April 2011, 09:13 PM
are you saying that you conceded a putt, and then he made you putt yours on the same hole?

I wouldnt ever concede his putt if I was inside him.

no, on a few occasions, he chipped from greenside or bunkers to pretty close and I conceded those putts to him. I then lag putted to a similar or slightly worse distance and he made me putt them. No biggie, but it's an interesting approach. He conceded a few putts elsewhere in the round, when it was kick in length. His comment on the last green was funny though, because he'd obviously been testing me through the round.

markTHEblake
10th April 2011, 10:30 PM
no, on a few occasions, he chipped from greenside or bunkers to pretty close and I conceded those putts to him. I then lag putted to a similar or slightly worse distance and he made me putt them.

I wouldn't ever concede a putt in such a situation, and neither would most people, to avoid that exact scenario. I suspect he took deliberate advantage of you there. It is quite common to have the guy mark his ball then perhaps concede his after you putt.

What you can do to wankers that do not concede your putts that are stupidly obvious and he is putting next, is to stand your ground and make no approach to your ball to mark it. They will soon get the hint, I have had some classic reactions to that one.

BrisVegas
11th April 2011, 05:58 AM
I wouldn't ever concede a putt in such a situation, and neither would most people, to avoid that exact scenario. I suspect he took deliberate advantage of you there. It is quite common to have the guy mark his ball then perhaps concede his after you putt.

Fair enough. Shows how little matchplay experience I've had.

razaar
11th April 2011, 09:41 AM
At least you won Dion and played it like you expected to be treated. There are quite a few who can't seal the deal when they are up in the match. Its a bonus leaving the opposition thinking that you are not a prick.

AndyP
11th April 2011, 09:58 AM
I like what Spiersy had to say on matchplay.
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/1114-Matchplay-tips?p=22076&viewfull=1#post22076

If I think they will make it, I'll concede, if not, I'll make them putt.
There was only one putt that I didn't concede that I was pretty sure he was going to get. I was 5up through 8, and thought I might get a cheap hole on the 9th to snuff out any chance. He had no trouble with it.

I'm enjoying both the team and individual aspects of playing pennants.

markTHEblake
11th April 2011, 08:59 PM
If I think they will make it, I'll concede, if not, I'll make them putt.

Good point. I gave a bloke a putt a couple weeks ago that was in the 'iffy' range, because it was the first hole, it was raining, and a couple of spike large marks in his line. Just figured it would be a nice why to set the tone, cos i got the impression he might be a Laycock. I was wrong about that, he was much worse.

I'm enjoying both the team and individual aspects of playing pennants.

Thats awesome Andy. This is the reason I started the ozgolf matchplay because that was something I saw that the majority of ozgolfers were not experiencing (at all), for me it is the best part about playing golf.

BrisVegas
12th April 2011, 07:29 AM
At least you won Dion and played it like you expected to be treated. There are quite a few who can't seal the deal when they are up in the match. Its a bonus leaving the opposition thinking that you are not a prick.

thanks Ray, that's exactly my point.

PeteyD
12th April 2011, 07:41 AM
It is an impressive win Dion. Enjoy it. I would like to play more match games. At least I get one a year.

BrisVegas
12th April 2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks Petey. I'm actually keen to play the ozgolf matchplay again next year now. I didn't sign up for it this year, as it's a hassle to get to "extra-curricular" games, but I do enjoy the format. I just need to sneak out a few shots to have a chance against the ozgolf crowd. :wink:

Talart
12th April 2011, 09:25 AM
Our Pennants started on Sunday, team won with 4 games to 1. With me the losing rep. Have to admit that I was not all that fired up to play it 100%. Even thouigh I enjoy matchplay the lack of players at the clubs interest in playing in the comp. has it gaining the relevance of no meaning to me. I will try to play as well as I can but until the week before the comp. began we were looking at pulling out.

AndyP
1st May 2011, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately we lost to Jindalee today, 10 1/2 to 8 1/2. Overall there were a lot of close matches, with many making it to the final couple of holes, but we just didn't fall over the line. To make the final now, we are going to have to beat the top team Ashgrove at home in two weeks time and even then, we'll probably have to rely on individual match win/loss results to get through.

I got bumped back up to #7 for today, despite our #1 coming back into the side. Once again, I got there early to do some mapping and have some practice hits. Right from the start I knew I was going to struggle to get the ball to the hole putting. They just seemed so slow to me. I guess that will happen when you keep playing courses set up for their big championships in the weeks leading in.

