PDA

View Full Version : Headland GC - Sunny Coast - ??

Deano
10th June 2005, 02:03 PM
Guys

Got a round happening at Headland GC next week.

Will be my first try out at this track.Haven't heard/read
much about it.

Anyone played there? Thoughts/tips/local knowledge....etc

Tee time is negotiable within reason.What's a good quite time
to get on mid-week?

Deano

andylo
10th June 2005, 02:07 PM
I think I played with AndyP in there at a 2 days comp. (Am I correct AP?)

If I am remebering the right track I think this course is fairly narrow. But both fairway and green are very good condition.

Fair bit of hills so walking is not good for lazy bum (like me)

andylo
10th June 2005, 02:18 PM
yep... can confirm now... that's the one I played b4.

The fairways are narrow enough (not brookwater narrow but narrow). Course is well designed and you can't just driver it everything (dunno how I get away from it on the 1st day of the comp thu)

The greens are not tricky but lots of bunkers surround. Be aware :D

To me this is a course required more smart play and I quite like it. fair bit of dog legs.

Oh... and it's hilly and it's not kidding. I think a standbag is a better choice than pulling buggie if you are not in a cart.

That's all I can remeber.

Deano
10th June 2005, 02:28 PM
andylo

Thank's Mate :)

Haven't played a "different" course in ages so
looking forward to it.
Haven't been 'round here in ages.......how you
been hitting 'em??
Did that range pass work for ya??

Deano

andylo
10th June 2005, 02:32 PM
Hi Deano :)

Yeah.. the range pass works well... and its close to finish :( :lol: (But I go to range often enough... you know. Tonite will be my 7 consecutive nite)

I think I am hitting my irons better but tee shot with driver goes out of hand a bit. Putting... Tez just help me to change something and hopfully I will have a good result to tell.

You can have a look of my updated swing (well... if you wanted to) here....

http://www.ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1514&start=15

AndyP
10th June 2005, 02:47 PM
Spot on, A-Lo. Headland is where we played the 36 hole championship in late March, and the course was in top nick.

Deano, here is a link to there website for some info:
http://www.headlandgolfclub.com.au/

I couldn't tell you when it is quiet there midweek, but check the members area of the website to see what comps you might have to work around.

There has been quite a bit of rain on the Sunshine Coast in the last week, so it will be soft under foot.
The course is fairly hilly, but not too bad (this coming from someone who's home club is all hills). The main hill is getting back to the clubhouse.

I really enjoyed playing there recently, and it was more of a challenge than I remember.

What sort of tips would you like?

Jarro
10th June 2005, 02:50 PM
love that finishing hole 8)

markTHEblake
10th June 2005, 11:29 PM
if there has been any rain in recent times the course will be like a bog in places, the water table seems to be higher than the course at times, so even when its dry their can be water in real weird places. like half way up a hill.

Its never been one of my favourite courses, at least not since all the sunshine coast clubs have upgraded their courses and left headland treading water.

If your sick of playing modern artificial resort courses, you'll enjoy it. Nothing better in my few than country golf courses, should be more of them.

Deano
19th June 2005, 09:28 PM
Guys
Thanx for the info on Headland.
With all the rain on the sunnycoast wednesday
I had to give it a miss. :(

Got to play a mid-arvo front 9 at Tewantin-Noosa though
on thursday.Course was a little wet and slushy.
Could not believe the cost........$25 for 9 holes :shock:
That ain't no special track,plenty of $25 for 18 courses around
I'd much rather play.Plenty of attitude in the Pro-shop too.

Good to back home at the friendly Wynnum GC.
:wink: :lol: Deano

AndyP
19th June 2005, 09:32 PM
Got to play a mid-arvo front 9 at Tewantin-Noosa though
on thursday.......
Could not believe the cost........$25 for 9 holes :shock:
That ain't no special track,plenty of $25 for 18 courses around
I'd much rather play.Plenty of attitude in the Pro-shop too.

That's Noosa for ya. :roll:

I've played there once, and although I didn't think it was that special, I enjoyed it. Mind you, I played well, and used a 2 for 1 voucher.

Deano
19th June 2005, 09:46 PM
AndyP

Yeah it was just a last minute thing.
Found a flyer for the course at the motel/resort
we were stayin' and it must've been old as it stated
$20 for 9.I thought that was steep but being Noosa,and on
holidays.....what the hey.
Then when to disgruntled Jnr-Pro said "That's $27 with the bottle of water" :shock:
Course kinda reminded me of home town track Kempsey in NSW.Only there it's approx $10 for all the holes you can fit in after 3p :wink:

Deano

markTHEblake
19th June 2005, 10:08 PM
thats a bit of a surprise, The pro at Tewantin is one of the nicest gentlemen you would ever meet - Mark Tickle who is also well known as one of qld's finest ever amateur golfers. you would think that would rub off on his staff.

have to agree $25 is too much for a course that isnt anything special. It used to impress me 25 years ago, but standards are much higher now.

it seems that the sunshine coast is starting to go the way of the gold coast. Horton Park is around $40 for 18 holes now, seemed only a couple of years ago all courses around there were $15 for 18.