My match was a close one the whole way and neither of us led by more than one hole at any time (my opponent was a 9 marker). I played a few bad holes and was pretty dirty on throwing away the 6th/15th both times I played it, by missing the fairway and then hitting trees getting out. I also felt some good approach shots were wasted by flushing my shot, but judging the elevation change wrong and finishing short/long. I guess that's where home course advantage comes in.

After leaving a putt for a win on the 9th just 1cm short of the hole and turning 1dn, I hit 7 out of the next 9 greens to put some pressure on. For the most part my opponent was up to it, getting up and down often. I felt like I was playing well, but I was still 1dn after throwing away the 15th. I stuck to my good play, while he dropped off and won the next two holes to go one up and found myself just off the back of the par 4 18th after 2 shots, while he was 50m short of the green. He got his 3rd shot to the right area of the green, but left with a 5m+ putt down the hill. I put my chip shot down a slope to within a couple of metres, but far from a gimme. He made a great putt and dropped his in the front of the cup putting the pressure right back on me. I was up for it, and snuck it in the side of the cup for a 1up win.

Match ---W-L-L- W-L-WLWW- 1up

Only two of us in the opens have won every match now, and it's looking like I'll be bumped up to #5 or something. It means I'll probably have to play a 4 or 5 marker since Ashgrove have a stronger team. That will be a good test. Hopefully I can learn to play my home course in the meantime.

Lucasto23
1st May 2011, 05:01 PM
Well played Andy, who did you play against? And go the mighty JINDALEE :)

AndyP
1st May 2011, 10:46 PM
I played against Perry. He was pretty solid and didn't stuff up many holes. In his position, I wouldn't have used a driver on 16 when one up (and then put it into the bunker).

I stuffed up 6 both times, and was disappointed to go short then long to the green on the times I played the 3rd. Hitting the 4th green both times was nice though.

Lucasto23
2nd May 2011, 07:13 AM
Nice, Perry has a solid short game. Well done and good luck with your match against ashgrove.

AndyP
15th May 2011, 01:17 PM
Go Wally Park, you good things! Woohoo!

Pencil
15th May 2011, 02:31 PM
We played our semi final yesterday. We cleaned them up only losing 1 match along the way, which for a change wasn't me. To make the final interesting we're going to end up playing the other team for our club who also won their semi after qualifying through the other side of the draw. Should be a pretty good bus trip next weekend, no doubt a sledgefest on the way up to the venue course, and a pub crawl on the way back.

AndyP
15th May 2011, 02:59 PM
I'm very happy to report that Wolston Park got up, 10.5 to 8.5 (I think), over the previously undefeated top side, Ashgrove, at our home course in a must win match. This ensures we will play in the final against Ashgrove at Ashgrove in the final next week, regardless of Jindalee's result against Sandgate because of a superior for and against match record.

I played at #7 again today and played very poorly, with all parts of my game underperforming. I parred very few holes and that's not going to do you any favours against a 6 marker. After putting my drive OOB on our 8th hole by a long, long way, it was looking like it could be over very early, as I was 4 down then. I got back into it a little and my opponent dropped off and I got to 2 down through 12. He was playing bogey golf, and I just couldn't get my game going to make a few pars and take the game back. In the end, I went down 3 and 1, but I'm very happy that it didn't cost the club the match.

Match LLL-WL-LW --W--LWL 3 and 1 down

I'm excited about playing a pennants final next week, and know that I will be able to put in a good show at another course, since I have a global handicap (as opposed to being a home course hero).

markTHEblake
15th May 2011, 03:22 PM
It was the loss you had to have AP! ;-)

there is no shame in getting beat on the 17th, that is an indication that you were never out of the game and put up a great fight cos you were only ever 1 shot away from making it to the 18th and from there its only 1 shot away from winning.

AndyP
15th May 2011, 03:45 PM
The first loss in any form of matchplay in over 3 years.

I was dormie 3, so the best I could hope for was a half. The good thing is that I know I could have won that match if I had have played anything resembling my normal game. I've got a week to find some form.

Lucasto23
15th May 2011, 04:25 PM
Well done to wolly park, those ash grove boys are a bunch of choppers :(

AndyP
15th May 2011, 04:49 PM
Bad break for Jindalee after knocking us off. The strategies with "sacrificing" a couple of lesser players against the opponents good players, and reversing the juniors order are interesting.